Bruno Mars - 24K Magic [album]

Moderators: biscuits, stevyy, Benjamin

Postby BruceKicksAss84 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:21 pm

I don't care what he sounds like next, I just hope him and his label figure out a way to make it more global and WW, this era happened only in US. Which is a good thing, but when you think about it, bubblegum artists liker JB and Ed make it WW easily and so should Bruno.
BruceKicksAss84
Manager

Postby frrr » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:43 pm

BruceKicksAss84 wrote:I don't care what he sounds like next, I just hope him and his label figure out a way to make it more global and WW, this era happened only in US. Which is a good thing, but when you think about it, bubblegum artists liker JB and Ed make it WW easily and so should Bruno.
True, despite 24K Magic (single) was noticed WW, but yeah I guess RnB doesn't have the impact it used to have. :-?
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
frrr
Manager

Postby abi » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:07 pm

^I have to disagree with BruceKicksAss84's statement that this album only happened in the US because it is actually really huge in Asia. The singles are just as big as Ed's/J Bieb's recent singles and I believe it's doing decent in Australia as well. The only place where the album underperformed is the Europe, sadly. Which is weird to be honest, because even though the whole sound is R&B - it's not like it's very traditional R&B or neo-Soul or something like that, it's still very catchy and it appeals to Pop audience.

To be honest, I just hope he continues making music that he truly likes. Doesn't matter if it's gonna be either local or global (I mean, global is better of course), I'm just here for good music.
abi
Legend

Postby Jesper » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:54 pm

The thing is these days though that chartperformance and even certifications don't tell the whole story anymore. True someone like Ed Sheeran or Bieber has it all, also in the charts. But I think touring and overall cultural impact, where the latter is even hard to measure, can be much bigger and impactful than the good old chart #1. I just saw that That's What I Like was a cute top 20 hit here in my country, but I heard it so much on radio, saw it so much on TV and saw crowds going crazy for it before concerts of other artists started, that I am almost certain that loads of people can sing or singalong to the song in a split second. I think the urban/R&B/Hip-Hop scene has a lot more impact than what traditional systems show us.

I totally get that people say this album may not have 'happened' globally in some departments, but the picture is much bigger than that.
Jesper
Legend

Postby abi » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:05 pm

That's kinda true. R&B & Hip-Hop songs tend to peak quite low on the charts and you'll never realize how popular those songs are until you hear people sing along at a concert. Kinda remind me of when the crowd went off during "Drunk In Love" at a Drake's concert in France while in reality the song 'only' peaked at #9 on their chart and stayed in the top 10 for a week.

And I feel like it's almost the same with "Versace On The Floor" as well. The song was/is quite popular for a 33-peaking single in the US.
abi
Legend

Postby lia » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:05 pm

It will be awesome if he goes rock with his next album, because I am sick of this dance funk sound that he is doing right now, I want a modern sound for his next album, and a little bit depth not just songs about sex. I don't want anything political, but just a few meaningful songs even if they still were about love.
Seven number ones on Billboard Hot 100 and fourteen top ten hits since 2010/ Bruno Mars.
lia
Superstar

Postby BruceKicksAss84 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:39 pm

lia wrote:It will be awesome if he goes rock with his next album, because I am sick of this dance funk sound that he is doing right now, I want a modern sound for his next album, and a little bit depth not just songs about sex. I don't want anything political, but just a few meaningful songs even if they still were about love.
Gotta agree with you on this one, another album by Bruno during which he sings blatantly about sex all night is not gonna do it for me. Love, yes, that's a very grand subject that can be approached in so many ways, also sex, songwriters like D Angelo, Miguel, Babyface, Maxwell, Marvin Gaye and Prince have written loads of songs about love and desire and still they never sounded cringeworthy.

Stuff like "Calling All My Lovelies" or "Moonshine" is pretty much Bruno's peak lyrically lol. That doesn't say much. :roll:
BruceKicksAss84
Manager

Postby Madelinefs » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:44 pm

I 100% co-sign that he needs to work on his lyrics.
Many years have past but it's still a problem. But here's the deal. He has nowhere to take inspiration from. The fact alone that he used H. Berry voice message makes it very obvious. This entire album is a tribute to black women and bragging about his rich life. Sadly it may remain a problem as long as he keeps wasting time with his parody of a girlfriend. It's a problem when woman in her late 30s doesn't have a career or even a prospect of a career and lives on social media. No wonder the last meaningful song he wrote was When I Was Man, TGTSG is an afterthought of that. But it's beyond time to let it go. His ex ain't coming back. I'll start questioning him
if there's yet another song about his regret and lost love on his 4th lp.

But let me just say that I would never respect Bruno as much as I do if he kept releasing DW&H 2.0, 3.0 etc. It would be what label wanted from and it secure him a very successful and convenient career. Think about it: love songs and being a heartthrob never go out of fashion. By the 'good news' pretty much ends there. By 2017 he would probably make such degrading statements as Sheeran did this year. Sth is a sense - I'm a label puppet and I'm proud of it. Absolute cringefest.

That's as long he's content with his work, has a fanbase and massive respect as a performer he's already winning. Sky is the limit.
stuff like "Calling All My Lovelies" or "Moonshine" is pretty much Bruno's peak lyrically lol.
he better keep working with Bhasker since he was involved in both... :P
Madelinefs
Manager

Postby LambChild » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:37 pm

TGTSG is being promoted all over my Twitter. Is this going to be the next single? It’s a nice song and I think a stronger single than Versace but I would prefer Chunky, Finesse, or CAML tbh.
funny how one can learn
to grow numb to the madness
and block it away
LambChild
Manager

Postby lia » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:27 am

I agree with Madelinefs, there is no inspiration in his life to make him write songs about subjects other than sex. I am still hoping he would write a song for his mom but so far he doesn't want to share that. But another album about sex, materialistic things and bragging about his rich life will hurt his career and might not find more success with his music.
Seven number ones on Billboard Hot 100 and fourteen top ten hits since 2010/ Bruno Mars.
lia
Superstar

Postby frrr » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:13 pm

lia wrote:I agree with Madelinefs, there is no inspiration in his life to make him write songs about subjects other than sex. I am still hoping he would write a song for his mom but so far he doesn't want to share that. But another album about sex, materialistic things and bragging about his rich life will hurt his career and might not find more success with his music.
Please no, one is more than enough. We can see his songs about sex are not successful at all, they are just too much "on your face", LOOH is also about sex but it's written in between the lines and that works. Plus his songs can't take six months to reach its peak, it's just too much. Yes, there are endless ways to approach love and heartbreak and it has to be one of the subjects with most WW appeal. Everyone faces that, its easy :)

LambChild wrote:TGTSG is being promoted all over my Twitter. Is this going to be the next single? It’s a nice song and I think a stronger single than Versace but I would prefer Chunky, Finesse, or CAML tbh.
No word regarding the next single, yet.
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
frrr
Manager

Postby Benjamin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:53 pm

frrr wrote:
lia wrote:
LambChild wrote:TGTSG is being promoted all over my Twitter. Is this going to be the next single? It’s a nice song and I think a stronger single than Versace but I would prefer Chunky, Finesse, or CAML tbh.
No word regarding the next single, yet.
The song is listed under 'Cool New Music' on Hot AC Radio (source: AllAccess).
The song has no official adds date though.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Madelinefs » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:13 pm

Benjamin wrote:The song is listed under 'Cool New Music' on Hot AC Radio (source: AllAccess).
The song has no official adds date though.
HAC:
?? ?? BRUNO MARS Too Good To Say Goodbye 32 0 32 0.117

...and one top40 station in Baltimore s spinning it. (0.113 AI so far) Bruno doesn't do dual releases...
Hm. interesting. Any single building steam on the the radio is better than none especially with his TV special airing in a month.
It would be quite suitable choice for winter. Performance at the Grammys would be EPIC. 8-)
Madelinefs
Manager

Postby frrr » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:38 pm

I don't wanna get my hopes up, how about pop radio?
frrr
Manager

Postby BruceKicksAss84 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:18 am

frrr wrote:I don't wanna get my hopes up, how about pop radio?
Nah, "Chunky" and "Finesse" are the only songs that have potential for pop radio. And he really, really should think about it and release "Finesse" cause it's just a different sound. A killer choreographed video would be just the exact momentum he'll be needing, half of 2018 is gonna be spent on tour and there has to be some sort of "single" success to finalize the era and go back to the studio. (Just like Janet did with the Rhythm Nation album)
BruceKicksAss84
Manager

Postby frrr » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:28 am

BruceKicksAss84 wrote:
Nah, "Chunky" and "Finesse" are the only songs that have potential for pop radio. And he really, really should think about it and release "Finesse" cause it's just a different sound. A killer choreographed video would be just the exact momentum he'll be needing, half of 2018 is gonna be spent on tour and there has to be some sort of "single" success to finalize the era and go back to the studio. (Just like Janet did with the Rhythm Nation album)
Hmm...Mars doesn't do double releases not anymore at least

Too Good To Say Goodbye is the first track on the playlist to get ready for the tour, I guess it's going to be the new single. Needs a radio cut, however...
frrr
Manager

Postby Madelinefs » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:25 pm

top40 = pop. 1 station so far.

Expecting Finesse 2 be a single is just unrealistic rn. If Versace menaged to sneak in the top10 for a week. We would have a different conversation, but now Finesse is the Moonshine of 24k Magic album. An ultimate highlight in his discography and a great tour opener. But it shows no potential in sales or streaming. Even fastastic video wouldn't save it.

We knew since the beginning choosing the right singles would be very tricky and it is.

Chunky - was the 1st promo song he's performed twice might feel old on the radio. Just like Versace in his case and Castle... in Sheeran's
Perm - very polarazing. You either love it or hate it
SUAD - cute bop, unfortunately yet another proof his lyrics need a massive improvement.
CAML - I'm obsessed with it and it would be a hit at URBAN/UAC but I don't see POP supporting it at all.

That's why I'm glad they're going with TGTAG. It's a classic Bruno ballad in winter and lyrics are good for a change... :wink:
Last edited by Madelinefs on Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madelinefs
Manager

Postby frrr » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:59 pm

I wish Chunky would perform like COTH :lol:

But I strongly agree with Madelinefs on this one. Plus, just like she said ballad and its winter time and it is easily relatable and it's the only trackon his album that is not all about sex or money, show a different side. Hopefully tomorrow they add the dates :)

I guess we all like CALM but yeah pop wouldn't jump on this one.
frrr
Manager

Postby Madelinefs » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:00 pm

this is cute :P

Madelinefs
Manager

Postby Madelinefs » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:45 pm

My top3 24k Magic era inspired Halloween costumes:

Adorable :lol:
Madelinefs
Manager

Postby lia » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:49 am

Aww too adorable, and look at this.

:oops:
lia
Superstar

Postby frrr » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:22 pm

Best R&B Album
After 7 — Timeless
Bell Biv DeVoe — Three Stripes
Eric Benét — Eric Benét
Mary J. Blige — Strength of a Woman
Tamar Braxton — Bluebird of Happiness
Daniel Caesar — Freudian
Will Downing — Soul Survivor
H.E.R. — H.E.R., Vol. 2
Leela James — Did It for Love
Joe — #MyNameIsJoeThomas
Ledisi — Let Love Rule
John Legend — Darkness and Light
Mali Music — The Transition of Mali
Bruno Mars — 24K Magic
Terrace Martin Presents the Pollyseeds — Sounds of Crenshaw, Vol. 1
Maysa — Love Is a Battlefield
Musiq Soulchild — Feel the Real
Partynextdoor — Seven Days
Calvin Richardson — All or Nothing
Eric Roberson — Earth
Stokley — Introducing Stokley
Tank — Savage
Kirk Whalum — #Lovecovers
Charlie Wilson — In It to Win It

Grammy submissions in the Best R&B album category
frrr
Manager

Postby Benjamin » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:06 am

The pictures of the mini Brunos are too cute! :D
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby abi » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:17 am

PARTYNEXTDOOR's album is so damn Trap/Urban-esque why did they submit it here? :lol:
abi
Legend

Postby Madelinefs » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:41 pm

Damn :lol:

Funfact about 24k MAGIC era:
On iTunes out 8 most supportive markets 6 are from Asia.
Top3 from the continent:
Thailand
Singapore
Japan
Madelinefs
Manager

Return to R&B & Urban