is dark and beautiful. I don't normally go in for intros but this has a pretty wonderful aura.
There's something retro about Real
- not sure if it's the structure [which is odd] or the vocal delivery - love the last 40 seconds or so.
I have few words that can describe how much I love Shine
- I think it's my favourite song of the year, it's outstanding. Take Shelter
sounds like a hybrid of Disclosure/The Weeknd/what I have come to expect of Y&Y - it's pretty addictive, a quality song.
I've loved Worship since the day I heard it.
What a revelation Eyes Shut
is - wasn't hugely keen on it before, but I pretty much love it now for some reason. This will be a single eventually, I think this is something he could nail in a live setting. Ties
has a killer beat, I love the middle 8.
They already have a modern-classic with King
- speaks for itself. Amazing song.
I really love Desire
I think Gold
had a promising start and I love the verses - you can really hear the qualities in Olly's vocals. However, I'm not sold on the chorus. First blip.
I never expected something like Without
- absolutely amazing. I'm a sucker for a good ballad, and this ticks all the right boxes. Border
- running out of superlatives now. this is amazing. Memo
I thought 1977
was forgettable. I Want To Love
will quickly become annoying I think, but at the moment - I love it.
Overall, I wanted to love this and I do; I suppose it shouldn't be too surprising given the quality of what I'd already heard, but not only is Olly a great vocalist, the group are immense producers and writers. Some of these songs are absolute poetry. One of my favourite [Electro] pop albums in a long time.
Highlights: Shine, Without, King, Worship, Real, Eyes Shut