287 Under-Certified Albums: They need an updated RIAA Cert

Moderators: trebor, kingofskiffle, nympho

Postby marcsgirl85 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:54 pm

Adele's 21 is owed and 11 x platinum certification as it's sold 11,015,490 as of last week
"the love of a mothers life is her child/children"
marcsgirl85
Manager

Postby thebigham » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:42 pm

^Yes, I know.

This thread is really only for albums that have fallen off the Billboard 200 after their initial chart runs.
thebigham
Legend

Postby Dane » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:12 pm

AC/DC now on twitter! Just tweeted this:

@acdc Hey, Remember to have your record company update RIAA certs for your catalog! BIB, Live, Live 2cd are overdue, DVDs too. Maybe others.
Dane
Superstar

Postby thebigham » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:29 pm

^Great!

But, don't ever mention dvds. Lots of labels ignore albums and just certify the dvds. Example: Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, Rush, Eagles...
thebigham
Legend

Postby Dane » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:38 am

I guess you're right.
Preferably the lot should get an update. But albums are more important!
Dane
Superstar

Postby heh » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:16 am

One more to add to your list - Megadeth - Back to the Start: The Greatest Hits (517,000 as of February 2, 2014).
heh
Roadie

Postby abdon » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:02 am

Great to see this, But I dont think a new Certification will save Megadeth from this MegaChaos 8-)
But that's the way I like it baby I don't want to live forever
and don't forget the joker
abdon
Manager

Postby heh » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:40 am

Hehe, true. But I think the Drover/Broderick resignations were perhaps "asked for" by the Daves. I think they have huge plans for 2015. :D
heh
Roadie

Postby Dane » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:18 am

:o :o

As a point of historical comparison, the Monkees had the No. 1 album in America when Piper at the Gates of Dawn entered the chart at No. 196 on Dec. 2, 1967. And while the Monkees certainly enjoy plenty of nostalgia for their singles, it's safe to say that particular Monkees album -- Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd. -- has long faded from the public's memory. But 47 years later, Pink Floyd is No. 3 on the Billboard 200, Piper is recognized as a classic, Dark Side is one of four albums to be certified at 20-times platinum, and their catalog is essential listening for any rock fan.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/63276 ... t-charting
Dane
Superstar

Postby jimmypages59 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:31 am

Dane wrote:
As a point of historical comparison, the Monkees had the No. 1 album in America when Piper at the Gates of Dawn entered the chart at No. 196 on Dec. 2, 1967. And while the Monkees certainly enjoy plenty of nostalgia for their singles, it's safe to say that particular Monkees album -- Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd. -- has long faded from the public's memory. But 47 years later, Pink Floyd is No. 3 on the Billboard 200, Piper is recognized as a classic, Dark Side is one of four albums to be certified at 20-times platinum, and their catalog is essential listening for any rock fan.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/63276 ... t-charting
Billboard just being bloody useless yet again, getting things wrong and making mistakes. There are 9 albums certified 20m or over (6 proper 20m certs, if we exclude double sets) and only 2 certified exactly at 20m, they surely mean The Wall (and not Dark Side of the Moon) as being 20m+, which they also incorrectly state in the article as being 10 times Platinum. What a bloody terrible article!

1982 Michael Jackson Thriller Epic 29× Platinum
1976 Eagles Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975) Asylum 29× Platinum
1985 Billy Joel Greatest Hits Volume I & Volume II Columbia 23× Platinum
1979 Pink Floyd The Wall Columbia/Capitol 23× Platinum
1971 Led Zeppelin Led Zeppelin IV Atlantic 23× Platinum
1980 AC/DC Back in Black Atlantic 22× Platinum
1998 Garth Brooks Double Live Capitol Nashville 21× Platinum
1997 Shania Twain Come On Over Mercury Nashville 20× Platinum
1977 Fleetwood Mac Rumours Warner Bros. 20× Platinum
jimmypages59
Manager

Postby Topicel » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:08 pm

thebigham wrote:^No, I did not. Re-read the first post.

A thread for under-certified albums based on confirmed SoundScan numbers.

Not a thread for acts who have not had their albums re-certified in years.

If you can find any Who albums that are under-certified based on a SoundScan figure, please let me know.

As I say in the first post, I don't have every under-certified album here.

If I had access to SoundScan, this list would probably be 1,000+ strong.
I guess I'm an old stager, certainly in terms of what I believe 'in print', and, depending on my ability to accept what an organisation is able to deliver, and its ultimate veracity, I guess I also can find 'fault' in most anything when it comes to sales claims.

Why? Well 'cos I have my own original docs that I've bothered record companies about, that's pourquoi! I bet plenty of us UKMers also have a 'collection' of 'unique' data/paperwork. Lord, what a story we could tell ensemble!

I do find it possible to accept we have no alternative for sales measurement 'as the gospel', and one of those is the historical charts - flawed as they are in US terms, and elsewhere (Canada, anyone?). The UK stood proud as the mothership of hit parades for most in the 50s-80s before we witnessed in the past twenty-plus years the US listings become 'reliable', ney, 'understandable', for one equally sensible measure that the British had always employed - sales; and in the reports of Soundscan we had 'certainty'.

Or so we thought. But is it a flawed measure?.Well, not to me. As a fan of old groups and acts and how they 'measured' against each other these totals are mostly fixed and, if we have to believe anything, are truly audited, but as a 'counter' for awards, mmmmm.

I hesitate to ask thebigham but, how sure are you that SS data is equal to a gold or platinum disc? Am I the only 'old fogie' who respects the fact that a record company generally would request a certification - if the act was 'worth it'? Or do you maintain the labels are dead against upgrading their superstars, from Sam Smith to the Beatles?

Is it strictly your view that we have now excuse for all these upgrades, other than SS is always spot on?!

Topicel
Topicel
Manager

Postby thebigham » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:28 pm

^I made this list about SoundScan numbers. To simplify it. It started out with less than 200 albums, but now it is over 300!

If an album has scanned 500,000 copies, I think it's an easy Gold album certification.

If this list was about SoundScan sales + club sales figures, it would be over 500 albums and who has the time to update a list like that? That's overwhelming to me.

Labels certify 60+ digital singles each month. Some months, as little 3 albums are certified. Lately, 10+ albums have been certified each month.

I've spent the last 2 years tweeting artists/labels about certifying albums. I've used this list as a guide.

Most are ignored, but I've had some successes: The Roots, The Dream, Tom Waits, Shinedown, Jason Mraz, Paramore, Trey Songz...

AWOLnation has favorited my tweet about getting their album certified Gold about 20 times, but it is still uncertified.

Republic Records blocked me because I kept tweeting them that Ariana Grande's Your Truly album was eligible for a Gold album certification. How ridiculous.
thebigham
Legend

Postby borderwolf » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:24 am

thebigham wrote:Republic Records blocked me because I kept tweeting them that Ariana Grande's Your Truly album was eligible for a Gold album certification. How ridiculous.
:o
Really?
Prisoner Of Rock'n'Roll
borderwolf
Legend

Postby Topicel » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:44 am

Ok the bigham, not shooting the messenger or criticising your results, just asking whether or not we have any excuse why labels are not applying for these upgrades based on Soundscan evidence?

For instance, you say AWOLnation are favouring your tweets and yet they aren't getting anywhere. Are they still on that label, with the same company? Are they actually getting other awards in recent times since the threshold for the gold album inquestion was exceeded according to SS? Forgive my ignorance.

The same questions for Ariana Grande's 'Yours Truly' album...does Republic Records even apply for awards for their acts?

I mean, how far over the 500k shipment does SS estimate its sales already are? I've yet to hear of a commerical artist who doesn't like to receive these awards, nor a label that even in this day and age not understand the benefits of both better marketing their act when such things can be certified, nor the simple truth of keeping said performers 'sweet'!

So, imho, it is not quite as black-and-white as we may think...which leads to another can of worms I suppose. :(

Topicel
Topicel
Manager

Postby thebigham » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:27 pm

^It's because some labels don't care. They have no interest or they do not want to spend the money on a certification and later a plaque to give to the artist.

Someone told me that when labels had layoffs due to store closings and falling album sales. the staff responsible for certifications were laid off.

With the popularity of digital singles, labels switched to mainly certifying singles.

Remember when AC/DC had 5 Catalog albums re-certified at the same time? That never happens anymore.

Almost every artist in the the RIAA Top Artists, has 1-3 or more under-certified albums: http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinum.php ... ng-artists

Michael Buble's Christmas album is a HUGE hit (3.7 million sold) and his label (Reprise/WBR) hasn't certified it Gold! They just certified it Diamond in Canada! Why do they certify his albums in Canada, but not in the USA?

Capitol Records hasn't even certified Katy Perry's Prism yet. Probably because they certified 30+ digital singles for Katy back in May. They spent their certification budget.

Capitol also hasn't certified 5 Seconds of Summer or Bastille. It would be their 1st Gold albums! Why are they uncertified?

AWOLnation probably has no idea how the certification process works. Their manager should call up their label and ask that the album be certified Gold. You would think that since this is their first Gold album, it would be a priority! They are still on the same label.

Republic Records did certify Ariana Grande's "Yours Truly" Gold eventually.

There's no rhyme or reason it seems to labels certifying albums. Sometimes they care, sometimes they don't.

Chris

PS: My friend was talking to Mariah's management about certifying her singles. Their contact at the label had no idea how to read the SoundScan chart. He gave up trying...
thebigham
Legend

Postby thebigham » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:18 pm

Removed because it was certified Gold:

Now 45 492,000 (12/13)
thebigham
Legend

Postby thebigham » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:09 pm

AWOLnation, Megalithic Symphony, 540,000 (4/14)
thebigham
Legend

Postby thebigham » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:13 pm

Removed because they were certified Gold:

Skrillex, Scary Monsters, 639,427, not certified (4/14)
Skrillex, Bangarang, 596,074, not certified (4/14)
thebigham
Legend

Postby thebigham » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:49 pm

In the past year, 20 albums were removed from this list because they were re-certified.

Out of approx. 325 possible new certifications? UGH
thebigham
Legend

Postby Bcl » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:45 pm

Can this be certified?

Creed, Full Circle, 444,000 copies+
http://www.billboard.com/v/News/CostScottStappsDownw

And this

Evanescence, Evanescence, 452,000 copies+ (look under h
Hard Rock Albums)
http://vakseen.com/site/wp-content/uplo ... 3.2013.pdf

And Maybe Chris Young's Neon too, it sold 441,000 copies according to Hits Double Daily IIRC before A.M. was released.
Bcl
Manager

Postby thebigham » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:55 pm

@Creed Your 2009 album "Full Circle" has sold over 450,000 copies in the USA. Ask Wind-Up Records to certify it #Gold with the #RIAA.

@evanescence Your 2009 album "Evanescence" has sold over 450,000 copies in the USA. Ask Wind-Up Records to certify it #Gold with the #RIAA.

@ChrisYoungMusic Your 2011 album "Neon" has sold over 450,000 copies in the USA. Ask RCA Nashville to certify it #Gold with the #RIAA.
thebigham
Legend

Postby Dane » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:01 pm

Here's another one:

https://books.google.dk/books?id=Y6Dx4q ... an&f=false

From July 2009:

"The Best of Judas Priest: Living After Midnight" 564,000 - not certified
Dane
Superstar

Postby thebigham » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:16 pm

@judaspriest Your album "Best Of: Living After Midnight" has sold over 565,000 copies in the USA. Ask the label to certify it #Gold w/ #RIAA

If you see my tweets on Twitter, please re-tweet them!
thebigham
Legend

Postby thebigham » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:06 pm

Removed because it was certified Platinum:

Bon Jovi, Greatest Hits, 964,000, yet Gold
thebigham
Legend

Postby thebigham » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:22 pm

A$AP Rocky, Long Live A$AP, 490,000, not certified
thebigham
Legend