Bruno Mars - 24K Magic [album]

Moderators: trebor, urbanmusik, stevyy, Benjamin

Postby ThaInfo1 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:00 pm

All culture appropriation convos should cease he DID give credit to everyone that has influence the New Jack Swing/90s album. Even during his speech.

He deserves, works hard, performs his ass off and delivered a dope ass album. I will say I wished a couple of his Grammys went to some other folks (see: SZA) but this isn’t a bad person to lose to. Rather her lose to someone else I appreciate :lol:
BARDI GANG!!!
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby frrr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:36 pm

Jesper wrote:Shouldn't be celebrate that someone from a minority group, which Bruno is, had so much succes? I can't name a lot or even one artist of Filipino, Puerto Rican or hawaiian etc. etc. with big succes, beside maybe Apl from The Black Eyed Peas who is also from Filipino heritage. We should celebrate that, not be negative about that.

Also I am getting tired about cultural appropriation thing, not talking about ska8er per se, but one moment a lot of people are rooting for Bruno that he brings back certain sounds back to the charts, that he pays homage to the culture, but when something like the Grammy;s happen, then people gladly throw in the term cultural appropriation to discredit him. I always thought cultural appropriation had to do with a dominant group taking things from a minority group. And the last time I checked, Bruno is still POC and from a minority group in the US.

I get things are complicated, I get things and the environment these days are very awful. Kendrick maybe should have won, I actually expected him to win, but he didn't, and that's that. We can throw all kinds of theories in, we can say Bruno was the most safe choice, we could say so many things. But that doesn't change anything. But I find it pretty sad that Bruno gets thrown under the bus just because he pays homage to the music he lives and breathes, the music he grew up with and he states all his influences every damn time, he doesn't take things and pretends he invented them. Bruno is the last person to say he does.
The speech! :D 8-)
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
frrr
Manager

Postby abi » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:17 am

Jesper wrote:Shouldn't be celebrate that someone from a minority group, which Bruno is, had so much succes? I can't name a lot or even one artist of Filipino, Puerto Rican or hawaiian etc. etc. with big succes, beside maybe Apl from The Black Eyed Peas who is also from Filipino heritage. We should celebrate that, not be negative about that.

Also I am getting tired about cultural appropriation thing, not talking about ska8er per se, but one moment a lot of people are rooting for Bruno that he brings back certain sounds back to the charts, that he pays homage to the culture, but when something like the Grammy;s happen, then people gladly throw in the term cultural appropriation to discredit him. I always thought cultural appropriation had to do with a dominant group taking things from a minority group. And the last time I checked, Bruno is still POC and from a minority group in the US.

I get things are complicated, I get things and the environment these days are very awful. Kendrick maybe should have won, I actually expected him to win, but he didn't, and that's that. We can throw all kinds of theories in, we can say Bruno was the most safe choice, we could say so many things. But that doesn't change anything. But I find it pretty sad that Bruno gets thrown under the bus just because he pays homage to the music he lives and breathes, the music he grew up with and he states all his influences every damn time, he doesn't take things and pretends he invented them. Bruno is the last person to say he does.

It's not like Bruno used to be an EDM act and suddenly wanted to do 'black music' because it's cool & trendy (like a certain female Pop star), but he's been doing it literally since he was a little kid. For him, R&B & Funk isn't just a 'concept' that he decided to use it for an album and them move to another one. He grew up with it. He grew up within the culture.

"Mars is one of six children and came from a musical family which exposed him to a diverse mix of genres including: reggae, rock, hip hop, and R&B. His mother was both a singer and a dancer, and his father performed Little Richard rock and roll music. Mars' uncle was an Elvis impersonator, and also encouraged three-year-old Mars to perform on stage. Mars performed songs by artists such as Michael Jackson, The Isley Brothers, and The Temptations."
abi
Legend

Postby Loveguru » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:30 pm

I am happy for Bruno but you can write 6000000 words but the morale of the story is he was lucky af
Forever Young
Loveguru
Legend

Postby frrr » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:25 pm

Loveguru wrote:I am happy for Bruno but you can write 6000000 words but the morale of the story is he was lucky af
Why so lucky?
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
frrr
Manager

Postby tyguy723 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:27 pm

Culture stems from ethnicity, not race. It is the very reason why Bruno is the way he is now, he grew up surrounded by the culture of it, therefore identified with it and became the artist he is now. To say he is appropriating a culture would be wrong, it’s all he has ever known, and that the genre is not exclusive to the black community, but the culture that happens to surround it. Time to move on from this tried and true argument of appropriation it’s laughable at this point how pressed people get from culture being “stolen” when the culprit never really claims that they invented anything from it :roll:

At the end of the day he made an incredible concept album that was a completely fresh concept to an industry SWAMPED with tropical pop and mumble rap, so go Bruno for staying true to an artistic vision :D
tyguy723
Manager

Postby frrr » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:44 pm

Madelinefs wrote:Mars will set out on tour next month and the duo are almost certain to hit the studio again to throw down a few new ideas.
So Mars is thinking about work on his next project already? Good, in the meantime he has to push Finesse more and very likely another single "Chunky" and "TGTSG" have the most potential out of the bunch
frrr
Manager

Postby Madelinefs » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:27 pm

2018 GRAMMYS' CURIOSITIES

1) Bruno is the first artist to win 3 R&B field Grammys in a night since John Legend & The Roots in 2011.
2) No R&B album has won AOTY since The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill in 1999.
3) Bruno is the first male artist to sweep the General Field since Eric Clapton in 1993.
4) Bruno is the first artist to win Best Pop Vocal Album and Best R&B Album.
5)Bruno's been winnig everything he was nominated for since 2016 i.e. 9 Grammys.
Madelinefs
Manager

Postby Nippian93 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:30 pm

❤Whitney Houston
Nippian93
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:32 pm

While I wouldn’t personally choose this album as AOTY, it’s very nice seeing his vision and talent being recognised. So I am pleased he won that award. He shouldn’t have swept though.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:45 pm

I'm thinking about finally getting a passport and going to Canada to see him with my best friend. :cool:
BARDI GANG!!!
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Madelinefs » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:33 pm

in case yall thought he's a hater. :) :lol:
BRUNO.ALWAYS.WINS. 8-)
Madelinefs
Manager

Postby frrr » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:35 am

^he is not a hater he gave 24k magic a good review. He got a bit pressed with Mars sweeping the Grammys, that video just shows that he came to terms with it. It's quite fantastic as he usually never changes his opinion
frrr
Manager

Postby frrr » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:46 am

Just fantastic when he breaks it down to its rawness, you can clearly see the work it has been done. One of the reasons why it won so many TEC Awards and Grammy for engineering.
frrr
Manager

Postby Madelinefs » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:26 pm

frrr wrote:

Just fantastic when he breaks it down to its rawness, you can clearly see the work it has been done. One of the reasons why it won so many TEC Awards and Grammy for engineering.
OMG....THANKS SO MUCH 4 posting. I rarely pay attention to the technical details of music production (well, unless it's MJ related :lol: )...BUT THIS IS INCREDIBLE :o WOW. People that were salty about Bruuuunski yet another ROTY win gotta take that L. I've said it before and I'll say it again. 24K Magic is the most complex record production he's done to day, and this breakdown only confirms that. So many hidden gems on this songs! All these vocals in the intro, incredibily balanced groove in instrumental, all those echoes, multiple background vocals in the bridge, and that raw scream :lol: Vocal production got so much praise here. #proud 8-)
Bruuunski - the man of sophisticated production.

Madelinefs
Manager

Postby Madelinefs » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:30 pm

frrr wrote:^he is not a hater he gave 24k magic a good review. He got a bit pressed with Mars sweeping the Grammys, that video just shows that he came to terms with it. It's quite fantastic as he usually never changes his opinion
I know he isn't but based on his comments about 2018 Grammy, Bruuunski haters TRIED to come after our man in the comment section, so he recorded this as an intervention and shut them up. Hillarious. :lol:
Madelinefs
Manager

Postby lia » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:15 am

frrr wrote:

This is so good.
Seven number ones on Billboard Hot 100 and fourteen top ten hits since 2010/ Bruno Mars.
lia
Superstar

Return to R&B & Urban