Is it time to give up the search for Madeleine McCann?

Having spent over £11m, should the UK government stop funding the search for Madeleine McCann?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes : 29

Postby Wayne » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:31 pm

Madeleine McCann: Police given more funding for inquiry

Police have been given more money to continue investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

The Home Office sanctioned a £154,000 boost to fund the Metropolitan Police inquiry - known as Operation Grange - up until the end of March 2018.

Madeleine was three when she went missing from a holiday apartment in Praia da Luz, Portugal on 3 May 2007.

More than £11m has been spent on the search so far. The Met have been involved in the inquiry since 2011.

It is understood the total cost of the operation for the year 2017/18 is about £309,000. Funding for Operation Grange had been agreed up until the end of September.

The Met said in April it was still pursuing a critical line of inquiry and hoped officers could provide answers to Madeleine's family.

A Home Office spokesperson said: "Following an application from the Metropolitan Police, the Home Office has confirmed funding for Operation Grange until the end of March 2018.

"As with all applications, the resources required are reviewed regularly and careful consideration is given before any funding is allocated."

Thursday 3 May 2007: Timeline

20:30 Kate and Gerry McCann leave their apartment to have dinner at a Tapas bar

21:05 Gerry McCann checks on Madeleine and her siblings

22:00 A man is seen carrying a child wearing pyjamas heading towards the ocean (E-fit images of the suspect were released as part of a 2013 Crimewatch appeal)

22:00 Kate McCann raises the alarm that Madeleine has gone missing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41431516
Today, the UK government have signed off an additional £154k to police to enable them to continue searching for Madeleine McCann up until March.

And to suggest it's received scathing criticism would be an understatement - so, question of the century: should the UK government stop funding the search for Madeleine McCann?

For what it's worth, this is probably one of the biggest stories in UK modern history.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Hugo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Yeah, it's stupid and the parents did it.

You don't leave three little kids alone, that's a crime.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Tansike » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:34 pm

Hugo wrote:Yeah, it's stupid and the parents did it.

Tansike
Legend

Postby SalBoy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:36 pm

They should ages ago

Parents probably killed her or found her dead and throw her in Portuguese sea to rot ...
Meaning of Grammy - album of the decade!!!
SalBoy
Roadie

Postby menime123 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:46 pm

Of course they should continue to fund the search. In the scheme of things, the additional funds isn’t that huge a sum and no one will bat an eyelid if it leads to finding out what happened.

Put simply - if it happened to any of us we’d want the government to keep funding the search for as long as it takes. When we are spending billions on Brexit a few thousand pounds on a finding an abducted child is nothing.

Also I believe if there was nothing to investigate the government wouldn’t fund it.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby DnBLover » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:47 pm

The fact that the Portuguese government spent more money looking for this ghost than for most other missing Portuguese kids combined, and now knowing that this is still a thing....

How the f are the parents still not caged? Are they really that important and influential.

SHAME
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby iMacourey » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:40 pm

In a word, yes.
iMacourey
Groupie

Postby biscuits » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:10 pm

White privilege at its finest.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby SalBoy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:35 pm

biscuits wrote:White privilege at its finest.
Are you black or something?
SalBoy
Roadie

Postby biscuits » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:37 pm

SalBoy wrote:
Why do you ask?
biscuits
The Diva

Postby MusicRecords » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:49 pm

biscuits wrote:
SalBoy wrote:
Why do you ask?
He/she asked the same thing on the super bowl thread... :-?
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby biscuits » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:53 pm

If it were parents of a different race or social class, they'd have had their other kids taken into care and the search wouldn't have made it past 2007.

So yeah, time to call it off and use that money on more plausible cases
biscuits
The Diva

Postby BlueScorpion » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:38 am

They shouldn't spend a single penny on this. The Portuguese police (or Gonçalo Amaral at least) came up with a proper theory backed by enough evidences that Madeleine's parents were to blame for this mess. I'm still stunned at how they never suffered a single consequence of their acts. :o
BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby Mikerocha » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:59 am

BlueScorpion wrote:They shouldn't spend a single penny on this. The Portuguese police (or Gonçalo Amaral at least) came up with a proper theory backed by enough evidences that Madeleine's parents were to blame for this mess. I'm still stunned at how they never suffered a single consequence of their acts. :o
Because they were quite influential in their area of business right? They even knew British politicians or whatever so they got help to hide whatever they did.
I'm ready to be loved and love the way I should
Life's about, life's about to get good
Mikerocha
Superstar

Postby android » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:31 pm

BlueScorpion wrote:They shouldn't spend a single penny on this. The Portuguese police (or Gonçalo Amaral at least) came up with a proper theory backed by enough evidences that Madeleine's parents were to blame for this mess. I'm still stunned at how they never suffered a single consequence of their acts. :o
Mmm if there was enough evidence by the Portuguese Authorities than there should and would have been an arrest and then a trial. Conspiracy theories, suspicion and poor parenting does not automatically mean their guilty of a child's disappearance.
android
Superstar

Postby Mikerocha » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:01 pm

android wrote:
Mmm if there was enough evidence by the Portuguese Authorities than there should and would have been an arrest and then a trial. Conspiracy theories, suspicion and poor parenting does not automatically mean their guilty of a child's disappearance.
Well the portuguese authorities were about to do ghat, the Portuguese and English Prime Ministers had an “emergency meeting” at the time and the team leading the investigation in Portugal were sacked. There was definitely a cover up by goverbment.
I'm ready to be loved and love the way I should
Life's about, life's about to get good
Mikerocha
Superstar

Postby DnBLover » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:56 pm

Mikerocha wrote:
android wrote:
Well the portuguese authorities were about to do ghat, the Portuguese and English Prime Ministers had an “emergency meeting” at the time and the team leading the investigation in Portugal were sacked. There was definitely a cover up by goverbment.
Exactly they were gonna get arrested!!!
But they the British media turned it into "parents are being framed" and for some reason they were let loose and left unharmed.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby BlueScorpion » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:07 pm

... then they fled the country. I side with PJ Inspector Gonçalo Amaral, he's given precise insights and details. IMO this documentary sums up pretty well the whole thing:

BlueScorpion
Superstar

Postby urbanmusik » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:09 pm

this :(
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby MrDiva » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:32 pm

wtf
LIKE VICTORIA FOX ON FACEBOOK
https://www.facebook.com/VictoriaFoxNow/
Follow me on Instagram @mrdeeva
MrDiva
Superstar

Postby SalBoy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:56 pm

biscuits wrote:
SalBoy wrote:
Why do you ask?
Because I don’t understand why at skin colour has to do with people’s tragedy? They has funds and heads on their necks to know how to play it and because British people buys everything so that why they it took so long. People loves tragedy
SalBoy
Roadie

Postby joiPrince_JO » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:22 am

Hugo wrote:Yeah, it's stupid and the parents did it.

Girls' Generation
HyoYeonBritney Spears

Girls' Generation is the best-selling girl group of all time.
joiPrince_JO
Legend

Postby Jesper » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:28 am

SalBoy wrote:
Because I don’t understand why at skin colour has to do with people’s tragedy? They has funds and heads on their necks to know how to play it and because British people buys everything so that why they it took so long. People loves tragedy
You can't be that naive.
Jesper
Legend

Postby Serby » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:05 am

Because it is lol being colour blind is nice, but reality is different. Not everyone gets treated the same.
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby heppolo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:17 am

Serby wrote:Because it is lol being colour blind is nice, but reality is different. Not everyone gets treated the same.
This particular case has a lot of conspiracy theories attached to it, one even linked the infamous Pizzagate to it.
With all the wasted time, effort, money and coverage one may start to think those conspiracies may not be too far-fetched.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Return to Celebrity Gossip