The Manchester Arena terrorist attack (May 2017)

Moderator: biscuits

Postby xBFG » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:27 am

xBFG
Roadie

Postby Damiennatas1 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:09 am

Of course it won't! But it will certainly help those families. We have absolutely no clue what difficulties those families face ON TOP of losing a loved one. What alternative would you suggest?
I am obsessed with Tammie Brown!
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby xBFG » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:22 pm

Damiennatas1 wrote:
Of course it won't! But it will certainly help those families. We have absolutely no clue what difficulties those families face ON TOP of losing a loved one. What alternative would you suggest?
In my opinion money is not the solution
xBFG
Roadie

Postby biscuits » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:37 pm

I understand what you're saying. I guess it could help with funeral costs and the loss of income. Imagine if one of the victims was the sole breadwinner in their family
biscuits
The Diva

Postby SholasBoy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:01 pm

It's a tough one really, I thought it was a bit strange when I heard the news, what is the money supposed to be for? I wonder what it would feel like to receive it, it's quite a large almost life changing amount of money. I wouldn't know what to do with it.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Thriller » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:00 pm

The money won't replace the loved one, but it will make life easier for those left behind. Think about the two girls who lost their mum and dad as they waited to pick them up, they will at be set up for life now and it's the least they deserve.
Thriller

Postby spiritboy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:18 am

I'm sure many of the families recieve or recieved therapy and grief counseling. I don't know if UK government pays for that, if not, the money might come handy.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby spiritboy » Tue May 22, 2018 1:35 pm

I can't believe it's been a year since this awful tragedy. Sending my prayers to all the victims and survivors and their families. :(
spiritboy
Legend

Postby biscuits » Tue May 22, 2018 1:36 pm

Feels like longer tbh
biscuits
The Diva

Postby KEY9481 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:02 pm

Yeah I definitely thought it was 2 years ago already.
5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018
KEY9481
Manager

Postby menime123 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:55 pm

spiritboy wrote:I'm sure many of the families recieve or recieved therapy and grief counseling. I don't know if UK government pays for that, if not, the money might come handy.
It would have been available on the NHS. I think anyone involved in this would have had appointments fast tracked too.

The money means nothing to be honest. I know £300k+ isn’t a small amount, but I’m not sure what the families are supposed to do with it tbh. How can you enjoy it?
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby Wayne » Tue May 22, 2018 7:05 pm

I remember exactly what I was doing at the point this news broke.

I still get a tad emotional watching the tribute videos to Martin in particular, who seemed to touch the lives of so many people.

A terrible atrocity, the worst the UK has seen - but how the emergency services responded that night (and in the proceeding days) and more importantly how the people of Manchester responded, is something I will forever be in awe of. For a short period of time, the whole country seemed to wrap its arms around Manchester and the outpouring of emotion and love was incredible.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Thriller » Tue May 22, 2018 8:19 pm

I remember waking up at like 6am the morning after to a Guardian notification on my phone with the news and it was so awful to think not only had it happened, but it was in Manchester and at a concert. Hope to never have to see that again.
Thriller

Postby JakeP » Wed May 23, 2018 7:03 pm

I was also so deeply shocked and heartbroken when i saw the news coverage the following morning. Manchester really pulled together and i love that Ariana Grande has been made a honorary mancunian. <3

I was at the choir concert last night with a couple of my work colleagues and it was just memorising seeing so many people coming together to celebrate life. It's also astonished me how the lyrics to Don't look back in anger, Never forget and One last time have now taken on a whole new meaning. Terrorism is the worst thing in the world, it seems to have become the one thing nobody knows how to solve it. I'd start moaning about our government here but its wasted words. :cry: :roll: I just think if a terrorist has the sole intention of killing young innocent people, they're more than sick in the head.

Terrorism is like cancer but sadly there isn't a cure for terrorism, and its this thought (fact?) that angers me the most. :evil: :(
JakeP
Manager

Postby stevyy » Wed May 23, 2018 9:53 pm

The thing that shocked me the most is that from that day on, concerts weren't safe anymore. It can really happen to anyone at this point.

I cannot grasp how it must be for the vcitims' families. I wish them all the best and hope that they CAN continue living with such tragedy.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Guru » Thu May 24, 2018 5:39 am

biscuits wrote:
I understand what you're saying. I guess it could help with funeral costs and the loss of income. Imagine if one of the victims was the sole breadwinner in their family
How much was donated to each of the Grenfell victims families? :-?
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Wayne » Sun May 27, 2018 3:59 pm

Guru wrote:How much was donated to each of the Grenfell victims families? :-?
The total value of donations and government grants was £26.5 million - assuming that's money going directly to the families of those who lost a loved one, that's almost £375,000 apiece. Assuming that the fund was portioned according to household, that's £135,000 per house (there were 196 families in the tower).

The problem is not the money - there's plenty - it's the aftermath and how each family has been re-homed (or not, in many cases).
Wayne
Administrator

Postby KokoCollino » Sun May 27, 2018 6:34 pm

stevyy wrote:The thing that shocked me the most is that from that day on, concerts weren't safe anymore. It can really happen to anyone at this point.

I cannot grasp how it must be for the vcitims' families. I wish them all the best and hope that they CAN continue living with such tragedy.
I get you but I had this feeling ever since Paris already.
Looks like I found my way home
KokoCollino
Manager

Return to World News & Politics