Selena Gomez & Marshmello · Wolves

Moderators: Spartan, urbanmusik

Postby BehindBreakaway » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:48 pm

Mainshow wrote:
hellohello wrote:So her music is special because she inspired Britney's album and whoever Julia Michaels and Justin Tranter is then ok but I still stand by my opinion.
That may be your opinion but if you don't know who Julia Michaels and Justin Tranter...it doesn't really qualify your opinion to be valid when it comes to nowadays pop music because they are responsible for the biggest hits 2015-2017 and Selena's album was somehow special because it helped (together with Bieber's "Purpose") to make them famous and therefore, have a bigger influence on pop music.

And it's not only Britney's "Glory" album but also Gwen Stefani's "This Is What the Truth Feels Like", "Close" by Nick Jonas; even some Maroon 5 and Imagine Dragons tracks etc. - I don't say that Selena's music had such a huge impact but she clearly was a driving force when it comes to that stripped down pop sound we can find in many tracks released within the last three years.

So, in the end, calling her only "an Instagram" model is not a valid opinion or at least, delusional since she's delivered some of the biggest hits of the last two years and she partially influenced the current sound of pop music.
A billion times this!!
3 months and I'm still sober, picked all my weeds but kept the flowers!
BehindBreakaway
Personal Assistant

Postby Loveguru » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:22 am

Mainshow wrote:
hellohello wrote:So her music is special because she inspired Britney's album and whoever Julia Michaels and Justin Tranter is then ok but I still stand by my opinion.
That may be your opinion but if you don't know who Julia Michaels and Justin Tranter...it doesn't really qualify your opinion to be valid when it comes to nowadays pop music because they are responsible for the biggest hits 2015-2017 and Selena's album was somehow special because it helped (together with Bieber's "Purpose") to make them famous and therefore, have a bigger influence on pop music.

And it's not only Britney's "Glory" album but also Gwen Stefani's "This Is What the Truth Feels Like", "Close" by Nick Jonas; even some Maroon 5 and Imagine Dragons tracks etc. - I don't say that Selena's music had such a huge impact but she clearly was a driving force when it comes to that stripped down pop sound we can find in many tracks released within the last three years.

So, in the end, calling her only "an Instagram" model is not a valid opinion or at least, delusional since she's delivered some of the biggest hits of the last two years and she partially influenced the current sound of pop music.
WOW :lol:

I mean Lorde without even trying here.

Selena jumps on bandwagons :lol:

I mean Bad liar is probably the most experimental she has been and I can give you that one.

Rest no
Forever Young
Loveguru
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:13 am

Loveguru wrote:
Mainshow wrote:

WOW :lol:

I mean Lorde without even trying here.

Selena jumps on bandwagons :lol:

I mean Bad liar is probably the most experimental she has been and I can give you that one.

Rest no
I don't see a contradiction here.
I didn't say that Selena invented new sounds or was revolutionary by any means.

The core message was that Selena was so huge with her singles 2015-2016 that she partially influenced pop music heavily. The sound of her singles (as well as Bieber's) singles had an impact on follow-up pop hits; also based on the factthat their songwriters were suddenly en vogue (like a RedOne scenario light).
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Carbon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:19 am

She just had a few bigger hits in the span of two years. So did Meghan Trainor. Not influential in any way tbh, none of the hits will be remembered as something important. Even All About That Bass will be more of an evergreen.

This single is really lazy and low budget in all aspects (cover, video, lyrics and production), fascinating how she's actually losing to Demi this time when their prevoous eras were the opposite. Shame, cause Fetish was underrated
Ја кријам главата под шалот.
Само на веѓите ми се гледа
дека мислам на тебе.

last.fm

Carbon's 2017 Faves
- check it out!
Carbon
Legend

Postby JimJim » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:26 am

hellohello wrote:
Tansike wrote:She looks amazing in the video, but overall it's nothing special at all. Expected more after "Bad Liar" and "Fetish" :(
What else did you expect from an Instagram model? There is nothing special about her music.
From a few posts you've made in threads recently, you seem pressed. If you dislike these artists so much, why bother posting in their threads?
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby Mainshow » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:36 am

Carbon wrote:She just had a few bigger hits in the span of two years. So did Meghan Trainor. Not influential in any way tbh, none of the hits will be remembered as something important. Even All About That Bass will be more of an evergreen.

This single is really lazy and low budget in all aspects (cover, video, lyrics and production), fascinating how she's actually losing to Demi this time when their prevoous eras were the opposite. Shame, cause Fetish was underrated
"Hold It Against Me" by Britney won't be remembered by the general public either. Even Britney doesn't like the song that much but it was a #1 single and the song had a huge dubstep part. She was one of the earliest pop artist making use of dubstep. She heavily influenced pop music as well at that time (music critics, magazines are backing this up as well).

Same happened to Selena and Justin around 2015/2016.
Maybe they didn't create evergreens but they clearly left their mark in pop music because their sound and songwriters got so popular.
#TeamTargaryen
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Cactuar » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:43 pm

"Bad Liar" was one of the year's best songs, "Fetish" was interesting and continued in the right direction, then this? I understand that a big-budget pop project like her isn't relevant without Top 10s but "Wolves" is rather shocking after the last two singles. I don't doubt it'd do well but this is not great especially since her last campaign was so strong. :-?
Cactuar
Superstar

Return to Pop