Zayn - Icarus Falls

Moderators: Spartan, urbanmusik

Postby Mainshow » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:41 pm

Tansike wrote:This made a surprisingly nice impression after the first spin. Let's see how i'll think after a few more spins...

Also 27 songs ain't that many with a length of 89 minutes. I mean I know albums with much less songs and the same length.
There are only two songs over 4:00, one of them is an interlude :D
The songs do feel a bit short but they ain't incomplete. - I am really surprised, too. I expected something of a less quality.
Mainshow
Legend

Postby stevyy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:16 am

why are like 6 songs from those 27 songs not on spotify?
stevyy
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:30 am

On first listen, this is okay, but he could've trimmed it to 10 songs.
Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby Marchum » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:08 pm

I’m listening to it right now while cooking my breakfast.
It’s good. Nothing too catchy yet tho. I’m hoping for yall to come up with a 10-12 tracklist so i can make that my playlist for this album lol
Marchum
Manager

Postby heppolo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:09 pm

spiritboy wrote:If i was his record label, i'd drop him as soon as they release this mess. He is simply a bad investment.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby menime123 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:04 pm

Mainshow wrote:
Tansike wrote:This made a surprisingly nice impression after the first spin. Let's see how i'll think after a few more spins...

Also 27 songs ain't that many with a length of 89 minutes. I mean I know albums with much less songs and the same length.
There are only two songs over 4:00, one of them is an interlude :D
The songs do feel a bit short but they ain't incomplete. - I am really surprised, too. I expected something of a less quality.
Shorter songs = more streams = more pay & better chart position.

God help us if this becomes a new trend in music :lol:
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby abi » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:02 am

Okay so, I've listened to the album three times and I have to say I'm very disappointed by it.

The first 1/3 of the album sounds like 1 looooooooooooooong R&B/Pop medley and most of them fall flat to me. It's all very bland and samey and I feel like he's playing it safe. And I'm honestly surprised the mysterious & sexy Alt-R&B vibes from Mind of Mine are barely present on this album except for "Fingers" & "Entertainers". It lacks of variation as well, he needs to work with different producers really. I would love to him to do some more straight up R&B, some Urban, some Retro-Disco/Pop, basically any other genres other than his usual Pop/R&B mid-tempo. He tried it with "Sour Diesel" which I appreciate but I want more.

Anyway, aside from the promo singles, my favorites from this album are "Common" (love this song so much, reminds me a lot of Chris Brown's "All Back") and "If I Got You" sounds like it could be a smash, reminds me a lot of "I Like Me Better" by Lauv. The rest still needs to grow on me.
abi
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:21 pm

Long and dull. I enjoyed his first album but wtf was this. He doesn’t have the appeal to make a 27 track album and still keep your attention (unless you stan, of course).

I kept like 5 songs
Serby wrote:Cuz you ugly and can't relate
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:34 pm

ThaInfo1 wrote:I kept like 5 songs
I kept six. :lol:
Akini's Top 25 Artists of 2018: [#1 Revealed!]

The broken world waits in darkness for the light that is you.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby mattsky » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:06 pm

such a boring album. Too long and repetitive.
Haven't been early since '88
mattsky
Superstar

Postby BeeBoy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:16 pm

abi wrote:Anyway, aside from the promo singles, my favorites from this album are "Common" (love this song so much, reminds me a lot of Chris Brown's "All Back")
I can see where you're coming from but it's All Back's ugly cousin at best :lol: :cry:
BeeBoy
Manager

Postby ludichris » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:36 pm

Out of the newer tracks I really enjoy Back to Life and There You Are. He desperately needed some diversity in the production on this because a lot of these songs are blending into one as there aren't enough midtempo/uptempo moments.
ludichris
Manager

Postby thankfulforkelly » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:52 am

Cba to listen. It took me a year to listen to his last album but in the end I enjoyed it, guess it’ll be the same with this one lmao
Reaching your lemon
Say you're reaching your lemon
Going over your lemon
thankfulforkelly
Superstar

Postby abidhaq » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:09 am

63 on mideeek charts in the UK :-? :-? :o
abidhaq
Superstar

Postby abi » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:21 am

^He deserves it tbh. To think that at one point he had the girls, the guys, R&B fans, Pop fans, the general public, everybody was rooting for him.
abi
Legend

Postby Marchum » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:56 am

Can yall tell me the best ones so i can make a playlist? I’m not into him that much and I’m very busy lately, I need it lol
Marchum
Manager

Postby abi » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:17 am

Marchum wrote:Can yall tell me the best ones so i can make a playlist? I’m not into him that much and I’m very busy lately, I need it lol
Not that much actually. :lol:

For me,

R&B:
"Fingers"
"Entertainer"
"Too Much"

Pop/R&B:
"Let Me"
"You Wish You Know"

Pop:
"Common"
"If I Got You"
"There You Are"

And voila! :lol:

Urgh to think that I thought I was gonna stan for this album to the point that I spammed his songs in some threads a few weeks ago.
abi
Legend

Postby abi » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:18 am

BeeBoy wrote:
abi wrote:Anyway, aside from the promo singles, my favorites from this album are "Common" (love this song so much, reminds me a lot of Chris Brown's "All Back")
I can see where you're coming from but it's All Back's ugly cousin at best :lol: :cry:
I mean, you made some points. :lol: But it's still a good song though, aside from the very bland production.
abi
Legend

Postby Marchum » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:20 am

abi wrote:
Marchum wrote:Can yall tell me the best ones so i can make a playlist? I’m not into him that much and I’m very busy lately, I need it lol
Not that much actually. :lol:

For me,

R&B:
"Fingers"
"Entertainer"
"Too Much"

Pop/R&B:
"Let Me"
"You Wish You Know"

Pop:
"Common"
"If I Got You"
"There You Are"

And voila! :lol:

Urgh to think that I thought I was gonna stan for this album to the point that I spammed his songs in some threads a few weeks ago.
Thanks boo.
Marchum
Manager

Postby crazycool » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:57 am

There's a great 12 track or so album in here, but it's all been watered down by the filler tracks. So many tracks were the production is identical to each other and his vocals sound too lazy. I was really hyped for this because I genuinely liked all the pre-release tracks. Dusk Til Dawn and Still Got Time should be on the regular edition to inject a bit of life into the album.
crazycool
Legend

Postby Ruthymon » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:36 pm

Via ShowBiz

So maybe releasing 27 tracks on a new album without a marketing plan isn’t such a good idea after all.

On Friday, former One Direction member Zayn Malik dropped his second solo album on digital platforms. “Icarus Falls” included six already released– and failed– singles. It also had three singles released in quick succession that didn’t take off.

According to Buzz Angle, which measures sales almost in real time, “Icarus Falls” has indeed fallen. It’s sold just under 1,400 copies. This is all digital — downloads and streaming. That’s because a physical CD won’t be out till this Friday.

Compare this to “Springsteen on Broadway,” the soundtrack to Bruce’s Netflix special and his Broadway show. “SoB” has sold 18,000 copies through Sunday night. And think how much marketing has gone into that release. A ton!

Zayn has no manager, and a non responsive publicist. He also has no back up at his label, RCA, which simply deferred to the outside publicist. Outside of appearing on Zane Lowe’s Apple radio show, our Zayn was not set up for morning or late night TV, radio appearance or anything else. There’s no lead single, no impact single, and no single period. Icarus’s wings may be melting, but he doesn’t have any hooks. As I wrote on Friday, “Icarus Falls” is a somber, mopey album.

I’m worried that Zayn is going to learn the hard way– he needs to tour, he needs PR and marketing, he needs help at radio. He needs social media help ASAP. Nothing has posted to his Twitter account all weekend.
Surprised, much?
Ruthymon
Superstar

Postby abi » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:03 am

I heard that some US Pop radio stations are boycotting his music ever since he canceled last minutes almost all of his interviews, hence why "Dusk Till Dawn" flopped so bad in the US even though it was huge internationally. Idk if it's true, but if that's the case, then try Rhythmic & Urban stations maybe. :lol:

I feel like as a public figure, Zayn is hella popular. He's on every magazine cover and everyone knows he's dating Gigi Hadid and stuff, so yeah he just needs to get his name out there in the music scene. Grab a couple features maybe, do some covers of popular R&B songs (I know he did Beyonce's "Me, Myself & I" but it was awful) and maybe release some mixtapes & unreleased tracks and stuff like that.
abi
Legend

Postby menime123 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:36 am

Ruthymon wrote:Via ShowBiz

So maybe releasing 27 tracks on a new album without a marketing plan isn’t such a good idea after all.

On Friday, former One Direction member Zayn Malik dropped his second solo album on digital platforms. “Icarus Falls” included six already released– and failed– singles. It also had three singles released in quick succession that didn’t take off.

According to Buzz Angle, which measures sales almost in real time, “Icarus Falls” has indeed fallen. It’s sold just under 1,400 copies. This is all digital — downloads and streaming. That’s because a physical CD won’t be out till this Friday.

Compare this to “Springsteen on Broadway,” the soundtrack to Bruce’s Netflix special and his Broadway show. “SoB” has sold 18,000 copies through Sunday night. And think how much marketing has gone into that release. A ton!

Zayn has no manager, and a non responsive publicist. He also has no back up at his label, RCA, which simply deferred to the outside publicist. Outside of appearing on Zane Lowe’s Apple radio show, our Zayn was not set up for morning or late night TV, radio appearance or anything else. There’s no lead single, no impact single, and no single period. Icarus’s wings may be melting, but he doesn’t have any hooks. As I wrote on Friday, “Icarus Falls” is a somber, mopey album.

I’m worried that Zayn is going to learn the hard way– he needs to tour, he needs PR and marketing, he needs help at radio. He needs social media help ASAP. Nothing has posted to his Twitter account all weekend.
Surprised, much?
He’s going to be dropped and most probably turn into the male Kate Bush - spend his life in a studio working on alternative, indie stuff he never bothers to perform.
NO MEN IN ME.
menime123
Legend

Postby ludichris » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:17 am

It seems completely pointless to create songs and just let waste away without any promotion whatsoever. Given that the majority of songs on this are mellow and growers I doubt any of them will take off on their own. I guess he doesn't want the public attention/fame anymore. But if I was worth £35 million like he reportedly is, I'd probably 'retire' early too!
ludichris
Manager

Postby abi » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:19 am

The album cover is animated on Spotify! It's actually kinda dope!
abi
Legend

Return to Pop