Cyprus reunification talks to resume

Moderator: biscuits

Postby Bojan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:37 pm

Serby wrote:Where are you from?

I know it's not hate, but this whole damn thing is exhausting. :lol: Being Serbian comes mostly with difficulties. :lol:
That's true. :lol:

I'm from Belgrade.
Bojan
Manager

Postby Serby » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:25 pm

I dream of being that random guy from domewhere who isn't bothered with all this war shit and dillemas. :lol:

So these Albanian friends, you just tell them you don't recognise Kosovo and they are okay? :lol:
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby jio » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Serby wrote:I dream of being that random guy from domewhere who isn't bothered with all this war shit and dillemas. :lol:

So these Albanian friends, you just tell them you don't recognise Kosovo and they are okay? :lol:
I wouldn't know how Albanians feel about Serbs not recognizing Kosovo but I can tell you how Turks feel about Cyprus. Met this Turkish guy (from Istanbul) in Georgia once, we hanged around a bit drinking beers all fine but when he asked me where I was from and I responded Cyprus, the greek part his reaction was: "Oh I don't know much about your country but didn't you have a problem with us decades ago?"... to which I responded: "actually we are still technically at war but let's not get into it" and that was that lol.

I think generally the problem in the balkans began with the nationalism that took over during the collapse of the Ottoman Empire. We were all living together in most places and when nationalism was constructed all nations drew up imaginary maps of their future homelands including all territories where the nation lived ignoring the fact that in some of those territories other nations lived as well. So once the splitting happened we all took less than what we wanted and we all ended upwith so called "lost homelands". Serbia was the only exception to that because of Yugoslavia but it ended up in the exact same position when Yugoslavia collapsed. Then the story of the bad neighbors who took over our lands was used by all countries as means to build a strong national identity (which was almost non-existent in Ottoman times, people were identifying themselves by religion and not language/nations) to support the creation of national states and that led us to the mess we currently have.
jio
Legend

Postby Bojan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:49 pm

Serby wrote:I dream of being that random guy from domewhere who isn't bothered with all this war shit and dillemas. :lol:
We rarely talk about it, but when we do, we are having normal conversation without tensions. I think that ordinary people aren't as passionate about that idea anymore as they were before. Maybe because they have bigger problems now.

@jio: Well explained.
Bojan
Manager

Postby jio » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:26 pm

Just for the thread to be complete the current round of talks has officially ended... unsuccessfully
jio
Legend

Postby spiritboy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:06 pm

I wasn't expecting it to be honest. :lol:
spiritboy
Legend

Return to World News & Politics