Is it time to give up the search for Madeleine McCann?

Having spent over £11m, should the UK government stop funding the search for Madeleine McCann?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes : 29

Postby JimJim » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:22 pm

Yes, definitely. Why spend that insane amount of money on her search, when there are literally 1000s of other missing people (including children) that no one seems to care about anywhere near as much? I don't understand what is going on behind the scenes for the government/police to think it is worthwhile?

I don't think this story was quite as big here, but I have definitely heard of it from time-to-time.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby menime123 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:45 pm

JimJim wrote:Yes, definitely. Why spend that insane amount of money on her search, when there are literally 1000s of other missing people (including children) that no one seems to care about anywhere near as much? I don't understand what is going on behind the scenes for the government/police to think it is worthwhile?

I don't think this story was quite as big here, but I have definitely heard of it from time-to-time.
Because children under the age of 13 going missing rarely happens. Teenagers can runaway from home, but a younger child who actually goes missing hardly ever happens where they aren’t found on the first day. If a child was missing overnight it would be news here in the UK. For a 3 year old to go missing without a trace just doesn’t happen. There is nothing different or special about The McCanns other than it happening on foreign soil.

Sadly, most instances of a young child going missing in the UK - thankfully as rare as they are - are found dead. But there is closure in those instances. The McCanns haven’t the first idea whether their daughter is alive or not and must be in a constant state of limbo - how do you move on from your child going missing, when they could be found live tomorrow?

It’s the human element of it all - we would all hope the government would never stop funding a search for one of our own children. The extension money would only ever have been approved if there were viable leads still to investigate. We’re only talking a few thousand pounds to potentially uncover the truth, and the total spend is nothing compared to Brexit costs.

If you want to be a cynic, it’s very low cost to a government who can claim brownie points should she ever be found. But most people in the UK would be interested in knowing what happened to this poor girl... whatever the outcome. As I said, it’s so rare for a young child to go missing and not be found.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:54 pm

menime123 wrote:It’s the human element of it all - we would all hope the government would never stop funding a search for one of our own children. The extension money would only ever have been approved if there were viable leads still to investigate. We’re only talking a few thousand pounds to potentially uncover the truth, and the total spend is nothing compared to Brexit costs.

If you want to be a cynic, it’s very low cost to a government who can claim brownie points should she ever be found. But most people in the UK would be interested in knowing what happened to this poor girl... whatever the outcome. As I said, it’s so rare for a young child to go missing and not be found.
The protagonist in me wants to say that whilst this most recent authorised fund may only be £154k, we've already spent £11m - and we are no further forward in terms of understanding her disapperance than we were 10 years ago.

And you reducing the signifcance of that £154k to "a few thousand pounds" when there's so many other things it could be spent on is ironic. Not quite sure why Brexit is relevant unless to disprove your point further (in that we have even less money which makes that £154k even more precious).

Again - not my views, but the protagonist in me. :lol:
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Thriller » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:34 pm

Yes. As terrible as it is, she will most likely be dead and even if she isn't, she will by now have completely adapted to her new life and will have very little memory of her old one. If she was ever found it would be extremely traumatic for her.
Thriller

Postby Colbie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:28 pm

^ True.
Starry eyes sparking up my darkest night
Colbie
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:25 pm

Wayne wrote:
menime123 wrote:It’s the human element of it all - we would all hope the government would never stop funding a search for one of our own children. The extension money would only ever have been approved if there were viable leads still to investigate. We’re only talking a few thousand pounds to potentially uncover the truth, and the total spend is nothing compared to Brexit costs.

The protagonist in me wants to say that whilst this most recent authorised fund may only be £154k, we've already spent £11m - and we are no further forward in terms of understanding her disapperance than we were 10 years ago.

And you reducing the signifcance of that £154k to "a few thousand pounds" when there's so many other things it could be spent on is ironic. Not quite sure why Brexit is relevant unless to disprove your point further (in that we have even less money which makes that £154k even more precious).

Again - not my views, but the protagonist in me. :lol:
What has been spent has been spent and we can do nothing about it. £154k of government funds is a tiny amount of their budget. If we can agree to pay €20 billion towards Brexit then yes, we can spend a few thousand trying to find a missing girl - and if it works, no one will bat an eyelid at the cost towards finding her.

Again, imagine it was your child, sister, niece, granddaughter, neighbour or friend that had gone missing and imagine being told the government will not finance viable leads that might lead to her recovery. I stand by the idea that the government would only agree to finance the search if they had been satisfied there were leads to investigate.

We are Britons and we strive to do what is right, not what is cost effective. Is it in the national interest to find her? I think so, yes. This is a story that had national attention and you’d be hard to find anyone who didn’t really care about what happened to her. As a nation I think we want to know and should we ever find out, no one will care about how much it cost.

And believe me, I don’t usually agree with anything this government does, but I do agree with this.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Return to Celebrity Gossip