Charli XCX | Boys

Moderators: Spartan, urbanmusik

Postby urbanmusik » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:40 am

This is going to be a massive UK hit :cry: .

It's #54 on Spotify already; it took 2 months for ATA to go top 50! 16m views on youtube too, while ATA is still only at 11m. Imagine how big this will be once radio start playing it.

C-Listed by Radio 1 today, and apparently they're promoting this all over instagram, grindr and snapchat. Millennial queen. Top 200 on US Spotify too, Charli's coming.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby MrRager » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:16 am

Wow hoping this is a hit in the UK at least!
#Pray4AL6
MrRager
Legend

Postby theArmy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:34 am

I can't see this becoming a hit, but I'd love that to happen for her!
LITTLE CHIX - a new pop sensation on the horizon!
theArmy
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:58 pm

They are even promoting this on Grindr haha.
I got a message saying 'No boys were harmed in this video' :lol:
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Blondini » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:02 am

So you can put the names to all of the faces.

42 OCC chart.

Radio 1 playlisted. Top 20 iTunes.

Surprisingly, according to Wikipedia, Charli didn't write this one. Cass Lowe and Lauv are involved. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boys_(Charli_XCX_song)

Jerker Hansson :lol: :lol: huh huh huh huh "he said jerker!"
Blondini
Big Time Dreamer

Postby Thriller » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:29 pm

I was busy thinkin' 'bout how awful this song is.
Thriller

Postby urbanmusik » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:00 pm

While Charli is sick in Japan getting injections in her butt lana stans are desperately leaking demos from her delayed album. In usual fashion they've been torturously stretching the leak over a number of weeks, but there are 7 songs out there after another five leaked a few minutes ago.

If ever there was an example of labels delaying albums not helping things, this is one. Charli started recording back in 2015 and had a meeting with Spotify in 2016 to play them her album. First it was May 2017, then September 2017 and now it's coming early 2018.

Performing unreleased megabops live and teasing her google drive filled with unreleased tracks (which got hacked :( ) probably didn't help things, but the label's way of releasing things clearly isn't working for Charli. It's unlikely that she's ever going to be Selena Gomez big, but she could do well on streaming with two 8-10 track mini albums each year supported by touring. That would satisfy Charli's need to always be creating new material before she gets bored with it and give the label the 3 or 4 singles a year they want, since it's clear singles are what Atlantic are interested in when it comes to pop acts.

Recently Charli has been getting annoyed with questions about the delay and claims it was never delayed, despite complaining about the delay tonnes of times before on twitter and getting visibly frustrated when interviewers would ask her about the album release date. I mean, Number 1 Angel was created out of frustration because the album was pushed back and she wanted to release something.

Charli's hinted at having to scrap material because of getting hacked (more likely because she's also bored of it by now), I hope she can turn things around and give us another mixtape from the scrapped material and the new album in 2018, though that seems unlikely. She's constantly recording for herself and others, so who knows what we'll end up with.

Also, please release the album you wrote and recorded in 24 hours Charles, even though you said we'd never hear it.

I just hope Boys and the next single work out well enough for us to get finished versions of songs in some form.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby urbanmusik » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:43 pm

Boys has been stuck in the dreaded 51-60 area of Spotify area for a while, Atlantic need to give Charles some Spotifyola so she can get that top 50 boost. It's #53 today and the closest streams wise the track has ever been to the top 50.

Has this been sent to radio in the US? It seems like her label are doing nothing in regards to radio deals etc and they don't really seem to care about Charlotte's songs leaking left and right.

Demos of the two tracks that were considered as follow ups to After the Afterparty leaked. Charli wanted to release Girls Night Out, which is basically Madonna's Holiday on steroids. It's brilliant. Can You Hear Me is an electronic power ballad with a spoken word middle 8 reminiscent of early 2000s British pop. I'm getting shades of the ballads off The Veronicas Hook Me Up album and Stay by HURTS from it. Peter Robinson (Popjustice creator) thought it should be the second single in an interview with Charli.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby Carbon » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:33 pm

I think she's become another Marina despite Boom Clap and Fancy... people are just not here for quality creative pop. Whatever she does it will do nothing on the charts. People need basic. That's why Ellie Goulding's career took off
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm

Carbon's 2017 Faves
- check it out!
Carbon
Legend

Postby LotsOfLove » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:06 pm

Carbon wrote:I think she's become another Marina despite Boom Clap and Fancy... people are just not here for quality creative pop. Whatever she does it will do nothing on the charts. People need basic. That's why Ellie Goulding's career took off
I feel the same.

She's too creative for this generation which is quite sad. I'm done with all these basic pop songs by Ellie and Taylor Swifts.
She may not always be lyrically good but there's that something in her songs, there's something interesting about her songs, she tries always hard to deliver something new and fresh. I really like her for that.
Number 1 Angel couldn't be done by anyone else but her. Not everyone has this capacity.
LotsOfLove
Manager

Postby SholasBoy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:07 am

I thought this was annoying at first, but it's actually grown on me
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby GetBack » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:04 am

It's grown on me as well, but let's face it, she's just another party girl music artist. Her career plateaued because she can't offer anything other than this kind of music which is being offered by everyone else today.
GetBack
Legend

Postby ArmyOfMe » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:20 am

GetBack wrote:It's grown on me as well, but let's face it, she's just another party girl music artist. Her career plateaued because she can't offer anything other than this kind of music which is being offered by everyone else today.
Look who's never listened to True Romance
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby heppolo » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:43 am

Biebz wrote:I've said this numerous times on this forum but HTBAHB is Marina's worst song and we all need to forget about it, please stop reminding me of its existence.
second most viewed of the whole Marina catalogue
"Boys" isn't really flopping, but it clearly underperformed a bit, deserved to go top 20 in the UK at least.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby urbanmusik » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:51 pm

ArmyOfMe wrote:
GetBack wrote:It's grown on me as well, but let's face it, she's just another party girl music artist. Her career plateaued because she can't offer anything other than this kind of music which is being offered by everyone else today.
Look who's never listened to True Romance
or Number 1 Angel.

Music doesn't have to be sober to be quality. Charli was always a little too cool and experimental to be a massive pop star. She's always moving onto the next sound from project to project (if her label would let her release them).

Autotune mic queen!

I wish they'd stop pushing Boys and move onto the next single. It had the strangest Spotify run, climbing extremely high initially and then stalling between 51-60 forever. If Warner had given Charli enough Spotifyola to go top 50 it would have taken off before radio dropped it and at least given Charli a top 20 (as opposed to the songs #31 peak).
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby urbanmusik » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:53 pm

Interview where Charli talks about her career, songwriting process, Hilary Duff's team rejecting Boom Clap for not being "cool enough" and taking the reigns of the Boys music video after reluctantly taking a song she didn't write (you just know Warner twisted her hand into releasing the song).
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby urbanmusik » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:45 pm

Get them Samsung coins Charlotte. Next single please though.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby JSparksFan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:26 am

JSparksFan wrote:I'm pleasantly surprised that Charli was able to get all these big names for the video. The song is a bit meh, though.
I suppose it was inevitable, but I adore this now. :lol:
"Love yourself so that love will not be a stranger when it comes, and it will come."

Akini's Top 100 Songs of 2017: [50-46]
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:56 am

I thought this was on its way to becoming the next big thing. :-?
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:08 am

Goldmoney wrote:I thought this was on its way to becoming the next big thing. :-?
the song was just too boring to take off
heppolo
Legend

Postby urbanmusik » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:30 pm

Chuck performed this today at Triple J after supporting Sia in AU/NZ. She'll be supporting Taylor Swift over there next year, I hope she brings Cupcakke with her to treat the Swifties to some lipgloss.

This is making a lot of year end lists. Get that critical acclaim.

#2 of 2017 from NME and The Guardian :o .
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby heppolo » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:33 pm

^Pointless.
The label tried its hand, but ultimately failed Charli XCX.
heppolo
Legend

Postby BehindBreakaway » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:16 am

This is proper bop and some of the boys are sexy as
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Personal Assistant

Postby urbanmusik » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:20 am

I'm dead :lol: :lol: :lol: . Relatable poor eye-sighted queen.

Scream at Charli using a vocoder because it fits her PC music aesthetic but also because live autotune allows her to carry on partying and drinking all the time and not taking care of her voice :lol: .
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby Goldmoney » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:48 am

heppolo wrote:^Pointless.
The label tried its hand, but ultimately failed Charli XCX.
At least I got a good avatar out of it. :lol:
Goldmoney
Legend

Return to Pop