Ok I've had multiple listens I'm ready to comment....
HOW BLOODY STEPS IS THIS ALBUM?!?!?
It's everything I thought a Steps album would and should sound like in 2017
1. "Scared of the Dark" - The more I listen to this the better it gets. It's a monster, so dramatic and unashamed pop which is rare in the charts these days but it definitely holds it's own amongst their back catalogue and is an instant classic
2. "You Make Me Hole" - Is definitely the most now sounding tracks on the album and prove that they can hold their own in the modern pop world.
It's a mix of Rihanna's "We Found Love" bred with Cheryl's "Call My Name" put through a Steps filter.
3. "Story of a Heart" - Simply gorgeous! Steps always sound fantastic working with ABBA-esque tunes and this is just as beautiful as "I Know Him So Well". It's a pity the boys couldn't feature a little more but the ladies well and truly kill it. Love the beat drop off in the chorus repeats.Apparently the 2nd single
4. "Happy" - Before I even realised it I was bopping to this track. Disco-tastic and drama filled in a way that only this group can deliver. I like their darker vibed tracks and they don't disappoint.
5. "No More Tears On The Dancefloor" - I can't help but feel the production is a little light on this track and could do with a little more grunt. The highlight is Lee. Liberate those "bloke-als" mate. So happy he's been given a chance to prove he's just as good as, if not better than, H. The ladies feature enough that they aren't missed.
6. "Firefly" - Probably my least favourite of the new tracks. It may be a grower but it hasn't reached out and grabbed me like other tracks,
7. "Space Between Us" - The sound is very "Clocks" but I feel that, again, production lets this down a bit in the chorus. Lee sounding fantastic again and that definitely gives me a smile knowing the struggle he's had.
8. "Glitter & Gold" - Same boat as "Firefly" for me. Nothing overly amazing but again it could grow.
9. "Neon Blue" - Ok am I the only one that got a little emotional on this one? It's like a call to arms to the fanbase and the band themselves to come out of hibernation and the mundanity of life, get back on the dancefloor forgive, forget and celebrate. Very nostalgic and an instant Steps classic. I can't imagine how awesome this will sound in an arena. Brilliant vocal share. One of the best on the album.
10. "I Will Love Again" - Claire well and truly slays this and it's a pretty epic finish to the album but the fade out at the end is a bit of a let down as I would've loved a dramatic climax to this awesome collection of tunes. If it was my choice I would swap the last 2 tracks around and end on a thankyou to the fans.
Not really a fan of remixes so don't really have any comment on them though I would prefer 2 more original tracks in their place they don't really ruin the album.
You can tell a lot of time and thought have gone into this collection and that they really did listen to what their fans want.
That's the strength of Steps is that they know their brand and they deliver it well and these tunes will easily slot in with the ones we know and love whilst not sounding throwback or gimmicky.
There's been much speculation about further new music and I think it's a great sign that people are that hungry they want more and with the current #1 placing on iTunes we may indeed get more Steps in our future but even if this ends up just being a celebratory effort for the fans it is better than we ever could have expected.
So many returning bands/groups tarnish their legacy with weak, trend chasing, new material but Steps have taken their time and done it the right way proving that even though they have a pop legacy of 20 years they can easily slip back in and find a place in the current day.
So, so, so, so, sooooooooo happy and cannot wait to make the trip over from Australia to "Party on the Dancefloor" with one of the best pop groups in music history.
Happy endings are just stories that haven't finished yet...