Clean Bandit - Baby (feat. Marina & Luis Fonsi)

Moderators: Spartan, urbanmusik

Postby Vindrag » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:15 am

This is interesting and fresh! Impressed!
And Marina's vocals are divine, no one like her!
Luc

I have hatred towards the entire world,
and you are no exception
Vindrag
Legend

Postby KokoCollino » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:09 am

This is much more commercial than Gayconnect.
Looks like I found my way home
KokoCollino
Superstar

Postby spiritboy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:15 am

This is very summery, they should've released this in July/August.
Mariah saved Xmas and Gaga is saving Pop and Hollywood.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:17 am

Marina does give an indie feel to everything.
I enjoy it I think. Glad it's not predictable
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby ludichris » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:26 am

spiritboy wrote:This is very summery, they should've released this in July/August.
My thoughts exactly when listening. This is being released during the wrong season, which may or may not impact it's success. Disconnect is a better song and I'm still disappointed it didn't get any push but this will do.
Last edited by ludichris on Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ludichris
Manager

Postby beredy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:26 am

When I opened the video it was at 26 views :lol:

Meh song. This is quite possibly the cleanest vocal delivery by Marina ever. But there's basically no chorus and Luis Autotunsi mess is terrible. Reminds me of those latin/dance trash songs that popped up in the 90's and somehow managed to be successful. I don't see why they released this song now. It's totally wrong for this time of you. Wouldn't be surprised if it bombed completely.
beredy
Manager

Postby Ewokguy15 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:30 am

ludichris wrote:
spiritboy wrote:This is very summery, they should've released this in July/August.
My thoughts exactly when listening. This is being released during the wrong season, which may or may not impact it's success. Disconnect is a better song and I'm still disappointed it didn't get any push but this will do.
It’s summer on one side of the world at a time so there isn’t really a right time to release a single.
Ewokguy15
Superstar

Postby KokoCollino » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:34 pm

Wasn’t Despacito released during European winter too?
Looks like I found my way home
KokoCollino
Superstar

Postby BeeBoy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:42 pm

Ewokguy15 wrote:
ludichris wrote:
It’s summer on one side of the world at a time so there isn’t really a right time to release a single.
True but the northern hemisphere is inhabited by more people especially if you consider the buying market. most of the southern hemisphere doesn't even get really cold in winter, so they are right in a way.
Don't like the song anyhow. cannot see this becoming a hit. It's bland. Production seems dated and Luis' and Marina's voice don't really compliment each other
BeeBoy
Manager

Postby beredy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:44 pm

KokoCollino wrote:Wasn’t Despacito released during European winter too?
Releasing a summer vibe song in January (though Despacito peaked later when Bieber remix was released and wasn't an immediate WW smash, but let's say that doesn't matter now) and in the beginning of November isn't reallly the same thing. You can't go with this type of a song when people go to festive mood and radios start playing recurrents and hits from last year. There's also Christmas freeze etc... It's a completely wrong time for a song like this.
beredy
Manager

Postby beredy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:48 pm

Ewokguy15 wrote:
ludichris wrote:
That's a cute remark, but you should very well know that when it comes to music and global releases as far as seasons go Northern hemisphere is the one artists plan for when it comes to summery sounding singles or wintery singles. It's just about bigger markets and that's a fact.
beredy
Manager

Postby toni_pest » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:10 pm

its nice, but i could live without fonsi
:)
toni_pest
Coming Soon

Postby bluecherry » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:25 pm

People don’t care about seasons anymore. Dance songs are hits in winter nowadays.
♡ i bloom just for you ♡

bluecherry
Manager

Postby heppolo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:29 pm

toni_pest wrote:its nice, but i could live without fonsi
he kinda ruins the song, but it's a desperate measure in order to get those streaming numbers.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Carbon » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:40 pm

Idk how I feel about this. On one hand it sounds so summery and breezy, on the other hand the structure is a bit weird, I'm not sure if it's catchy enough for generic mainstream audiences and of course, Fonsi sucks.

They totally missed the season with this release and I really hope it doesn't damage the song's performance. Hopefully the addition of Fonsi won't ruin the quality in vain and the song will perform better because of it.
Carbon
Legend

Postby Thriller » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:17 pm

Rockabye did fine and that was released in the winter.

I must be in the minority but I really love it - Marina's voice sounds divine. I could do without Luis Fonsi talking all over her at the end though. Great video too, interesting that Starley is in there!
Thriller

Postby Carbon » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:30 pm

After a few more listens and watching the video, I like it a lot more. Aside from Fonsi, the song sounds so enchanting
Carbon
Legend

Postby Ferris » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:53 pm

I really like it. Plenty of songs like this have been released during autumn/winter, it's really nothing out of the ordinary. These kind of uplifting tracks work all year round. In the colder months they give you those summery feels for a bit, which is always welcome this time of year.
Ferris
Manager

Postby urbanmusik » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:00 am

I'm obsessed with this. It's insanely catchy and Marina's vocal is gorgeous. This song has enough melancholy that it sounds like an end of summer/post-summer track (not that that matters in 2018 as other posters have pointed out).

The video compliments the song perfectly, I love the story.

I don't get why people are wishing Disconnect was a single over this, as good as that song is it screams b-side/fan favourite track that misses the top 40 when released.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby heppolo » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:00 am

urbanmusik wrote:I don't get why people are wishing Disconnect was a single over this, as good as that song is it screams b-side/fan favourite track that misses the top 40 when released.
It doesn't have this annoying Luis Fonsi feature (btw, ''Despacito'' was not that big of a hit until they threw Bieber into the mix).
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby urbanmusik » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:32 am

heppolo wrote:
urbanmusik wrote:I don't get why people are wishing Disconnect was a single over this, as good as that song is it screams b-side/fan favourite track that misses the top 40 when released.
It doesn't have this annoying Luis Fonsi feature (btw, ''Despacito'' was not that big of a hit until they threw Bieber into the mix).
Luis Fonsi suits this song. Besides, that’s not what I was getting at. Luis was put on to get Latin streaming numbers, not because he’s any sort of chart force. Baby is infinitely catchier than Disconnect, which is far too low-key for radio.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby Ewokguy15 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:22 am

beredy wrote:
Ewokguy15 wrote:
ludichris wrote:
That's a cute remark, but you should very well know that when it comes to music and global releases as far as seasons go Northern hemisphere is the one artists plan for when it comes to summery sounding singles or wintery singles. It's just about bigger markets and that's a fact.
Doesn’t the Southern Hemisphere Deserve a quality Summer Anthem from time to time? :D
Ewokguy15
Superstar

Postby Benjamin » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:50 am

heppolo wrote:
Wrong. 'Despacito' was already huge before the Bieber version in the Latin markets. That's the markets they were aiming for to begin with. Obviously it only became a hit in the non-Latin world when the Bieber version was released. That's no reason to discredit 'Despacito's success though.

I really like Fonsi on 'Baby'. Him and Marina are a weird combination, but somehow it works for me.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby JakeP » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:39 am

Benjamin wrote:I really like Fonsi on 'Baby'. Him and Marina are a weird combination, but somehow it works for me.
That's the beauty of Clean Bandit. I remember when i read about Anne-Marie and Sean Paul being the featured artists on Rockabye and i sighed. I ended up loving the song as soon as i heard it though. :lol:

I also agree with urbanmusik. Baby is a lot more radio friendly than Disconnect and judging by how pop songs peak in the UK weeks after release, maybe this will be the big christmas hit nobody was expecting. :lol:
JakeP
Superstar

Postby jszmiles » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:33 am

as a huge Marina fan, I am completely disappointed.... Disconnect is far better than this
jszmiles
Legend

Return to Pop