Thai cave rescue - all children rescued

Moderator: biscuits

Postby Wayne » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:23 pm

Thai cave rescue: Operation running 'smoothly'

The operation to free 12 boys and their coach from a cave in northern Thailand is running "smoothly", the head of the operation says.

At least four boys have been brought above ground, rescuers say, although local media have put it at six.

The mission has now been paused for 10 hours to allow oxygen levels in the cave to rise.

Rescuers decided to go ahead with the hazardous operation on Sunday because of fears of rising waters.

The next phase will begin on Monday morning, Chiang Rai Governor Narongsak Osottanakorn said.

Divers are guiding the 12 boys and their coach through darkness and submerged passageways towards the mouth of the Tham Luang cave system.

So far it has been moving much faster than officials had earlier predicted.

The group and their families had all given their agreement that they should be moved as soon as possible, said Mr Narongsak earlier.

A team of 90 expert divers - 40 from Thailand and 50 from overseas - has been working in the cave system.

The BBC's Dan Johnson, who is at the scene, said doctors went to assess the boys on Saturday and decided on a priority list, sending the weakest out first.

Getting to and from where the boys are has been an exhausting round trip even for the experienced divers.

The process includes a mixture of walking, wading, climbing and diving - all in complete darkness - along guide ropes already in place.

Wearing full-face masks, which are easier for novice divers than traditional respirators, each boy is being accompanied by two divers, who will also carry their air supply.

The toughest section is about halfway out - at a section called "T-Junction", which is so tight the divers have to take off their air tanks to get through.

Beyond that a cavern - called Chamber 3 - has been turned into a forward base for the divers. There, they can rest before making the last, easier walk out to the entrance. They are expecting to be taken straight to hospital in Chiang Rai town.

In an indication of quite how dangerous the journey will be, a former Thai navy diver died in the caves earlier this week. Saman Gunan was returning from a mission to provide the group with air tanks.

He lost consciousness and could not be revived. His colleagues have said they "will not let the sacrifice of our friend go to waste".

Why now?

Officials had originally thought the group might have to stay where they were until the rainy season ended - that could have meant months underground.

They had also been exploring whether they could drill down into the cave, as well as scouring the mountainside for another way in.

But with the rainy season just beginning, it has become clear that the flooding which originally trapped the boys will only get worse in the coming days.

Rescuers have been desperately pumping water out of the cave, and Mr Narongsak said on Sunday that water levels inside were at their lowest levels so far.

"There is no other day that we are more ready than today," said Mr Narongsak.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44757804
This has been international news now for the last few days.

Initially, it was thought that the boys might have to stay in the cave for months but there's been an unexpected break in the weather and now a rescue operation led by two British experts and with 90 divers supporting is underway.

So far, 4 boys have been rescued - there's now 8 left + their teacher.

Hoping for good news.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby menime123 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:48 pm

Hoping for the best, but I also read the kids can’t even swim.
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby Rihab » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:38 pm

‘Too narrow to wear scuba tanks‘ and ‘full climbing gear needed‘? How did the kids get down there in the first place and how did anyone think it‘d be a good idea? Glad they‘re being rescued now, but also smh.
Rihab
Legend

Postby Wayne » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:39 pm

Rihab wrote:‘Too narrow to wear scuba tanks‘ and ‘full climbing gear needed‘? How did the kids get down there in the first place and how did anyone think it‘d be a good idea? Glad they‘re being rescued now, but also smh.
Apparently, all an innocent mistake on the football coach's part - he apparently mistook it as a tourist destination or something according to the BBC.

I imagine the cave has then filled with water which has prevented them from getting back out.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Hugo » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:41 pm

I thought it had something to do with a ritual of sorts.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby abi » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:00 pm

Rihab wrote:How did the kids get down there in the first place and how did anyone think it‘d be a good idea?
Initially they were just having fun exploring the cave and stuff (idk if it's normal in your area but here in Asia, exploring caves could become a local attraction/recreation) but unexpectedly big rain happened, the water surface inside the cave increased and they basically got stucked inside.

The media over here in Asia has been following this and we're hoping all the best for them. <3
abi
Legend

Postby spiritboy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:09 pm

I hope they'll all be rescued safely. This will make a good film in the future.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby aRat » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:56 am

come thorugh daddy Elon Musk!
Dua Lipa - Rihanna - Kanye West - Madonna - Michael Jackson
aRat
Manager

Postby ferrero » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:29 pm

All 13 people have been rescued! :D :D
ferrero
Manager

Postby Colbie » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:20 pm

ferrero wrote:All 13 people have been rescued! :D :D
Great news! Glad they are all safe!
Colbie
Superstar

Postby Wayne » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:34 pm

Brilliant news!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Hugo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:38 pm

Awesome!!!

Might sound insensitive AF but this will make an awesome movie, kind of like 127 hours.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby menime123 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:03 pm

Hugo wrote:Awesome!!!

Might sound insensitive AF but this will make an awesome movie, kind of like 127 hours.
Nah. We already have the Mexican miner film.
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby Hugo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:21 pm

Well...

Thailand cave movie: Hollywood producers already on the scene

“THIS will make a great movie some day.”

It’s a sentiment that’s echoed around the globe as millions of people watch on and champion the ongoing rescue of 12 young boys and their soccer coach stuck in a Thailand cave, in the country’s north.

But for some Hollywood producers, there’s no time to waste, and “some day” may as well be now.

A US film crew has already arrived at the foothills of the Tham Luang mountain cave system in Chiang Rai province as one of the world’s most daring rescue operations enters its third day. Divers are expected to today attempt to bring 25-year-old coach Ekkapol “Aek” Chantawong and the remaining four boys — aged 11 to 16 — to safety in a dangerous and highly complex operation.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/m ... 93490e14ab
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby aRat » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:32 pm

Daddy Elon did that!
Dua Lipa - Rihanna - Kanye West - Madonna - Michael Jackson
aRat
Manager

Postby LittleLinda » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:42 pm

menime123 wrote:
Hugo wrote:Awesome!!!

Nah. We already have the Mexican miner film.
I bet you 20 bucks that some years down the line Hollywood will turn this into a movie. If some of the kids would've died, it would have been too grim, but since "only" one of the scuba divers heroically lost his life in the second act (so to speak), it's perfect Hollywood formula.

My thoughts go out to that scuba diver. I'm very glad everyone else could be saved.

@ Rihab: They were caving, which is perfectly normal in many countries (done it myself quite a few times). Of course you have to be careful, because a lot of caves are prone to flash flooding, which is precisely what happened there. The reason they went so far into the cave (further than anyone has ever gone) is because they fled from the rising water levels and tried to find some spot that was (relatively) safe, subsequently being pushed further and further in. As for the wall that required climbing gear on the way out: They never originally intended to go down there, they were forced to move further into the cave by the water and as you can imagine it's typically a lot easier to get down from a steep rock than to get back up again. Hell, even this I experienced myself just last year while caving in New Zealand: It was a "one-way cave", which you can enter at one side and exit on the other. Had to turn back because the last third of the cave turned out to be inaccessible at the time and all of a sudden I found that getting back up a certain rock formation was a lot more difficult than expected. It only went up to my upper chest, but the surface was so incredibly slippery and there were no crevices to hold on to, so hurling myself back up without climbing gear was a bit tricky.

I can only advise everyone: If you ever go caving (regardless of whether you go alone or in a group): Be well-prepared! Gather all information available about the cave in advance, take suitable equipment (spare batteries for your flashlights are an absolute MUST, imho), tell reliable people where you are going and when you intend to come back, pay VERY close attention to weather forecasts - and if there's even the slightest chance of strong rain, seriously consider to cancel your plans.
Some might think that this group was reckless, but situations like these can happen very easily and quickly.
LittleLinda
Manager

Postby spiritboy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:47 pm

I would never go caving. It would be too scary for me.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Hugo » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:52 pm

spiritboy wrote:I would never go caving. It would be too scary for me.
+ bats.

They're cute, but NASTY and can carry all sorts of virus and bacteria.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby spiritboy » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:26 pm

Hugo wrote:
spiritboy wrote:I would never go caving. It would be too scary for me.
+ bats.

They're cute, but NASTY and can carry all sorts of virus and bacteria.
They're basically flying rats. :lol:
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Serby » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:39 am

That would be pigeons. :lol:
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby DnBLover » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:11 am

I hate how this went so viral with western media yet all big catastrophes elsewhere involving blown up or drowned kids are ignored
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby Wayne » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:03 am

Each child lost over 4 lbs whilst in the cave and they survived by drinking water dripping from the cave.

Really amazing story.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Serby » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:06 pm

DnBLover wrote:I hate how this went so viral with western media yet all big catastrophes elsewhere involving blown up or drowned kids are ignored
Yup.

I'm glad they all made it, but it was everywhere and didn't think it's that 'special' of a story for whole world to follow (I know I sound super bad but that's not my intention). Interesting to see what media picks up and how sth can become global news when we want it.
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby MusicRecords » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:42 am

I was following this and so glad they all made it out! Quite amazing actually, wasn’t there a point earlier where they basically said they’d give up the search because it seemed impossible? Amazing how they were found
Follow me on Instagram

The ONLY user to have a thread beat Mariah on the Ukmix Hot 100

#KING
MusicRecords
HRH King Nick III

Return to World News & Politics