Beyoncé - Lemonade

Moderators: Benjamin, stevyy

Postby Hugo » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:11 am

1 year since the LEMONADE preview

It's also been one year since this thread's creation, you can relive the meltdowns from the first page.
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Jesper » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:29 am

The moment my heart stopped an other time and I got resurrected, only to have it stopped again with the actual movie :cry:
Jesper
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:07 pm

What an epic end to April of 2016. :cry:
SEE.sza.RUN
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby YouMakeMeFeel » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:19 am

Love Drought is still the best thing from this album to me. All Night is really good too.
Kylie Minogue, Garbage, Simply Red, Coldplay, U2, Janet Jackson, Nine Inch Nails, Tove Lo, Blue October, Godsmack
YouMakeMeFeel
Manager

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:00 am

This album is so fantastic. I still can't believe she's still recording near-masterpieces this far into her career. Only 4 tops this for me.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:01 pm

JSparksFan wrote:This album is so fantastic. I still can't believe she's still recording near-masterpieces this far into her career. Only 4 tops this for me.
She literally made 3 classics with her last 3 releases. My wig(s) have been in pieces since.

For me, it's still

BEYONCE
Lemonade

They are all really close in comparison though. And can even change depending on me.

YouMakeMeFeel wrote:Love Drought is still the best thing from this album to me. All Night is really good too.
Both songs are my top two favs from the record and will never get old to me.
SEE.sza.RUN
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Hugo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:14 pm

And one year ago the full trailer was released.

"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby spiritboy » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:27 pm

Let's hope they'll put this on streaming this Friday. I know it isn't the first year anniversary but for chart purposes a Friday release would be good.
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Hugo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:55 pm

Atlanta,’ Beyonce’s ‘Lemonade’ Named Peabody Award Winners

Donald Glover’s FX series “Atlanta” and Beyonce’s visual album “Lemonade” were among the seven entertainment winners announced Thursday by the Peabody Awards board of jurors.

Both projects were among the 60 previously announced finalists for the prestigious award, which are meant to represent the most compelling and empowering stories released in electronic media during 2016.

Peabody Award winners and finalists will be celebrated at a gala event on May 20 in New York. The event will be taped for a television special to air on both PBS and Fusion networks on June 2 at 9 p.m/8c. Rashida Jones, a previous Peabody winner for “Parks and Recreation” and current star of “Angie Tribeca,” will serve as host.

Documentary winners were announced on Tuesday. Winners in News, Radio/Podcast, Children’s Programming, Education, and Public Service will be revealed on April 25.

Read the full list of Entertainment winners below with descriptions by the board of jurors.

“Lemonade”
HBO Entertainment in association with Parkwood Entertainment (HBO)

“Lemonade” draws from the prolific literary, musical, cinematic, and aesthetic sensibilities of black cultural producers to create a rich tapestry of poetic innovation. The audacity of its reach and fierceness of its vision challenges our cultural imagination, while crafting a stunning and sublime masterpiece about the lives of women of color and the bonds of friendship seldom seen or heard in American popular culture.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/donald- ... 202391127/
:D :D
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Hugo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:31 pm

^^

BEYONCÉ LEGION‏ @Bey_Legion 29m29 minutes ago
#LEMONADE is the first of its kind to win a Peabody award; Beyoncé is the 2nd black female artist to win the award (Bernice Johnson is 1st).

Outstanding!! :D :D
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Ska8er » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:37 am

I want a Blu-ray release :(
Rest In Peace Lilly!
Ska8er
Legend

Postby Hugo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:34 am

"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby nas4life123 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:56 pm

nothing will top how this album was presented and released
JOJO
nas4life123
Superstar

Postby spiritboy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:00 pm

nas4life123 wrote:nothing will top how this album was presented and released
Presentation-wise i agree but if we consider releases, nothing will top self-title release for some time soon. :lol:
spiritboy
Legend

Postby Hugo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:06 am

Why Beyoncé's 'Lemonade' Album Is Still Necessary A Year Later

On April 23, 2016 with the release of a full-length cinematic HBO special featuring beautiful artistic visuals, spoken word interludes and songs from her 12-track Lemonade album, Beyoncé, and her Louisville slugger, broke the internet, smashed the charts and sent the hive into a fury.

Yonce is known for pulling these types of stunts, but this time was different.

More than just an airtight production with impeccable vocals and perfect execution, the visual album was an unapologetic affirmation of blackness and womanness. It was an ode to us that came at precisely the right time. Lemonade was just what we needed, and still need a year later.

Set against the backdrop of a polarizing presidential campaign season, a resurgence of unapologetically misogynistic politics, and a revival of overt racism and brutality imposed upon black bodies, the album spoke to the shift that was simultaneously unfolding in society at large. With the release of Lemonade, Beyoncé took a decisive turn from the glamorous, flawless image we had come to expect from her. With themes around black identity, infidelity, sisterhood and faith, Lemonade spoke to the complexities of what it means to be woman, and black, and black women in defense of black men, who sometimes betray us.

Beyond its powerful social impact, for me, Lemonade represented a coming of age, a transitioning, a reconciliation between the girlish hopefulness of my teens, and the carefree disregard of my early twenties. I belong to a generation of black women who transitioned into adulthood Bey adjacent. We mimicked the dance moves to "Say My Name" in our dorm rooms, and made "Bug-A-Boo" the universal anthem for our late teenage woes. Beyoncé's catalogue was the soundtrack as we tried on our feminism, intoxicated ourselves with love and learned the kinds of hard earned lessons that only life can teach.

We're adults now, women in our thirties, occupying the roles of daughter, partner, mother and full-grown woman, and none of it feels the way it looked from a distance. Having experienced the depths of betrayal, apathy, hope and reconciliation, we are more layered, more transparent and more interesting than ever before. Our realities have exceeded our expectations in some places, and fallen short in others. If we're being honest, we'll admit that the journey into womanhood has left us a little bitter, but still sweet, kind of like...Lemonade

https://blavity.com/beyonce-lemonade-al ... year-later
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby Goldmoney » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:11 am

This is the political hoodrat album of the decade. I loooove the fact that she was able to get her conscientious message across to the masses without shedding a trace of her street persona. That's what I'm most proud of. 8-)
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby YouMakeMeFeel » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:30 am

Hugo wrote:
I actually really like this. It just sounds like he has way too much slobber in his mouth.... :oops: :-?
Kylie Minogue, Garbage, Simply Red, Coldplay, U2, Janet Jackson, Nine Inch Nails, Tove Lo, Blue October, Godsmack
YouMakeMeFeel
Manager

Postby Jesper » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:10 am

HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY LEGENDARY ALBUM
THE VISUAL MASTERPIECE LEMONADE
Jesper
Legend

Postby naughtynae » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:50 am

I really like this album but I've not listened to it in a long time because i don't want to download it illegally. I only have Spotify now. I wish she'd/they'd upload it.
naughtynae
Legend

Postby Guru » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:00 am

Jesper wrote:HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY LEGENDARY ALBUM
THE VISUAL MASTERPIECE LEMONADE
With this video, I felt like this was probably how people gathered when MJ Thriller (video) was about to debut. The hype. Th excitement. A music video turned into a movie styled theme. I could picture families and friends gathering with popcorn and silence to watch this intriguing movie. What a time to be alive!!!
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Jesper » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:31 am

^
It really felt like a defining moment, an event..in comparison to an album release. There were so many people all over the world witnessing it, even with crappy streams. I woke up to Selftitled and it was magical, but to be part of Lemonade and the story it gave, filled with unheard music, was more intense for me :cry: 8-)
Jesper
Legend

Postby KEY9481 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:49 am

naughtynae wrote:I really like this album but I've not listened to it in a long time because i don't want to download it illegally. I only have Spotify now. I wish she'd/they'd upload it.
Buy it on iTunes then.
5.05.2009 / 6.22.2011 / 4.24.2013 / 4.25.2013 / 3.1.2014 / 9.13.2014 / 7.21.2016
KEY9481
Manager

Postby Loveguru » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:26 am

Hugo wrote:
Omg that was annoying
Forever Young
Loveguru
Legend

Postby naughtynae » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:37 am

KEY9481 wrote:
naughtynae wrote:I really like this album but I've not listened to it in a long time because i don't want to download it illegally. I only have Spotify now. I wish she'd/they'd upload it.
Buy it on iTunes then.
I moved country and can't purchase from iTunes.
naughtynae
Legend

Postby Hugo » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:48 am

Hijabi Artist Channels Beyoncé For Debut Of Her 'Resistance Music' And Video

Mona Haydar is a Syrian-American artist from Flint, Mich. She wears a hijab with pride. She's been a performance poet for 13 years, writing about love, trauma, loss and joy.

Earlier this month, she did something different. She released her first rap song, "Hijab," along with an accompanying video. In just a few days, the music video went viral, with more than 1 million views on Facebook. Produced by Tunde Olaniran, it's reminiscent of Beyoncé's Lemonade visual album. It has a diverse female cast, vibrant modern choreography and camera work that creates intimacy with the viewer.

Then there's the fact that Haydar is eight months pregnant in the video. About 25 seconds in, the camera zooms out to reveal her full belly.

"It's actually really powerful that there's a pregnant woman in the video in a song that's all about women's bodies," she says. "It was just very important to challenge that narrative and to challenge that story — that not all women's bodies look the same, and women's bodies should not look the same."

Artists like Beyoncé and MIA have brought pregnant bodies into the mainstream, but Haydar says the negative views of pregnancy are still very apparent.

"The fact that a pregnant woman is in a music video was just shocking for a lot of people," she says. "And I found it really disturbing that people were so shocked. Often, people had more to say about me rubbing my belly than about the actual content."

Haydar's lyrics also comment on the notion held, even by some feminists, that the hijab is an oppressive tradition. She raps:

"What their hair look like?
Bet their hair look nice.
Don't that make you sweat?
Don't that feel too tight?
Yo what your hair look like?
Bet your hair look nice.
How long your hair is?
You need to get yo life."
Muslim women who wear the hijab have been increasingly targeted in the U.S. as Islamophobia has risen over the past few years. The number of physical assaults against Muslims in the United States reached Sept. 11-era levels last year, according to the Pew Research Center. The FBI reported 257 incidents of anti-Muslim hate crimes in 2015, a 67 percent increase from the previous year.

As a Muslim woman, breaking into the music industry has been difficult. Haydar says much of the pushback has come from the Muslim community. Some view music as haram, or "not permissible," a term used to describe things that go against religious practice. But Haydar doesn't see it that way.

"You know, I'm not a young person. I'm not this thoughtless person who's just jumping into something. Music being forbidden, I'm not interested in this conversation. Because something that promotes love and light is positive and is permissible. And not only permissible but necessary, especially in the world we live in right now," Haydar says.

She calls her music "resistance music" because it celebrates diversity and calls for women to be "unapologetic about who they are" with lyrics like: "Make a feminist planet / Women haters get banished / Covered up or not, don't ever take us for granted."

Haydar will release an album this year with more songs that focus on love and inclusiveness.

http://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/ ... -and-video
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Return to Urban/R&B