LGBT+ News: Australia Votes YES!

Moderator: biscuits

Postby Wayne » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:29 pm

Is it safe to be gay in the UK?

Last year in the UK, hate crimes against LGBT people increased by 147%.

One in four LGBT people has experienced violent hate crime.

A BBC Two documentary looked at whether it's safe to be gay in the UK and it is one of the most heartbreakingly real documentaries I've watched in a long time. Watch one of the stories here:

https://www.facebook.com/BBCSouthEastTo ... nref=story
Wayne
Administrator

Postby RayRay » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:38 pm

^ I've seen it too. So sad. :(
RayRay
Superstar

Postby RayRay » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:49 pm

I used to have the rainbow flag as "like" after liking the LGBTQ@Facebook page, but now it's gone.
Anyone else noticed this too?
RayRay
Superstar

Postby theArmy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:56 pm

wasn't that only during LGBT month for people in countries with lgbt rights...? Balkans didn't have that option for example
LITTLE CHIX - a new pop sensation on the horizon!
theArmy
Legend

Postby Bojan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:01 pm

The whole documentary is here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... -in-the-uk

Though, you'll need to use some VPN service if you're living outside the UK.

It's sad, but I'm afraid that fight for equality will never end. We will have relatively good periods, as we already had throughout history, and we will have bad periods. I even think that we are lucky to live here and now, because the future could be even worse.

theArmy wrote:wasn't that only during LGBT month for people in countries with lgbt rights...? Balkans didn't have that option for example
Where are you from? I'm from Serbia and I had it.
And yes, it was temporary. :-?
Bojan
Manager

Postby Serby » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:49 pm

I never had it in Austria? :lol:
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby theArmy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:50 pm

oops, my bad. You had to like a page to get it
LITTLE CHIX - a new pop sensation on the horizon!
theArmy
Legend

Postby Bojan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:24 pm

Stockholm Pride today.

Bojan
Manager

Postby Serby » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:01 pm

Oh, wow.
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby RayRay » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:11 pm

Never been to a Pride. I've been wanting to go to the one in Amsterdam. Maybe next year.
RayRay
Superstar

Postby Fan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:46 am

What happened in Stockholm? :o

I attended the Pride in Amsterdam yesterday and was for the first time part of the Parade on one of the main boats, it was an absolute amazing experience. So, so many happy and cheerful people.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby Affillate » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:31 am

Has everyone seen this short film, its going a little viral on youtube with lots of reaction videos.

Affillate
Manager

Postby maroon » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:01 pm

Fan wrote:What happened in Stockholm? :o

I attended the Pride in Amsterdam yesterday and was for the first time part of the Parade on one of the main boats, it was an absolute amazing experience. So, so many happy and cheerful people.
Which boat were you on?
I'm also curious about what happened in Stockholm.
maroon
Superstar

Location: Amsterdam (NL) / Gijón (ES) / Rzeszów (PL) / Brno (CZ) / Cork (IE)

Postby Fan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:26 pm

maroon wrote:
Fan wrote:What happened in Stockholm? :o

Which boat were you on?
I'm also curious about what happened in Stockholm.
I was on boat #62- the one from cafe 't Achterom :) Did you attend the Pride as well?

I read there were a bunch of neo-nazis who wanted to interupe the Pride in Stockholm :-?
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby maroon » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:04 pm

Oh, nice. I'm now living about 5 minutes walking distance from Prinsengracht so of course I was there, besides a colleague from my work was dancing on one of the boats (but a different one, 69), that's why I was asking.
maroon
Superstar

Location: Amsterdam (NL) / Gijón (ES) / Rzeszów (PL) / Brno (CZ) / Cork (IE)

Postby Bojan » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:39 pm

Affillate wrote:Has everyone seen this short film, its going a little viral on youtube with lots of reaction videos.

It's really cute. But the comment with by far most likes is terrible and unfortunate.
Bojan
Manager

Postby Wayne » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:45 pm

:cry:
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Wayne » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:28 pm

Gay man scalded with boiling water was told ‘this should clean away the AIDS,’ mum says

A mum has spoken of her shock and fury after a man allegedly hit her gay son with a metal bar and threw a boiling cup of water over him, telling him it should clean away the AIDS.

The alleged incident on the 21-year-old man took place at McDonald’s on Grand Parade on Bank Holiday Monday, in full view of families and their young children.

Police arrested a 56-year-old man on suspicion of assault.

He has now been released pending further enquiries.

The mum, who asked to remain anonymous, told the Skegness Standard: “The man had struck my son 15 or 16 times with what we thought was a walking stick but CCTV has shown it to be a metal bar.

“He also took a boiling hot cup and threw it over him shouting ‘this should clean away the AIDS’.

“As well as the marks on my son’s back from the bar and burns, he has been mentally scarred by the incident.”

The mum added that she was so proud of her son when he came out as gay.

She added: “He was just beginning to feel good about life – like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders – and now this has happened. It has set him right back.

“He’s afraid to go out. The whole family is in shock.”

http://lincolnshirereporter.co.uk/2017/ ... -mum-says/
Wayne
Administrator

Postby Crackiswack » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:26 am

Wayne wrote:Image

:cry:
This pretty much sums it.
Please Stop the Music
Crackiswack
Manager

Postby Serby » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:56 am

I assure you that pic does zero to someone who thinks of homosexuality as a dissease. :lol:
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:23 am

Regarding the boiling water story, what the hell was everyone else doing while this was happening? :-?

These stories really infuriate me because the perpetrators usually get off with a slap on the wrist. There's hardly ever any real justice.

A few days ago, a well-known gay man was murdered in Jamaica, and I am 150% sure that nothing serious will happen to his murderer. Maybe he'll get let off with community service, if that. And, yes, all this in 2017. Just ridiculous. :x
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Crackiswack » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:36 am

Serby wrote:I assure you that pic does zero to someone who thinks of homosexuality as a dissease. :lol:
Yeah, the truth couldn't care less of their feelings.

People piss me tf off (not you), there is always going to be someone to degrade and oppress. Shitheads
Please Stop the Music
Crackiswack
Manager

Postby Crackiswack » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:36 am

I'm so pissed, I want to rant but I don't even know where to begin.
Please Stop the Music
Crackiswack
Manager

Postby Crackiswack » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:51 am

NothingFails wrote:I don't get why Russia's leader is so obsessed against gay people. America has always been ass-backwards when it comes to gay rights because of the stronghold religion has, but even America comes off looking like freaking Xanadu or something next to Russia that hates gays so much that it will do anything but put them in concentration camps.
This comment hasn't aged well. . .
Please Stop the Music
Crackiswack
Manager

Postby Wayne » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:57 pm

Prominent LGBT+ activist shot dead in San Francisco

A well known LGBT+ activist has been shot dead in San Francisco.

Anthony Torres, also known by his gender-nonconforming drag ego “Bubbles”, was a DJ, artist and activist for the local LGBT+ community.

Torres specifically focussed on trans rights and often performed drag.

The 44-year-old was shot in the early hours of Saturday morning at 2.50am.

A suspect has not yet been identified police but they are not treating the incident as a hate crime.

Torres was playing music in a venue and some witnesses claimed that the shooter came from the New Century Strip Club opposite where Torres was playing.

They say that the shooter approached Torres and they began arguing before he was shot.

Friends and family of Torres told ABC that Torres was “great” and that they were devastated by the loss.

John Silverman said of the activist: “He would always wear drag. I would never talk to him, but I loved him he was great.

“He brought a lot of energy to the neighborhood. This is an exciting block so he brought the excitement, but this is terrible.”

Jim Reilly, another close friend and Torres lawyer urged for police to investigate thoroughly.

“People are just upset that Bubbles, who was somebody who was loved for his activism, for his art, and for how giving of a person he was would be targeted in a fashion of this and gunned down in these streets in the Tenderloin, which is a neighborhood that’s supposed to be accepting and supportive of transgender individuals,” Reilly said.

An initial report from San Francisco’s police department said that only one homicide was committed over the weekend of a 30-year-old female.

A police spokesman could not confirm the identity of the victim or say why the age and sex did not fit with Torres.

Speaking to the San Francisco Chronicle about Bubbles, Torres said that he thrived in the city.

“In San Francisco you can get away with doing this. It’s an escape from every mundane day, and San Francisco allows me to do that.
“Bubbles is like a toy, in a way.”

Traci Houston was a close friend of Torres and said that he had been considering setting out on a new journey in his life.

“He was a gay man who loved being the personality Bubbles,” Huston told SF GATE. “He started out looking for love, settled for fame.”

Source: Pink News
Wayne
Administrator

Return to World News & Politics