Ariana Grande - thank u, next

Moderators: Spartan, urbanmusik

Postby RayRay » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:52 pm

Loveguru wrote:you can't be racist to white people...
That's really an ignorant thing to say. I went on holiday to Curaçao where most people are black. My husband was called names because he is white.

Also, when I used to live there, I saw for myself how white people had to wait in line at shops, while black people were helped first.

Black people can be racist as well. If you think otherwise you should really educate yourself.
RayRay
Legend

Postby KEY9481 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:57 pm

RayRay wrote:
That's really an ignorant thing to say. I went on holiday to Curaçao where most people are black. My husband was called names because he is white.

Also, when I used to live there, I saw for myself how white people had to wait in line at shops, while black people were helped first.

Black people can be racist as well. If you think otherwise you should really educate yourself.
Oh my God.

Yeah, don't deserve my time and energy.
5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016 / 7.14.2018 / 7.15.2018
KEY9481
Manager

Postby Goldmoney » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:00 pm

Tragic
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby RayRay » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:00 pm

^ I am lucky to be mixed race. But I've seen it time and time again, you can be racist to white people. What is so shocking about that?
RayRay
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:07 pm

That’s like saying you can be homophobic towards straight people :-?
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby RayRay » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:08 pm

Goldmoney wrote:That’s like saying you can be homophobic towards straight people :-?
If there was a country with 90% gay people, it would be possible to be "against" straight people.
RayRay
Legend

Postby Mikerocha » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:15 pm

RayRay wrote:
Goldmoney wrote:That’s like saying you can be homophobic towards straight people :-?
If there was a country with 90% gay people, it would be possible to be "against" straight people.
We haven’t declared our country “Homolandia”... yet. But we will.
“B**** come here! B**** come here! B**** come here!”

“I’m staying right here.”
Mikerocha
Superstar

Postby Mainshow » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:15 pm

Definition of "RACISM" [Longman Dictionary]:
1. unfair treatment of people, or violence against them, because they belong to a different race from your own
2 the belief that some races of people are better than other races
source: https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/racism

Racism doesn't belong to white people only. Other ethnicities can have racist members within their communities as well.
Even though white people are probably less affected, we should overthrow our US American and European centric views.

The provided definition clearly states that the act of racism is not attached to a certain race only. It depends on the individuals and the community they live in.

If we look into a few recent events in South Africa and Namibia, white people can be effect by racist acts as well... or think of Armenia VS Azerbaijan. They hate each other because of politics, history, languages, cultural heritage, music, etc.

Plus, there can also be acts of racism among white ppl as well (think of some British people treating Polish and Lithuanian migrants after Brexit) or the Slavic and Ex-Soviet countries are very diverse and complex as well and you can find many instances of racism towards various ethnicities.

It really depends on the dominating society within a community/country.

However, racism is ugly and unacceptable anyway and shouldn't be tolerated.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby jio » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:31 pm

I just came here to say that I love the song and I have no idea what you guys are talking about BUT... the song is so good. Not as good as NTLTC and GIAW but a very deserving #1 as payback for the fact that those 2 songs undeservedly missed the top spot.
jio
Legend

Postby Pompeii » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:54 pm

RayRay wrote:

That's prejudice and discrimination, not racism. Racism isn't just an attitude that people carry around within themselves. It's systematic and institutional, not just a string of individual racist acts.

You are obviously entitled to speak up in instances where you are being mistreated or wronged, just don't link yourself to Black people when doing so. It's a ridiculous and ignorant comparison. The words "reverse racism" are thrown around so loosely, you'd almost think it was a real thing. Prejudice is absolutely a real thing, and is something that any and all races are subjected to. But racism? Not so much.
Pompeii
Legend

Postby RayRay » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:59 pm

Pompeii wrote:
RayRay wrote:

That's prejudice and discrimination, not racism. Racism isn't just an attitude that people carry around within themselves. It's systematic and institutional, not just a string of individual racist acts.

You are obviously entitled to speak up in instances where you are being mistreated or wronged. Just don't link yourself to Black people when doing so. Prejudice is absolutely a real thing, and is something that any and all races are subjected to. But racism? Not so much.
First of all, I didn't link myself to black people (although I'm not white). And yes, racism may "not so much" be the case against white people, but it does happen. The thing is, most people here come from countries where black people are a minority. It's like Mainshow pointed out. There are countries where white people are a minority.
RayRay
Legend

Postby Thriller » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:04 pm

This discussion, that appears to be going around in circles, is not relevant to this song.
Thriller

Postby urbanmusik » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:06 pm

Ariana is back in the studio with Max Martin and Savan Kotecha. Possibly re-working or adding songs to the album (unless the video is old and they were already involved)?
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby BeeBoy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:11 pm

huh the caption says it's the piano they used in NTLTC? so it must be old?
BeeBoy
Manager

Postby Jesper » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:11 pm

Well Ariana is always in the studio, so could be for future music aswell and If it is recent, I am not suprised Whether he is involved or not. Though I wish Ilya was there though, he delivered Some gems on Sweetener. But could be old af aswell :lol:
Jesper
Legend

Postby urbanmusik » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:14 pm

I thought that was just Ariana goofing around, although I guess it could be a throwback from the Sweetener sessions.
urbanmusik
The College Dropout

Postby RayRay » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:42 pm

I hope he is involved on the new album.
As the albums are so close to one another, I think she must have been working on some songs already when she was recording Sweetner.
RayRay
Legend

Postby SholasBoy » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:12 pm

I can't see this album still coming out in 2018?
SholasBoy
Chief Wig Snatcher

Postby Mikerocha » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:15 pm

SholasBoy wrote:I can't see this album still coming out in 2018?
If she is still working on it and only now we got a video for the song, maybe early next year... or she will beyonce it and drop it on Xmas or New Year's eve.
“B**** come here! B**** come here! B**** come here!”

“I’m staying right here.”
Mikerocha
Superstar

Postby Thriller » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:22 pm

She should change the name, the single has been too big.
Thriller

Postby Mainshow » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:30 pm

Thriller wrote:She should change the name, the single has been too big.
"...Baby One More Time", "Oops!...I Did It Again", "Music" say hi.
Since Ariana is referring to all those 00s movies, it's another nice 00s feature <3
Mainshow
Legend

Postby RayRay » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:33 pm

SholasBoy wrote:I can't see this album still coming out in 2018?
I believe I read somewhere it is coming on Friday.
Would be a good decision as Ariana is hot right now.
RayRay
Legend

Postby GetBack » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:25 am

I'm so glad this video treatment was not wasted on a filler Pharrell track! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Imagine if this masterpiece was for all those non Max Martin Sweetener songs, she would have just peaked in Top 20 to Top 40 during the video premiere week and dropped out or much worse, get another "The Light is Coming" flop bop situation. :oops: :oops:

Her team really knows how to listen to the fandom. Glad she also stayed in the pop lane. :D :D
GetBack
Legend

Postby Jesper » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:42 am

GetBack wrote:I'm so glad this video treatment was not wasted on a filler Pharrell track! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Imagine if this masterpiece was for all those non Max Martin Sweetener songs, she would have just peaked in Top 20 to Top 40 during the video premiere week and dropped out or much worse, get another "The Light is Coming" flop bop situation. :oops: :oops:

Her team really knows how to listen to the fandom. Glad she also stayed in the pop lane. :D :D
Can you stop? You keep repeating the same things. We get it, you don't like the Pharrell producer tracks on Sweetener, but enough is enough. This thread isn't about Sweetener anyways. This is about the new album and with the Weird discussion and derailing you caused on the last page, it is better to stay on topic in your case, instead of another round of childish trolling.

So to get back OT, i wonder when this well be out, the succes of TY,N must be overwhelming so i can imagine a more traditional roll out, instead of the first expected suprise-esque release.
Jesper
Legend

Postby Loose » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:08 am

Is this thing ever going to be released this year?
It's handled. (Olivia Pope)
Loose
Legend

Return to Pop