Mexico: 7.1 Earth Quake (September 19, 2017)

Moderator: biscuits

Postby trebor » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:39 pm

BBC: Mexico: Strong quake strikes, collapsing buildings

A strong earthquake has struck central Mexico, toppling buildings in the capital Mexico City and killing several people, reports say.
The capital's airport has suspended operations after the 7.1 magnitude quake, and buildings across the city have been evacuated.
Fire has been reported in several buildings, with some people said to be trapped inside.
Earlier this month, a strong 8.1 magnitude tremor left at least 90 dead.
The epicentre of the quake was next to Atencingo in the central state of Puebla, some 120km (75 miles) from the capital Mexico City, the US Geological Survey said.
Damage was also reported in other towns around the capital, with local media reporting at least three deaths in Puebla.
The tremor happened as an earthquake drill was being held in Mexico City, on the 32nd anniversary of a quake that killed up to 10,000 people.
trebor
Legend

Postby MusicRecords » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:00 pm

Omg I'm looking through the videos and pics online and it's all terrible! Saw vids of buildings collapsing and even a small apt one with people who were looking out through the window and didn't have enough time to get out before it collapsed....saw another video of a lamppost that fell on top of a woman....I can't get those horrifying images out of my head! There was also a vid of some huge explosion :cry: :cry:

Also, for those of u who were wondering, Shawn Mendes was in Mexico City during the earthquake but has been reported to be safe, apparently they say his show tomorrow will be cancelled

Also, this happened on the anniversary of the terrible 1985 earthquake there
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby Mainshow » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:55 pm

The pictures and videos are frightening and utterly saddening :(

I hope they'll find the lost ones very fast and that the hurt will get better very soon :(

This is tragic :(
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby BlueScorpion » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:11 am

So sad and frightening. Nature is the ultimate force we have to respect and revere.
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby Colbie » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:26 am

Over 200 dead already :-(
Mic Mic Bungee
Colbie
Superstar

Postby Nippian93 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:29 am

❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby spiritboy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:14 am

Devastating. I can't believe it happened on the anniversary of the horrible earthquake.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby SalBoy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:27 pm

The Nature is unpredictable

Poor people I’m so glad Europe does not have weather problems aka Irma or earthquakes :( :cry:
Meaning of Grammy - album of the decade!!!
SalBoy
Roadie

Return to World News & Politics