Justin Timberlake + Chris Stapleton | Say Something

Moderators: Spartan, urbanmusik

Postby Spartan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:00 pm

Mythos wrote:I love this to be honest, best song out of the three <3
Best song out of the three but they’ve all been rather underwhelming.
Spartan
Legend

Postby stevyy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:01 pm

Spartan wrote:
Mythos wrote:I love this to be honest, best song out of the three <3
Best song out of the three but they’ve all been rather underwhelming.
I get what you mean. They are not as instant as before (before 20/20). BUT... still.. they r growers... SS is pop galore of the highest order to me.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Hugo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:06 pm

stevyy wrote:10/10 - Say Something
I swear you have the lowest standards possible :lol:

No wonder you're fed all kinds of disposable ish, fans need to be more exigent.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:13 pm

This is by far the best of the three songs.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby stevyy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:13 pm

Hugo wrote:

aren't you a beyoncé stan? :oops:
stevyy
Legend

Postby Hugo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:14 pm

“Say Something,” the new single from Justin Timberlake’s new album Man in the Woods, is the first of the record’s three singles to actually approach the idea of the “woods”–the thing that has spurred all the jokes about Bon Iver. Featuring country superstar Chris Stapleton, the “woods” of “Say Something” are, as you might have predicted, an ambiguous, wholly invented place in musical realization: the most facepalm-worthy type of appropriative musical bromide.

It’s safe to say that “Say Something” is the closest thing we’ve heard to what Timberlake, in a recent album trailer, called his newfound “modern Americana with 808s,” with the production coming from longtime Timberlake confidants and proven pop miracle workers Timbaland and Danja. Alas, their baroque percussion work and atmospheric synths create an uncomfortable brew when blended with loud acoustic guitar strumming, with chords that make it come off more like a 2003 Lifehouse ballad than a Alan Jackson song or something in line with Stapleton’s own best work.

In congregating to rig up Timberlake’s over-customized, genre-defiant, but definitively market-ready version of music of the “woods,” this undoubtedly talented team created a monster. There are some handclaps, some Santana-like guitar crocheting, and African-and-Latin-adjacent percussion rhythms, each importing a misplaced bit of exoticism that’s hard to account for at all. What “woods” has Timberlake been visiting, exactly? Punctuated with arbitrary shards of trap hi-hats, the confusing combination of elements results in a wholly funk-free backing track.

Perhaps to go as far as declaring this song to be a “monster,” in the pejorative sense, is inflating the stakes too much. After hearing “Say Something” enough times, it will likely transition from a perplexing aberration into innocuous doctor’s office music. It is certainly not as grating as the similarly nonsensical amalgamation “Supplies,” Timberlake’s most musically demented offering of Man in the Woods so far. Still, it’s really hard not to hear this song’s bellowing, platitudinous hook–let alone Stapleton’s apparent “Ebony and Ivory” interpolation, or the constant, meaningless references to unspecified “transgressions” and how to talk about them–and get frustrated by the middle-aged Justin Timberlake’s persistent bad taste. He seems to be unwilling to stop cherrypicking from musical genres song-to-song and smudging out everything that is good about them. He hasn’t even been able to sell a fairly straight-ahead Marvin Gaye rip lately.

By “sell,” of course, I only mean figuratively. “Can’t Stop the Feeling” quite literally did sell, reigning as a No. 1 hit for weeks. Who am I to wag my finger, then? Even “Say Something” will probably chart well. But here’s the final caveat emptor: if you’re looking for clever, poignant, or just remotely sensical turns of phrase, a inescapable hook, or music your body could comfortably move to, “Say Something” is not the 2018 Justin Timberlake single for you. You’d be better off with “Filthy,” believe it or not.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Hugo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:15 pm

stevyy wrote:aren't you a beyoncé stan? :oops:
I swear I'd love to be inside your brain to understand the parameters you use to evaluate music, 'cause clearly they differ a lot from mine. Actually, total opposites I'd say.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby stevyy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:16 pm

pff... whatever.

gimme some handclaps, some santana-esque riffs and latin vibes and I am in ghey heaven. <3

JT remains top of the crops.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Hugo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:19 pm

stevyy wrote:gimme some handclaps, some santana-esque riffs and latin vibes and I am in ghey heaven. <3
You certainly don't ask for much considering you're a collector and music aficionado for a few decades now.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby ArmyOfMe » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:20 pm

Hugo wrote:

If they have a penis, stevyy is fine.
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby stevyy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:23 pm

Hugo wrote:
stevyy wrote:aren't you a beyoncé stan? :oops:
I swear I'd love to be inside your brain to understand the parameters you use to evaluate music, 'cause clearly they differ a lot from mine. Actually, total opposites I'd say.
I don't know.. I am a rock lover, a male artists worshipper. My top 10 acts on LastFM are:

01 - 19.143 - USA - Mariah Carey
02 - 14.370 - GBR - Robert Williams
03 - 10.982 - ITA - Marco Mengoni
04 - 9,336 - USA - Imagine Dragons
05 - 7,846 - USA - Brandon Flowers
06 - 7,731 - USA - Kings of Leon
07 - 7.077 - GBR - Coldplay
08 - 6,573 - GBR - Take That
09 - 6,528 - USA - Father John Misty
10 - 6.124 - USA - The Killers
--
39 - 2.243 - USA - Beyoncé

45 - 1.881 - USA - Justin Timberlake

01 - 693 - 1xP - 20/20 Experience
02 - 376 - 1xG - 20/20 Experience 2/2
03 - 284 - 1xG - FS/LS
04 - 135 - Justified
05 - 91 - Man of The Woods
stevyy
Legend

Postby stevyy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:24 pm

ArmyOfMe wrote:
Hugo wrote:

If they have a penis, stevyy is fine.
That's actually pretty accurate. :lol:
stevyy
Legend

Postby GreekGeek » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:27 pm

I loooooooooooved it on my first listen! :oops: :oops: This will be ABSOLUTELY AMAZING live!!! :D :D

@Hugo you are so biased... We get it. You hate Justin. Move on already. You don't have to attack other people who like him and his songs. :roll:
Last edited by GreekGeek on Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And the 8th day God created KYLIE!!! <3
GreekGeek
Superstar

Postby ThaInfo1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:32 pm

JSparksFan wrote:This is by far the best of the three songs.
BARDI GANG!!
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Jesper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:34 pm

Okay this is the fastest growing song of the 3, love this now, still wish he would be a bit stronger in the visual department
Jesper
Legend

Postby Hugo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:39 pm

GreekGeek wrote:@Hugo you are so biased... We get it. You hate Justin. Move on. :roll:
Its upsetting that in a music forum, some still view negative criticism as hate.

If I check his stuff is because I still care, otherwise I wouldn't even give a crap as is the case for many acts.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby menime123 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:48 pm

It’s nice but it’s got nothing on Supplies. I think he’ll have something special on his album though - still very excited for it!
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
menime123
Legend

Postby stevyy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:52 pm

Hugo wrote:
GreekGeek wrote:@Hugo you are so biased... We get it. You hate Justin. Move on. :roll:
Its upsetting that in a music forum, some still view negative criticism as hate.

If I check his stuff is because I still care, otherwise I wouldn't even give a crap as is the case for many acts.
well u full on attacked me for liking this song (and Justin in general).

your criticism is hate-speech in disguise.
stevyy
Legend

Postby Hugo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:57 pm

stevyy wrote:
Hugo wrote:

well u full on attacked me for liking this song (and Justin in general).
I didn't attack you, I merely pointed out the fact that you're not very demanding and you eagerly agreed. So, why are you offended?

You're an interesting case indeed stewie.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby madgikman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:15 pm

Move on people
madgikman
Personal Assistant

Postby MrDiva » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:27 pm

Jesper wrote:The music so far is okay, but everything feels like a non event. The first trailer put out for the project looked promising. But the visuals and songs so far feel a bit inconsistent. I mean despite being a major flop commercially, I think Fergie proved that when you try to tackle a visual project that you can create enjoyable visuals that fit the songs. So far I just have not seen JT's strengths as performer/entertainer play out. Like he is part of the videos, but they don't have replay value at all, while this project probably has a lot of coins involved. I feel on paper everything made sense, but as casual fan (in my case) I literally have no idea what to do with the project so far.
MrDiva
Legend

Postby Mythos » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:44 pm

Wow, wtf Hugo, stop being so mean to stevyy. Criticsm does not equal bullying...
But honey I'll be seein' you down every road...
Mythos
Manager

Postby Hugo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:37 pm

In the sad wake of the dated and yelpy “Filthy” (more like PastSex/AnimalNoises!) and the really apocalyptically awful “Supplies” (pronounced “supply-ay-ays”), Justin Timberlake’s third Man of the Woods single was poised to make good on the album’s LL Bean-catalog rollout. After all, “Say Something” reunited Timberlake with the Nashville country singer Chris Stapleton, who performed a show-stopping duet with Justin at the 2015 Country Music Awards. But, apparently, the two have nothing to say, and they’re absurdly proud of it.

Like “Filthy,” “Say Something” is produced by Timberlake’s FutureSex/LoveSounds collaborators Timbaland and Danja. (The former may have forgotten that he already had a 2009 song with the same title.) Rather than attempting a full country crossover, Timbaland adds percussive flourishes with some guitar work, aiming for “Jolene” but landing closer to Tonic. This is the setting for Timberlake and Stapleton to trade verses about how they’re being expected to comment on stuff—what stuff exactly isn’t totally clear—but they don’t wanna “get caught up in the rhythm.” (Oh, guys, didn’t you hear Katy Perry? We’re all already chained to it.)

When you can’t say anything nice, you might do well to sing Timberlake and Stapleton’s complacent mantra: “Sometimes the greatest way to say something/Is to say nothing at all.“ Subtlety is lacking here: The last time they sing this phrase, they cut off, suddenly, on the word “nothing.” When Stapleton sings about “harmony,” the instruments drop out to emphasize, yep, voices in harmony. If “Filthy,” like Lady Gaga’s “Perfect Illusion,” was Timberlake’s poppy pre-Super Bowl misfire, then “Say Something” should be his “Million Reasons”—except he doesn’t give you one good reason to stay here. It’s exactly the wrong message at a time when people with far less of a platform are, in fact, showing the power in speaking out. When words fail, music is supposed to speak, fine. But if Timberlake is to be believed, silence is golden. What bad advice for these times.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/ju ... stapleton/
In sync.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby MrLeonix » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:42 pm

It seems like some critics and people are not liking his stuff that much this time.
Britney Spears . Michael Jackson . Madonna . Metallica . Radiohead . Led Zeppelin . Oasis . Beyoncé . Soda Stereo
MrLeonix
Legend

Postby abi » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:48 am

It's okay to not like a song but it's not cute to criticize someone else's taste in music just because you think their taste is trash. I mean, sorry that not all of us are Mozart/Beethoven stans. I like some mindless & trash bops. I like some Justin Bieber, some K-Pop and also I like "Run The World (Girls)", i know they're trash but I hate it when people tell me that my taste in music sucks just because I like them, so let's just respect each other and move on.
abi
Legend

Return to Pop