Ariana Grande - thank u, next

Moderators: Spartan, urbanmusik

Postby borneoman » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:07 am

IMAGINE is so-so, album filler
borneoman
Personal Assistant

Postby spiritboy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:57 am

If Pharrell is involved, she can keep it.
Mariah saved Xmas and Gaga is saving Pop and Hollywood.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby JakeP » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:53 am

spiritboy wrote:If Pharrell is involved, she can keep it.
Yes hopefully the record label will have learned that the potential for Sweetener was wasted.
JakeP
Superstar

Postby Jesper » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:17 pm

JakeP wrote:
spiritboy wrote:If Pharrell is involved, she can keep it.
Yes hopefully the record label will have learned that the potential for Sweetener was wasted.
Wasted on what? The album is her most cohesive piece so far, they released the amount of singles they originally wanted and Pharrell is the reason she dealt with the Manchester aftermath and other stuff through her craft which became the main themes of Sweetener and this album seems to continue at the point Sweetener ended. And overall the reviews also were great and still holds up well on metacritic. Hate on Pharrell or Sweetener all you want but it is a great peak into her career and the era extended into getting her first number one into the US, with the first single of this upcoming album

And if Imagine and TU, N are anything to go by, this upcoming album era willonly the beginning of even greater things to come :D
Jesper
Legend

Postby Tansike » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:20 pm

Yes, the Pharrell songs wouldn't have worked as singles, but they're the reason why "Sweetener" is so cohesive. I adore the singles so much, but I don't want an album full of "No Tears", "God Is A Woman" or "Breathin", that would be yet another "My Everything" and even though that one had some amazing tunes, it didn't feel like an album to me, more like a best of compilation.
Tansike
Legend

Postby Mainshow » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:52 pm

I don't get those "points", tbh.

If Ariana releases an album of songs such as "No Tears Left To Cry", "Breathing" and "God Is A Woman", that album will be cohesive as well since all songs share the same vibe somehow. Or does being cohesive only apply to urban midtempo tracks?

Moreover, I don't get why some pop fans are so focused on an album being cohesive in terms of the sound of songs. Being cohesive doesn't mean that an artist will release an album produced by one producer with tracks on it sounding pretty much alike. Cohesiveness can be created by thematically linked tracks as well or that there is a progression in the sound thorough the album or the album itself is a concept album.

"Circus" by Britney Spears sounds cohesive as well even though it's a mixed bag since it combines all pop influences and factors which made her a pop star whilst staying true to her sound. Like a Circus, it was a fun ride through different stages of her career. It still fell pretty much well-integrated into the whole theme.

"Sweetener" was a good album but personally I think that most of the Pharrell tracks were pretty much underwhelming bu it doesn't men that he didn't create a bunch of good tracks on the album (imp those are "The Light Is Coming", "Get Well Soon" and "Better Off").

Anyway, can't wait to get new music by Ariana next year ;)
Mainshow
Legend

Postby Jesper » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:58 pm

^
At this point it is just tired to see so much Pharrell hate. You made some points though.
I mean I go by Ariana's own words
Speaking to Paper magazine, she said: “Overall, [Pharrell] kind of forced it out of me because I was in a really bad place mentally. I’ve always had anxiety, I’ve had anxiety for years. But when I got home from tour it reached a very different, intense peak.

“[Pharrell] was like, ‘You have to write about it. You need to make this into music and get this sh*t out, and I promise it will heal you’, and it definitely helped.”
And it seems that he is the one who also put Sweetener as album thematically on track. I really think every track on Sweetener had a purpose, whether it was to speak towards the themes.

I mean to go back on topic. I think she is on fire, and this album will be an ever bigger step up. I love the vibe she has going on and I adore both Imagine and Thank U, Next. I am curious to see how the rest of the album is build up and what the next step is visually as well. I adore the visual direction of the Sweetener era and the TU, N video also was a winner for me. I hope she uses more of her vocal abilities on this album as well though. The only thing I missed on Sweetener was a more big kind of ballad.
Jesper
Legend

Postby Gravity » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:18 pm

If her first #1 is anything to go by, she should work with her friend Victoria Monet more, not waste her talent & money on Pharrell & Max Martin camp.

Personally, I wanted a project done just with these girls and some lowkey producers, not because I hate :roll: Pharrell, but because it's nice to see what Ariana sounds like free of big pop expectations.
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby ludichris » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:46 pm

Tansike wrote:I adore the singles so much, but I don't want an album full of "No Tears", "God Is A Woman" or "Breathin", that would be yet another "My Everything" and even though that one had some amazing tunes, it didn't feel like an album to me, more like a best of compilation.
Why? :-? That would be the Pop album of the decade! That's exactly what I want from her! Hit after hit and no more fillerish album tracks just killer single worthy tracks. I don't care about cohesiveness if it means we get the best material on offer.
ludichris
Manager

Postby RayRay » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:57 pm

Tansike wrote:Yes, the Pharrell songs wouldn't have worked as singles, but they're the reason why "Sweetener" is so cohesive. I adore the singles so much, but I don't want an album full of "No Tears", "God Is A Woman" or "Breathin", that would be yet another "My Everything" and even though that one had some amazing tunes, it didn't feel like an album to me, more like a best of compilation.
I love albums that sound like best of compilations. Unfortunately Ariana doesn't have one yet IMO.
RayRay
Legend

Postby RayRay » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:59 pm

ludichris wrote:
Tansike wrote:I adore the singles so much, but I don't want an album full of "No Tears", "God Is A Woman" or "Breathin", that would be yet another "My Everything" and even though that one had some amazing tunes, it didn't feel like an album to me, more like a best of compilation.
Why? :-? That would be the Pop album of the decade! That's exactly what I want from her! Hit after hit and no more fillerish album tracks just killer single worthy tracks. I don't care about cohesiveness if it means we get the best material on offer.
I agree completely. Who cares for filler album tracks?
RayRay
Legend

Postby westhammer » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:37 am

Totally agree, the Pharrell tracks sound dated and tired, I love how people on here are being called haters but all I see is Pharrell stans! Sweetener was a very disappointing album for me with minimal replay value, nothing compared to the epic DW

Bring forth TUN; the first 2 songs have been epic! Praying for no Pharrell
You say that I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so Bitt-er
westhammer
Legend

Postby JakeP » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:51 am

westhammer wrote:Totally agree, the Pharrell tracks sound dated and tired, I love how people on here are being called haters but all I see is Pharrell stans! Sweetener was a very disappointing album for me with minimal replay value, nothing compared to the epic DW

Bring forth TUN; the first 2 songs have been epic! Praying for no Pharrell
I can only agree with the last few comments, they've all pretty much summed up the reasons why i also find Sweetener so disappointing. :( I want to hear amazing songs, not be sat there waiting for the song to start...and then it finishes and i'm like :-? lol
JakeP
Superstar

Postby Gravity » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:48 am

At the end of the day, she can't please everybody.

I still think Victoria is her best collaborator though - Honeymoon Avenue, My Everything Intro, Let Me Love You, I Don't Care...nuff said.
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby thankfulforkelly » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:55 am

westhammer wrote:all I see is Pharrell stans!
Pharrell has stans? :lol:
Reaching your lemon
Say you're reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Superstar

Postby Jesper » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:03 pm

thankfulforkelly wrote:
westhammer wrote:all I see is Pharrell stans!
Pharrell has stans? :lol:
Where are they in this thread though :lol:

Gravity wrote:At the end of the day, she can't please everybody.

I still think Victoria is her best collaborator though - Honeymoon Avenue, My Everything Intro, Let Me Love You, I Don't Care...nuff said.
Agreed
Jesper
Legend

Postby Damiennatas1 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:55 pm

Cohesive ≠ good.

And besides, the singles were quite different from the rest of the album so I’m not really getting those cohesive points people are making. I’m kinda hoping it’s the same for this album with better tracks than the two we’ve heard so far.
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby ThaInfo1 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:38 pm

Some folks like that album (sweetener), some (tasteless folks) don't.

I will say I do think she's done all she can do with Pharell (unless he's tryna give her something like Apeshit which I would die).

I think this will be good because I believe I read this is mainly produced by that Tommy guy, who produces all her Lush R&B material such as Honeymoon Avenue, I Don't Care etc. I hope that's true.

I think you sole Pop Ari Stans are gonna have a hard future with her. She's definitely doing a lot more R&B going forward from how she's been talking.
Serby wrote:Cuz you ugly and can't relate
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Damiennatas1 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:56 pm

ThaInfo1 wrote:I think you sole Pop Ari Stans are gonna have a hard future with her. She's definitely doing a lot more R&B going forward from how she's been talking.
She’s another in a very long queue of solo female to acts to go this route. We’ll get over it :wink:
Damiennatas1
Manager

Postby spiritboy » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:32 am

I don't mind Ariana going R&B as long as her songs have some Pop elements in it. So far i love the two songs she released from this album. But i also liked Sweetener singles and look how it turned out :lol:
Mariah saved Xmas and Gaga is saving Pop and Hollywood.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby beredy » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:10 pm

But she's only releasing proper pop songs as singles, while she keeps R&B flavoured ones as promo ones or album tracks. I think she's happy with this duality form and will keep a fine line between.

NTLTC, GIAW, breathin', TYN* are all pure pop songs.

TYN is Motown old-school R&B flavoured but in today's terms it's more of a pop sound than R&B (which ventures more into experimental, more beat oriented sound today).
beredy
Manager

Postby Guru » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:50 pm

She should seriously just release a tour Deluxe of Sweetener and add this with other new tracks that might be future singles.
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby abi » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:30 am

Ariana has always done both Pop and R&B ever since her debut album but knowing her team, they'd probably only release the Pop ones as the singles while the R&B songs remain as album tracks.

"God Is A Woman" is lowkey very R&B-esque though, it's just the chorus that's very Pop. I'm surprised they haven't tried to push any of her songs to Urban radio considering the amount of support she received from R&B & Urban fans this year.

Also, I don't like Sweetener (the album), but I really like the art direction & the aesthetic for that era (the music videos, the upside down text) so I'm a bit sad that she'll move on from that.
abi
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:05 pm

beredy wrote:But she's only releasing proper pop songs as singles, while she keeps R&B flavoured ones as promo ones or album tracks. I think she's happy with this duality form and will keep a fine line between.
I think you’re right and I don’t mind this at all.
Serby wrote:Cuz you ugly and can't relate
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby jpguy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:23 pm

She's using the same formula that made Mariah huge , pop with rnb tints
::: Christina Aguilera - Liberation IS COMING 6.15.18 :::
jpguy
Legend

Return to Pop