R&B Music Discussion

Moderators: urbanmusik, stevyy, Benjamin

Postby TIfan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:19 pm

I wanted to do a topic on R&B music. Hope we can discuss our favorite R&B albums, singles, artist, performances, etc...

I heard Floetry's Flo'Oligy album for the first time and lost my mind. Them girls truly delivered. That is what inspired me to do this topic. Id like to discuss everything that is R&B. Grammy categories, underrated, overrated, legendary statuses, voices, writers etc...

I know one thing, Phyllis Hyman better get some kind of honorary award with that voice.
TIfan
Legend

Postby Gravity » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:02 pm

Floetry's albums are indeed amazing. Say Yes is a classic. Marsha has some great solo songs too.

This new artist Ginette Claudette is giving me life right now:
Floped and localed
Gravity
Superstar

Postby TIfan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:08 pm

Do you guys think Aretha deserved to win "Best Female R&B Vocal Performance" 11 times?
TIfan
Legend

Postby Gravity » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:16 pm

TIfan wrote:Do you guys think Aretha deserved to win "Best Female R&B Vocal Performance" 11 times?
She is a queen of R&B and has a great voice, so yes :)
Floped and localed
Gravity
Superstar

Postby TIfan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:55 pm

Honestly, I do think she deserved the most wins.

I remember whenn thought Alicia was the queen of r&b but she fell hard musically.
TIfan
Legend

Postby Taurus » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:47 pm

D'Angelo's Brown Sugar, Janets The Velvet Rope and Aaliyahs self-titled are all landmarks in my opinion, as far as 90's-modern R&B is concerned. Its crazy how D'Angelo just retreated into his own collapse after he got fame. I wonder how it would've been if he never left the spotlight. I mean he came back with a silent bang but still. Is there any male R&B artist from the 90s that stayed consistent? I guess R. Kelly would be the only one right? Sadly.
Taurus
Manager

Postby GetBack » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:36 am

If D'Angelo continued with a regular every two year kind of release, he would have fell as well. He definitely has the mysterious appeal with his music, something that would have been lost had he exposed himself more. Eventually, he would have been labeled as someone who sold out if he was more active. His comeback did wonders for him that possibly would not have happened if he was regularly out there like R. Kelly.
GetBack
Legend

Postby Controlfreak » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:43 am

I love Floetry's debut album Floetic. They are so talented.

Hello>
Getting Late>
Headache>
Mr. Messed Up>
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby DOSSOME » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:50 am

Gravity wrote:
TIfan wrote:Do you guys think Aretha deserved to win "Best Female R&B Vocal Performance" 11 times?
In fact,She's not just queen of R&B,she IS R&B.
DOSSOME
Legend

Postby Gravity » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:14 am

Is anyone else a fan of Amel Larrieux? :)
Floped and localed
Gravity
Superstar

Postby bluecherry » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:52 am

DOSSOME wrote:
Gravity wrote:
In fact,She's not just queen of R&B,she IS R&B.
I'd say she's soul, more than R&B, after all she is the "Queen of Soul" :D
bluecherry
Manager

Postby intosoul » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:59 pm

Gravity wrote:Is anyone else a fan of Amel Larrieux? :)
Yes, I am. Even though she never followed up "Infinite Possibilities" with another great album.
But she has many stunning songs like For Real, Weary, Afraid and Don't Let Me Down.
intosoul
Superstar

Postby bluecherry » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:40 pm

my favourite r&b albums of the year so far:
k michelle "more issues than vogue"
dvsn "sept 5th"
tweet "charlene"
bluecherry
Manager

Postby Controlfreak » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:59 pm

Gravity wrote:Is anyone else a fan of Amel Larrieux? :)
I am. I loved her debut album Bravebird. For Real slays.
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby goddessriah » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:07 pm

I was just listening to TLC's CrazySexyCool album and wow, what an amazing body of work! Red Light Special is such a hot bedroom anthem. So is Let's Do it Again. Also, I love their cover of If I Was Your Girlfriend by Prince. One of the few artists who did a Prince song justice. In fact, sometimes I prefer TLC's version more than Prince's. That album us definitely one of the biggest R&B albums of the 90's. They dominated 1995 like no other artist!

Unfortunately, TLC aren't as remembered as other girl groups like The Spice Girls and Destiny's Child. That's mainly because Left Eye death and the fact they never released an album since 2002. It's such a shame that Left Eye passed away. TLC wasn't the same anymore without her. In fact, without anyone from the group, TLC wouldn't be the same. That's why I prefer TLC over Destiny's Child. While DC was vocally better than TLC and that DC made some great tunes, the focal point was always Beyonce. Even after removing 3 members, DC still was the same because Beyonce was still in the group. However, the case is different for TLC. Each member contributed to something significant to the group: T-Boz with her sultry low notes, Chille with her seductive high notes, and Left Eye with her clever rhymes. Without any one of them, TLC is not the same. That's why I love them more. They are more of a group compared to DC. Also, music wise, Crazysexycool>>>any DC and Spice Girls Album. Ooh on the TLC Tip and Fanmail are also great albums as well. They will forever remain as my favourite girl group. I miss them :cry: :cry:
MC....In The Place To Be
goddessriah
Roadie

Postby DOSSOME » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:13 pm

^I agree.I could never imagine a TLC without either of them but with DC,as long as Bey was there the others mattered little.Infact all the other members could be disposed of and it wouldn't have changed anything
DOSSOME
Legend

Postby Controlfreak » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:47 pm

Yeah TLC, En Vogue, & SWV >>>>>>>

Their discographies are classic and timeless.
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby biscuits » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:56 pm

I agree, but sorry... Spice >>>> CrazySexyCool
biscuits
The Diva

Postby goddessriah » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:00 pm

biscuits wrote:I agree, but sorry... Spice >>>> CrazySexyCool
I've listened to some of the songs off of Spice. I think they're pretty decent, but they I still very much prefer CrazySexyCool better. To me, it was a better body of work. Each song was so good and the whole album was very cohesive. The interludes also helped as well, though i remember listening to the sexy interlude for the 1st time and thinking: WTF is this? :lol: :lol:

To me, that album has no fillers. My favs off that album are: Creep, Red Light Special, If I Was Your Girlfriend and Sumthin' Wicked This Way Comes. Also, as an era, I think CrazySexyCool is better than the Spice era. Sure, Spice sold more, but Crazysexycool was a flawless era, from the singles, the album, the image, the awards, the chart domination, to the videos. 1995 was THEIR year. I just wish i got to experience that era.

My review of the album track by track (excluding interludes)

1. Creep 10/10
Such a timeless jam! The trumpets and T-Boz's sultry vocals make such a sensual sound. Great opener for an album
2. Kick Your Game 6/10
Ok-ish track. My fav part was Chilli's part. I don't like the chorus though.
3. Diggin' on You 7/10
Another sensual jam. Feels like Creep part 2. T-boz killing it as usual.
4. Case of the Fake People 7/10
Catchy and I really relate to this song a lot.
5. Red Light Special 10/10
One of the hottest bedroom anthems ever! When Chilli's part came in, i just lose it. The video is hot AF as well.
6. Waterfalls 8/10
Love Lisa's rhymes and its meaningful message. Though there's something missing compared to Creep and Red Light Special
7. Let's Do It Again 8/10
Kinda Like Red Light Special Part 2. A very sensual jam!
8. If I Was Your Girlfriend 10/10
Although Prince doesn't like other artists recording his songs, he should be proud of this cover. I love that they added their own personal touch to the song. T-boz's vocals also compliments the song.
9. Take Our Time 8/10
Chilli really did her THANG here. Another amazing bedroom anthem
10. Switch 7/10
Not a bad song. Love Lisa's rhymes (as usual) Though sounds a bit basic.
11. Sumthin' Wicked This Way Comes 9/10
This song really touches me. The production and Lisa's rap really makes me wonder how society and the world is today.

Average: 8.18/10

Definitely one of the greatest R&B albums in the 90's, and perhaps of all time!
MC....In The Place To Be
goddessriah
Roadie

Postby DOSSOME » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:12 pm

Diggin' On You is my jam...T-Boz's voice>>>>>>
DOSSOME
Legend

Postby biscuits » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:19 pm

I actually prefer FanMail.
biscuits
The Diva

Postby ThaInfo1 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:54 am

goddessriah, you better STAN!!!!

CrazySexyCool is legit one of the best albums of all time.

I even love the hell out of FanMail.

I miss them too. I often envension how their career would be like if Lisa hadn't passed. I think 3D would've did well (not as well as the past two albums but still good) and then they would've took a break (to release their own material), release a album around 2006-2008 and so on...
'SCAPE
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Guru » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:04 am

biscuits wrote:I actually prefer FanMail.
Same here. CSL had great singles selected but I felt that FM had not only good singles but great album tracks too.
I never listen to CSL album tracks.
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Nippian93 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:11 am

I definitely prefer CSC, such a great body of work, same about FanMail, but CSC >>>
❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby goddessriah » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:05 am

TBH, their first 3 albums were amazing. They released amazing singles as well. I agree than Fanmail is an amazing album, though there are certain songs I don't really like. I don't really like the "futuristic" vibe of the album. I prefer the old-school vibe of CSC.

BTW, 3D was also a great album as well, though not as good as their first 3 albums.
MC....In The Place To Be
goddessriah
Roadie

Return to R&B & Urban