RAYE - The Line

Moderator: Spartan

Postby urbanmusik » Thu May 18, 2017 2:31 pm

After dropping one of the hottest singles of 2016 with I, U, Us, racking up feature hits with Jax Jones and Jonas Blue and co-writing singles for the likes of Charli XCX, M.O, Snakehips and Blonde, RAYE is finally ready to launch what will hopefully be her breakthrough solo single after coming third on the BBC's Sound of 2017 poll.

The track will be premiering on Mistajam's Radio 1 show later this evening and hitting iTunes come midnight.

urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby Hermes » Thu May 18, 2017 3:06 pm

Hope she takes off, I love her stuff ! 8-)
Hermes
Manager

Postby urbanmusik » Thu May 18, 2017 11:53 pm

Out now.

This is a banger. I love how RAYE can write such a great hook without sounding derivative. Plus she manages to bring a diverse selection of sounds together and make them seamlessly work.

From the tracks grime-pop underpinnings, to the Beyoncé inspired rap-singing, the slowed down R&B pre-chorus and the afrobeat influenced percussion, RAYE manages to make the tale of making the most of the night despite not getting into the club so interesting and fun.

This is British pop that represents the vibrancy and diversity of our culture, it's about time we had some more of that.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby westhammer » Fri May 19, 2017 1:48 pm

I love this, really good! Grab that solo smash
You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er
westhammer
Legend

Postby Thriller » Fri May 19, 2017 6:07 pm

This is very good but I almost wish it was more clubby like the Jax Jones track.
Thriller

Postby urbanmusik » Sun May 21, 2017 1:37 am

Great video, it's cool but fun and RAYE has bags of personality.

Why did it take so long for someone to write a banger about not getting into a club?

Charli XCX collaborator and sometime Stormzy video star RAYE is back with her own brand new single, and it's a bop. The Line is the south London singer-songwriter's take on prejudiced bouncers and uncomfortable dresses, complete with a springy beat and a shout-along chorus. It follows two stellar EPs, and her shimmering XCX-co-written single I, U, Us.

"Going out clubbing gives you a cold dose of the expectation society has on women," RAYE explained to The FADER. "To get into a club you have to kill yourself in heels, drown in makeup with a tight dress, maybe a bit of cleavage will help you out too. Me going as ‘myself,’ wearing what I wanted, didn’t cut it. You have to fit within the boundaries and expectations put on you. Watching all these casually dressed men waltzing past me in the queue really pissed me off, so I wrote this tune." Watch the video above.

FADER
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Return to Pop