Sophie Ellis-Bextor - The Song Diaries

Moderators: Spartan, urbanmusik

Postby SaintKing » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:04 pm

...and finally, Today The Sun’s On Us has been confirmed! There we have it - 16 singles. Unless she decides to surprise us with a new song or more singles, we have all the songs that will be on the album.
SaintKing
Groupie

Postby Noahh » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:18 pm

No “Get Over You”? :(
"I got to do things my own way darling. Will you ever let me? Will you ever respect me? No!"

InstagramLast.fm
Noahh
Legend

Postby Shadowplay » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:43 pm

I will definitely buy in physical form like I did with Familia, Wanderlust and RML. Up to now I still can’t find Make a Scene anywhere, it is unavailable evn on Spotify here in Italy :-(

MAS is really a strange album, released years after its main singles and not promoted at all. I doubt she properly consider it as an album, or a mere compilation released for contractual obligations...
"Despair, regret, and tenderness is what I feel for you"
Shadowplay
Manager

Postby SaintKing » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:42 pm

She was in the midst of leaving her label back then. It’s tragic that she had to release collaborative singles to help push the album. If Polydor/Fascination saw the whole release through, we may have had more b-sides. She did have plenty of leftover material from that era..

I’m guessing that she’d have exhausted the whole budget by the time Starlight was out. Which is why we never got a proper video or b-side for it.

It started well for her. Heartbreak was a hit, she managed to renew the GP’s interest in her work. But Kit’s pregnancy was difficult for her. She couldn’t use the Rimmel campaign to promote the album because she had to focus on being a mother to yet another premature baby.

Bittersweet should have been much bigger than it was. It had a good amount of promotion too. I’m not sure why the general public didn’t like the song - it was pop perfection!
SaintKing
Groupie

Postby SaintKing » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:45 am

Here's a clip of Pessimist with Sophie's vocals on it. It's surreal listening to her singing the song after all these years!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BfD7g9AB9wK ... lorentina1
SaintKing
Groupie

Postby SholasBoy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:22 pm

I’m so glad she’s including Mixed Up World, it’s one of my favourites and that album always seems to get bypassed. Bizarre that Get Over You is missed out as one of her biggest hits, I think an orchestral version of that song would be much more creative than Move This Mountain which is already in that vein.
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Cactuar » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:42 pm

SholasBoy wrote:I’m so glad she’s including Mixed Up World, it’s one of my favourites and that album always seems to get bypassed. Bizarre that Get Over You is missed out as one of her biggest hits, I think an orchestral version of that song would be much more creative than Move This Mountain which is already in that vein.
I agree with every word. It’s hard to imagine MTM as being much different with an orchestra.

Who here has ordered this off Pledgemusic?
Cactuar
Superstar

Postby SaintKing » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:52 pm

I’ve ordered it from PledgeMusic
SaintKing
Groupie

Postby Westen » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:05 pm

Get Over You should be there instead of Music Gets The Best Of Me. Never liked that song.
Westen
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:26 am

'Get Over You' is not on it? :cry: :cry: booooo!
Definitely one of her most iconic songs.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby SaintKing » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:20 pm

Get Over You cemented my love for this woman. So I wish it was on the album. But it was clear from the beginning that there would be 16 songs on it - and I wouldn’t remove any of the existing songs from the list. This really is Sophie’s choice (no pun intended).

I’m still wishing she’ll secretly add 4 more songs on the deluxe version.
SaintKing
Groupie

Postby Cactuar » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:52 pm

I heard Mixed Up World on her Instagram and cried. I'm so glad this isn't some half-assed cash in, it's potentially spectacular! I believe the cover art features an illustration of her? Probably goes with the diary theme.

Full Tracklist:

A Pessimist is never disappointed
Groovejet
Take me home
Murder on the Dancefloor
Music gets the best of me
Move this mountain
Mixed up world
Today the sun’s on us
Me and my imagination
Catch you
Bittersweet
Not giving up
Heartbreak
Love is a camera
Young blood
Wild forever

I wonder if she exceeded her pledge goal and can consider doing something special for the fans. I got myself 3 copies and also saw Kaushik on the page!

#neverforget I Won't Change You, Get Over You :(
Cactuar
Superstar

Postby SaintKing » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:40 am

Ed, Richard, Dan and Laurie Belgrave are doing backing vocals on Heartbreak. She posted their humming sessions on her Instagram Story. I think Heartbreak will be massive and dramatic - with the big drums, the harp, the strings and now the boys on backing vocals. Can’t wait for this one. I hope it’s a 6 minute long song with a slow build up.

Also, Sophie has updated her Twitter, Instagram and Facebook profile pictures with photos from the new shoot. David Downton is painting/sketching/drawing her for the cover, but I’m guessing we’ll get tons of pictures in the booklet. They’re probably all captured by David, and not Sophie Muller.
SaintKing
Groupie

Postby heppolo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:08 am

^That sounds great
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby SaintKing » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:49 am

I love that she's dressed in black in all those pictures. How very theaudience-like of her.

SaintKing
Groupie

Postby Carbon » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:20 am

Looking forward to thisss
необичните си имаат секој свој пат и тешко се среќаваат

last.fm
Carbon
Legend

Postby SaintKing » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:44 pm

For those who have ordered the album from Pledge Music, there are two beautiful pictures waiting along with an official update.

Also, a small correction - the pictures were taken by Laura Lewis.
ImageImage
SaintKing
Groupie

Postby heppolo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:22 pm

Sophie's rewarding the fans
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby SaintKing » Sat May 19, 2018 9:19 am

Sophie uploaded the artwork on Pledge Music. You’ll also find it on her social media.

She is reworking some of the songs to make it sound as big as Heartbreak. And if the snippets on her Instagram stories were anything to go by - Heartbreak sounds massive!

Also, there’s going to be a new song on the album.
SaintKing
Groupie

Postby Benjamin » Sat May 19, 2018 9:56 am

When is she releasing this? I feel like this was announced ages ago.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Cactuar » Sat May 19, 2018 10:19 am

I only just realised that Kaushik is SaintKing. :o I’m so glad you’re still around! I’ve been following the Popjustice thread to keep myself updated on Sophie, I’m not allowed to post there for some reason!

The album release has been delayed, Sophie admitted she was a bit too optimistic about having it ready for spring. It needs a bit more technical stuff. Reviews from the live shows are mixed, mostly due to her live arrangements only containing a string section and not much else.

She’s going to do another album with Harcourt after this. Unfortunate, I know. :( Wish she would consider other edgier producers who can make unique and exciting pop music (Paul Epworth, John Congleton). I’d rather a 60s-influence record with Bernard Butler than another album like Wanderlust or Familia.

Sophie’s doing a live performance in Glasgow with the BBC Orchestra this September though (I’ll be in the UK then and hope to attend!) so the album might be out late Q3? :D

EDIT: “It’s out in the autumn and will now include a new song by Ed Harcourt and I,” says Sophie on Pledgemusic. :o I’m guessing she got a lot more pledgers than she expected with this project, hence the delay so she can utilise all the funds to add value. :D Get excited!
Cactuar
Superstar

Postby SaintKing » Sat May 19, 2018 11:18 am

Hi, yes I am Kaushik. I lost the password to the other account I had here and I wasnt able to recover it either.

I’m still incredibly excited about the upcoming GH, even more now because of the addition of a new song!
SaintKing
Groupie

Postby Westen » Sat May 19, 2018 11:24 am

I like the artwork and I am excited for GH but oh my god, i don't want another album with Ed. Familia made me unstan her, i still love her and i support her, but it kinda killed her for me, at least until she wins me over with new studio album. And i know it won't happen with Ed, i don't understand why sh simply doesn't move on from him...
Westen
Legend

Postby SaintKing » Sat May 19, 2018 11:34 am

Well, it’s because she wants to do 3 albums with Ed. She’d said this sometime during Familia. I think both Wanderlust and Familia are excellent albums; but I understand the general distaste towards Familia.

She did tell her fans that the next album with Ed is slightly more electronic. So maybe that’s good news to some of you?
SaintKing
Groupie

Postby Westen » Sat May 19, 2018 11:36 am

Well, I think that Orchestral GH would be the best way to end this part of her career with Ed, unfortunately it will take us plenty of years to hear something from her that won't be done by Ed, i am tired of his sound and of their lyrics. I need her to go full pop star again.
Westen
Legend

Return to Pop