BTS - IDOL (feat. Nicki Minaj)

Moderators: Spartan, urbanmusik

Postby abi » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:26 am

https://www.etonline.com/bts-just-broke ... ift-108583

BTS Just Broke a YouTube Record Previously Held by Taylor Swift

BTS is back to breaking records.

The K-pop boy band again seemed to do the impossible as they surpassed Taylor Swift for the most-viewed video within 24 hours on YouTube.

BTS' "Idol" music video has racked up over 56 million views on the platform within the first day of its release.
The record previously belonged to Swift for her "Look What You Made Me Do" music video, which was released during the 2017 MTV Video Music Awards. At the time, it gained just over 43 million views in its first 24 hours.

The record is also a personal best for BTS, as their music video for "Fake Love," which dropped last May, earned 35 million views on its first day of release. Watch "Idol" below.
abi
Legend

Postby abi » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:43 am

Still don't know what to think of this one. It's too much noise for me. :lol:
I really like Jimin's bridge though, it sounds beautiful.
abi
Legend

Postby Tansike » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:53 pm

^ Yeah, the bridge is definitely my favorite part, too. It's just way too short :(
Tansike
Legend

Postby JakeP » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:30 pm

heppolo wrote:''Gangnam Style'' sounds like Mozart in comparison to this particular song.
It's like ''Gucci Gang'' but without the fun.
There is nothing fun about Gucci gang. :evil:

I kinda like IDOL but i've never paid much attention to these k-pop acts. BTS are so camp and flamboyant if that video is anything to go off. :lol:
JakeP
Superstar

Postby abi » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:39 pm

JakeP wrote:BTS are so camp and flamboyant if that video is anything to go off. :lol:
Welcome to K-Pop. :lol: For some reason, K-Pop male acts tend to put heavy makeup as their stage image - just like how Prince put makeup or how Bruno put makeup when he did a tribute to Prince.

And idk what you mean by 'camp' but male Koreans in general, straight or not, are very touchy with each other - it's like a normal thing there.
abi
Legend

Postby JakeP » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:25 pm

abi wrote:Welcome to K-Pop. :lol: For some reason, K-Pop male acts tend to put heavy makeup as their stage image - just like how Prince put makeup or how Bruno put makeup when he did a tribute to Prince.

And idk what you mean by 'camp' but male Koreans in general, straight or not, are very touchy with each other - it's like a normal thing there.
Yes, "camp" is basically men who are effeminate with their mannerisms. :P Although straight males who are comfortable with their sexuality can equally be "camp" too. :lol:
JakeP
Superstar

Postby jpguy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:45 pm

That's part of Korean culture, Asians actually, I'm not saying ALL of them but it's a known thing this campy style is what sells over there, and it's actually the same in Japan :lol: :lol: :lol: the "cute" concept :lol:
::: Christina Aguilera - Liberation IS COMING 6.15.18 :::
jpguy
Legend

Postby Serby » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:16 pm

abi wrote:^Urgh stop it you both judging BTS's whole discography solely based on this one is like judging Beyonce's whole career only by "7/11". :lol:
Are you shading 7/11? Cuz I'd stan ha way more if she was more like that bop tbh. Bad example. :lol:

Andnlawd at 50 mi in 24h. :lol: Remember when 10 milli in a day was record breaking. :lol:
be kind to every kind
Serby
Dr. Serby

Postby abi » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:08 am

jpguy wrote:That's part of Korean culture, Asians actually, I'm not saying ALL of them but it's a known thing this campy style is what sells over there, and it's actually the same in Japan :lol: :lol: :lol: the "cute" concept :lol:
*Correction: East Asia (Korea, Japan, Taiwan, China) & parts of mainland SE Asia (Thailand, Vietnam) specifically.

Asian is really a broad culture. For example, in Indonesia, Malaysia, India & Saudi Arabia we certainly do not look like that. :lol:
abi
Legend

Postby abi » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:09 am

Serby wrote:
abi wrote:^Urgh stop it you both judging BTS's whole discography solely based on this one is like judging Beyonce's whole career only by "7/11". :lol:
Are you shading 7/11? Cuz I'd stan ha way more if she was more like that bop tbh. Bad example. :lol:
Ewww at your taste. :lol:

I was just saying "Idol" does not represent BTS's whole discography the same way "7/11" doesn't.
abi
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:33 am

I like this.
Franklin’s music profoundly touched and changed the world, because over and over it offered that bridge to salvation, to freedom.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby zs3088 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:36 am

I like checking this guy out because he sure knows how to explain it better than I will ever understand:

zs3088
Roadie

Postby abi » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:00 pm

^Though I have to say some of the fan theories are definitely reaching, the detail they always put in most of their recent videos is pretty crazy.
abi
Legend

Postby xtofer » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:18 pm

abi wrote:
jpguy wrote:That's part of Korean culture, Asians actually, I'm not saying ALL of them but it's a known thing this campy style is what sells over there, and it's actually the same in Japan :lol: :lol: :lol: the "cute" concept :lol:
*Correction: East Asia (Korea, Japan, Taiwan, China) & parts of mainland SE Asia (Thailand, Vietnam) specifically.

Asian is really a broad culture. For example, in Indonesia, Malaysia, India & Saudi Arabia we certainly do not look like that. :lol:
This could be traced back to the the influence of Japanese manga, the bishonen in particular, wherein the lead men where beautiful boys. These were popular (usually, fantasized) among Japanese girls and got its way to its neighboring countries, particularly Korea, through the emergence of K-dramas (some of which are based on mangas) and the images of male popstars as well. In China, there is a term "fairy boy", used to describe beautiful youthful boys.
xtofer
Legend

Postby jpguy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:27 am

I agree, this whole style certainly derived by Japanese Manga
jpguy
Legend

Postby Colbie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:40 pm

First live performance:
Colbie
Superstar

Postby xtofer » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:00 pm

ah the suits <3 gotta love Jin's overall outfit, the explosion of colors just fits the festive vibe of the song and it stood for having a different pattern. plus, that plain white hoodie underneath.

This was definitely made to perform live! I love hearing this sung live, as the unnecessary autotune in the studio version just irks me.
xtofer
Legend

Postby abi » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:53 am

Finally a live performance. :P It's really nice.
abi
Legend

Postby Colbie » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:48 am

I personally like the background in this performance better
Colbie
Superstar

Postby JimJim » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:14 am

toni_pest wrote:they are being forced more than tori kelly and camila these last few years.
This is soooo true! :lol: Whoever does their marketing deserves an award, I've gone from never having heard of them to 100% saturation of my newsfeed in the space of a few months. I swear Billboard post about them six times a day.
JimJim
Elusive Chanteuse

Postby abi » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:05 am

^It's the power of their fans. Posting something about them will guarantee you hundred thousands of views, clicks, retweets & likes - that's why they do it.
abi
Legend

Postby jpguy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:37 pm

abi wrote:^It's the power of their fans. Posting something about them will guarantee you hundred thousands of views, clicks, retweets & likes - that's why they do it.
Yup!
It's not even the label for God's sake. The social media presence and their fans is massive, I was checking out Nicki Minaj's RTs and likes on Twitter and she averaged 12k, 23k, 40k but when she posted the snippet of BTS's Idol she amazed 500k in Less than 12 hours :lol: :lol:
jpguy
Legend

Postby zs3088 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:29 pm

Yeah, I think its definitely the social media than helped them breakthrough worldwide. Its the same reason how One Direction managed to break USA. This is why I find it silly when people compare new boybands with old boybands and they sometimes brag how new ones are more popular. Thats really not a fair comparison since there wasn't even Youtube, let alone Facebook or Twitter :lol:

Anyway, Idol has really grown on me, its a very catchy song ands its even better live when you see them dancing on stage.
zs3088
Roadie

Postby abi » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:30 am

#11 on Billboard Hot 100.

Just missed the top 10 urgh.
abi
Legend

Postby zs3088 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:26 pm

zs3088
Roadie

Return to Pop