UK Politics - unemployment at lowest levels since 1975

Moderator: biscuits

Do you support the call for reform of the UK electoral system?

Yes - it should be reformed to reflect proportional representation, whereby the total number of votes a party receives decides the number of seats it gets in the House of Commons.
63%
No - the system is fine the way it is, First Past the Post is how it's always been done and it's how it should continue to be done.
31%
Other - specify in topic.
6%

Total votes : 16

Postby SeeForever » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:39 pm

What a mess that was!! I don't agree with these coalition pacts, look what it did to the Lib Dems, now we get a DUP coalition??

What would happen if no one can get a majority (can't make up a coalition) and you end up with a hung parliament, who ends up in government??

I think a lot of the young voters would have voted for Labour, do think it's a bit sad if people used their vote as a protest vote against Brexit, we voted out!! (well I didn't) Though I am sick of hearing about hard Brexit, well just the whole thing

Personally I think all the parties aren't good enough, I did vote but for me it's who is the least worst, I find most party leaders really annoying, I just think is the best they can get to lead them??
RIP The Queen Of Disco
SeeForever
Legend

Postby Theodorerichert » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:00 am

I voted no, because it's still better than what we have in the US.
Theodorerichert
Manager

Postby Rihab » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:49 am

Doesn't a coalition between Tories and the DUP also violate the Good Friday Agreement? :-?
Northern Ireland still doesn't have a functioning government and will return to direct rule from Westminster if Sinn Fein and DUP don't come to an agreement by the end of the month. Now if DUP joins a coalition in Westminster, they'll virtually be governing Northern Ireland on their own, without Sinn Fein, ending power-sharing.
Rihab
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:19 am

It isn't a formal coalition government so it doesn't violate the agreeement. It isn't expected to become one either - it's expected that the DUP will informally prop up the Conservatives on a case-by-case, issue-by-issue basis - in return for investment in Nothern Ireland.

Either way, it is bad for relations with Sinn Fein - how can the Secretary of State for Nothern Ireland be impartial when they are working closely - potentially - with the DUP?
Wayne
Administrator

Postby heppolo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:58 am

John Major was in the informal coalition with the UUP for a couple of month after december 1996. Only applied more pressure on Tories prior to their 1997 wipe-out. If only Labour had someone as charismatic as Tony Blair, Tories might have been finished.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:31 am

Oh, the waffle
heppolo
Legend

Postby Hugo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:31 am

What a turn of events in recent years in the UK and the US... messy countries.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby heppolo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:34 pm

At least some fun
heppolo
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:35 pm

Some adult humour as well
heppolo
Legend

Postby biscuits » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:02 pm

biscuits
The Diva

Postby heppolo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:11 pm

^Theresa and Tories are unapologetic, those petitions are pretty pointless
heppolo
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:18 pm

The irony is that a petition on the governments official website would be debated in the Conservative-dominated House of Commons, if over 100,000 signatures were achieved. The change.org petitions are pointless.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Robbie » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:12 pm

Breaking news: both may's chief political advisers have just resigned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40231107

They aren't to blame for this whole fiasco. The buck has to stop with Theresa May.
Robbie
Manager

Postby Wayne » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:08 pm

She needs to widen the circle of those she chooses to consult - this should also appease those Conzervative MPs that are calling for her head.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Thriller » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:22 pm

What a messy result :(
Thriller

Postby Wayne » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:04 pm

The rhetoric on BBC news from Conservative MPs and supporters is quite harsh - apparently, the cabinet demanded the resignation of her two closest advisors.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Robbie » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:19 pm

Wayne wrote:The rhetoric on BBC news from Conservative MPs and supporters is quite harsh - apparently, the cabinet demanded the resignation of her two closest advisors.
The alternative was apparently if they didn't resign there would be someone ready to stand against May on Monday. The BBC have reported that her resignation speech had already been drawn up by senior Tories.

The DUP have apparently demanded that to work with the Tories all benefit cuts must be dropped so that should make for an interesting discussion. Personally as much as I am against any cuts to benefits I don't agree that 10 MPs (the DUP MPs) should hold the entire country to ransom. It would be better to hold another election although that really would be a shambolic mess, and of May's own making.

Meanwhile Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour shadow cabinet have been drawing up an alternative Queen's speech in case the Tory / DUP "coalition" fails to materialise. The problem there is that even by joining forces with other parties (not including the DUP) they wouldn't be able to form a majority as they would be about one or two seats short so I doubt they could get any legislation through parliament.
Robbie
Manager

Postby matthew_dixon » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:40 pm

Well who saw that coming, eh? Great to see so many young people turn out and vote, and really make a difference to the result.

Conservatives - Disastrous result for them. Theresa May made a gamble and it spectacularly backfired. Very pleasant surprise.

Labour - Far better than expected - but they still lost. If only the backbenchers hadn't spent two years trying to topple Corbyn - they might have won the election.

Lib Dem - "Patchy" sums it up. They basically took a centre ground that was slightly more squeezed, but slightly further right, thus making some net gains. I'd hoped for significantly better results, but Corbyn just squeezed the vote big time.

SNP - Disastrous night in an election shortly after Nicola Sturgeon had suggested a second independence referendum - goes to show the Scots don't want it.

Plaid Cymru - Actually better than expected - gaining a seat. Still, they got nowhere in Anglesey where they'd hoped to gain.

UKIP - Absolute disaster - they're finished.

Green - Very poor night. Aside from Caroline Lucas having a personal vote the voters realised that Labour were offering the same stuff, and so switched.

Northern Ireland - Aside from Lady Sylvia Hermon - really shock result as all three moderate parties got the boot. Worrying times.

Others - Shame the independent woman in East Devon didn't get in. Shame the NHS party didn't scalp the health secretary.
matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby heppolo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:07 pm

Green - Very poor night. Aside from Caroline Lucas having a personal vote the voters realised that Labour were offering the same stuff, and so switched.
Green mostly even campaigned for Labour this time around, especially in key marginal seats
Lib Dem
I'm sorry for Nick Clegg mostly, but I hope he is going to return for a by-election or something [like Vince Cable did]. He is a humble man and took responsibility for his actions
heppolo
Legend

Postby KokoCollino » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:09 pm

Ugh, so they're cooperating with a party that is against gay marriage :roll:

Well, not like it's that different in Germany ... :lol: :-?
I'll find my way home
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:04 am

heppolo
Legend

Postby KokoCollino » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:11 am

Why is the world getting so messy :-?

France though :D
I'll find my way home
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby Wayne » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:52 pm

Theresa is about to meet with the 1922 committee - she's expected to receive a "frosty" reception according to the BBC. :lol:
Wayne
Administrator

Postby biscuits » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:27 pm

What is 1922 committee?
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Wayne » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:33 pm

biscuits wrote:What is 1922 committee?
It's basically the entire number of Tory backbench MPs - they meet with each other each week and the PM is not allowed to attend but I think they then meet with the PM once each month to put forth their views. It's basically a link between the PM and her cabinet ministers and the rest of the party - the Chairman of the 1922 committee is considered to be one of the most influential positions in UK politics.

It'll be the toughest meeting she has this year, Brexit aside.
Wayne
Administrator

Return to World News & Politics