Bruno Mars - 24K Magic [album]

Moderators: urbanmusik, stevyy, Benjamin

 

Postby ThaInfo1 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:00 pm

All culture appropriation convos should cease he DID give credit to everyone that has influence the New Jack Swing/90s album. Even during his speech.

He deserves, works hard, performs his ass off and delivered a dope ass album. I will say I wished a couple of his Grammys went to some other folks (see: SZA) but this isn’t a bad person to lose to. Rather her lose to someone else I appreciate :lol:
'SCAPE
User avatar
ThaInfo1
Legend
 
Posts: 21575
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006
Location: Wherever your fine daddy is at.

Postby frrr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:36 pm

Jesper wrote:Shouldn't be celebrate that someone from a minority group, which Bruno is, had so much succes? I can't name a lot or even one artist of Filipino, Puerto Rican or hawaiian etc. etc. with big succes, beside maybe Apl from The Black Eyed Peas who is also from Filipino heritage. We should celebrate that, not be negative about that.

Also I am getting tired about cultural appropriation thing, not talking about ska8er per se, but one moment a lot of people are rooting for Bruno that he brings back certain sounds back to the charts, that he pays homage to the culture, but when something like the Grammy;s happen, then people gladly throw in the term cultural appropriation to discredit him. I always thought cultural appropriation had to do with a dominant group taking things from a minority group. And the last time I checked, Bruno is still POC and from a minority group in the US.

I get things are complicated, I get things and the environment these days are very awful. Kendrick maybe should have won, I actually expected him to win, but he didn't, and that's that. We can throw all kinds of theories in, we can say Bruno was the most safe choice, we could say so many things. But that doesn't change anything. But I find it pretty sad that Bruno gets thrown under the bus just because he pays homage to the music he lives and breathes, the music he grew up with and he states all his influences every damn time, he doesn't take things and pretends he invented them. Bruno is the last person to say he does.
The speech! :D 8-)
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
User avatar
frrr
Superstar
 
Posts: 5055
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Postby abi » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:17 am

Jesper wrote:Shouldn't be celebrate that someone from a minority group, which Bruno is, had so much succes? I can't name a lot or even one artist of Filipino, Puerto Rican or hawaiian etc. etc. with big succes, beside maybe Apl from The Black Eyed Peas who is also from Filipino heritage. We should celebrate that, not be negative about that.

Also I am getting tired about cultural appropriation thing, not talking about ska8er per se, but one moment a lot of people are rooting for Bruno that he brings back certain sounds back to the charts, that he pays homage to the culture, but when something like the Grammy;s happen, then people gladly throw in the term cultural appropriation to discredit him. I always thought cultural appropriation had to do with a dominant group taking things from a minority group. And the last time I checked, Bruno is still POC and from a minority group in the US.

I get things are complicated, I get things and the environment these days are very awful. Kendrick maybe should have won, I actually expected him to win, but he didn't, and that's that. We can throw all kinds of theories in, we can say Bruno was the most safe choice, we could say so many things. But that doesn't change anything. But I find it pretty sad that Bruno gets thrown under the bus just because he pays homage to the music he lives and breathes, the music he grew up with and he states all his influences every damn time, he doesn't take things and pretends he invented them. Bruno is the last person to say he does.
Image

It's not like Bruno used to be an EDM act and suddenly wanted to do 'black music' because it's cool & trendy (like a certain female Pop star), but he's been doing it literally since he was a little kid. For him, R&B & Funk isn't just a 'concept' that he decided to use it for an album and them move to another one. He grew up with it. He grew up within the culture.

"Mars is one of six children and came from a musical family which exposed him to a diverse mix of genres including: reggae, rock, hip hop, and R&B. His mother was both a singer and a dancer, and his father performed Little Richard rock and roll music. Mars' uncle was an Elvis impersonator, and also encouraged three-year-old Mars to perform on stage. Mars performed songs by artists such as Michael Jackson, The Isley Brothers, and The Temptations."
User avatar
abi
Legend
 
Posts: 32251
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007
Location: Indonesia

Postby Loveguru » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:30 pm

I am happy for Bruno but you can write 6000000 words but the morale of the story is he was lucky af
Forever Young
User avatar
Loveguru
Legend
 
Posts: 17100
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009

Postby frrr » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:25 pm

Loveguru wrote:I am happy for Bruno but you can write 6000000 words but the morale of the story is he was lucky af
Why so lucky?
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
User avatar
frrr
Superstar
 
Posts: 5055
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Postby tyguy723 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:27 pm

Culture stems from ethnicity, not race. It is the very reason why Bruno is the way he is now, he grew up surrounded by the culture of it, therefore identified with it and became the artist he is now. To say he is appropriating a culture would be wrong, it’s all he has ever known, and that the genre is not exclusive to the black community, but the culture that happens to surround it. Time to move on from this tried and true argument of appropriation it’s laughable at this point how pressed people get from culture being “stolen” when the culprit never really claims that they invented anything from it :roll:

At the end of the day he made an incredible concept album that was a completely fresh concept to an industry SWAMPED with tropical pop and mumble rap, so go Bruno for staying true to an artistic vision :D
User avatar
tyguy723
Manager
 
Posts: 3268
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015
Location: Michigan

Postby frrr » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:44 pm

Madelinefs wrote:Mars will set out on tour next month and the duo are almost certain to hit the studio again to throw down a few new ideas.
So Mars is thinking about work on his next project already? Good, in the meantime he has to push Finesse more and very likely another single "Chunky" and "TGTSG" have the most potential out of the bunch
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
User avatar
frrr
Superstar
 
Posts: 5055
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Postby Madelinefs » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:27 pm

2018 GRAMMYS' CURIOSITIES

1) Bruno is the first artist to win 3 R&B field Grammys in a night since John Legend & The Roots in 2011.
2) No R&B album has won AOTY since The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill in 1999.
3) Bruno is the first male artist to sweep the General Field since Eric Clapton in 1993.
4) Bruno is the first artist to win Best Pop Vocal Album and Best R&B Album.
5)Bruno's been winnig everything he was nominated for since 2016 i.e. 9 Grammys.
User avatar
Madelinefs
Manager
 
Posts: 2949
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013

Postby Nippian93 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:30 pm

❤Whitney Houston
User avatar
Nippian93
Legend
 
Posts: 37318
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016

Postby DnBLover » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:32 pm

While I wouldn’t personally choose this album as AOTY, it’s very nice seeing his vision and talent being recognised. So I am pleased he won that award. He shouldn’t have swept though.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
User avatar
DnBLover
Legend
 
Posts: 13431
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009
Location: PT

Postby ThaInfo1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:45 pm

I'm thinking about finally getting a passport and going to Canada to see him with my best friend. :cool:
'SCAPE
User avatar
ThaInfo1
Legend
 
Posts: 21575
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006
Location: Wherever your fine daddy is at.

Postby Madelinefs » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:33 pm



in case yall thought he's a hater. :) :lol:
BRUNO.ALWAYS.WINS. 8-)
User avatar
Madelinefs
Manager
 
Posts: 2949
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013

Postby frrr » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:35 am

^he is not a hater he gave 24k magic a good review. He got a bit pressed with Mars sweeping the Grammys, that video just shows that he came to terms with it. It's quite fantastic as he usually never changes his opinion
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
User avatar
frrr
Superstar
 
Posts: 5055
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Postby frrr » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:46 am



Just fantastic when he breaks it down to its rawness, you can clearly see the work it has been done. One of the reasons why it won so many TEC Awards and Grammy for engineering.
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
User avatar
frrr
Superstar
 
Posts: 5055
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Postby Madelinefs » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:26 pm

frrr wrote:

Just fantastic when he breaks it down to its rawness, you can clearly see the work it has been done. One of the reasons why it won so many TEC Awards and Grammy for engineering.
OMG....THANKS SO MUCH 4 posting. I rarely pay attention to the technical details of music production (well, unless it's MJ related :lol: )...BUT THIS IS INCREDIBLE :o WOW. People that were salty about Bruuuunski yet another ROTY win gotta take that L. I've said it before and I'll say it again. 24K Magic is the most complex record production he's done to day, and this breakdown only confirms that. So many hidden gems on this songs! All these vocals in the intro, incredibily balanced groove in instrumental, all those echoes, multiple background vocals in the bridge, and that raw scream :lol: Vocal production got so much praise here. #proud 8-)
Bruuunski - the man of sophisticated production.

Image
User avatar
Madelinefs
Manager
 
Posts: 2949
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013

Postby Madelinefs » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:30 pm

frrr wrote:^he is not a hater he gave 24k magic a good review. He got a bit pressed with Mars sweeping the Grammys, that video just shows that he came to terms with it. It's quite fantastic as he usually never changes his opinion
I know he isn't but based on his comments about 2018 Grammy, Bruuunski haters TRIED to come after our man in the comment section, so he recorded this as an intervention and shut them up. Hillarious. :lol:
User avatar
Madelinefs
Manager
 
Posts: 2949
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013

Postby lia » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:15 am

frrr wrote:

Just fantastic when he breaks it down to its rawness, you can clearly see the work it has been done. One of the reasons why it won so many TEC Awards and Grammy for engineering.
This is so good.
Seven number ones on Billboard Hot 100 and fourteen top ten hits since 2010/ Bruno Mars.
lia
Superstar
 
Posts: 5233
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012

Postby Madelinefs » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:31 am



#proud. 8-)
User avatar
Madelinefs
Manager
 
Posts: 2949
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013

Postby Madelinefs » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:07 am

User avatar
Madelinefs
Manager
 
Posts: 2949
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013

Postby Jesper » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:34 am

I am glad Charlie Wilson defended Bruno. I am tired of that whole discussion, especially when everyone BUT the artist should be blamed for the problem people keep complaining about.
User avatar
Jesper
Legend
 
Posts: 23598
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009
Location: The Netherlands

Postby GetBack » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Well, hopefully, Bruno will leave the R&B genre a bit for the next album. He has already proven that his success is due to his talent and not because he is doing R&B music, my goodness, Bruno is an actual musician, he's not just another pop star or someone who relies on songwriting camps to create his vision and define his musicality.

It's funny how the least expected R&B artist delivered the real R&B that people were actually looking for. It's a breath of fresh air in the very saturated urban alternative and trap spoken singing kind of R&B artists that are everywhere. Many are pretty much jealous because he won the Grammys over everyone else who needed that validation, when his album does not need awards to prove its worth.
User avatar
GetBack
Legend
 
Posts: 28458
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010
Location: Philippines

Postby abi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:25 pm

I don't think Bruno will ever leave R&B. It's the genre he grew up with as a kid. Even if he decided to play around with other genres, I'm sure they will still be heavily influenced by R&B.
User avatar
abi
Legend
 
Posts: 32251
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007
Location: Indonesia

Postby ThaInfo1 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:04 pm

Jesper wrote:I am glad Charlie Wilson defended Bruno. I am tired of that whole discussion, especially when everyone BUT the artist should be blamed for the problem people keep complaining about.
!!!!!! The convo is so old and played out.

Like I get that Bruno naturally benefits from it but it's not his fault. He gives all his credit to those that influenced his sound (see Grammy award speeches). For the fact that he does that alone (and on top of his music being bomb), I can't be mad at that at all.

On top of that, all these people complaining about Bruno ain't supported or brought an album from an "urban" artist since forever. If they're mad about it, go support those artist and this wouldn't be an issue. :roll:

Let good music, be good music. And that's all.
'SCAPE
User avatar
ThaInfo1
Legend
 
Posts: 21575
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006
Location: Wherever your fine daddy is at.

Postby frrr » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:25 pm

abi wrote:I don't think Bruno will ever leave R&B. It's the genre he grew up with as a kid. Even if he decided to play around with other genres, I'm sure they will still be heavily influenced by R&B.
Not leave but it won't be a R&B on the next album for sure. I believe he is going to aim for something like "Beat It", "Dirty Diana", "Purple Rain" ALA Leny Kravitz...it's something missing on the radio so there is room for it, no saturation. Also a huge influence on him, this pop/rock/R&B songs, and he seems to be playing around with Grenade/Gorilla so it seems something he will do next. I wouldn't be surprised either if he went back to genre hoping :)
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
User avatar
frrr
Superstar
 
Posts: 5055
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2013
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Postby lia » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:49 pm

I just got off twitter, alot of things were going on but the grapevine really went on him saying that he is nothing but a wedding singer and he should stick to his lane and stop stealing from black music, the host is clearly not a fan of bruno because whenever someone was attacking him, she would agree and she gave more time to people who were speaking against him.

Bruno is in a tricky situation because if he decides to do something different with his next album, I am pretty sure people will be mad that he is no longer doing R&B after he got what he wanted. So I wonder what will he be bringing with his 4th album and it's crazy to think that it's just his 4th album.

Personally I'd like bruno to do some soul music and tone it down a little bit, or do those big R&B love tunes, his voice is beautiful and he should use it again in that lane.
Seven number ones on Billboard Hot 100 and fourteen top ten hits since 2010/ Bruno Mars.
lia
Superstar
 
Posts: 5233
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012

Return to R&B & Urban