The slayage..
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby Madelinefs » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:33 am

I lowkey saw that coming but y'all told me it's impossible :lol:
Madelinefs
Manager

Postby Jesper » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:48 am

Well I didn't wanted to expect too much, with the nominees it could have gone various ways
Jesper
Legend

Postby heppolo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:21 am

Grammies are rubbish anyway (except the best comedy record category)
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Yoshie » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:39 am

Seven out of seven! :o What an incredible achievement for Bruno! Many congratulations to him. He deserves it so much. :D
Yoshie
Legend

Postby topopMAC1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:52 am

I'm VERY happy for Bruno. He found his niche with "24K Magic". This album was completely different to his first two. He bought back that 90s R&B sound that I've missed but put his own twist on it. I was excited to hear something different to the tropical pop and trap beats that seem to fill all radio playlists at the moment. The album is all killer, no filler and he's an incredible performer. I'm glad the album was recognised! One of my favourite albums of recent times. :D
"This time I'm gonna get it right. I'm gonna paint my face like the Guggenheim!"
topopMAC1
Legend

Postby Kaloki » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:52 am

topopMAC1 wrote:I'm VERY happy for Bruno. He found his niche with "24K Magic". This album was completely different to his first two. He bought back that 90s R&B sound that I've missed but put his own twist on it. I was excited to hear something different to the tropical pop and trap beats that seem to fill all radio playlists at the moment. The album is all killer, no filler and he's an incredible performer. I'm glad the album was recognised! One of my favourite albums of recent times. :D
All of this!
Kaloki
Manager

Postby topopMAC1 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:56 am

Madelinefs wrote:NEW YORK TIMES: Meet the Stereotypes, the Guys Who Help Give Bruno Mars His Bounce
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/24/arts ... um=twitter

After fine-tuning “24K Magic,” the ’80s funk homage that would become the album’s first single, the Stereotypes and Mr. Mars created “Finesse” from scratch. Mr. Mars requested the new jack swing sound of Keith Sweat and Bobby Brown “and we were like, say no more,” Mr. Romulus said. “When was the last time someone asked for that?”
EXACTLY!
"This time I'm gonna get it right. I'm gonna paint my face like the Guggenheim!"
topopMAC1
Legend

Postby lia » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:42 pm

Wow did this actually happen? I am shocked. :o
Seven number ones on Billboard Hot 100 and fourteen top ten hits since 2010/ Bruno Mars.
lia
Superstar

Postby abi » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:43 pm

Congrats Bruno! 8-)

Sadly not really feeling the performance though. It seemed kinda rushed and his vocals were off.
abi
Legend

Postby stevyy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:57 pm

The album is OK.

It received 391 scrobbles this far according to my LastFM.
stevyy
Legend

Postby GetBack » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:19 pm

Yay! I already predicted a clean sweep for him but I didn't want it to be jinxed! :oops: :oops:
The love be so fake, but the hate be so real...
GetBack
Legend

Postby frrr » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:39 pm

JSparksFan wrote:
frrr wrote:Told ya. He is also going to win one of the big categories :)
One? How about all? Congrats to Bruno on tonight's sweep!
I was not expecting, but yeah! What a sweep :D :o
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
frrr
Superstar

Postby GetBack » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:48 pm

topopMAC1 wrote:I'm VERY happy for Bruno. He found his niche with "24K Magic". This album was completely different to his first two. He bought back that 90s R&B sound that I've missed but put his own twist on it. I was excited to hear something different to the tropical pop and trap beats that seem to fill all radio playlists at the moment. The album is all killer, no filler and he's an incredible performer. I'm glad the album was recognised! One of my favourite albums of recent times. :D
I love that the album was about the music and not at all about himself. All the songs also came to life when he performed it, no need for hype or marketing gimmicks whatsoever, he just made a feel-good album that clicked! :D :D
GetBack
Legend

Postby frrr » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:53 pm

Another sweep! :D

Record Production/Album - 24K Magic - Bruno Mars
Record Production/Single or Track - 24K Magic - Bruno Mars
Tour Sound Production Bruno Mars 24K - Magic World Tour
https://www.tecawards.org/winners-2018
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
frrr
Superstar

Postby topopMAC1 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:55 am

GetBack wrote:
I love that the album was about the music and not at all about himself. All the songs also came to life when he performed it, no need for hype or marketing gimmicks whatsoever, he just made a feel-good album that clicked! :D :D
I agree. Sonically, he hasn't gone in the studio and chased the latest trends.... He has gone for a musical style that he's inspired by and makes sense for him as an artist and performer and he does it incredibly well!
topopMAC1
Legend

Postby GetBack » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:35 am

topopMAC1 wrote:
GetBack wrote:
I agree. Sonically, he hasn't gone in the studio and chased the latest trends.... He has gone for a musical style that he's inspired by and makes sense for him as an artist and performer and he does it incredibly well!
Who would have thought that he would pull it off, never in a million years did I imagine the guy who sang "Nothin' on You" or "Grenade" could sing and dance like that!? 8-) 8-) When he showed that he had varied singing styles, write songs, play instruments, shift genres, and dance, it was game over for everyone else. :cry: :cry:
GetBack
Legend

Postby frrr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:41 pm

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/grammys/8096896/bruno-mars-grammys-wins-bad-thing-career

It just seems bad intentioned. Making comparisons with JT despite acknowledging they are different and so on and actually never going straight to the point. Of course, he isn't going to get number ones every single time...music goes by trends and so on, quite a long article as well.
frrr
Superstar

Postby lia » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:44 pm

frrr wrote:https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/grammys/8096896/bruno-mars-grammys-wins-bad-thing-career

It just seems bad intentioned. Making comparisons with JT despite acknowledging they are different and so on and actually never going straight to the point. Of course, he isn't going to get number ones every single time...music goes by trends and so on, quite a long article as well.
Billboard has stooped too low.
Seven number ones on Billboard Hot 100 and fourteen top ten hits since 2010/ Bruno Mars.
lia
Superstar

Postby Ska8er » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:29 pm

Besides the unecessary "this will hurt Bruno's career" and JT comparisons, I agree with them. If he showed at least a bit of empathy for the current social and political climate I would've disagreed, but he was on that stage drunk and seemingly ignorant.

I like Bruno, always have. I own all three of his albums. But this album did not deserve to even be nominated for AOTY, let alone win. And the fact that he won against two of the biggest black artists with an album that is appropriating their culture makes everything worse.

Don't come at me. I know he doesn't decide who wins, and he does deserves an AOTY, just not for this particular project.
Rest In Peace Lilly!
Ska8er
Legend

Postby Jesper » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:30 pm

I don't think Billboard stooped too low, I just think there are too many opinion-based articles these days, yet they are taken as facts :lol:
Jesper
Legend

Postby frrr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:44 pm

Ska8er not everything has to concern politics. Honestly, don't you get enough of that on TV? Shake up things a bit...he was a little tipsy and could talk normally. He wasn't full drunk throwing up on the stage embarrassing everyone!

It deserved to be nominated, I would have preferred Lamar to win. Appropriate which culture? Isn't music supposed to be shared no matter the race? So a white person can't do Rap, and a black person can't do rock? There is no cultural appropriation when a guy is half Caucasian, Jewish, Puerto-Rican and so on...Yeah pretty sure they have a lot of R&B on two hip-hop albums.
frrr
Superstar

Postby Jesper » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:15 pm

Shouldn't be celebrate that someone from a minority group, which Bruno is, had so much succes? I can't name a lot or even one artist of Filipino, Puerto Rican or hawaiian etc. etc. with big succes, beside maybe Apl from The Black Eyed Peas who is also from Filipino heritage. We should celebrate that, not be negative about that.

Also I am getting tired about cultural appropriation thing, not talking about ska8er per se, but one moment a lot of people are rooting for Bruno that he brings back certain sounds back to the charts, that he pays homage to the culture, but when something like the Grammy;s happen, then people gladly throw in the term cultural appropriation to discredit him. I always thought cultural appropriation had to do with a dominant group taking things from a minority group. And the last time I checked, Bruno is still POC and from a minority group in the US.

I get things are complicated, I get things and the environment these days are very awful. Kendrick maybe should have won, I actually expected him to win, but he didn't, and that's that. We can throw all kinds of theories in, we can say Bruno was the most safe choice, we could say so many things. But that doesn't change anything. But I find it pretty sad that Bruno gets thrown under the bus just because he pays homage to the music he lives and breathes, the music he grew up with and he states all his influences every damn time, he doesn't take things and pretends he invented them. Bruno is the last person to say he does.
Last edited by Jesper on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jesper
Legend

Postby LittleLinda » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:22 pm

Honestly, half the people throwing the term "cultural appropriation" around have no clue what it means. I'll just leave it at that.

It's not incumbent upon him to speak for anything or anyone but himself, and it's certainly not his responsibility to apologize for who the Recording Academy didn't vote for.
This sentence says it all. Especially since I'm almost certain that if he DID acknowledge "the world outside his own career" (as they put it), he still would've been criticised.
LittleLinda
Manager

Return to R&B & Urban