Blogger.com: Real Life And Real Charts

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

Postby Graham76man » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:49 am

It seems the KC and The Sunshine Band track might be an error on my part. These 1985 charts were done before I could check the titles and artists of records on the internet hence the spelling errors. I suspect this track is something that is in my tape collection, that I have assumed was that band and that title. I will locate the tape tomorrow and find out who the record was actually by. The tape was recorded at the right time for the record. This is not unusual as sometimes I know the record has charted, and I either know the band or acts name, but don't know the title. Sometimes the other way around. Sometimes I think it is by the act and it turns out not to be.
Remember the Compilers only tell me where a record should be in the charts and how many it is sold. They don't tell me the artists or titles of records. And as I am human I do make errors on that front.
For Example in 1981 I had recorded a track down as The Pointer Sisters - Peace on Earth. But when I searched for it I could not find it. I then put the track on a playback test and it turned out to be The Jones Girls - At Peace With Women.
I suspect many chart fans have written a record down in the top 40 and got the name and title wrong.
Education for anyone aged 12 to 16 has made a mess of the world!
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Graham76man » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:44 pm

KC And The Sunshine Band - Dance To The Music --- Should be replaced by Band of Gold - In Love Again.
It was right next to the KC track in the list that I have and got switched by mistake.
And yes it was "When You Dance To The Music".
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Shakyfan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:28 pm

Graham76man wrote:They don't tell me the artists or titles of records.
???? That makes no sense! What DO they give you? A series of numbers?
Shakyfan
Manager

Postby kingofskiffle » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:39 pm

Shakyfan wrote:
In the days of diaries for the official chart it was the catalogue number whic was sent in the diaries and nothing else. So that is quite plausible.
http://thechartbook.co.uk - for the latest are best chart book - By Decade!
kingofskiffle
Superstar

Postby wranglerjeans » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:46 pm

In response to the above information I have now removed the KC & Sunshine Band track and as Band Of Gold is listed in positions 76 to 100 from 1983 to 1991 it has therefore not been included either.
wranglerjeans
Groupie

Postby Shakyfan » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:30 pm

kingofskiffle wrote:
Shakyfan wrote:
In the days of diaries for the official chart it was the catalogue number whic was sent in the diaries and nothing else. So that is quite plausible.
In which case to keep this as accurate as it is supposed to be, the "compilers" wold have had to have catalogue numbers for EVERY release in history INCLUDING bootlegs / pirated copies / imports.

And Graham would have had to have the same list to work out the charts.

I don't think so!
Shakyfan
Manager

Postby Graham76man » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:20 am

I have a list of the available records for each week. And the compilers tell me what to place in the 100 from that. They have already compiled their charts so all they have to tell me where it lands. If it is not on the list the place on my chart will be blank slot till I find it. You will have noticed that on the blog site there are lists recently compiled of 60's and 70's new release records. These are being used to compile the 60's charts, currently up to March 1966. Another going up tomorrow. If I haven't got a accurate list of the weekly records I can't put the chart together. For example the 50's chart can't be done till I have a list of the records that are done monthly in a text form that I can put into Serif Page Plus. There are enough on the 45 Cat site to get a full top 40. But the people who run the site have put a limit of a 100 records in the search. As you can imagine by the end of the 50's more than 100 records were released every month (the industry didn't really move over to weekly releases till 1962/3) so I can't make up a list of the new records. I have told them off about it, but they have now stuck their heals in, I think. And if they were going to change the limit, they won't now.
I know Kingofkiffle would love to see how his avatar does in the Real Charts from the 50's. But until I can get full lists of released records there is nothing I can do about it.
The weekly sales by the way are are from numbers laid out on a top 100 chart. I simply run a pencil down the numbers till I get to the figure they tell me.
Graham76man
Manager

Postby Gambo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:59 pm

So Graham, leaving aside the origins and compilation process of the 'real chart' itself for the moment, are you saying that you have full lists of all UK releases (albeit for only a limited period so far) and the date (week) in which they were released? I personally would find that enormously useful, if it could be vouched-for as being authentic and accurate. I'm a bit of an obsessive when it comes to cataloguing the music I have, and while I have recorded the release week for every single I have bought from 1 January 2001 onwards and ordered the tracks according to that, singles prior to that date have only been ordered by week in which they appeared in the Top 75 chart in the main chart run, as the further one goes back in history, the more scant actual release dates become - even with online resources the best one usually gets is a month and year, and so often I have been able to identify that those details are incorrect by cross-referencing their chart entry dates etc. Ideally, I'd like to re-catalogue my pre-2001 material by release rather than chart entry date; having accurate dates for the 1990s and 1980s in particular would be great.

I can't pretend that I am not sceptical about how you could've come by such information at that level of detail going back to the 1960s, but in a way, if I was satisfied it seemed to be correct, the origins wouldn't be important! How much of that raw release date information are you happy enough with that you would you be willing to share/post it? Apologies if some of this info is already on your blog but I've not got the time to peruse it just now (am meant to be working!).
Gambo
Manager

Postby Graham76man » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:33 pm

They are not mystical beings. They are us in our true form. They don't operate in our physical world so they can't pass the charts or anything else to anyone in a format that is of a solid form.
My communication method is not the type that will allow the names and titles of the songs to be passed to me. So that's why it has to be done like that. I have tried to get them to do it. But the results were poor and not of any use.

As for the new release information. I have extracted so far several years of new release singles, from the 45 cat site. Records were generally released on Friday, so all you need to know is the day of the week. Which you can get from a calender site. Link below
https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/generate.html
On 45 Cat they have a search, it will list all the tracks released for a specific week as long as it doesn't exceed 100. The dates have been filled in by members, often from either new release sheets or promo singles.
I have already been through the 1965 and 1966, 1967, plus 1970 and 1974. These are available as free PDF on the blog link below.
http://therealchart.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/when-records-were-released-in-uk.html
Graham76man
Manager

Postby trebor » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:16 pm

This topic will be locked until further notice!
Thank you for your understanding.

//

This topic is locked: Comments and questions about these charts to be addressed here at Blogger.com!
trebor
Legend

Return to Chart Analysis