Madonna slams Whitney Houston as mediocre

Moderator: biscuits

Postby Nippian93 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:26 am

spiritboy wrote:What a great and lovely post from Sharon Stone :D
Dear Madonna,
First, I think it’s absurd that anyone is publishing your private letters. Therefore; I publish publicly.

Know that I am your friend. I have wished to be a rock star in some private moments… have felt as mediocre as you described. We know, as only those who have survived so long that owning our own mediocrity is the only way to own our own strengths; to become all that we both have become. I love and adore you; won’t be pitted against you by any invasion of our personal journeys. Sharon
https://www.facebook.com/sharonstoneoff ... =3&theater
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby abi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:54 am

The letter was written 25 freaking years ago come on now. I used to think 1D was trash too minus Zayn but now I'm bopping to Niall's new song. People changed and now let's move on.
abi
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:58 am

I can't believe Sharon Stone posted that without even verifying if the letter was real or fake in first place, with so many years of career doesn't she know how media works? That tabloids publish a lot of lies? One would think she'd know better but she just assumed the letter was real right away.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby Bojan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:49 am

What a great response, though. :lol:
Bojan
Manager

Postby cheapthrills » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:41 am

I was all ready to be snarky about Sharon Stone and then I read that.
Follow UKmix's favorite seasonal songs here!
My Personal Chart - Cheapthrills' Cheap 20 :)
cheapthrills
Manager

Postby TheRealest » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:33 am

FDB
TheRealest
The Queen

Postby biscuits » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:44 am

Bojan wrote:What a great response, though. :lol:
I can't tell if she's mad of not?
biscuits
The Diva

Postby DnBLover » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:25 am

This title is deceiving as it should be "allegedly slammed 25 years ago".
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby Lamhe » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:27 am

The letter is supposed to be private. No one should auction it. She was openly jealous and bitter of Whitney and Mariah.

From her Jan 1996 Spin magazine interview

Spin: Are you dissapointed that Time Warner jettisoned Interscope? Shouldn’t a company whose main product is artistic expression stand up for its artists?

Madonna: [Sighs] I’ve had several discussions with [Warner Music Group CEO] Michael Fuchs and said, look, I’m not a big fan of music that’s degrading to women or that promotes violence. I am offended by these things too. I’m offended by a movie like Showgirls. I still don’t think that the way to remedy the situation is to go around telling everybody what they can and can’t do.
I think Time Warner, or any of these big. corporate conglomerate entities, should encourage work that is morally uplifting. that counteracts all [the negative sluff]. I think when you’re fed a steady diet of crap, you come to expect it after a while. But art is not really a very important part of our culture any more. I was talking to k.d. lang about it last night. I don’t want to get into slagging off other artists, but we were talking about her record versus someone like Mariah Carey’s — and I think she’s a very talented singer — but we have to realize that the same country that acquitted O.J. is the same country that makes a complete piece of shit movie No.1, that buys Marian Carey records. It’s this homogeneity. But it’s got nothing to do with art.

From her 1995 NME interview

"pop is short for popular and to remain popular you can’t have a point of view or be outspoken. To remain popular you can’t go against the grain. Janis Joplin, at this time, in this world would not be a popular artist. Chrissie Hynde does not sell as many records as somebody like Mariah Carey. And that’s because Manah Carey and Whitney Houston don’t have a f**ing point of view.”

NME-

Whitney had one about you, didn’t she – she said that she’d kill her children if they turned out like you.

Madonna arches her brows coolly. “I’ve never heard either of them say anything horrible about me. But if they have, it’s completely transparent why. It would be based on jealousy of the fact that I have a point of view. I think that its an artist’s responsibility to have a point of view. Society takes its cue from popular art. People need something to look to, something to provoke them into questioning whether they completely hate something or completely love something. Perhaps somebody like Mariah Carey wishes she could make that happen. On the other hand,” she smiles nastily, “if you’re not terribly bright I suppose that you don’t really give a damn.”
Lamhe
Manager

Postby menime123 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:09 am

Lamhe wrote:The letter is supposed to be private. No one should auction it. She was openly jealous and bitter of Whitney and Mariah.

From her Jan 1996 Spin magazine interview

Spin: Are you dissapointed that Time Warner jettisoned Interscope? Shouldn’t a company whose main product is artistic expression stand up for its artists?

Madonna: [Sighs] I’ve had several discussions with [Warner Music Group CEO] Michael Fuchs and said, look, I’m not a big fan of music that’s degrading to women or that promotes violence. I am offended by these things too. I’m offended by a movie like Showgirls. I still don’t think that the way to remedy the situation is to go around telling everybody what they can and can’t do.
I think Time Warner, or any of these big. corporate conglomerate entities, should encourage work that is morally uplifting. that counteracts all [the negative sluff]. I think when you’re fed a steady diet of crap, you come to expect it after a while. But art is not really a very important part of our culture any more. I was talking to k.d. lang about it last night. I don’t want to get into slagging off other artists, but we were talking about her record versus someone like Mariah Carey’s — and I think she’s a very talented singer — but we have to realize that the same country that acquitted O.J. is the same country that makes a complete piece of shit movie No.1, that buys Marian Carey records. It’s this homogeneity. But it’s got nothing to do with art.

From her 1995 NME interview

"pop is short for popular and to remain popular you can’t have a point of view or be outspoken. To remain popular you can’t go against the grain. Janis Joplin, at this time, in this world would not be a popular artist. Chrissie Hynde does not sell as many records as somebody like Mariah Carey. And that’s because Manah Carey and Whitney Houston don’t have a f**ing point of view.”

NME-

Whitney had one about you, didn’t she – she said that she’d kill her children if they turned out like you.

Madonna arches her brows coolly. “I’ve never heard either of them say anything horrible about me. But if they have, it’s completely transparent why. It would be based on jealousy of the fact that I have a point of view. I think that its an artist’s responsibility to have a point of view. Society takes its cue from popular art. People need something to look to, something to provoke them into questioning whether they completely hate something or completely love something. Perhaps somebody like Mariah Carey wishes she could make that happen. On the other hand,” she smiles nastily, “if you’not terribly bright I suppose that you don’t really give a damn.
The Queen says it best.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby spiritboy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:26 am

I see no lies there. :lol:
spiritboy
Legend

Postby MrRager » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:37 am

:lol:
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Postby biscuits » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:50 am

Mariah is an underrated songwriter
biscuits
The Diva

Postby spiritboy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:51 am

So is Madonna. People never give her much credit for it.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby heppolo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:59 am

Nothingburger.
(Should have slammed Justin Bieber though)
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby biscuits » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:55 am

spiritboy wrote:So is Madonna. People never give her much credit for it.
But then you have Madonna bashing Mariah for not having a point of view. You think she'd be more understanding and empathetic
biscuits
The Diva

Postby heppolo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:56 pm

biscuits wrote:
spiritboy wrote:So is Madonna. People never give her much credit for it.
But then you have Madonna bashing Mariah for not having a point of view. You think she'd be more understanding and empathetic
Mariah deserves to be bashed from time to time.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby stevyy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:16 pm

Can anybody enlighten me about Madonna's "point of view?"
stevyy
Legend

Postby Lamhe » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:37 pm

Mariah hadn't murmured a word about madonna at that time of those interviews. To mention Mariah's name several times during those interviews in a foul way, out of nowhere, just showed how jealous she was of Mariah. Irony is while Mariah hit it big with "Vision of love", Madonna took off with bubblegum pop stuff like "Like a virgin" :lol:

I don't know who started the feud between Whitney and Madonna.
Lamhe
Manager

Postby Hugo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:38 pm

"Like a Virgin" is, lyrically speaking, more original than VOL, to label it bubblegum pop as in trash pop music is stupid.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby TIfan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:10 pm

^^^ I don't think Madonna wrote LAV
TIfan
Legend

Postby Hugo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:12 pm

TIfan wrote:^^^ I don't think Madonna wrote LAV
I know, what I meant is people often discredit upbeat, catchy songs as silly and unworthy of praise.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby TIfan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:22 pm

I doubt Madonna even felt like that since she always showed love to Whitney. If the letter is true, than it was probably a moment. Madonna knew she had her lane, and she knew Whitney had her lane.

But Whitney did win big at most award shows for her first 2 albums, and The Bodyguard album. Mother Nip was breaking all kinds of records for the first 10 years of her career. Sales, charts, and award shows.
TIfan
Legend

Postby Lamhe » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:28 pm

I won't say "Bohemian Rhapsody" is better than "I Gotta Feeling" or any two songs in that case. But Madonna seemed like that kind of person that likes to judge.
Lamhe
Manager

Postby stevyy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:46 pm

Lamhe wrote:I won't say "Bohemian Rhapsody" is better than "I Gotta Feeling" or any two songs in that case. But Madonna seemed like that kind of person that likes to judge.
Her judgement is displaced in Mariah's case. Madonna and Mariah both have some creeepy bubblegum HITS.

++ where is her criticism today? She completely sold out her point of view by all the collabos she did with some questionable acts. (Mariah has those tacky collabos as well ... Justin Bieber for example.)
stevyy
Legend

Return to World News & Politics