Robyn - Honey

Moderators: Spartan, urbanmusik

Postby urbanmusik » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:22 am

Robyn is finally gearing up to release her song Honey after premiering an earlier version of the track on HBO's Girls 18 months ago. She filmed a music video for the track today, so expect to hear things in the near(ish) future.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby Debs_Wild » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:53 pm

The New York Times wrote:Image

IN THE END, Robyn couldn’t have called the new album anything but “Honey.” You may have heard the name of that song as early as 2017, when it underscored a scene on “Girls.” The show’s creator and star, Ms. Dunham, had reached out to see if Robyn would contribute music to the final season; Robyn sent her options, and an early, busier, techno-ier version of “Honey” was the winner. Fans seized on the song immediately and started demanding that Robyn finish it: Variations on #ReleaseHoneyDammit became a running online plea and gag.

Robyn saw the messages. But she was far from done with “Honey.” The track became a white whale for her: She just couldn’t put it down.

Though she’s written many songs that stand at the crossroads of pop and club music, Robyn knew where she wanted “Honey” to be planted. “It’s not produced or written as a normal pop song,” she said. “It is totally based on this idea of club music.” Both genres come with their own mode of listening, she argued. “When you’re listening to club music, there’s no reward,” she said. “The reward isn’t, ‘Oh, here’s the chorus, here’s the lyric that makes sense.’ You have to enjoy what it is. You have to enjoy that there’s no conclusion.”

“Club music taught me so much about myself,” she added. “Having patience, or appreciating a different type of way of taking in life. That to me is like, what ‘Off the Wall’ is. Or ‘I Feel Love’ or ‘Rock Your Baby’ with George McCrae.” (She later added Kate Bush’s “Running Up That Hill” to the list.) “It’s a hypnotic thing. Time stops, and I don’t even think about where I am when I hear music like that. That’s the high that I want,” she said, and laughed heartily. “That’s what I need.”

Robyn worked on “Honey” longer than any other song she’s ever written and “really drove Joseph and Klas crazy,” she said.

Mr. Mount compared it to the endless making of the Beatles’ “Maxwell’s Silver Hammer.” But “It felt like the linchpin of the whole thing,” he added.

She had played me the song in March, and she blasted it at the Robyn dance party following her Q. and A. in New York in May. But this was August: “Honey” had evolved.

Robyn hurried into her home studio (pink floor, mirrored wall, snapshot of herself and Danny DeVito at Coachella over the desk), then dashed off into another room and returned, ripping the packaging off a brand-new pair of headphones. She bent over a pair of digital turntables, her eyes closed, adjusting knobs and dancing in place. She played a Michael Jackson remix, and “Purple Music,” an unreleased Prince song from 1982. “What’s a better way to spend a Saturday?” she asked.

When it was time for “Honey,” she turned the volume up even higher and fiddled at the mixer for a bit, then sat down on a gold chair.

The song’s woozy cocoon enveloped us, its heartbeat thumping in our hair, our nails, our feet. Sounds strutted across the room, some joining the blend, some ghosting as quickly as they arrived. “No, you’re not gonna get what you need,” her voice sang from the speakers. “But baby, I have what you want. Come get your honey.” It was overwhelming, gauzy and beautiful.

It was its own reward.
Sauce
Debs_Wild
Manager

Postby urbanmusik » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:53 pm

Premieres this evening. Should be on streaming services etc shortly after.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby WakeUpMusic » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:03 pm

can´t wait for this!!
Welcome to the underworld
Where the love's at first sight
The kind that we like
Under, under, under, underworld
WakeUpMusic
Manager

Postby beredy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:18 pm

Ooooh!
beredy
Manager

Postby Loose » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:25 pm

Oh that’s in 5 minutes.
It's handled. (Olivia Pope)
Loose
Legend

Postby xtofer » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:26 pm

xtofer
Legend

Postby xtofer » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:33 pm

xtofer
Legend

Postby Debs_Wild » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:52 pm

It's worse than Missing You. :-?
Debs_Wild
Manager

Postby xtofer » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:18 pm

It's totally different from the earlier version but I like that this one is just chill and atmospheric.
xtofer
Legend

Postby CrazyCrazy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:20 pm

I love ‘Honey’, not heard the other song yet.
CrazyCrazy
Legend

Postby Loose » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:49 pm

Honey >>>>>>>>>> Missing U

This is a hit! In a subtle way. It‘s for the quiet and sesual moments.

Impeccable.
Loose
Legend

Postby Erotica » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:47 pm

It's not as exciting as I hoped it would be after all the critical acclaim.
I am not trying to seduce you... Would you like me to seduce you? Is that what you're trying to tell me?
Erotica
Legend

Postby jszmiles » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:01 pm

wow! if the album is in this style, I will defo get the LP! Subtle, gentle piece of electronic music. I love it!
jszmiles
Legend

Postby heppolo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:25 pm

too long, 4 minutes would have been enough
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Jesper » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:38 am

jszmiles wrote:wow! if the album is in this style, I will defo get the LP! Subtle, gentle piece of electronic music. I love it!
Agreed
Jesper
Legend

Postby ArmyOfMe » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:07 am

talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show-stopping, spectacular, totally unique
ArmyOfMe
Superstar

Postby LotsOfLove » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:08 am

Much better than Missing U!
LotsOfLove
Manager

Postby urbanmusik » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:46 am

heppolo wrote:too long, 4 minutes would have been enough
You can use the radio edit then.

Incredible song. I love how immersive the production feels. Robyn's better than ever (and slightly distant) vocals only make it better.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby johnny_d » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:54 am

This time around her songs are not quite as instant for me. It took me a few listens to fall in love with Missing You.

First listen of Honey and I wasn’t too overwhelmed. Just finished my second listen and it’s absolutely gorgeous.

It’s just taking a little while longer for the songs to click than usual but they’re fab. God I love Robyn.
Remember us in AmenJena...

...If we could just go back to the start
johnny_d
Manager

Postby urbanmusik » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:09 am

BEST NEW TRACK

Before its proper release today, “Honey” was a thing of legend—long-rumored and wondered-about after an early version of the track closed an episode of “Girls” a year and a half ago. That tease, and others, ignited the imaginations of Robyn’s fans, an unusually benevolent clique who are nonetheless used to hearing what they want to hear right **** now: Soon enough, #ReleaseHoneyDammit became a slogan to rally around. But Robyn does not capitulate. She knows what she needs to do, and works on her time and no one else’s. It’s right there in this song’s opening lines: “No, you’re not gonna get what you need/But baby, I have what you want.”

So this “Honey” is not the same one from “Girls,” not quite. There’s more air, more room for her voice to echo and decay into the void. It’s still a Robyn Banger—a souped-up distillation of classic house’s bittersweet throb and wail—but its sights are set both further and deeper; instead of a perfect snapshot of a single tear on the dancefloor, “Honey” unfurls like a sweeping vista of desire. There is an undeniable lust here, powerful in its maturity. The Ohio Players and Mariah Carey have schooled us on the sexiness of honey, and metaphysical lines here about a flower “stuck in little strings of saliva” make you wonder what’s happening just outside of the frame on Robyn’s new album cover. “Honey” is also about the primal pleasure of music, of a bass-kick heartbeat that sounds like it’ll never stop. Robyn once again offers us immortality, at least for a few minutes.
Completely deserved.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby beredy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:06 am

This works for me. A LOT.

I was a bit scared because when Honey first premiered on Girls it sounded like crap to me. Luckily this has nothing to do with whatever she provided them with back then.
beredy
Manager

Postby jszmiles » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:58 pm

wow, good to see a positive review on Pitchfork. Didn't expect them to like it.
jszmiles
Legend

Postby beredy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:59 pm

jszmiles wrote:wow, good to see a positive review on Pitchfork. Didn't expect them to like it.
Pitchfork has been stanning Robyn since forever. No surprise there. Even if it wasn't BNT they would still give her a good review.

Robyn 8.2
Body Talk Pt. 1 8.5
Body Talk Pt. 2 8.0
Body Talk 8.7
beredy
Manager

Postby Loose » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:50 pm

This will be her grown-up atmospheric album with no obvious hits.
Loose
Legend

Return to Pop