LGBT+ News: Australia Votes YES!

Moderator: biscuits

Postby Wayne » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:26 pm

REMEMBERING MARSHA P. JOHNSON, THE "ROSA PARKS" OF THE LGBTQ MOVEMENT

Marsha P. Johnson, trans icon and revolutionary figure in the movement for the liberation of all LGBTQ people, was found dead in the Hudson River on this day twenty-five years ago. Her legacy as the "Rosa Parks" of the LGBTQ rights movement lives on today, and has recently been reexamined in a Netflix-acquired documentary of her life and death.

Raised in New Jersey by a disapproving mother, Johnson moved New York City in the early 1960s to become "the biggest drag queen in the world" and quickly became a fixture in the vibrant queer scene of Greenwich Village. A sex worker and performer, Johnson was a regular at the Stonewall Inn and called herself one of the "Stonewall Girls."

It's been long rumored that Johnson helped start the Stonewall uprising on June 28, 1969, with people claiming to this day that she threw the first brick that shattered the bar's windows. Throughout her life Johnson denied this urban legend, saying that she didn't arrive at the bar until the riot was well underway at 2:00am, but it's a testament to her lasting influence that so many people still believe it.

Johnson joined the Gay Liberation Front in 1970 and later linked up with close friend Sylvia Ramirez, another trans woman of color, to create the Street Transvestite Action Revolutionaries (S.T.A.R.), a gay, gender non-conforming and transgender activist organization. The two also founded S.T.A.R. House, the first shelter for gay and trans youth in 1972, providing food, clothing, housing and advice to the kids who came through their doors. They were a visible presence at liberation marches and pride rallies, fighting for the inclusion of trans people and draq queens in the movement and battling the respectability politics of the emerging gay mainstream.

More than simply an activist, Johnson was a cultural icon. She was photographed by Andy Warhol in 1974 for a series on draq queens, was a member of J. Camicias' performance troupe Hot Peaches, and famously told a judge when asked what the 'P' in her name stood for to "pay it no mind."

Johnson continued her activism into the 1980s as a respected organizer with ACT UP, the AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power. Ten days before her body was found in 1992, Johnson revealed in an interview (seen in the documentary below) that she was HIV positive.

Shortly after the 1992 pride march, Johnson's body was found floating in the Hudson River. Police quickly ruled her death a suicide, and though Johnson had a history of mental illness, her close friends were adamant that she was not suicidal. In 2012, trans activist Mariah Lopez successfully lobbied for the NYPD to reopen Johnson's case and examine it as a possible homicide. As this important Twitter thread points out, the consistently disproportionate rate of violence against black trans women makes Johnson's murder particularly suspect. (As GLAAD notes, 15 transgender women of color have been killed in America in 2017 alone).

A new documentary by filmmaker David France, "The Death and Life of Marsha P. Johnson," examines Johnson's murder and activist Victoria Cruz's efforts to solve it, as part of a larger discussion about the challenges that still face the transgender community. The film premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival and was recently acquired by Netflix.

"Almost single-handedly, Marsha P. Johnson and her best friend Sylvia Rivera touched off a revolution in the way we talk about gender today," France told Variety. "Their names should be household words. But Marsha's life was cut tragically short and Sylvia died shortly thereafter, the victim of a broken heart. Getting to know their story through the investigation undertaken by Victoria Cruz, a seminal activist in her own right, has been one of the great honors of my career."

http://www.papermag.com/marsha-p-johnso ... 57317.html
Amazing story, I only came across her a couple of years ago when reading up a bit more on Harvey Milk (my hero) and I think it's amazing how much she contributed to the LGBT rights movement.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Carbon » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:45 pm

didn't know about her, glad to have learned this

(As GLAAD notes, 15 transgender women of color have been killed in America in 2017 alone).
absolutely horrible!
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby ArmyOfMe » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:16 pm

Marsha is a total icon, I'm glad history is giving her the recognition that she deserves.
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby Fan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:59 pm

I'm so excited for Marsha's documentary- I'm sure it will be a great watch and she deserves all the attention. Such an important person for the LGBTQ community.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:41 am

A queen. A bad bitch.
SEE.sza.RUN
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:59 am

I've seen Marsha's story making the rounds on Twitter, and I hope the Netflix documentary further augments her legacy among the 'millennial' LGBT+ community. She was a true legend.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Crackiswack » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:02 am

Never heard of her, but its great I know her now
Please Stop the Music
Crackiswack
Manager

Postby Hugo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:32 pm

So a very famous doctor in Portugal (Gentil Martins) has just said he thinks homosexuality is an abnormality and that Ronaldo is immoral and deplorable for having children with no mother.

http://www.jn.pt/pessoas/in/interior/me ... 39588.html

Pretty sad if you ask me and dangerous that a person with such status could say stuff like that. A formal complaint has been sent to Ordem dos Médicos, the institution that regulates Medicine practice in Portugal.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Serby » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:55 pm

Old fart.
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby Wayne » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:05 pm

Aside from being homophobic, it's actually quite sexist to presume that only women (mothers) can provide a certain type of care.

And not to mention dangerous for a Dr to think like that.
Wayne
Administrator

Postby flopho » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:09 pm

welp, born in 1930, the problem is going to solve itself soon Image
Shame on me for changing...no, shame on you for staying the same
flopho
Legend

Postby Hugo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:15 pm

flopho wrote:welp, born in 1930, the problem is going to solve itself soon Image
The comments on Facebook are horrific. You'd think that a country that has embraced same-sex marriage and adoption by same-sex couples would be a little more open minded, but no. I've lost count of the comments saying he's entitled to his opinion and they're happy someone is going against the gay lobby, what the **** is that supposed to mean anyway?

I've been posting a few comments on how dangerous it is for children and teenagers to hear an "opinion" like that from someone so highly respected, that they're an abnormality. And what is even the purpose of his comment? Does he think gay people should follow some sort of therapy to "normalize" themselves?

I'm very angry atm.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Guru » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:26 pm

MOSCOW (AP) — Chechnya's strongman leader has harshly denounced claims that his southern Russian republic has tortured and even killed gay men, denying that there even are any homosexual men in his region.

Kremlin-backed Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov has faced wide international criticism since a Russian newspaper reported this spring that his security forces had detained some 100 gay men, torturing or killing some of them.

"This is nonsense. We don't have those kinds of people here. We don't have any gays. If there are any, take them to Canada," Kadyrov says in an interview with HBO Real Sports cable television show. HBO released excerpts of the June 30 interview on Friday.

Kadyrov also called those making the allegations "devils."

"God damn them for what they are accusing us of," he said.

Chechnya, a predominantly Muslim region in southern Russia, was devastated by two wars between separatists and Russian forces in the past quarter-century. Kadyrov, a former rebel who switched his loyalties to Moscow, has been the dominant figure there since the 2004 assassination of his president father, Akhmad Kadyrov.

Kadyrov's security forces have been widely accused of extensive human-rights abuses including abductions and killings in Chechnya. A former officer of his security forces has been convicted of the 2015 assassination of Russian opposition leader Boris Nemtsov.

He has strongly promoted Chechnya's Islamic culture, including opening what is claimed to be Europe's largest mosque in the capital, Grozny. An avid boxer, he has promoted mixed martial arts and other fighting sports in the republic. HBO says its show, which airs on Tuesday, examines Kadyrov's sports initiatives.

In the interview excerpts, Kadyrov claimed the United States "is conducting an anti-Russian policy against the country's leadership" but then dismisses the country.

"America is not really a strong enough state for us to regard it as an enemy of Russia. We have a strong government and are a nuclear state. Even if our government were completely destroyed, our nuclear missiles would be automatically deployed," he said.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/chechen-lead ... 51465.html
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Fan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:21 pm

'We don't have those kinds of people here' :roll: That's such a stupid and nasty comment. Why is HBO even giving people like him a platform?
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Crackiswack » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:31 pm

He says even worse things. He said that if there were gays there, send them to Canada to purify the blood of Chechyna.

A bit later he said that Russia would screw America from behind. Kinda gay to me :lol:
Please Stop the Music
Crackiswack
Manager

Postby CrazyCrazy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:03 pm

Fan wrote:'We don't have those kinds of people here' :roll: That's such a stupid and nasty comment. Why is HBO even giving people like him a platform?
Not stupid or nasty, it's downright scary, that line says everything we need to know about what is happening there.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby MarlonBS » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:07 pm

What about Japan? Is gay marriage close to happen?
MarlonBS
Personal Assistant

Postby Hugo » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:31 pm

Prime Minister: The Church should 'reflect' on allowing gay couples to marry

The Church of England should "reflect" on allowing same-sex couples to marry in church, the Prime Minister has said.

Theresa May also said her father, the Reverend Hubert Brasier, would have supported church blessings for gay couples.

In an interview for radio station LBC, the Prime Minister said she believed her father "very much valued the importance of relationships of people affirming those relationships and of seeing stability in relationships and people able to be together with people that they love".

Asked whether she herself would like to see the law "evolve" she said it "had to be a matter for the Church", adding: "the Church of England has itself come a distance in terms of looking at these issues, and obviously they will want to reflect as attitudes will generally change as society changes."

Church of England priests are currently not allowed to marry gay couples in church or bless same-sex marriages.

The issue has split the church as progressives push for greater inclusion of gay people and conservative evangelicals resist the changes.

In February the Church of England synod rejected a report produced by bishops which called for a "culture of welcome and support" for gay Christians but did not propose that they should be able to marry in church. A new teaching document on sexuality is due by 2020.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07 ... les-marry/
:o
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Wayne » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:46 am

Honey G comes out as gay

http://www.digitalspy.com/showbiz/the-x ... a-lesbian/

Also, she has a new single out next week - not saying the two are linked. Happy for her - we now know what G must stand for!
Wayne
Administrator

Postby RayRay » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:55 pm

Little personal news:

21 years ago yesterday, my now husband asked me on a date. He came to my place that night with a red rose.
It wasn't long before I moved in and within the year we got married.
He was my first boyfriend and we're still together. :D
RayRay
Superstar

Postby toni_pest » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:36 pm

:') congrats
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:31 am

RayRay wrote:Little personal news:

21 years ago yesterday, my now husband asked me on a date. He came to my place that night with a red rose.
It wasn't long before I moved in and within the year we got married.
He was my first boyfriend and we're still together. :D
Aw, this is lovely to read, especially as gay men have so few examples of long-lasting relationships to look to.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Carbon » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:22 am

toni_pest wrote::') congrats
+1

Very movie-like and sweet :D
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby RayRay » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:46 am

Thank you.

It is possible, so keep on looking for Mr. Right if you haven't found him yet. I didn't even look for him as I was too afraid to come out of the closet. But he was right there in front of me at work. But if he hadn't asked me, I'd maybe still locked in the closet. :D :D
RayRay
Superstar

Postby Nippian93 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:50 am

^^^ Congrats :)
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Return to World News & Politics