Moderator: biscuits

Postby ThaInfo1 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:38 pm

Rihab wrote:I really don't give a f about royals, but Diana is a queen
!!!!!!
SEE.sza.RUN
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Wayne » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:45 pm

theArmy wrote:Highly doubt that, in the UK yeah probably, but on the outside most people don't really care about her the way the world did for Diana.
Liz had a great run.
For the UK I mean - nobody knows what will happen in the rest of the world but for the UK...

The death of Queen Elizabeth will be the most disruptive event in Britain in the last 70 years

But what happens then?

For at least 12 days — between her passing, the funeral and beyond — Britain will grind to a halt. It'll cost the British economy billions in lost earnings due to the chaos. And both the funeral and the subsequent coronation will become formal national holidays, each with an estimated economic hit to GDP of between £1.2 and £6 billion as banks, businesses and the stock markets close, to say nothing of organisational costs.

But to focus on the financial disruption doesn't begin to describe the sheer magnitude of it. It will be an event unlike anything Britain has seen since the end of the Second World War. There will be trivial disruptions — the BBC will cancel all comedy shows, for example — and jarring cultural changes. Prince Charles may change his name, for instance, and the words of the national anthem will be changed, too. The British Commonwealth might even unravel completely.

The deaths of Princess Diana and the Queen Mother both brought on waves of public mourning and hysteria. But the Queen, due to her longevity and fundamental place atop British society, will be on a whole new level above that.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/q ... 01696.html
The UK - and possibly the world - is not prepared for a death of this magnitude, even though she is getting on. Let's not forget that she is The Queen of 16 countries and the Head of the Commonwealth (which comprises 52 countries). So from a constitutional standpoint and from a trading standpoint, 1/4 of the world will come to a halt when she dies. This doesn't begin to the tell the story though - the Independent article above tells it far better than I ever could.

I need menime here to help me. :lol:
Wayne
Administrator

Postby flopho » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:50 pm

Thriller wrote:
joiPrince_JO wrote:
Wayne wrote:
MrLeonix wrote:She was the definition of global because her death was such a huge shocking event and news here in Latin America. I remember the daily world life stopped that day, everyone was just stuck watching the news on TV. It was a big deal and the coverage went for weeks actually.
It will be the same when Queen Elizabeth dies (which hopefully will not be for a good many years yet).

She is the most famous person in the world, the only living person I can think of who's death will have that same magnitude.

I do wonder had Di not died; what would the world look like now?
We'd have world peace, ISIS would never have been a thing, Trump wouldn't be president, Brexit wouldn't have happened.

I think she would have continued her charity work, married somebody else, have more children and maybe exposed some royal scandals.
As much as I'd have loved that, I'm not sure one woman could prevent so much?! :lol:
:lol: :lol:
Shame on me for changing...no, shame on you for staying the same
flopho
Legend

Postby KokoCollino » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:27 pm

Rihab wrote:I really don't give a f about royals, but Diana is a queen
I'll find my way home
KokoCollino
Manager

Postby menime123 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:20 pm

joiPrince_JO wrote:The world would've been a better place if she were still alive.

She would have beautiful mixed children, gotten married again, etc. Brexit wouldn't have happened and Harry wouldn't have been such a mess during the 2000s.

Basically there would be world peace now.

I was two years old when she died, but my mom still tears up when Diana is on TV nowadays.
Oh what a load of sentimental old shit :lol:

Diana is still only universally loved for 2 reasons: she was cheated on and that she died. She was not the saint she is made out to be - the truth is the media backlash against her was already starting before she died.

Whilst she did some positive things during her life time, she over played the scorned woman and people were getting bored of it. Yes, Charles was very wrong to cheat. Bad HRH. But she had no regard for her children nor the people she would have been Queen to by airing their dirty laundry in public.

Diana played the media and towards the end she was struggling to control it. She was trying to move on with her life, but in a time before reality shows and wide spread internet - the press ruled gossip and information and having exhausted her and Charles' marriage, they wanted more from her: which she quickly came to resent and learnt she couldn't control.

The truth is had Diana lived, she would have had to either toe the line or be the family embarrassment. She was mother to the future King - regardless of what she wanted, she couldn't keep running around trying to play the celebrity. The royal family are not celebrities and as mother to the future king, she was always going to be involved in 'the family' one day.

No matter how much she tried to embarrass Charles, she had to get over it. The truth is Charles would have probably ended up with Camilla anyway. Whether they would have married or not I'm not so sure (certainly not whilst The Queen was alive), but I think having gone through such a public mauling over the affair and still ending up with Camilla has at least some form of redemption for him.

Diana clearly wasn't made for public duty and I do not believe for a second she would have took to the role of Queen in the way that the public expects (even if her and Charles were madly in love). Anyone under the age of 60 has never known another King or Queen on the throne, so Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip's example is the absolute blueprint - and frankly, anything less than total dedication wouldn't have cut it.

Was her death tragic? Absolutely. It's probably the biggest single thing to happen in modern times to the UK that truly enters the history books - meaning it'll be discussed in 50 years, 100 years and most probably still be a footnote in 500 years. Every time kids study the royal family Diana will always be mentioned in relation to Charles, William and - to a lesser extent - George. Royalty isn't ever killed - we still discuss Anne Boleyn 500 years later, so yes, her death is tragic but she will be forever remembered as the woman who would be Queen.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:28 pm

Wayne wrote:
theArmy wrote:Highly doubt that, in the UK yeah probably, but on the outside most people don't really care about her the way the world did for Diana.
Liz had a great run.
For the UK I mean - nobody knows what will happen in the rest of the world but for the UK...

The death of Queen Elizabeth will be the most disruptive event in Britain in the last 70 years

But what happens then?

For at least 12 days — between her passing, the funeral and beyond — Britain will grind to a halt. It'll cost the British economy billions in lost earnings due to the chaos. And both the funeral and the subsequent coronation will become formal national holidays, each with an estimated economic hit to GDP of between £1.2 and £6 billion as banks, businesses and the stock markets close, to say nothing of organisational costs.

But to focus on the financial disruption doesn't begin to describe the sheer magnitude of it. It will be an event unlike anything Britain has seen since the end of the Second World War. There will be trivial disruptions — the BBC will cancel all comedy shows, for example — and jarring cultural changes. Prince Charles may change his name, for instance, and the words of the national anthem will be changed, too. The British Commonwealth might even unravel completely.

The deaths of Princess Diana and the Queen Mother both brought on waves of public mourning and hysteria. But the Queen, due to her longevity and fundamental place atop British society, will be on a whole new level above that.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/q ... 01696.html
The UK - and possibly the world - is not prepared for a death of this magnitude, even though she is getting on. Let's not forget that she is The Queen of 16 countries and the Head of the Commonwealth (which comprises 52 countries). So from a constitutional standpoint and from a trading standpoint, 1/4 of the world will come to a halt when she dies. This doesn't begin to the tell the story though - the Independent article above tells it far better than I ever could.

I need menime here to help me. :lol:
Lemme just pause my soaps :lol:

Right, firstly, Queen Elizabeth II's death is something almost no one can prepare for, and TheArmy's ignorance is a prime example of that. The Queen has ruled for 65 years - so anyone under the age of 65 has absolutely no idea what to really expect. Hell, she was born before almost everyone any of us know. Just dwell on that for a moment.

Our only points of reference are Diana's death (dominated by the shock of it all) and HRH Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother back in 2002. As popular as both were (and they were both the most popular members of the family) they were not anointed sovereigns chosen by God to rule - and that means when Elizabeth II dies, it will be a whole new ball game for almost everyone.

Not royalty, but the last state funeral the UK held was Margaret Thatcher's in 2013. A divisive woman if there ever was one, even in death she had an impact - TV stations cancelled schedules to pay tribute, her critics bought the song 'Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead' from 'The Wizard of Oz' by the bucket load, sending the song to #2 on the official Singles Chart - hell, even the west end show 'Billy Elliot' (which has a song called 'Merry Christmas, Maggie Thatcher' and a huge 15 foot puppet of her) asked at the start of the show whether audience members wanted it included, or removed out of respect for her (they kept it in). If a politician who died a retired recluse can have such an impact, what sort of impact do you think our Queen will have?

I think people forget how loved and cherished The Queen truly is. Her death will be global news, because she is a global monarch - she is Queen of 16 countries, head of state in 52, and these are just the current numbers - everywhere that has gained independence under her will surely pay tribute too. Then there are heads of state everywhere who will pay tribute - particularly the US, which seems to love our Royal Family. Actually, one of my favourite stories of her was when Michelle Obama put her hand on The Queen's back during a photo shoot - such uproar! "How DARE the First Lady of the USA break protocol and touch The Queen!''. I also loved it when The Queen playfully dismissed The Obamas too :lol:

The Queen has dedicated her entire life to public service. Regardless of whether you consider public engagements a job or not, she has conducted tens of thousands of them in her record breaking reign. Health permitting, she will never retire and contrary to recent rumours, she will never abdicate.

On a public level, Britain will do as it has always done - largely we will keep calm and carry on, using The Queen as inspiration. But life will change. Prince Charles will become King, and has threatened a number of times he may change his name. Camilla will almost certainly become Queen - she has public support now and I think people have come around to the idea. Certainly, she will cease to be a Duchess and at the very minimum become an official Princess.

The Cambridges will become The Prince and Princess of Wales and Britain will have to get used to that no longer being Diana's title. Stamps will change. Post boxes will be replaced. All legal tender will be recalled and replaced. The national anthem will change and a legion of sporting fans will spend a decade forgetting which pronoun to use out of sheer habit.

One of the biggest changes will be to The Commonwealth. The Queen is its current head, but it is not a hereditary position, so anyone may have it. Some nations may ask for independence.

Culturally, I expect mourners to purchase or stream a song in remembrance of her. Possibly Sing by Gary Barlow, but I like the idea of Jerusalem as its more traditional. Potentially it might be The Sex Pistols but I'm not down for that. TV will completely cancel the schedule for weeks. British soaps will record special scenes in tribute. Most likely, The Coronation film (narrated by Lawrence Olivier) may be re-screened in cinemas. The Queen had made a number of documentaries over the years - most will be dusted off and rescreened by the BBC.

The funeral will be a day of national mourning and a bank holiday. I expect almost every business will close, allowing employees to watch the funeral. Expect many stories about wicked bosses forcing staff to work. I will need the week off.

Long term, a name for her reign will be established and the older we get, we will all realise its importance. The Victorian Era is revered for its monarch and its cultural impact - The Second Elizabethan Era (I hate the name) will be just as important.

The funeral will be pomp like we have never seen before, and 12 months later, Charles' coronation will drag us all out to the streets again. It is the British way. Every major head of state on the planet will attend both. Britain may be small, but our traditions and Royal family go back over 1000 years - you can't escape its importance or impact - in a world of politicians, it remains above all of that.

Yes, it will be incredibly sad. But you watch - her death will reignite interest in the monarchy like none we have ever seen. We are so used to having her, the process of succession will spark global interest in the royal family and it will catch everyone off guard.

Now if you don't mind, I have Eastenders on pause to get back to :lol:
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby stevyy » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:08 pm

me and my brother, we were playing in our room and had the radio on. We were 12 years old in August 1997. And then it was announced on the radio that Princess Diana died and I immediately stormed down to my parents and told my mom.

Up to that point I had no experience with death. I was such a huge Diana mega stan. I admired her so much. I thought she was the most beautiful woman of all times. Also beautiful on the inside.

So the news hit me so hard. I also watched her memorial / funeral on TV.

In my lifetime, Diana's death was the most tragic. I hated and still hate that she died. So pointless.. I think her and John Lennon were done so wrong. To me they were the greatest famous people who have ever lived and had they not died so soooooooooooooooooooooon, they could have and would have changed the world as we know it today.

Diana today would have made the world come together.

That is another one thing we Germans and Brits have in common. To us she also was, is and will forever be a SAINT, a true dignified staple of grace.

In her lifetime and especially in her death, she was and become the most admired female of the 20th century.

Also, for a brief moment in 1997, I really despised the French for this. I somehow blamed them. It was such a tragedy and so dumb.

Thinking about having her alive today, makes me still so very sad because she is still missing so much. Thinking about the princes makes me teary. The way William and Harry speak of her - heartbreaking.

She was one of the finest human beings. If only she knew somehow how revered she was and is today.
stevyy
Legend

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:26 pm

Diana is one of those persons who are meant to be icons and transcend time and history. She will always be relevant and will be forever inmortalized as one of the most famous beings in our planet. World treasure names like, Ghandi, Mozart, Teresa, Lincoln, Marie Antoinette, Picasso, Disney..... Diana's name and being is on that same league !!

Diana is a world's icon. She meant and represented a lot of meaningful things to billions of people.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . U2 . Radiohead . Lenny Kravitz . Led Zeppelin . Daft Punk . Oasis . Eminem . Metallica . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby Thriller » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:41 pm

Love your dedication Wayne and meninme, the Queen's death will certainly be a huge deal but it won't match the sheer shock of Diana's due to her age and I think my everyday life will carry on without much of a hitch.
Thriller

Postby menime123 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:07 pm

Thriller wrote:Love your dedication Wayne and meninme, the Queen's death will certainly be a huge deal but it won't match the sheer shock of Diana's due to her age and I think my everyday life will carry on without much of a hitch.
Of course it won’t match Diana’s shock factor. As I say above, Royality isn’t killed - but they do die. I doubt Diana caused you any issues in your life too when she died, but the death of your Queen isn’t something you’ll have experienced before, nor the crowning of a new King.

It’s the little things I think people forget will change - not just the stamps and national anthem, but the fact that the Queen is also Supreme Governor of the Church of England etc.

I fully expect the flower situation to be the same when the Queen dies as it was for Diana. Don’t underestimate the love for the Queen or the establishment - you’ve seen how big the official celebrations have been: official mourning will be even bigger.

Oh, and there’s no meninme thanks :lol:
menime123
Superstar

Postby jochen » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:10 am

I never cared
Dont know.
Never got the hype. I also dont find her interresting at all
She seemed nice and Innocent but i dont kniw why they made her such a saint.

I heard it early morning. It was nonstop on tv.
My grandmother shouted 'put off that damn tv'.
She didnt like to hear it constantly.
YOU cant blame nobody but YOU
jochen
Manager

Postby Wayne » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:30 am

As you'd expect, lots of Diana programmes on TV this week. I've just watched one called Diana, 7 Days and it was chilling.

The two Princes talking very candidly about growing up with Diana and then hearing them talk about the press who chased her down and then photographed her while she dying on the backseat of the car...very surreal.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby biscuits » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:47 am

Meninme :lol:
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Thriller » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:02 pm

menime123 wrote:
Thriller wrote:Love your dedication Wayne and meninme, the Queen's death will certainly be a huge deal but it won't match the sheer shock of Diana's due to her age and I think my everyday life will carry on without much of a hitch.
Of course it won’t match Diana’s shock factor. As I say above, Royality isn’t killed - but they do die. I doubt Diana caused you any issues in your life too when she died, but the death of your Queen isn’t something you’ll have experienced before, nor the crowning of a new King.

It’s the little things I think people forget will change - not just the stamps and national anthem, but the fact that the Queen is also Supreme Governor of the Church of England etc.

I fully expect the flower situation to be the same when the Queen dies as it was for Diana. Don’t underestimate the love for the Queen or the establishment - you’ve seen how big the official celebrations have been: official mourning will be even bigger.

Oh, and there’s no meninme thanks :lol:
WHAT :o I always believed that was your name :lol: did think it was quite lewd.

Yes I fully agree, the magnitude of the Queen's death will be enormous and it will be a new experience, but I don't think my life will grind to a halt - I'd hope to think I'll still be able to buy food, go to work and drive my car on the days surrounding it.
Thriller

Postby Rihab » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:45 pm

biscuits wrote:Meninme :lol:
noooooooo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rihab
Legend

Postby Wayne » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:48 pm

Can y'all not remember we've covered this before? :lol:

viewtopic.php?p=5173674#p5173674
Wayne
Administrator

Postby menime123 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:27 pm

Wayne wrote:Can y'all not remember we've covered this before? :lol:

viewtopic.php?p=5173674#p5173674" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
:o

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh god. So ya’ll read me as ‘Men-in-me, 1, 2, 3’? :oops:

It’s like a bad line from Madonna’s sex book. No wonder ya’ll never take me seriously :lol:
menime123
Superstar

Postby biscuits » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:38 pm

Lord, 3 men in?! Slut.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby Fan » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:22 pm

biscuits wrote:Lord, 3 men in?! Slut.
Only on UKMIX it's possible to turn a Princess Diana topic into this kind of conversation.

But on a more serious note, I was very young when Diana died (six), so I honestly don't remember a lot about that. Looking back though, it really was a tragedy. While I don't believe Diana was the saint she is made up to be, it's insane how the press treated and harrassed her. I was watching this documentary about her the other day and it was chilling to see, especially when you know how it all ended.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Rihab » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:41 pm

Fan wrote:
biscuits wrote:Lord, 3 men in?! Slut.
Only on UKMIX it's possible to turn a Princess Diana topic into this kind of conversation.
:lol:
Rihab
Legend

Postby iMacourey » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:46 pm

biscuits wrote:I remember coming down at 8am to watch cartoons (it was a Sunday I believe). My sister was already downstairs with Nickelodeon on and told me that there had been a breaking news banner on the bottom of the screen all morning about Princess Diana's death. As an 11 and 8 year old, we didn't really know much about her or why this was breaking news on a kids channel.

An hour or so later, my mom came down and we mentioned it to her straight away and she pretty much froze on the spot and immediately made us switch to BBC or whatever news channel she asked for. Then she was pretty much glued to the TV for the rest of the day and was really emotional. Again, we didn't understand why but my mom told us what a good person she was and how it is really sad. I think she called my grandma after that (who was 63 at the time with little English skills but still admired Lady Di).

One significant thing I remember the following week was the top 40 was not being broadcast on radio 1.
OMG literally exactly the same story for me... Watching Nickelodeon in the morning, seeing the news banners, going upstairs to tell my mum (who was shocked), switching over to the BBC for the rest of the day...
iMacourey
Groupie

Postby biscuits » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:31 pm

^ 8-)
biscuits
The Diva

Postby thebigham » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:21 pm

I was at a gay wedding in Washington D.C.. It was on the tv at the bar at the hotel during the reception.
thebigham
Legend

Postby oaknuys » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:57 pm

I was right in the middle of being a teenager and I remember that devastating news made me pinned to watch tele for a couple of days back to back, moreover I bought all the times/newsweek magazines corresponding to the tragedy.

She was indeed an angel and i feel utterly heartbroken whenever I think of her.
Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting :)
oaknuys
Manager

Postby Guru » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:08 pm

men-in-me 123 :lol:
Forget 3. One hundred and twenty three :lol:
#MajorBooKahKee :lol:
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Return to World News & Politics