Goodnight n Go
6%
Pete Davidson
No votes
Get Well Soon
2%

Total votes : 138

Postby urbanmusik » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:24 pm

This album surpassed all my expectations. I know a lot of people aren’t here for Pharrell’s sound, but his songs are my favorites on this record. He worked really well with Ariana and delivered some of his best productions.

The criticism that Pharrell’s productions could have been made in 2001 or 2006 etc are valid, but I think that his sound is pretty timeless and instantly recognisable - something that can either be seen as a plus or negative I guess. The production flourishes are so masterful and work so well with Ariana’s personality that they come across as rich, fun and classic rather than dated to me.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby RayRay » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:41 pm

No Tears Left To Cry and God Is A Woman are among my favorite songs of the year.
Shame none of the other songs don't even come close to those two.
RayRay
Legend

Postby GetBack » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:48 am

RayRay wrote:No Tears Left To Cry and God Is A Woman are among my favorite songs of the year.
The singles are indeed way too strong compared to the other tracks!
GetBack
Legend

Postby Andrae » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:51 am

Breathin' will smash hard! :D
Andrae
Groupie

Postby Jesper » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:45 am

urbanmusik wrote:This album surpassed all my expectations. I know a lot of people aren’t here for Pharrell’s sound, but his songs are my favorites on this record. He worked really well with Ariana and delivered some of his best productions.

The criticism that Pharrell’s productions could have been made in 2001 or 2006 etc are valid, but I think that his sound is pretty timeless and instantly recognisable - something that can either be seen as a plus or negative I guess. The production flourishes are so masterful and work so well with Ariana’s personality that they come across as rich, fun and classic rather than dated to me.
!!!!
Jesper
Legend

Postby Gravity » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:54 am

It's not that his work here sounds dated, but rather uninspired.
Last edited by Gravity on Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby Tansike » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:49 am

GetBack wrote:
RayRay wrote:No Tears Left To Cry and God Is A Woman are among my favorite songs of the year.
That's probably the 'problem' for this album. The other tracks aren't even bad, it's just that the singles are so incredibly strong.

Anyways, this is my favorite album from her now. I don't have the desire to skip any of the tracks when listening to it.

Also, to my surprise, she said she's planning an US tour for this. I thought she won't tour so let's see how this will turn out.
Tansike
Legend

Postby Damiennatas1 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:44 pm

Tansike wrote:
GetBack wrote:
That's probably the 'problem' for this album. The other tracks aren't even bad, it's just that the singles are so incredibly strong.

Anyways, this is my favorite album from her now. I don't have the desire to skip any of the tracks when listening to it.

Also, to my surprise, she said she's planning an US tour for this. I thought she won't tour so let's see how this will turn out.
That’s because it sounds like you’re listening to one song the entire album.
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby GetBack » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:03 pm

I'm so annoyed with her usage of "yuh". It's just so annoying. I can't believe that listening to this album with headphones would reveal softer echoes of "yuh" adlibs in many other songs! :roll: :roll: :roll:
GetBack
Legend

Postby GetBack » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:57 am

Looks like she already moved on from this album. Now that she and Pete are not an item anymore, she is already back in the studio. :lol: :lol: :lol:
GetBack
Legend

Postby solitaire » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:42 pm

Where was it confirmed that they are no longer together?
One life with one dream on repeat
solitaire
Manager

Postby Jesper » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:06 pm

GetBack wrote:Looks like she already moved on from this album. Now that she and Pete are not an item anymore, she is already back in the studio. :lol: :lol: :lol:
She said on Twitter earlier, like a Week ago if I remember correctly, that she is not taking breaks anymore, that Sweetener isn’t over and that she is planning to tour Sweetener and the album she is currently recording. Has nothing to do with Pete. She has been in the studio for these new recordings ever since she finished Sweetener and they already only planned to do 3 full length singles from this album beforehand, so it was never meant to be a super lengthy era anyways
Jesper
Legend

Postby Loose » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:08 pm

Her next record will be her Stripped I guess. :cry: Poor thing, she goes through a lot.
Baby, hell no, that's not the way it goes. It's all about me tonight.
Loose
Legend

Postby 17Something » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:49 am

I agree with the posts saying that the singles are way too good compared to the other songs, it's like they paid more attention to them. Hell, a lot of my favorite songs on DW weren't even released as singles. Touch It, Sometimes, Bad Decisions, Knew Better/Forever Boy...I'm hoping the issue doesn't occur again on AG5.
Ain't you ever seen a princess be a bad bitch?
17Something
Groupie

Postby Mainshow » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:26 am

17Something wrote:I agree with the posts saying that the singles are way too good compared to the other songs, it's like they paid more attention to them. Hell, a lot of my favorite songs on DW weren't even released as singles. Touch It, Sometimes, Bad Decisions, Knew Better/Forever Boy...I'm hoping the issue doesn't occur again on AG5.
Agree! "Knew Better / Forever Boy" are underrated!

Currently, I run an Ariana Grande game here on this page. Feel free to join us and save/vote for your five favourite songs:
https://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic. ... &start=300
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Tansike » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:54 am

If you're enjoying her latest album "Sweetener", please join the Ariana Grande - Sweetener - Survivor :)
Tansike
Legend

Postby JeremySpears » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:02 pm

Loose wrote:Her next record will be her Stripped I guess. :cry: Poor thing, she goes through a lot.
We also thought that about this one lmao

"Borderline" is her worst song.
Britney Spears • Janet Jackson • Christina Aguilera • Michael Jackson • Justin Timberlake
JeremySpears
Roadie

Postby Mainshow » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:09 pm

"God Is A Woman" was submitted for "Record Of The Year" and "Pop Solo" and "No Tears Left To Cry" for "Song Of The Year" for the Grammy's.

Tbh, she deserves to get all those awards this time!!!
Mainshow
Legend

Postby KEY9481 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:41 pm

Full concert airs on November 1st, on BBC One.
5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018
KEY9481
Manager

Postby GetBack » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:58 am

Mainshow wrote:"God Is A Woman" was submitted for "Record Of The Year" and "Pop Solo" and "No Tears Left To Cry" for "Song Of The Year" for the Grammy's.

She should have submitted "No Tears" in Record of the Year. :-? :-? :-?
GetBack
Legend

Postby spiritboy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:14 am

Listening to this right now and it sounds much better. Guess the album is a massive grower.
Mariah saved Xmas and Gaga is saving Pop and Hollywood.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:13 am

Looks like the idea of her team to only have three to four single-ready tracks with a bunch of Pharrell filler is really true for this. It's the era that is currently solidifying her 'claim to the pop throne' and yet there were only three singles to push the era (and it seems to be ending fast too).
GetBack
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:39 am

Mainshow wrote:"God Is A Woman" was submitted for "Record Of The Year" and "Pop Solo" and "No Tears Left To Cry" for "Song Of The Year" for the Grammy's.

Why didn't she submit "Breathin" for anything?
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Jesper » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:41 am

GetBack wrote:Looks like the idea of her team to only have three to four single-ready tracks with a bunch of Pharrell filler is really true for this. It's the era that is currently solidifying her 'claim to the pop throne' and yet there were only three singles to push the era (and it seems to be ending fast too).
Looks like the idea that if you don’t like a producer/songs, they are automatically fillers also is true to you! Just because not every song is meant to be a single, doesn’t mean it’s a filler. Every track on this record adds to either the cohesiveness of the sound and/or directly or indirectly to the themes discussed lyrically.
Jesper
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:07 pm

Help Ukmix by finding its all-time Ariana favourite by choosing the winner of Ariana Grande's Artist Survivor.

It's the final round!

https://www.ukmix.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 1#p7019411
Mainshow
Legend

Return to Pop