The Manchester Arena terrorist attack (May 2017)

Moderator: biscuits

Postby Wayne » Sun May 28, 2017 6:38 pm

There's a vigil currently taking place in Manchester in memory of Martyn - http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... k-13105860

The turnout is unreal - must be a couple of thousand so far including one of his biggest idols [and one of the original Pop Idols] Michelle McManus [who also wrote the most amazing article about him].

THERE are some people you meet in life that you instantly know stand out from the crowd, making them impossible to ever forget.

In my life, I’ve been so lucky and blessed to meet so many incredible people from all walks of life but, right now, I want to tell to you about one young man called Martyn Hett.

Martyn was a boy, originally from Stockport, who first contacted me a few years ago via social media.

At first, I wasn’t too sure how to take Martyn. I wasn’t quite sure his extremely flattering comments towards me regarding my singing were truly sincere because - let’s be honest - I’ve had the most incredible 14 years since winning Pop Idol and I’m so very proud of the career I’ve built and sustained for myself during that time, but I’m no stranger to being the butt of people’s jokes regarding my weight or my lack of chart-topping singles.

That’s just something that’s part and parcel of the wonderful life I live in the public eye - and I totally accept that.

Martyn was different, though, and I realised very quickly that he genuinely was sincere and was, quite simply, a fan who wanted to get in touch to tell me just that.

I found him so sweet and, even when his friends would gently tease him on Twitter, it only made him more determined to convince them to join his crusade to get me back in the charts and “touring the country,” as he put it.

I explained to Martyn that I’d been working away quite happily up in Scotland and that I regularly toured north of the border with my one-woman shows.

I promised to let him know if I was doing anything down in England.

A few months later, I was booked to perform at a beautiful venue called West 5 in London and, as promised, I tweeted the details out so that Martyn could come along if he wished.

With it being miles away from where he lived, I didn’t expect him to make the journey down to London.

But how wrong I was.

His was the first face I saw when I walked out on stage, front row, beaming up at me.

He truly made me feel like I was Céline Dion, or some other international diva, as he sang along with me to every word.

Afterwards, I got to meet him face-to-face and he was as infectious and fun-loving as I’d expected.

After that, Martyn stayed in touch through social media and famously spent 24 hours on a Megabus travelling all the way up to Stirling to see my one-woman show, which I was totally blown away by, and told him exactly that when I met him after the show.

For his birthday last year, one of his friends contacted my management company and asked if I would sign a “Michelle-themed present” which was a section of my song, All This Time, in a waveform style, printed and framed for him to hang on his wall. I was utterly delighted to do it as I’d grown so very fond of Martyn - how could anyone that had met him not

However, it was my venture down to the Waterside Arts Centre in Sale, Greater Manchester, in March this year that I will forever be indebted to Martyn for.

My darling friend and writer Bruce Devlin had put me in contact with the centre last August and I was so utterly terrified at the prospect of taking my show across the border into England because of how my career had really fallen flat down there after winning Pop Idol all of those years ago.

I felt safe back home in Scotland, in my comfort zone, and I just didn’t feel I had the courage to put myself out there again UK-wide.

I mentioned the Waterside Arts Centre to Martyn and he was just so excited and assured me that he’d sell the whole evening out for me with just his mates alone.

I laughed and thanked him for the kind words but, one month later, I received a call from my manager to tell me the show had indeed sold out. Martyn had been true to his word and I was completely overwhelmed.

A few weeks before my show, he contacted my management to request an interview with me for the Manchester Evening News which I jumped at the chance to do and we chatted and laughed on the phone for nearly an hour.

A week or so later, the most beautiful article, written by Martyn about me, appeared online and I told him how much I loved it and that I’d never be able to thank him for all of his support.

Never did I imagine for a single second that only two months later I’d be sitting here writing an article about Martyn and what a wonderfully funny and caring person he was but that, tragically, he is no longer here because of a truly horrendous act of violence that took place in Manchester on Monday evening.

He was a beautiful 29-year-old man, adored and loved by so many and who, along with 21 other souls, lost their lives attending a pop concert.

Even writing that sentence makes me cry with the senselessness of it all. Why and how could this happen?

I can’t even begin to comprehend how Martyn’s friends and family and, of course, all the victims’ loved ones begin to cope with this devastation. Like the rest of the world, my thoughts and prayers are with them all.

I only knew Martyn for a short time but the impact he made on my life will never leave me.

He truly sparkled and I have no doubt he’ll forever now be the brightest star in the sky.

Good night, dear Martyn. I’ll be forever grateful I knew you. All This Time xxx
Wayne
Administrator

Postby theArmy » Sun May 28, 2017 7:35 pm

Omg :cry:
LITTLE CHIX - a new pop sensation on the horizon!
theArmy
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sun May 28, 2017 7:38 pm

I missed off the bottom part of Michelle's column which said this...

Never did I imagine for a single second that only two months later I’d be sitting here writing an article about Martyn and what a wonderfully funny and caring person he was but that, tragically, he is no longer here because of a truly horrendous act of violence that took place in Manchester on Monday evening.

He was a beautiful 29-year-old man, adored and loved by so many and who, along with 21 other souls, lost their lives attending a pop concert.

Even writing that sentence makes me cry with the senselessness of it all. Why and how could this happen?

I can’t even begin to comprehend how Martyn’s friends and family and, of course, all the victims’ loved ones begin to cope with this devastation. Like the rest of the world, my thoughts and prayers are with them all.

I only knew Martyn for a short time but the impact he made on my life will never leave me.

He truly sparkled and I have no doubt he’ll forever now be the brightest star in the sky.

Good night, dear Martyn. I’ll be forever grateful I knew you. All This Time xxx
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Thriller » Sun May 28, 2017 8:44 pm

Such a shame that it takes something like this to feel like Britain's pulling together after such a long time of feeling like a split nation.
Thriller

Postby Nippian93 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:08 pm

Ariana's mum.
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Biebz » Tue May 30, 2017 3:28 pm

my reputation's never been worse so you must like me for me
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby Frederic » Tue May 30, 2017 3:47 pm

At Old Trafford Cricket Ground!

Considering those names and what it's for, I guess it's going to be a huge event. :o
Frederic
Good Boy Gone Bad

Postby theArmy » Tue May 30, 2017 4:24 pm

It'll be broadcasted both on TV & radio!! :o

I'll just break down in tears when I see her on stage again.....
theArmy
Legend

Postby Biebz » Tue May 30, 2017 4:25 pm

I really want tickets :cry: Probably have trouble getting there and back though :(
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby thankfulforkelly » Tue May 30, 2017 4:37 pm

ughh I wish I could go but I have two exams on Monday :(
Reaching your lemon
Say you're reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Manager

Postby Tansike » Tue May 30, 2017 4:39 pm

^ isn't monday a holiday in the UK? It is over here.

I also want tickets for that and book a flight but i guess this will be nearly impossible. The demand will most likely be huge for this.

Still so sad about her cancelling the swiss date for monday :cry: I really wanted to finally see her live.
Tansike
Legend

Postby Biebz » Tue May 30, 2017 4:42 pm

Tansike wrote:^ isn't monday a holiday in the UK? It is over here.

I also want tickets for that and book a flight but i guess this will be nearly impossible. The demand will most likely be huge for this.

Still so sad about her cancelling the swiss date for monday :cry: I really wanted to finally see her live.
Yesterday was a holiday
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby Tansike » Tue May 30, 2017 4:44 pm

^ oh really? Over here next monday is one (and basically sunday as well, but everyone has off then anyway)
Tansike
Legend

Postby theArmy » Tue May 30, 2017 4:50 pm

I hope u guys gon watch it with me on Sunday and share ur thoughts

made its own thread :D

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123247
theArmy
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:05 pm

❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:10 pm

Harry Styles Calls Manchester Bombing Survivor To Say ‘I Love You’

According to The Manchester Evening News, a 14-year-old named Freya Lewis got a lovely message from Styles while in the hospital. Lewis had suffered burns, cuts and shrapnel wounds from the blast, which ultimately killed more than 20 and injured close to 60.

“The phone rang, and it was Harry Styles,” Lewis’ family wrote in a blog post. “Freya woke up, Harry said he loved her, she said she loved him, then Dad said he loved him! The PICU unit at Manchester Children’s Hospital has just been given a lift like you cannot imagine! Harry, we salute you sir.”
http://popcrush.com/harry-styles-called ... ck-victim/
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby Guru » Wed May 31, 2017 5:00 am

Nippian93 wrote:Harry Styles Calls Manchester Bombing Survivor To Say ‘I Love You’

According to The Manchester Evening News, a 14-year-old named Freya Lewis got a lovely message from Styles while in the hospital. Lewis had suffered burns, cuts and shrapnel wounds from the blast, which ultimately killed more than 20 and injured close to 60.

“The phone rang, and it was Harry Styles,” Lewis’ family wrote in a blog post. “Freya woke up, Harry said he loved her, she said she loved him, then Dad said he loved him! The PICU unit at Manchester Children’s Hospital has just been given a lift like you cannot imagine! Harry, we salute you sir.”
http://popcrush.com/harry-styles-called ... ck-victim/
I can't help but cringe considering it wasn't his concert, many famous people are standing with Manchester, he was a new album out and he decided to choose 1 of the many affected. Why not call everyone? :roll:
I hate people like this that exploit a serious situation for their gain. I'm not saying he doesn't care in his heart but why this 1 specific person? :roll:
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Nackar » Wed May 31, 2017 8:22 am

^ It is a bit odd. It makes TOTAL sense if the girl is known to be a big fan of 1D or his (it doesn't say so in the article, so we don't know). If she isn't, it seems very random. But ah well.
Nackar
Legend

Postby biscuits » Wed May 31, 2017 8:27 am

I agree with Guru 8-)
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Wayne » Wed May 31, 2017 8:35 am

How dare that very mean Harry Styles phone a children's hospital and lift the spirits of a young girl who recently suffered due to a terrorist attack! How dare he!!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Nippian93 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:38 am

Lewis' sister, Georgia, also shared the news on Facebook:

Cannot believe it, Mr Harry Styles just rang my Dad. Hearing his voice has been a great lift and Freya has totally woken up and is completely in shock that he rang. They told each other that she loved him!!! Thank you everyone for everything!!! I love you all!!!! Xxx everyone is jumping for joy in the PICU unit xx I'm so happy rn, i have no words. Reluctantly, I will admit it, I love you Harry!!!!!!!! Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Georgia had asked her friends on social media to share a post on social media in hopes of getting the One Direction member and hometown hero's attention. Amazingly, it worked. See that first post here: [at the bottom of the article]
http://www.billboard.com/articles/colum ... er-bombing
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby biscuits » Wed May 31, 2017 8:52 am

Wayne wrote:How dare that very mean Harry Styles phone a children's hospital and lift the spirits of a young girl who recently suffered due to a terrorist attack! How dare he!!
Calm ya tits

For me, the choice of words is bizarre. I love you? Weird thing to say
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Nackar » Wed May 31, 2017 8:53 am

Wayne wrote:How dare that very mean Harry Styles phone a children's hospital and lift the spirits of a young girl who recently suffered due to a terrorist attack! How dare he!!
No I absolutely agree with you. People always try to spin someone doing something nice into something mean when it's a celebrity. It's not like afterwards he said "screw the rest of those victims" and then proceeded to bathe in champagne while eating roasted panda with ivory cutlery. It's a very nice gesture.

I was just wondering if the girl was actually a fan of his/1D specifically. And apparently she was! So great for her and good on him.
Nackar
Legend

Postby Mhacy » Wed May 31, 2017 9:09 am

^ She is actually a fan and came from his hometown in Holmes Chapel. Her sister Georgia posted a petition of some sort asking everyone to help her get in contact with Harry for her injured sister. It worked apparently.
Mhacy
Groupie

Postby Gravity » Wed May 31, 2017 9:13 am

People always trying to spin something positive and harmless into something negative, no wonder the world is so f***** up :roll:
Gravity
Superstar

Return to World News & Politics