Legendary singer Glen Campbell dies aged 81

Moderator: biscuits

Postby Wayne » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:46 pm

The legendary voice behind Rhinestone Cowboy passes away aged 81.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby trebor » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:47 pm

Was about to open the thread...
R.I.P.
trebor
Legend

Postby matthew_dixon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:47 pm

Indeed. It seems we all had the same idea. Another great name dies :(

"Wichita Lineman" is a lovely song, and "Rhinestone Cowboy" is a classic (and great fun as well!)

matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby trebor » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:54 pm

Glen Campbell, 'Rhinestone Cowboy' Singer Who Fused Country and Pop, Dead at 81

Rolling Stone, August 8, 2017, By Patrick Doyle
Singer-guitarist and TV host who achieved crossover success succumbs to Alzheimer's Disease

Glen Campbell, the indelible voice behind 21 Top 40 hits including "Rhinestone Cowboy," "Wichita Lineman" and "By the Time I Get to Phoenix," died Tuesday. He was 81. A rep for Universal Music Group, Campbell's record label, confirmed the singer's death to Rolling Stone. During a career that spanned six decades, Campbell sold over 45 million records. In 1968, one of his biggest years, he outsold the Beatles.

"It is with the heaviest of hearts that we announce the passing of our beloved husband, father, grandfather, and legendary singer and guitarist, Glen Travis Campbell, at the age of 81, following his long and courageous battle with Alzheimer's disease," the singer's family said in a statement.
"Some people have said that I can 'hear' a hit song, meaning that I can tell the first time a song is played for me if it has potential," he once said. "I have been able to hear some of the hits that way, but I can also 'feel' one."
Campbell was born in 1936 in Billstown, Arkansas, the seventh son in a sharecropping family of 12 kids. "We used to watch TV by candlelight," Campbell told Rolling Stone in 2011.

In his youth, Campbell started playing guitar and became obsessed with jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt. He dropped out of school when he was 14 and moved to Wyoming with an uncle who was a musician, playing gigs together at rural bars. He soon moved to Los Angeles and by 1962 had solidified a spot in the Wrecking Crew, a group of session pros. In 1963 alone he appeared on 586 cuts, and countless more throughout the decade, including the Byrds' "Mr. Tambourine Man," Elvis Presley's "Viva Las Vegas,” Merle Haggard's "Mama Tried" and the Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling."

"I’d have to pick cotton for a year to make what I'd make in a week in L.A.," he said. "I learned it was crucial to play right on the edge of the beat ... It makes you drive the song more. You're ahead of the beat, but you're not." Fellow Wrecking Crew member Leon Russell called Campbell "the best guitar player I'd heard before or since. Occasionally we'd play with 50- or 60-piece orchestras. His deal was he didn't read [music], so they would play it one time for him, and he had it."

In late 1964, Brian Wilson had a nervous breakdown on tour with the Beach Boys, and the band called on Campbell to replace him on bass and high harmonies. "I took Brian’s place and that was just ... I was in heaven then – hog heaven!" Campbell remarked.

"He fit right in," said Wilson. "His main forte is he's a great guitar player, but he's even a better singer than all the rest. He could sing higher than I could!" Wilson even wrote an early song, "I Guess I'm Dumb," for Campbell. His first hit was a cover of Buffy Sainte-Marie's antiwar song "Universal Soldier." But Campbell's own political views tended to be conservative. "The people who are advocating burning draft cards should be hung," he said in 1965.

Campbell had his first major hit in 1967, with "By the Time I Get to Phoenix," written by Jimmy Webb, an L.A. kid with a knack for intricate ballads. "Glen's vocal power and technique was the perfect vehicle for these, in a way, very sentimental and romantic songs. And I think that you know we made some records that were very nearly perfect. 'Wichita Lineman' is a very near perfect pop record," Webb said. "I think in the process that Glen was a prime mover in the whole creation of the country crossover phenomenon that made the careers of Kenny Rogers and some other... many other artists possible."

The tune kicked off a working relationship that included the haunting Vietnam War ballad "Galveston," the tender "Gentle on My Mind" and "Wichita Lineman," Campbell's first Top 10 hit. With swelling orchestral arrangements and slick production, the songs weren't exactly considered hip in the Sixties. "They felt packaged for a middle-of-the-road, older crowd," said Tom Petty. "At first, you go, 'Oh, I don't know about that.' But it was such pure, good stuff that you had to put off your prejudices and learn to love it. It taught me not to have those prejudices." In 1967, Campbell won Grammys in both the country and pop categories.

In the summer of 1968, Campbell guest hosted the Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. The successful appearance led to his own variety show, The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour, which he hosted from 1969 until 1972. Artists like Ray Charles, Johnny Cash and Linda Ronstadt performed on the show, which also gave a national platform to rising country stars like Willie Nelson. "He exposed us to a big part of the world that would have never had the chance to see us," said Nelson. "He's always been a big help to me."

Campbell's boyish charisma led John Wayne to cast him in a co-starring role in 1969's True Grit. He later said that his acting was so amateurish that he "gave John Wayne that push to win the Academy Award." But the good times didn't last: His show was canceled; his first feature film, 1970's Norwood, flopped; and the hits dried up for a few years. Then, Campbell scored a smash with 1975's "Rhinestone Cowboy." It began a comeback that included hits "Country Boy (You Got Your Feet in L.A.") and "Southern Nights." The hits slowed down again in the Eighties; in the Nineties he opened up the Glen Campbell Goodtime Theatre in Branson, Missouri.

Campbell was married four times, and has five sons and three daughters. Despite his career successes, he struggled with alcoholism and cocaine addiction. In the early Eighties, he had a tempestuous, high-profile relationship with country singer Tanya Tucker, who was 22 years his junior. In 1981 he became a born-again Christian and in 1982 he married Kimberly Woollen, a Radio City Music Hall Rockette, who helped Campbell clean up his life.

In 2003, he was arrested for hit-and-run, an incident that ended with him allegedly kneeing a police officer in the thigh right before he was released. Campbell pleaded guilty to extreme drunken driving and leaving the scene of an accident, and spent 10 days in jail.

In 2011, Campbell, who was 75, revealed that he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. In June of that year, he announced he was retiring from music due to the disease. He released his final album of original music Ghost on the Canvas (with guests Billy Corgan, Paul Westerberg and Jakob Dylan) and embarked on a farewell tour with three of his children backing him.

"I think this has been really good for him," said his daughter Ashley. "Before the announcement, people were thinking, 'He's drunk. He's using again.' Now it's more of a supportive thing as opposed to an angry, critical thing."

In 2014, I’ll Be Me, a film about Campbell’s farewell tour and struggles with Alzheimer’s was released. He spent his final years in an assisted living facility. His friends and children would often spend days with him playing him his old songs. "Music utilizes all of the brain, not just one little section of it," Kim noted. "Everything's firing all at once. It's really stimulating and probably helped him plateau and not progress as quickly as he might have. I could tell from his spirits that it was good for him. It made him really happy. It was good for the whole family to continue touring and to just keep living our lives. And we hope it encourages other people to do the same."

Earlier this year, Campbell released Adiós, his final studio album, a collection of mainly cover songs by Bob Dylan, Harry Nilsson and others, recorded after his Goodbye Tour. "Almost every time he sat down with a guitar, these were his go-to songs," daughter Ashley Campbell told Rolling Stone Country. "They were very much engrained in his memory – like, so far back that they were one of the last things he started losing."

Campbell was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2005.

Glen Campbell Official, August 8, 2017

Glen Travis Campbell
1936-2017

It is with the heaviest of hearts that we announce the passing of our beloved husband, father, grandfather, and legendary singer and guitarist, Glen Travis Campbell, at the age of 81, following his long and courageous battle with Alzheimer's disease.

Glen is survived by his wife, Kim Campbell of Nashville, TN; their three children, Cal, Shannon and Ashley; his children from previous marriages, Debby, Kelli, Travis, Kane, and Dillon; ten grandchildren, great- and great-great-grandchildren; sisters Barbara, Sandra, and Jane; and brothers John Wallace “Shorty” and Gerald.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Glen Campbell Memorial Fund at BrightFocus Foundation through the CareLiving.org donation page.

A personal statement from Kim Campbell will follow.

The family appreciates your prayers and respect for their privacy at this time.
Wikipedia¨
Glen Campbell

Last edited by trebor on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trebor
Legend

Postby matthew_dixon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:55 pm

and in honour of one of our own who worked with him - who can forget THIS version from 2002?...

matthew_dixon
Site Editor

Postby CrazyCrazy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:57 pm

:cry:

It was inevitable but I did not want anything to happen to him, I've been in love with him for about a decade now, his voice and songs have found their way in to my heart, goodbye Glen, playing his songs now will be even sadder. :(
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby trebor » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:59 pm

His last video released late July 2017 called... "Adiós"

trebor
Legend

Postby stollar » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:14 pm

A gentleman has passed away :cry:
stollar
Roadie

Postby CrazyCrazy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:25 pm

might have to post the songs, it'll help :(
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:27 pm

CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:29 pm

One of the most beautiful songs imo.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Storyteller » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:32 pm

I knew this was coming soon :(

R.I.P.
Storyteller
Cowboy Casanova

Postby CrazyCrazy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:35 pm

these are just some favourites from the wonderful Glen, will miss you. :(
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby setg1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:40 pm

Rest in peace. :( It's not surprising but still sad to hear. He was a real legend, not only as a singer but also as a prolific session musician.

As for my favorite songs by Glen, I love "The Universal Soldier", "Rhinestone Cowboy" and "Southern Nights".
setg1
Roadie

Postby trebor » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:44 pm

Glen Campbell & Cher: "Bang Bang [Goodtime Hour]" (1969)

trebor
Legend

Postby trebor » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:47 pm

Surprisingly, this is his biggest Country hit...

Glen Campbell: "I Wanna Live" (1968)

trebor
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:47 pm

trebor wrote:Glen Campbell & Cher: "Bang Bang [Goodtime Hour]" (1969)
this show was so joyous, my current obsession.

so magic, love both of them here!
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Nippian93 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:01 pm

R.I.P. :(
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby trebor » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:03 pm

@ashcambanjo, August 8, 2017, 2 hours ago

Ashley Campbell
Heartbroken. I owe him everything I am, and everything I ever will be. He will be remembered so well and with so much love.
trebor
Legend

Postby sonia85 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:31 pm

R.I.P. :(
sonia85
Manager

Postby Colbie » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:47 am

R.i.p. :-(
Starry eyes sparking up my darkest night
Colbie
Superstar

Postby android » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:43 am

I am a lineman for the county
And I drive the main road
Searchin' in the sun for another overload
I hear you singin' in the wire

Wichita lineman will always be my favourite Glen Campbell song. RIP
android
Superstar

Postby Lamhe » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:07 pm

I've always loved "Rhinestone Cowboy".
Lamhe
Manager

Postby Wayne » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:53 pm

android wrote:I am a lineman for the county

Heard that for the first time today and goodness me, it is absolutely phenomenal - any other suggestions? Will listen to what's posted so far.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby android » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Wayne wrote:
android wrote:I am a lineman for the county

Heard that for the first time today and goodness me, it is absolutely phenomenal - any other suggestions? Will listen to what's posted so far.
Glen had a truly great voice. "I also like Try A Little Kindness" and his version of "It's Only Make Believe"

android
Superstar

Return to World News & Politics