London acid attacks: teen charged with 15 offences

Moderator: biscuits

Postby Hugo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:38 am

London (CNN)Five men were attacked with acid in London on Thursday night with one man suffering life-changing facial injuries in what police are treating as linked assaults.

The five attacks, which took place over 70 minutes, are the latest in a spike of incidents using corrosive liquids as weapons in robberies and gang-related violence in the British capital.

Police said at least four of the five attacks involved two males on a moped, and in at least two cases the attackers stole mopeds belonging to their victims. Another incident involved a robbery.

A teenage male has been arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and robbery, and is currently in custody at an east London police station. Police are appealing for witnesses to come forward.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/14/europ ... index.html
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby nekoocz » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:46 pm

They should go to prison for life sentence.
nekoo.cz - follow me
nekoocz
Legend

Postby Thriller » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Cowardly and disgusting. These acid attacks seem to be on the increase.
Thriller

Postby joiPrince_JO » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:40 am

Damn... this is really scary :cry: :o
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby Mikerocha » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:43 am

Throw acid in the face's of those attackers too.

I bet no one would dare do it again.
I'm ready to be loved and love the way I should
Life's about, life's about to get good
Mikerocha
Superstar

Postby joiPrince_JO » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:56 am

Mikerocha wrote:Throw acid in the face's of those attackers too.

I bet no one would dare do it again.
That should be the punishment if they get him/them.
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:34 pm

^ We're a progressive country, we don't do things like that.

Sixteen-year-old boy arrested over five acid attacks in London on Thursday charged with 15 offences, police say

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lo ... ws_central
Wayne
Administrator

Postby xBFG » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:59 pm

He should get little bath in acid
xBFG
Roadie

Postby Mikerocha » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:34 am

While we are a progressive country (assuming you mean UK for you, I speak on the Western society), people have shown over and over to not care about that and behave like animals.

It is not like they would attack someone innocent.
People need to be held accountable for their actions and receave the maximum punishment possible.

One thing is being progressive towards kindness and openness and seeing a world were people all respect each other.

We have to have zero tolerance in situations like this.
That is my opinion.
I'm ready to be loved and love the way I should
Life's about, life's about to get good
Mikerocha
Superstar

Postby ArmyOfMe » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:59 am

:roll:
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:53 am

The death penalty is the ultimate proof that an "eye for an eye" doesn't work when it comes to deterring serious crime. And to suggest that we should throw acid in the face of this 16 year old boy as payback for his actions - I don't know how anyone could have that view.

The US is probably the best example of a developed nation whereby an "eye for an eye" just does not work. This is completely off topic but anyway - I've just spent some time looking at the capital punishment rates per state. 31 US states have capital punishment in place for murder:

The highest murder rate of those 31 is Louisiana with 10.3 murders per 100,000. The lowest is New Hampshire with 0.9. No other state that allows for the death penalty has a murder rate of less than 2.0. The median murder rate for all 32 states is 4.5 per 100,000.

Of the 19 remaining states that do not allow capital punishment for murder, the highest murder rate is in Maryland with 6.1, with the lowest murder rate of 1.6 in Vermont, Maine and Minnesota. A further 2 states have a murder rate of less than 2.0 per 100,000 - Hawaii at 1.8 and Iowa at 1.9. The median murder rate is 3.1 per 100,000.

The murder rate in the UK is 0.94 per 100,000 - so significantly less than the US (the figures above are 2014 figures). And we haven't used the death penalty since 1964. There's a tonne of other factors to consider of course and I don't presume to make a case based on numbers alone but is telling that even in the US - states that use the death penalty have a 45% higher rate of murder than those that don't.

An "eye for an eye" probably isn't the answer.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby ArmyOfMe » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:37 am

Thank you, Wayne.
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:41 am

In the UK we do not believe in, nor accept, the death penalty or any sort of physical retribution to those that break our laws. There is something incredibly satisfying in knowing that for the most heinous of crimes, a guilty party can spend their entire lives having to deal daily with the crimes they have committed.

The rise of acid attacks is alarming, as is the use of mopeds in commit crimes in London. The law must be changed - there is no reason for any member of the public to have access to sulphuric acid and if there is a legitimate reason (such as in school) then a license should be held by individuals.

There is no reason why anyone should carry sulphuric acid on their person. It is a weapon but if you are caught in possession of it, it is not against the law. It should be treated in the same way as carrying a knife - illegal.

To deliberately alter a person’s face for life is pure evil and we need changes in the law to deter such attacks. This teenager was stupid, but 5 years in prison should sort him out.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby xBFG » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 am

Wayne wrote:The death penalty is the ultimate proof that an "eye for an eye" doesn't work when it comes to deterring serious crime. And to suggest that we should throw acid in the face of this 16 year old boy as payback for his actions - I don't know how anyone could have that view.

The US is probably the best example of a developed nation whereby an "eye for an eye" just does not work. This is completely off topic but anyway - I've just spent some time looking at the capital punishment rates per state. 31 US states have capital punishment in place for murder:

The highest murder rate of those 31 is Louisiana with 10.3 murders per 100,000. The lowest is New Hampshire with 0.9. No other state that allows for the death penalty has a murder rate of less than 2.0. The median murder rate for all 32 states is 4.5 per 100,000.

Of the 19 remaining states that do not allow capital punishment for murder, the highest murder rate is in Maryland with 6.1, with the lowest murder rate of 1.6 in Vermont, Maine and Minnesota. A further 2 states have a murder rate of less than 2.0 per 100,000 - Hawaii at 1.8 and Iowa at 1.9. The median murder rate is 3.1 per 100,000.

The murder rate in the UK is 0.94 per 100,000 - so significantly less than the US (the figures above are 2014 figures. And we haven't used the death penalty since 1964. There's a tonne of other factors to consider of course and I don't presume to make a case based on numbers alone but is telling that even in the US - states that use the death penalty have a 45% higher rate of murder than those that don't.

An "eye for an eye" probably isn't the answer.
So what is the answer ?

You saying this because (probably I hope not ) nothing awful happen in your life around your friend or family

I had very bad experience because my anti and my grandfather has been slaughtered like a pigs by...my own cousin Anti stabbed 23 times Grandfather 22 times plus his brain was out his head was crashed like a walnut shell . I was in the UK all happen in Poland. He was talking to me for over 7 months on fb giving me some information about what's going no etc because I couldn't go there. His brother committed suicide in basement after when he finds out and left the note about what really happened... and now this person is in jail for at least 40 years with sentence for life

Tell me know what is the reason to keep somebody like him a live?
Tell me what is the reason keeping someone in prison for our tax money?
Tell me how we should solve that kind of problems ?

Religion war is bad
Revenge is bad
Eye for an eye is bad

In Islamic countries stealing is punished by cutting your hand off (I'm not saying I'm every but I know had happened)

Putting people into prison will solve the problem?

To stop that kind of behaviour and actions only good example can change that and after brutal example people will think before doing this... deep inside we are an animals and we can only learn in very visible way or very easy and simple to understand way...

Pedophile should have one chance after that cut off his bollox and that will give good example to others

Rapest similar action

For me even simple not puttin litter into bin makes me think that this world is too good for some of generations.

Wayne tell how would you change world and people living here?
xBFG
Roadie

Postby Wayne » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:22 am

^ I don't have an answer to what you've personally been through - I am sorry though that you have been through all of that.

Doing some of the things you've described there wouldn't solve any problems though - it might gratify the victim or the victims family/friends for about 5 minutes but it wouldn't solve their problems. Their personal loss would still be there.

Resources should be invested in prevention, education, social support, training and when somebody does wrong, in punishment also. But that punishment, except in exceptional circumstances (i.e. the most serious crimes where no rehabilitation is foreseen), should be as much about rehabilitation & reintegration and trying to understand why they did wrong as it is about depriving them of their freedoms, family and lives.

But society has to accept that a criminal can be reintegrated first.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby DnBLover » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:28 am

I would firstly want to know what drove this. Only then, talk about the consequences.
Last edited by DnBLover on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby nekoocz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:17 pm

Wayne wrote:^ We're a progressive country, we don't do things like that.

Sixteen-year-old boy arrested over five acid attacks in London on Thursday charged with 15 offences, police say

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lo ... ws_central
That Is why in London alone there are around 500 acid attacks every year? Yeah, progressive ...

I don't think "eye for an eye" is the the best way, but strong punishment (20+ years in prison) seems fair enough.
nekoo.cz - follow me
nekoocz
Legend

Return to World News & Politics