Steps - Tears on the Dancefloor

Moderators: Spartan, urbanmusik

Postby menime123 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:39 pm

#1 iTunes.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby Hype » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Totally rooting for this to go uk number one next week
CALL ME CALICE, CALL ME COLD. YOU'RE ITALIC, I'M IN BOLD.
Hype
Legend

Postby Airwrecka » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:28 pm

Story Of A Heart is great!!
❄ The brightest flame casts the darkest shadow ❄
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby oaknuys » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:41 pm

menime123 wrote:#1 iTunes.
YES YES YES
Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting :)
oaknuys
Manager

Postby oaknuys » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:42 pm

Airwrecka wrote:Story Of A Heart is great!!
Glad that you liked it too!
That for is the absolute highlight of the album.

Cant wait to blast this album on my car's stereo lol
Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting :)
oaknuys
Manager

Postby Airwrecka » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Just listened to the album in full, and it's a mixed bag. It starts off really strong then dips a bit. As menime said, it feels overproduced. It could have done with an amazing power ballad from Claire midway through the track listing. The remixes are rather redundant.
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby oaknuys » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:15 pm

Airwrecka wrote:Just listened to the album in full, and it's a mixed bag. It starts off really strong then dips a bit. As menime said, it feels overproduced. It could have done with an amazing power ballad from Claire midway through the track listing. The remixes are rather redundant.
Its Firefly and Space between Us's fault.
Those are the only fillers.
oaknuys
Manager

Postby AussiePopStar8 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:30 pm

Ok I've had multiple listens I'm ready to comment....

HOW BLOODY STEPS IS THIS ALBUM?!?!?
It's everything I thought a Steps album would and should sound like in 2017

1. "Scared of the Dark" - The more I listen to this the better it gets. It's a monster, so dramatic and unashamed pop which is rare in the charts these days but it definitely holds it's own amongst their back catalogue and is an instant classic

2. "You Make Me Hole" - Is definitely the most now sounding tracks on the album and prove that they can hold their own in the modern pop world.
It's a mix of Rihanna's "We Found Love" bred with Cheryl's "Call My Name" put through a Steps filter.

3. "Story of a Heart" - Simply gorgeous! Steps always sound fantastic working with ABBA-esque tunes and this is just as beautiful as "I Know Him So Well". It's a pity the boys couldn't feature a little more but the ladies well and truly kill it. Love the beat drop off in the chorus repeats.Apparently the 2nd single

4. "Happy" - Before I even realised it I was bopping to this track. Disco-tastic and drama filled in a way that only this group can deliver. I like their darker vibed tracks and they don't disappoint.

5. "No More Tears On The Dancefloor" - I can't help but feel the production is a little light on this track and could do with a little more grunt. The highlight is Lee. Liberate those "bloke-als" mate. So happy he's been given a chance to prove he's just as good as, if not better than, H. The ladies feature enough that they aren't missed.

6. "Firefly" - Probably my least favourite of the new tracks. It may be a grower but it hasn't reached out and grabbed me like other tracks,

7. "Space Between Us" - The sound is very "Clocks" but I feel that, again, production lets this down a bit in the chorus. Lee sounding fantastic again and that definitely gives me a smile knowing the struggle he's had.

8. "Glitter & Gold" - Same boat as "Firefly" for me. Nothing overly amazing but again it could grow.

9. "Neon Blue" - Ok am I the only one that got a little emotional on this one? It's like a call to arms to the fanbase and the band themselves to come out of hibernation and the mundanity of life, get back on the dancefloor forgive, forget and celebrate. Very nostalgic and an instant Steps classic. I can't imagine how awesome this will sound in an arena. Brilliant vocal share. One of the best on the album.

10. "I Will Love Again" - Claire well and truly slays this and it's a pretty epic finish to the album but the fade out at the end is a bit of a let down as I would've loved a dramatic climax to this awesome collection of tunes. If it was my choice I would swap the last 2 tracks around and end on a thankyou to the fans.

Not really a fan of remixes so don't really have any comment on them though I would prefer 2 more original tracks in their place they don't really ruin the album.

You can tell a lot of time and thought have gone into this collection and that they really did listen to what their fans want.
That's the strength of Steps is that they know their brand and they deliver it well and these tunes will easily slot in with the ones we know and love whilst not sounding throwback or gimmicky.
There's been much speculation about further new music and I think it's a great sign that people are that hungry they want more and with the current #1 placing on iTunes we may indeed get more Steps in our future but even if this ends up just being a celebratory effort for the fans it is better than we ever could have expected.
So many returning bands/groups tarnish their legacy with weak, trend chasing, new material but Steps have taken their time and done it the right way proving that even though they have a pop legacy of 20 years they can easily slip back in and find a place in the current day.

So, so, so, so, sooooooooo happy and cannot wait to make the trip over from Australia to "Party on the Dancefloor" with one of the best pop groups in music history.
Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet...
AussiePopStar8
Manager

Postby menime123 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:31 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if this was re-released towards the tour with more new songs tbh. Would be good promo for the tour and a new (unheard) single will give us a chance to see if the success of SOTD is a one off.
Girls Aloud: Only 5 years until their 20th anniversary reunion tour! (and only 5 years until I can change my signature...)
menime123
Superstar

Postby Fan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:28 pm

menime123 wrote:#1 iTunes.
Get those sales <3

I just finished this record for the first time and I'm so happy. It is exactly what I wanted a Steps record to sound like in 2017, it's pop heaven. Scared Of The Dark was the perfect lead single, but I'm obsessed with Story Of A Heart at the moment. Glitter & Gold, Neon Blue and I Will Love Again are among my highlights as well.
i wanna see you on your knees, wanna see you begging
Fan
Legend

Postby oaknuys » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:46 pm

Funnily enough no internet reviews mentioned the fact I Will Love Again happens to be Lara Fabian's cover.
oaknuys
Manager

Postby menime123 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:35 pm

'Happy' might have my favourite Steps lyric of all time :lol:

Now it's late
But it's morning
Damn
I can't even keep track of time
menime123
Superstar

Postby xBFG » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:51 pm

menime123 wrote:
xBFG wrote:
menime123 wrote:Their itunes pricing is silly... if you buy the individual tracks it's actually cheaper than buying the album (you just don't get those pointless remixes on the end).
Really ? 10 song for 99p is ? Let me guess. 9.99 and price of the album is 9.99 for 10 plus 2 remixes which are very good
Mate, I can do maths - go check the pricing if you don't believe me :lol:
9.90 hahahaha

Plus I didn't know Scared is for 59p

My bad sorry xD
xBFG
Roadie

Postby Airwrecka » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:43 pm

I got to say this gets better with repeat listens. :o

The best thing about this album is it actually adds value to their catalogue, rather than just milking off the past.

I never ever thought we'd have a full, proper studio album from Steps again. Nostalgia. :cry:
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby Airwrecka » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:45 pm

oaknuys wrote:
Airwrecka wrote:Just listened to the album in full, and it's a mixed bag. It starts off really strong then dips a bit. As menime said, it feels overproduced. It could have done with an amazing power ballad from Claire midway through the track listing. The remixes are rather redundant.
Its Firefly and Space between Us's fault.
Those are the only fillers.
Those two have really grown on me now. :)
Airwrecka
Ace Reject

Postby menime123 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:51 pm

I seriously wish they had gone this direction back in 2012 when they first reformed - based the amount of nostalgia around this release I bet it would have been bigger in 2012.
menime123
Superstar

Postby Belgo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:21 am

Such a shame the album wasn't physically released here in Belgium!

They seem to focus only on the UK & Ireland, whereas the iTunes sales show there's a demand in other countries as well. :(
Belgo
Manager

Postby Thriller » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:38 am

menime123 wrote:I seriously wish they had gone this direction back in 2012 when they first reformed - based the amount of nostalgia around this release I bet it would have been bigger in 2012.
In terms of sales yes, but only because sales were a lot healthier then, however in terms of anticipation and exposure I think now is the biggest they've been since 2001!

The album is spot on - Happy and I Will Love Again are my favourites of the ones I hadn't heard and I'm loving You Make Me Whole more with every listen. Story Of A Heart is the epitome of ABBA and Steps.

So good to have them firmly back and with such strong material!
Thriller

Postby oaknuys » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:23 am

What are the predictions for their first week charting positions? I'm seriously anxious.

Btw... is there gonna be any more performances in the uk to boost the sales?
oaknuys
Manager

Postby menime123 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:24 am

Back in 2011 we didn't have streaming on the charts - if they got to #7 on the sales chart in 2017, I think they could have beaten this back then - I mean their greatest hits went to #1 then too, so it was a misssed opportunity not to find an original song and promote the single and album together.

Who knows what that might have lead to? Certainly not a silly Christmas album no one wanted :lol:

But yes, there's a huge hype around them now but I believe that this is because it's new, original music. It really helps that they're so into doing it too - I enjoy watching popstars wants to be actual POP stars!

Now to put the album on, grab my marigolds and clean the bathroom :lol:
menime123
Superstar

Postby menime123 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:24 am

oaknuys wrote:What are the predictions for their first week charting positions? I'm seriously anxious.

Btw... is there gonna be any more performances in the uk to boost the sales?
Another performance tonight - prime time BBC1.

As for charts, I think it's anyone's guess. Streaming will cock it up though.
menime123
Superstar

Postby xBFG » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:31 pm

#1 Uk mids hopefully they will hold to it if not again Ed ShiTan will take numbs one because of streaming rule
xBFG
Roadie

Postby oaknuys » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:24 pm

xBFG wrote:#1 Uk mids hopefully they will hold to it if not again Ed ShiTan will take numbs one because of streaming rule
Oh wow! Unbelievable news!

Ed is still aiming for the spot there? Thats enough ... let Steps have their moment to shine!
oaknuys
Manager

Postby HotPotato » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:35 pm

Does anybody else get #AgnethaShivers from the way Faye delivers the words 'the house by the lake' in Story? It's pitch perfect.
This ain't gon be easy
HotPotato
Manager

Postby oaknuys » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:51 pm

HotPotato wrote:Does anybody else get #AgnethaShivers from the way Faye delivers the words 'the house by the lake' in Story? It's pitch perfect.
Well, Steps did a fascinating job when it comes to this track, its infact easily my favorite Steps track along with the glorious I Know Him So Well, but as an exception no one can top Agnetha or Frida's vocals ever again, these two ladies just know how to lay vocals on a track like no other! Nevertheless the vocals and the harmonies on chorus of Story Of A Heart sounded alot as if Abba were literally on that part!
oaknuys
Manager

Return to Pop