Queen Elizabeth II is getting a 78% raise

Moderator: biscuits

Postby Hugo » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:58 pm

Queen Elizabeth II is getting a 78% raise from the government

The Queen received £42.8 million ($54.6 million) in tax-free income from the state last year as her annual "sovereign grant." This year the payment will balloon by 78% to £76.1 million ($97 million).
Payouts from the state are expected to remain at elevated levels for 10 years as Buckingham Palace undergoes an extensive face lift.
Staff have to replace wiring and pipes that are over 60 years old. Visitor access will be improved, but the overall design and exterior of the 775-room London palace will remain the same.
"The project seeks to prevent a serious risk of fire, flood and damage to both the building and the priceless Royal Collection of art belonging to the nation," the U.K. Treasury said last year.
The Crown Estate consists of prime real estate, farms and coastlines that generate hundreds of millions of pounds each year, most of which ends up in government coffers. A portion of the profit is eventually given back to the Queen and her family each year in the sovereign grant.
The Queen uses this money as her expense account, covering the costs of travel, security, staff and the upkeep of the royal palaces.
The Queen also earns income from the Duchy of Lancaster, a private estate of commercial, agricultural and residential properties that dates back to 1265. She earned £14.9 million ($19 million) from this estate and renting out palace space last year. This income was used to help cover official expenses.
Even with millions rolling in each year, the Queen is not able to save much. She spent most of her money on staff and property maintenance in the last fiscal year and only had £900,000 ($1.1 million) left over. The excess was placed in the "Sovereign Grant Reserve," a fancy name for the royal rainy-day fund.
Sir Alan Reid, the official Keeper of the Privy Purse, said the £42.8 million state grant given to the Queen in the last fiscal year equaled out to 65 pence ($0.83) per person in the U.K.
"When you consider that against what the Queen does and represents for this country, I believe it represents excellent value for money," he said on Tuesday.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/27/news/qu ... d=39156527
How's your fave doing?
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Serby » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:01 pm

Last sentence sounds like somethig Wayne would say. :lol: :lol: <3
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby theArmy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:08 pm

Literally: Get money, Queen.
LITTLE CHIX - a new pop sensation on the horizon!
theArmy
Legend

Postby heppolo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:07 am

This comes to mind
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Guru » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:25 am

theArmy wrote:Literally: Get money, Queen.
Yasssss!!! Bitches getting paid!!!
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby MusicRecords » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:51 am

Ugh can't this old lizard lady just settle with what she has already? She's really old already and has reduced her activities. It's not like her children and grand children aren't settled already :lol: but well if it makes her happy good for her 8-) she should live her last years however she pleases.
MusicRecords
Legend

Postby heppolo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:25 am

^Prince Charles should be made PM instead of that Theresa May, those "black spider memos" showed us he cares a bit about politics, you know
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby menime123 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:01 am

As the article explains, it’s not a pay rise, but a rise on her expense account with the money put towards good use. It’s not as if she spends it all drinking champagne and eating caviar whilst walking around in her crown listening to a bit of Shirley Bassey.

No, she is continuously working, out and about lending her name and time to numerous good causes. She has dedicated her entire life to her people and if around £1 of my taxes go to her every year, I give it willingly.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby MusicRecords » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:04 am

menime123 wrote:As the article explains, it’s not a pay rise, but a rise on her expense account with the money put towards good use. It’s not as if she spends it all drinking champagne and eating caviar whilst walking around in her crown listening to a bit of Shirley Bassey.

No, she is continuously working, out and about lending her name and time to numerous good causes. She has dedicated her entire life to her people and if around £1 of my taxes go to her every year, I give it willingly.
Yes I see now, all these articles are so misleading. They could've said a good chunk of the money is going towards the palace renovation right upfront
MusicRecords
Legend

Postby Serby » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:06 am

It says tho, in the first third of the article. :lol:
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Hugo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:10 am

Serby wrote:It says tho, in the first third of the article. :lol:
:roll: :roll: Right???
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby MusicRecords » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:50 am

I mean the headline, silly :lol:
Most people only read the headlines these days and don't bother reading the article, it's kinda like clickbait. Anyway the first third of the article is getting into it already which is not upfront.

Anyway I still don't like this old lizard :P
MusicRecords
Legend

Postby theArmy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:07 pm

MusicRecords wrote:Anyway I still don't like this old lizard :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

*Wayne putting the finishing touches on MR's ban*
LITTLE CHIX - a new pop sensation on the horizon!
theArmy
Legend

Postby samra » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:43 pm

MusicRecords wrote:
Most people only read the headlines these days and don't bother reading the article, it's kinda like clickbait. Anyway the first third of the article is getting into it already which is not upfront.

Mesmerised at the lack of self-awareness on display here. You wouldn't share your thoughts on a song without listening to it, why not the same with news?

You identified that people not engaging properly with news is a problem these days but instead of doing something about it, you're just embracing it?
Listen to my 2016 Eurovision Song Contest entry: MIRACLE
samra
Superstar

Postby MusicRecords » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:31 pm

samra wrote:
MusicRecords wrote:

Mesmerised at the lack of self-awareness on display here. You wouldn't share your thoughts on a song without listening to it, why not the same with news?

You identified that people not engaging properly with news is a problem these days but instead of doing something about it, you're just embracing it?
Actually I have a Communications/Media degree and we studied this and very well accept the fact that people want to read less and less. Not many read full newspapers anymore, and even social media today encourages just short headlines as news. Snapchat for example gives u a short video of quick important news cause most people don't sit for the 30 mins or hour of full tv news anymore, and now u can even have quick headlines as notifications on your phone. People simply aren't reading (or writing, for that matter) as much as before and it's too late to try to turn back, our media/online world is embracing it more and more and people are simply liking that, welcome to the new era :wink:

Also, my problem isn't about not reading the news but rather news having misleading titles, they know they're misleading and purposely do this to cause more reactions from people
MusicRecords
Legend

Postby Wayne » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:48 pm

menime123 wrote:As the article explains, it’s not a pay rise, but a rise on her expense account with the money put towards good use. It’s not as if she spends it all drinking champagne and eating caviar whilst walking around in her crown listening to a bit of Shirley Bassey.

Basically, this.

And yes - call her a name again MR and you're SOOOOO banned. :lol:
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Guru » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:06 pm

This!!!

| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Crackiswack » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:31 am

Well the Queen is a beloved presence within the UK, so I think she deserves it.

It's not like if Trump got a raise here in the States, where the majority dislike him. All hell would break lose :lol:
Please Stop the Music
Crackiswack
Manager

Postby Loveguru » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:35 am

ah okay :roll:
Forever Young
Loveguru
Legend

Return to World News & Politics