Texas battered by Storm Harvey

Moderator: biscuits

Postby Wayne » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:17 pm

Storm Harvey: Up to 2,000 rescued as Houston hit by 'catastrophic floods'

Up to 2,000 people have been rescued from floods in and around Houston, as Tropical Storm Harvey continues to batter Texas with heavy rains.

There are reports of possible deaths in submerged vehicles, but investigations continue, Chief Darryl Coleman of the Harris County Sheriff's Office said.

Amid catastrophic flooding, the National Weather Service (NWS) warned that conditions were "unprecedented".

Many shelters have been opened, including in a convention centre.

There is a "flash flood emergency" across the Houston Metro area, with travel near impossible, the NWS says.

It earlier noted reports of five deaths, but only one fatality in Houston has been confirmed.

Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner has urged residents not to call emergency services unless their situation is life-threatening and they need to be rescued.

"Don't get on the road. Don't assume this storm is over," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41067315
This image really got to me...

Nursing home residents waiting to be rescued. :cry:
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Benjamin » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:20 pm

^ That image :cry:
Horrible.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Colbie » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Horrible indeed! :cry:
Starry eyes sparking up my darkest night
Colbie
Superstar

Postby Hugo » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:35 pm

I'm hurt by that picture, how's that even possible? :-?
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Wayne » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:40 pm

Hugo wrote:I'm hurt by that picture, how's that even possible? :-?
I really, really don't know - it's almost like they've set them up with bottles of water to help them but then they've been left alone. It's horrific.

The woman who's still knitting. :cry:
Wayne
Administrator

Postby stevyy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:29 pm

well at least Donald Trump wished them all "Good Luck".

I swear this alone would be grounds for impeachment in any other sane western democracy.

I hope the people are helped asap. This is a disgrace. How can they leave them in that house like that? Disgusting. They need to be helped asap!!! I am repeating, asap.
stevyy
Legend

Postby menime123 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:17 am

stevyy wrote:well at least Donald Trump wished them all "Good Luck".

I swear this alone would be grounds for impeachment in any other sane western democracy.

I hope the people are helped asap. This is a disgrace. How can they leave them in that house like that? Disgusting. They need to be helped asap!!! I am repeating, asap.
Any other sane decocracy wouldn't have let him have the nomination let alone the office :lol:

It took me a few looks to understand what you were all talking about in that picture but :o

Why aren't they on the table? Or on doors like Rose? Trust the cat in the back to be dry.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby Guru » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:51 am

That's a sad pic :cry:
Forces of nature :cry:
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Wayne » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:07 am

CNN picked up the story of that photo above.

The photo was taken by the owner of the home, who took it so she could send to the authorities who'd asked them to stay put.

The care home owner said she was specifically instructed to stay put but that she should put her own plans in place until the impact of the storm could be seen.

20-25 people were rescued from that home.

The majority of residents were oxygen dependent or in wheelchairs.

Appalling that they were left like that. Couldn't they have been moved to like an upstairs area or something?
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Biebz » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:46 pm

As if they just let the water rise around them wtf!
my reputation's never been worse so you must like me for me
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby Hugo » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:33 am

"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby spiritboy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:06 pm

Is it as bad as Katrina or worse?
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Hugo » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:08 pm

spiritboy wrote:Is it as bad as Katrina or worse?
Thousands died after the Hurricane Katrina, so definitely not as bad as that catastrophe.

Here you have a comparison: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/u ... -1.3202083
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby spiritboy » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:39 pm

Hugo wrote:
spiritboy wrote:Is it as bad as Katrina or worse?
Thousands died after the Hurricane Katrina, so definitely not as bad as that catastrophe.

Here you have a comparison: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/u ... -1.3202083
Thanks.

Not as many deaths, thankfully, still awful.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Hugo » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:06 pm

"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby biscuits » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:13 pm

Another excuse to bring Beyoncé into a topic
biscuits
The Diva

Postby biscuits » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:14 pm

I saw footage of a herd of cows running to higher grounds through the floods. Broke my heart :cry:
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Hugo » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:16 pm

biscuits wrote:Another excuse to bring Beyoncé into a topic
It's related, cant' get mad. 8-)
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby TIfan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:49 pm

Hugo buddy,
I think you are doing too much with this one. Of course she is going to help, it's her home state.
TIfan
Legend

Postby TIfan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:51 pm

I've donated. Not that much for the moment, but a little something. My cousin is planning something with her church, so I will be prepared for that.

That picture is just too much for me.
TIfan
Legend

Postby Wayne » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:52 pm

Some woman who was rescued saw two alligators in her back yard as she was getting out. :o
Wayne
Administrator

Postby TIfan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:53 pm

^^^ After living in Florida, Gators were very common. Not sure how much Texas has to deal with them, but it is still a scary thought.
TIfan
Legend

Postby joiPrince_JO » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:48 am

Trump won't let Mexico help Texas
WASHINGTON ― The Trump administration has not decided whether it will accept aid from Mexico to help victims of the hurricane that has devastated swaths of Texas and overwhelmed emergency responders.

If a need for assistance does arise, we will work with our partners, including Mexico, to determine the best way forward,” the White House and State Department said in identical statements after Mexico offered “help and cooperation” to aid U.S. recovery from Hurricane Harvey, which has killed at least nine people, displaced tens of thousands and destroyed countless homes.

Asked if the Trump administration’s assessment is that there is no need for assistance from Mexico, the White House referred HuffPost to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which punted to the State Department, which directed questions back to FEMA.

The Mexican government has proved willing and able to provide crucial help to Americans in the wake of previous natural disasters. In September 2005, days after Hurricane Katrina wiped out cities along the Gulf Coast, soldiers from the Mexican army rolled across the border in a 45-vehicle convoy and set up camp at a former Air Force base near San Antonio. Over the next three weeks, the Mexican soldiers served 170,000 meals to hurricane victims, distributed 184,000 tons of supplies, and conducted more than 500 medical consultations, recalled Stephen Kelly, a former diplomat who was serving at the U.S. embassy in Mexico City at the time. Mexican sailors also offered rescue-and-recovery assistance, and helped clear storm debris.
Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:52 am

Storm Harvey: Trump seeks $7.8bn for flood recovery

US President Donald Trump has asked Congress for $7.8bn (£6bn) as an initial payment to help with recovery efforts following flooding in Texas and Louisiana.

Officials say there will be further requests for funds when the full impact of Hurricane Harvey becomes known.

Some residents have been allowed to return to their homes but flood waters are still rising in other areas.

Mr Trump is to visit Texas for a second time on Saturday.

The hurricane made landfall in the state a week ago, causing devastating floods.

It has been blamed for the deaths of at least 47 people and about 43,000 are currently housed in shelters.

In a letter to House of Representatives Speaker Paul Ryan, White House budget director Mick Mulvaney warned that failure to raise the US debt ceiling could hinder recovery efforts.

The debt ceiling is a cap on the total amount the US government can borrow. Only Congress can raise that limit.

"This request is a down-payment on the president's commitment to help affected states recover from the storm, and future requests will address longer-term rebuilding needs," Mr Mulvaney said.

Governor of Texas Greg Abbott has said the state may need more than $125bn in aid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41133862
Huge sums of money - potentially up to $125 billion needed.
Wayne
Administrator

Return to World News & Politics