Sam Smith - The Thrill of It All

Moderator: Spartan

Postby Biebz » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:05 pm

Thriller wrote:It makes Adele's 25 sound experimental.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
my reputation's never been worse so you must like me for me
Biebz
Best Damn Member

Postby MusicRecords » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:09 pm

Jesper wrote:
He doesn't really like the album cover
But it was entirely his choice to use that photo.

"I wanted to put a picture out of myself that I didn't actually like all that much, so that's what I’ve done. I think it's a bit odd. I don’t think it's my favourite angle," he said.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/article ... _and_music
But like...why? :lol: :lol:
MusicRecords
Superstar

Postby RayRay » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:39 pm

MusicRecords wrote:I think the real cover is okay but the pool photo right at the top of this article would make a muchhhhh better album cover! :o :D
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/arts/music/05sam-smith-new-album-the-thrill-of-it-all.html
Wow! I love this picture. :D
RayRay
Superstar

Postby arab » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:10 pm

Ok-ish album, but expected something more than ITLH 2.0 (which I adore). Pity there's no potential hit similar to Like I Can or I'm Not The Only One. If I had to pick 2 highlights, I think it would be (bar lead single) Say It First and No Peace.
Palace sounds like a very early demo of Not in That Way. I could not stop laughing while listening to HIM tbh. I get what he wants to say, but lyrics are so pathetic and too dramatic...
Everytime I listen to Say it First, I can hear that robotic voice saying "Say it, say it, say it, uncle, say it to me" :lol:
Was sure that bonus tracks would be better than the standard ones, but only Nothing Left For You sounds good. The rest...
arab
Coldplayer

Postby Hermes » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:24 pm

SalBoy wrote:Image
Omg, the draggings in here. You guys are so mean. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just came here for the shade, tbh.
Hermes
Manager

Postby Hype » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:29 am

I mean it wouldn't have mattered what he released you queens wouldn't be happy :roll:

How people can say they like the first album and not this one is ridiculous tbh. They are the same, there isn't much artistic growth, so if you like one surely you'll like the other? they're both of similar quality!

I agree with Loveguru. Everything.
CALL ME CALICE, CALL ME COLD. YOU'RE ITALIC, I'M IN BOLD.
Hype
Legend

Postby JJeffs » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:51 am

I think it's a solid album. Nothing new sonically, really, but lyrically I feel like he's still digging around and pulling out self truths.

And I totally get him choosing a photo he didn't love - it's imperfect, which is far more interesting than making him into something he's not.

I get the impression that he's not all that comfortable in his skin, but trying to own it. Some of the things he's said recently make me wonder if he's not setting himself up for a transition of some kind.
JJeffs
Personal Assistant

Postby Loveguru » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:42 am

westhammer wrote:
Loveguru wrote:You are all what's wrong with he world right now..... you all need to re-evaluate. F*cking gross comments in this thread and then whine about why the world is like X and Y

Most of you aren't even 'Pretty' as you think you are anyways
Oh Hun get over yourself and get down off that high horse! It's a music Internet forum, not the Nobel Peace Prize!

Anyway, album is finally here tomorrow! Burning is beautiful.
Oh sorry carry on being a the reason why suicide rates are high within the teen community with your unrealistic expectations and standards of what beauty is.

It's an internet forum yes but that does change the fact that you current have a significantly vile flaw that you actually need to work on for you to be a 'fruitful' and 'nice' member of the society. At this stage you are as bad as the KKK, racists and homophobes as you are spreading hate.

I shall stop replying to you on this matter as I have said all I wanted to say.

The comments were horrible and disgusting in this thread. It's kind of disappointing as most of the people who made the comments are gay and understand how hard it is to be marginalised ... then now attacking the person who is making in roads in what is sorta is still a homophobic industry to break into's beauty.

Like sorry.. all you are cancelled for a day
Forever Young
Loveguru
Legend

Postby Guru » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:50 am

People are not saying, he ugly and needs to kill himself blah blah blah
People are entitled to their opinion. I feel the cover is hideous and a better photo of him could have been used. We are not dissing his looks. We are dissing the photo album cover when we feel a different photo of the same person could have been used :wink:
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Loveguru » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:00 am

Ewokguy15 wrote:He definitely proof you don’t have to be attractive to be a successful male singer! Album should sell well, him releasing it in early November is very smart.
ah sure.

proceed
Forever Young
Loveguru
Legend

Postby westhammer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:54 am

Loveguru wrote:
westhammer wrote:
Loveguru wrote:You are all what's wrong with he world right now..... you all need to re-evaluate. F*cking gross comments in this thread and then whine about why the world is like X and Y

Most of you aren't even 'Pretty' as you think you are anyways
Oh Hun get over yourself and get down off that high horse! It's a music Internet forum, not the Nobel Peace Prize!

Anyway, album is finally here tomorrow! Burning is beautiful.
Oh sorry carry on being a the reason why suicide rates are high within the teen community with your unrealistic expectations and standards of what beauty is.

It's an internet forum yes but that does change the fact that you current have a significantly vile flaw that you actually need to work on for you to be a 'fruitful' and 'nice' member of the society. At this stage you are as bad as the KKK, racists and homophobes as you are spreading hate.

I shall stop replying to you on this matter as I have said all I wanted to say.

The comments were horrible and disgusting in this thread. It's kind of disappointing as most of the people who made the comments are gay and understand how hard it is to be marginalised ... then now attacking the person who is making in roads in what is sorta is still a homophobic industry to break into's beauty.

Like sorry.. all you are cancelled for a day
Are you an expert on teenage mental health? That's a gross oversimplification of the reason for suicide.

Also your comments are personally offensive calling me 'vile' and 'flawed' and a bit different to people on here trolling a celebrity. Maybe people in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones, you are making yourself out to be perfect.
You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er
westhammer
Legend

Postby westhammer » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:57 am

The album was initially beyond dull but after the 2nd listen I'm hooked. Say It First is screaming single, it's so good. Also love Burning, very beautiful. I really like HIM and Pray, theyre well written and show the struggles of being gay and the self acceptance that come with that etc.

I'm not really mad about the gesture on No Peace, I feel her voice doesn't suit the song or match well with Sam and would've preferred a solo version.
westhammer
Legend

Postby spiritboy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:42 am

Haven't listened the album yet but Radio 1 added One Last Song to its B list. Is it the new single?
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Tansike » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:46 am

Two spins so far and it's actually quite boring IMO. The YEBBA collaboration is clearly my fave, she's incredible. Need more spins, i really hope this whole thing grows on me cause i thought his debut was great.
Tansike
Legend

Postby Popsessed » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:41 pm

Having the song No Peace with Yebba on repeat since yesterday. What a beautiful song, really should be a single. I think next year Yebba will be the next big thing, her vocals are insane! I didnt see her name when listening to the song for the first time, and I was thinking who is this! Her voice reminded me of Ellie Goulding mixed with Jessie J and Mary J
Popsessed
Personal Assistant

Postby spiritboy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:37 pm

Gave this a listen and Midnight Train is an immediate favorite.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:13 pm

Tansike wrote:Two spins so far and it's actually quite boring IMO. The YEBBA collaboration is clearly my fave, she's incredible. Need more spins, i really hope this whole thing grows on me cause i thought his debut was great.
Does she have solo stuff? Because she gave me life with that feature.

I️ listened once and it was ok. Need another listen. But where are the geh Omem like dance chunes? :-? He does well on those songs too
SEE.sza.RUN
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Jesper » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:12 pm

After a few listens I am hooked on this album :o
Jesper
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:13 pm

I’d like to see some of y’all take part in a photo shoot. :roll:
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:05 am

I definitely prefer the tone of this album to In the Lonely Hour, though I feel this one doesn't have as many stand-out moments. On the first spin, "Him" seems to be the best song, but lemme see how I feel in a week's time.

I must give him an A+ for use of choir vocals, though.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby BehindBreakaway » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:36 am

JSparksFan wrote:I definitely prefer the tone of this album to In the Lonely Hour, though I feel this one doesn't have as many stand-out moments. On the first spin, "Him" seems to be the best song, but lemme see how I feel in a week's time.

I must give him an A+ for use of choir vocals, though.
I completely agree!!
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Personal Assistant

Postby Hype » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:59 pm

I’m addicted to this, I think he’s managed to match his debut. HIM is just incredible. I watched his Apple Music documentary aswell and he comes across so well and really likeable which I’m glad about. I just love him.
CALL ME CALICE, CALL ME COLD. YOU'RE ITALIC, I'M IN BOLD.
Hype
Legend

Postby westhammer » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:57 pm

Completely obsessed with this now. It's the album of the year for me so far.

He is so likeable on Carpool Karaoke!
westhammer
Legend

Postby Popsessed » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:45 pm

This album is beyond insane, its sooo good! First listen sounded dull, but second listen i was hooked. No Peace is my favorite, can relate the lyrics in many ways, its like it was written for me. It feels always so great to hear a song that you can relate to in every word. Btw what a great year has it been for pop music. Best year since a long time IMO. I was already hooked on the new albums by P!nk and Kelly, but this truly deserves to win record of the year.
Popsessed
Personal Assistant

Postby Tansike » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:53 pm

ThaInfo1 wrote:
Tansike wrote:Two spins so far and it's actually quite boring IMO. The YEBBA collaboration is clearly my fave, she's incredible. Need more spins, i really hope this whole thing grows on me cause i thought his debut was great.
Does she have solo stuff? Because she gave me life with that feature.

I️ listened once and it was ok. Need another listen. But where are the geh Omem like dance chunes? :-? He does well on those songs too
No idea about commercial releases but she has some stuff on youtube, including this amazing performance:

Tansike
Legend

Return to Pop