Niall Horan | On The Loose

Moderators: Spartan, urbanmusik

 

Postby Benjamin » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:34 pm

I think ZAYN's 'Dusk Till Dawn' is great to be honest.

Back to Niall, I hope this will be a big hit for him.
User avatar
Benjamin
Kid At Heart
 
Posts: 60323
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005
Location: The Netherlands

Postby Debs_Wild » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:00 pm

JakeP wrote:Niall would be #1 if he featured on a Drake or Post Malone single. :lol:
My grandma, too.
Debs_Wild
Manager
 
Posts: 1298
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006

Postby JimJim » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:03 am

As much as I love this song, the video is pretty blah. It's three and a half minutes of some woman twirling around :lol: ...the budget obvious has been blown at this point, given it's a fourth single.

The start of the video was giving me Emma Bunton 'What Took You So Long' video vibes though, which is a fun comparison.
User avatar
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse
 
Posts: 26645
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008
Location: Melbourne, Aus

Postby Benjamin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:44 am

The beginning reminded me of Emma's video too! :D
User avatar
Benjamin
Kid At Heart
 
Posts: 60323
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005
Location: The Netherlands

Postby oaknuys » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:17 am

This gets better and better each time i watch its video! The last minute of the video is sonically and virtually the best thing i've seen in a loooong time! Utterly on fire
Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting :)
oaknuys
Manager
 
Posts: 4175
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014
Location: Bel Air, California

Postby SaintKing » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:06 am

If someone told me a few years ago I would be listening to songs by One Direction members, I would have laughed at them.

I don’t just listen to On The Loose, I’m obsessed with it. I hear it literally everywhere I go. There’s something very Hall & Oates about it. I love the guitars, I love that instrumental hook, I love the melody; the lad’s even got a nice voice!
User avatar
SaintKing
Groupie
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018

Postby oaknuys » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:01 am

SaintKing wrote:If someone told me a few years ago I would be listening to songs by One Direction members, I would have laughed at them.

I don’t just listen to On The Loose, I’m obsessed with it. I hear it literally everywhere I go. There’s something very Hall & Oates about it. I love the guitars, I love that instrumental hook, I love the melody; the lad’s even got a nice voice!
Haha lol exactly. He was the most unsuspecting one but turned out to be best of the bunch! I'm a big fan of all of the singles he has released so far! A true yet humbled superstar!
Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting :)
oaknuys
Manager
 
Posts: 4175
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014
Location: Bel Air, California

Postby SaintKing » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:54 am

oaknuys wrote:
SaintKing wrote:If someone told me a few years ago I would be listening to songs by One Direction members, I would have laughed at them.

I don’t just listen to On The Loose, I’m obsessed with it. I hear it literally everywhere I go. There’s something very Hall & Oates about it. I love the guitars, I love that instrumental hook, I love the melody; the lad’s even got a nice voice!
Haha lol exactly. He was the most unsuspecting one but turned out to be best of the bunch! I'm a big fan of all of the singles he has released so far! A true yet humbled superstar!
I haven't followed his old band - but I am impressed with this new single. I gave his album a spin, not much on it really grabs me.

I loved "Since We're Alone", which is so Fleetwood Mac circa Rumours era. Slow Hands is alright - it tailored for the radio. This Town is pretty good too.

The rest of the album feels like it was made keeping Ed Sheeran's audience in mind. There's nothing wrong with the rest of his album, but I'd have been much happier if we got an album filled with 10 songs like On The Loose and Since We're Alone. This is just his first album. Maybe his label will let him make more Hall & Oates / Fleetwood Mac type of songs.

Spoiler:
I'm also enjoying a handful of songs by Harry Styles (Carolina, Only Angel, Kiwi and Woman). Recently, I watched a performance of a song called Medicine, which I thought was incredible as well!
User avatar
SaintKing
Groupie
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018

Postby JimJim » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:02 am

If you like 'Since Were Alone', there's probably a handful of songs on the albums 'Four' and 'Made in A.M.' that you'd like.
User avatar
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse
 
Posts: 26645
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008
Location: Melbourne, Aus

Postby Affillate » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:54 am

JimJim wrote:If you like 'Since Were Alone', there's probably a handful of songs on the albums 'Four' and 'Made in A.M.' that you'd like.
Not to mention this is like the cousin to ‘what a feeling’ from MITAM.
User avatar
Affillate
Manager
 
Posts: 4348
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia

Postby Bazmedia » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:15 pm

i cant see this being a hit - especially in the UK. The first thing i thought when it came on the radio that it was really dated with poor production and sounded like a throwback Justin Bieber. Disappointing effort :(
User avatar
Bazmedia
Manager
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013

Postby oaknuys » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:58 pm

Bazmedia wrote:i cant see this being a hit - especially in the UK. The first thing i thought when it came on the radio that it was really dated with poor production and sounded like a throwback Justin Bieber. Disappointing effort :(
Lol the production of this got me mesmerized at once! I cant see any similarities between Niall’s and JB’s music though, JB’s initial music were for youngesters and his second wave of music were a mellow mix of tropical, rnb, pop midtempos... Niall’s music is deffo different to that to my ears.
Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting :)
oaknuys
Manager
 
Posts: 4175
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014
Location: Bel Air, California

Postby JakeP » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:04 pm

oaknuys wrote:Lol the production of this got me mesmerized at once! I cant see any similarities between Niall’s and JB’s music though, JB’s initial music were for youngesters and his second wave of music were a mellow mix of tropical, rnb, pop midtempos... Niall’s music is deffo different to that to my ears.
100% agree. Niall has ventured down the adult contemporary route which is a clever strategy as whilst he's bound to retain his One Direction fans, his music is more likely to appeal to a wider audience.

Niall is also benefitting more from touring. Flicker might not have sold bucketloads but i reckon Niall is gonna triumph as the most successful 1D member in the long run. <3
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 4605
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby Benjamin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:41 pm

oaknuys wrote:Lol the production of this got me mesmerized at once! I cant see any similarities between Niall’s and JB’s music though, JB’s initial music were for youngesters and his second wave of music were a mellow mix of tropical, rnb, pop midtempos... Niall’s music is deffo different to that to my ears.
Agreed. I don't hear JB innit.
User avatar
Benjamin
Kid At Heart
 
Posts: 60323
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005
Location: The Netherlands

Postby Bazmedia » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:12 pm

Didn't realise that On The Loose bombed so badly in the UK ( Peak position 94 ) and Ireland ( Peak Position 47 ) :o
Its a weak song and not single material.
Get it together Niall for the next one
User avatar
Bazmedia
Manager
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013

Postby menime123 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:50 pm

Bazmedia wrote:Didn't realise that On The Loose bombed so badly in the UK ( Peak position 94 ) and Ireland ( Peak Position 47 ) :o
Its a weak song and not single material.
Get it together Niall for the next one
It’s because he hasn’t promoted it - even Slow Hands was struggling until he performed it on TV.
Girls Aloud: only 4 years left of my decade long signature countdown to my dream 20th anniversary reunion tour...
User avatar
menime123
Legend
 
Posts: 12523
Joined: Sun May 01, 2005

Postby Thriller » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:59 pm

Good to hear something uptempo from him, shame it wasn’t a hit.
User avatar
Thriller
Moderator
 
Posts: 71148
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2003
Location: UK

Postby Bazmedia » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:35 pm

This song just didnt connect and the vocals aren't great. He didnt need Graham Norton promo for Slow Hands it was already selling well.
User avatar
Bazmedia
Manager
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013

Postby Guru » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:06 am

By far, the best OD album. Really mature album.
I love it.
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
User avatar
Guru
Guru
 
Posts: 24191
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006
Location: On ukmix.org

Postby Benjamin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:07 am

I honestly expected this to smash. :( such a good song.
User avatar
Benjamin
Kid At Heart
 
Posts: 60323
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005
Location: The Netherlands

Postby JakeP » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:17 pm

Benjamin wrote:I honestly expected this to smash. :( such a good song.
Radio just didn't get on board which is quite astonishing as it sounds like the perfect song for daytime radio. Music channels in the UK didn't bother adding the track to their playlists.

All in all without the added media exposure, its not surprising to see On the loose performing like this. :(
User avatar
JakeP
Manager
 
Posts: 4605
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2013

Postby oaknuys » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:10 pm

JakeP wrote:
Benjamin wrote:I honestly expected this to smash. :( such a good song.
Radio just didn't get on board which is quite astonishing as it sounds like the perfect song for daytime radio. Music channels in the UK didn't bother adding the track to their playlists.

All in all without the added media exposure, its not surprising to see On the loose performing like this. :(
Big shame indeed. Hands down its one of best songs and video of the year by far. Niall proved he has quite a something up in his sleeve with such strong attempt!
Been reading UkMix everyday for well more than a decade now, and Here I am posting :)
oaknuys
Manager
 
Posts: 4175
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014
Location: Bel Air, California

Postby Tansike » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:23 am

Actually i think this is his strongest single to date, but considering it's the fourth release of his album, which already faded away on the charts, plus considering he did no promo, it's no surprise "On The Loose" flopped.
User avatar
Tansike
Legend
 
Posts: 42547
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012
Location: Switzerland

Postby Benjamin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:35 am

I also think it's his strongest single to date :)
User avatar
Benjamin
Kid At Heart
 
Posts: 60323
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005
Location: The Netherlands

Postby Nippian93 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:12 pm

❤Whitney Houston
User avatar
Nippian93
Legend
 
Posts: 37811
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016

Return to Pop