Best Buy will stop selling CDs

Moderator: biscuits

Postby Jesper » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:29 pm

I feel albums as we know them will also change, for commercial acts at least, there have been some top 40 acts already playing by adding tracks as digital/streaming addition to their current albums to inflate the overall streams.
Jesper
Legend

Postby Guru » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:32 am

DnBLover wrote:
MusicRecords wrote:About time! Saves tons of cheap plastic 8-)
This is a really good point. Plastic needs to be cut from society and this is a start.
Watch pollution (or whatever) drop by 0.00001% :lol:
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby ferrero » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:02 pm

How do u guys even play your CDs on the go? I thought discmans are extinct? :lol: :lol:
ferrero
Manager

Postby stevyy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:36 pm

ferrero wrote:How do u guys even play your CDs on the go? I thought discmans are extinct? :lol: :lol:
amazon gives you the autorip mp3 version. The CD is only for the shelf - to look amazing and to be kissed when you're cleaning it.

However, I still play CDs occasionally at home... I worship my Vinyls though... what a SOUND
stevyy
Legend

Postby Guru » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:12 pm

ferrero wrote:How do u guys even play your CDs on the go? I thought discmans are extinct? :lol: :lol:
I play it in my car (even though it’s on my iPhone and my car has Bluetooth) and I play it in my Blu Ray player which has surround sound 8-)
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby biscuits » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:17 pm

I don’t know Best Buy
TheRealest wrote:Chy tf plz biscuits girl
biscuits
The Diva

Postby stevyy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:17 pm

Guru wrote:
I play it in my car (even though it’s on my iPhone and my car has Bluetooth) and I play it in my Blu Ray player which has surround sound 8-)
mine too, my bluray player is connected to my stereo (my TV as well)... I cannot listen to music in bad audio quality anymore. I need to feel the bass in my body. :D
stevyy
Legend

Postby GetBack » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:08 am

stevyy wrote:
The CD is only for the shelf - to look amazing and to be kissed when you're cleaning it.

However, I still play CDs occasionally at home... I worship my Vinyls though... what a SOUND
I also play them at home! :cry: :cry: :cry:

They stay in a room like books on a shelf for collection purposes, I haven't kissed them though. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Level Up!
GetBack
Legend

Postby jpguy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:28 am

This physical thing is just gone. People aren't going to be carrying around that new drake album on a car or on a trip lol. Most people, go into a phone, pick a couple tracks here and there and that's it. Sadly the music industry is where we never wanted it to be 5 years ago.
And the GP doesn't care. Just like AOL closing down, people felt nostalgia yet no one used it in the last 5 years lol
::: Christina Aguilera - Liberation IS COMING 6.15.18 :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby GetBack » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:05 am

jpguy wrote:This physical thing is just gone. People aren't going to be carrying around that new drake album on a car or on a trip lol. Most people, go into a phone, pick a couple tracks here and there and that's it. Sadly the music industry is where we never wanted it to be 5 years ago.
And the GP doesn't care. Just like AOL closing down, people felt nostalgia yet no one used it in the last 5 years lol
I feel like that Drake playlist or the his 2-song EP is where everyone is eventually headed. Sadly, there will come a time when albums will not matter (since people will just listen and save their fave songs from Spotify anyway) and everything will just be stand-alone! :cry: :cry:
Level Up!
GetBack
Legend

Postby Jesper » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:25 am

GetBack wrote:I feel like that Drake playlist or the his 2-song EP is where everyone is eventually headed. Sadly, there will come a time when albums will not matter (since people will just listen and save their fave songs from Spotify anyway) and everything will just be stand-alone! :cry: :cry:
Actually no, I don't think that is where we are heading at all. I think artists will got for a 8 to 10 track album, push 2 singles and then add a few tracks to inflate streams all together, that's the same Shawn Mendes did by adding There's Nothing Holding me Back and Fifth Harmony tried to 'save' their era by adding that non event of a Pitbull feature onto their selftitled album.

Albums will be just a collection of songs and every random thing that can add to the streaming numbers will be added.Drake can survive with a 2-track EP, but record labels want those inflated certifications and those won't happen with 2 tracks for most acts.

Let's hope Nicki Minaj won't start doing this, imagine her adding all her features to her then most recent album :lol:
Jesper
Legend

Postby NothingFails » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:25 pm

This all is a reason I am glad I do follow a lot of alternative acts... that is one genre that albums still "matter" in, even if it's just a niche genre but the artists in the genre still rate the album as a collective whole as more significant than a single or two.

This IMO is also a reason I think its disappointed so many people that Beyonce and Kendrick have not won AOTY.... in this streaming age where singles are all that matter, they're still making albums meant to be absorbed as a whole, and yet both lose to artists who have a lot of hit singles off one album? I mean, in the US, Lemonade SOLD more than a million copies more than ANTI did even though Rihanna's album had much bigger singles, but Lemonade demanded to be bought whereas people were fine with ANTI's singles.
NothingFails
Legend

Postby biscuits » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:11 pm

The last CD I bought was Janet's 'Unbreakable' but that was just as a collector's item. I purchased it on iTunes too, so the CD itself became defunct (although I did use it to rip the bonus tracks into my library).
TheRealest wrote:Chy tf plz biscuits girl
biscuits
The Diva

Postby iMacourey » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:31 pm

biscuits wrote:The last CD I bought was Janet's 'Unbreakable' but that was just as a collector's item. I purchased it on iTunes too, so the CD itself became defunct (although I did use it to rip the bonus tracks into my library).
That was my last CD too. :o

Which is kinda strange thinking back on it, because there was a time when I would buy two or three CDs every week. I stopped buying CDs regularly after I bought my first ever iPod and realised it was so much easier to just download albums from iTunes. These days though I pretty much only buy downloads by my favourite artists. For everything else I just use Spotify.
iMacourey
Roadie

Postby stevyy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:27 pm

how ppl could support apple like that is beyond me. apple doesn't pay taxes in europe. They exhaust whatever workers they have for their own gain. I will never use an apple product.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Serby » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:08 pm

Might as well boycott every big company out there. VW was exposed to have tested on poor monkeys etc etc.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby SummerPeur » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:14 pm

Serby wrote:Might as well boycott every big company out there. VW was exposed to have tested on poor monkeys etc etc.
stevyy wrote:how ppl could support apple like that is beyond me. apple doesn't pay taxes in europe. They exhaust whatever workers they have for their own gain. I will never use an apple product.
Yeah it's always hard to understand the impact quite large companies like this have in those areas. Though, a lot of companies ARE moving in a positive direction (even if small) but it's a start.
Yeah, I Bloom
I, Bloom Just For You
I Bloom, Just For Youuuuu
SummerPeur
Superstar

Postby Serby » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:31 pm

Like versace not selling fur anymore (or some other highend brand) :D

I'm trying to be more and more concious as we, with our money, have the power to change things. Moving to Austria changed me so much tbh. :lol: didn't even know what vegan was, recyling or sustainable lol and look at me now. #yass
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Guru » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:26 am

Steaming has f’ed up the music industry and has cheapened artists. So for $10pm I have unlimited access to music? :roll:
It allows me to listen to my favorite albums over and over? This is why talented artists with real talent like Kehlani and Sevyn are struggling.
Guru
Guru

Postby Ewokguy15 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:41 am

Streaming has saved the music industry. People are actually happy to pay for music again. Back in the 90s an album would cost you $24.95NZD brand new. How was that ok???.

I remember buying Britney Spears & Christina Aguilera's first albums when I was a kid and listening to the singles and nothing else because as full albums they weren't very good. now I don't have to waste $$$ on full albums i'll never listen to.
Ewokguy15
Manager

Postby heppolo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:50 am

Ewokguy15 wrote:Streaming has saved the music industry. People are actually happy to pay for music again.
Only the most conscious music listeners, the vast majority listens to albums on a daily basis and pays nothing
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Jesper » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:25 am

Ewokguy15 wrote:Streaming has saved the music industry. People are actually happy to pay for music again. .
Are they happy to pay though? They just want access to a big library, but they don't invest in the music or artists themselves at all. I bet most people also happily would pay $10 per month and get unlimited amount of food/drinks or an unlimited amount of visits to concerts or visit museums the question is though, do all people who make the content of that library possibly make enough money? Because a singer-songwriter without a major record deal could put his music up there, but unless he gets streamed millions of times, he still will be struggling to pay his bills.
Jesper
Legend

Postby stevyy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:22 pm

Jesper wrote:
Ewokguy15 wrote:Streaming has saved the music industry. People are actually happy to pay for music again. .
Are they happy to pay though? They just want access to a big library, but they don't invest in the music or artists themselves at all. I bet most people also happily would pay $10 per month and get unlimited amount of food/drinks or an unlimited amount of visits to concerts or visit museums the question is though, do all people who make the content of that library possibly make enough money? Because a singer-songwriter without a major record deal could put his music up there, but unless he gets streamed millions of times, he still will be struggling to pay his bills.
the streaming market will implode soon enough... maybe in 5-10 years. The bottom of the music industry - as experts suggest - is that music artists will only make their music available (for purchase) on their personal websites... no amazon, no apple, no retail will ever get their hands on music content ever again.

Many experts say that this is the end of the process which becam in 1999 with Napster. Spotify et al don't make money. The artists are losing money too.

If this process isn't stopped, then we won't have professional music recordings anymore in 20 years or so.
stevyy
Legend

Postby heppolo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:33 pm

^Or there will be self-financed and ''non-profit'' records made via billionaires' money
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby stevyy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:12 pm

heppolo wrote:^Or there will be self-financed and ''non-profit'' records made via billionaires' money
unlikely.

It is so weird that 99% of mankind loves music, but only 0,0001% feel like it deserves to be valued at a prize which keeps the wheel turning.

People who use streaming service are egotistic because they are causing the whole industry to collapse and take away music from all of us.
stevyy
Legend

Return to World News & Politics