Bruno Mars - 24K Magic [album]

Moderators: biscuits, Benjamin, stevyy

Postby Madelinefs » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:26 pm

Lol, I totally forgot he'll be in Latin America at the time. Tour >>>>>>>> AMAs any day, any time :P

Billboard experts predict he's going for POP:
Bruno Mars, who bounces between pop and R&B, could be placed in the pop category this time around with 24K Magic. Golding mentions that Mars "flirts" between the two genres, and when he does lean into pop, he does so "authentically."
+ AOTY (locked), TWIL in general field
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... ce=twitter

I also would love to hear rock influences on his next album. :wink:
Madelinefs
Manager

Postby frrr » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:47 pm

Madelinefs wrote:Lol, I totally forgot he'll be in Latin America at the time. Tour >>>>>>>> AMAs any day, any time :P

Billboard experts predict he's going for POP:
Bruno Mars, who bounces between pop and R&B, could be placed in the pop category this time around with 24K Magic. Golding mentions that Mars "flirts" between the two genres, and when he does lean into pop, he does so "authentically."
+ AOTY (locked), TWIL in general field
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... ce=twitter

I also would love to hear rock influences on his next album. :wink:
Agree with everything but the expert. I think it would suit him perfectly like Prince did with his album "Purple Rain" and like MJ did "Beat It" and"Dirty Diana". He can totally pull that off and seems a logical move from what we have been hearing so far and I wouldn't mind a reggae-rock song. BB has been using Mars' songs (24k
Magic and TWIL )to opening those segments, which is nice :)
As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
frrr
Manager

Postby frrr » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:54 pm

As a singer, songwriter and producer Bruno Mars has sold over 169 million singles
frrr
Manager

Postby frrr » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:01 pm

Bruno Mars’ third album, 24K Magic, is vying for a nom for Best R&B Album, not Best Pop Vocal Album. Mars’ first two studio albums, Doo-Wops & Hooligans and Unorthodox Jukebox, were both nominated in the pop album category; Jukebox won.
http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=308900

+ Kirk Whalum’s #Love Covers is the only known competition so far
Last edited by frrr on Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frrr
Manager

Postby Madelinefs » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:20 pm

BET has just announced it’s 2017 Soul Train Awards nominations with Solange and Bruno Mars at the head of the pack.
http://karencivil.com/2017/10/17/solang ... minations/

Best R&B/Soul Male Artist
Video Of The Year "24K Magic”
Album/ Mixtape Of The Year
Song Of The Year ''“That’s What I Like”
The Ashford & Simpson Songwriter’s Award “Versace On The Floor” – Written By: Christopher Steven Brown, James Edward Fauntleroy, Bruno Mars, Philip Martin Lawrence
Best Dance Performance “24K Magic”

Broonski came a long way. :o 8-)
Madelinefs
Manager

Postby abi » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:46 am

Wait, so Bruno submitted to Best R&B Album instead of Best Urban Contemporary. :o Less competition then. :lol:
abi
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Can we expect a 4th single soon? I feel like 'Versace' kind of killed the momentum.
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby frrr » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:57 pm

Benjamin wrote:Can we expect a 4th single soon? I feel like 'Versace' kind of killed the momentum.
Yes, but nothing has been announced I don't understand what they are waiting for
frrr
Manager

Postby Madelinefs » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:07 pm

CBS Morning aired interview with Bruno today. It seems TV special promo is starting. :wink:

"CBS This Morning" co-host Gayle King recently caught up with Mars after attending his "24 Karat Magic" tour to learn more about some of his magic.
Full footage https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1130043107
Madelinefs
Manager

Postby Jesper » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:30 pm

really great interview
Jesper
Legend

Postby frrr » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:25 pm

With this promo lately a single would rise easily, oh well they will very likely release it on October 31 for adds :-?
frrr
Manager

Postby Mugen » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:48 pm

*rooting for "Finesse" to be released as a single*
Mugen
Personal Assistant

Postby Madelinefs » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:36 am

CBS This Morning uploaded it to their YT channel :wink:

Madelinefs
Manager

Postby Madelinefs » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:12 pm

Grammy Submissions

24K Magic – ROY, Video
That’s What I Like – SOY, R&B Perf, R&B Song, Video
24K Magic – AOY, R&B Album

Honestly? Meh. :roll:

-24k in ROTY... Really?!
-He's so not getting nom for Video since he was stupid enough to send both.
-Lack of Pop Solo submission

It's like he wants to end empty-handed. #disappointed. :cry:
Madelinefs
Manager

Postby lia » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:54 am

I know I am going to be attacked for saying this but I don't think that he deserves many Grammys for this album, I just feel it could have been a better album with all the time he took to make it. I will be more than happy if he can win one Grammy but I am not expecting a lot of nominations. That's what I like deserves a Grammy.
Seven number ones on Billboard Hot 100 and fourteen top ten hits since 2010/ Bruno Mars.
lia
Superstar

Postby frrr » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:13 am

Madelinefs wrote:Grammy Submissions

24K Magic – ROY, Video
That’s What I Like – SOY, R&B Perf, R&B Song, Video
24K Magic – AOY, R&B Album

Honestly? Meh. :roll:

-24k in ROTY... Really?!
-He's so not getting nom for Video since he was stupid enough to send both.
-Lack of Pop Solo submission

It's like he wants to end empty-handed. #disappointed. :cry:
WTF??

He was likely not to get the award anyway, but yes stupid move sending both videos. TWIL for SOY and not for ROTY? WTF are they doing?? At least the R&B nominations., yes huge miss at least the submission he could easily get a nomination in the pop solo category, sure he was not going to win. I guess it's a good strategy not to split the votes, but ffs send TWIL for its deserving ROTY nomination, even the Weekend submitted "Die Fo You" for pop.
Last edited by frrr on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
frrr
Manager

Postby frrr » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:13 am

lia wrote:I know I am going to be attacked for saying this but I don't think that he deserves many Grammys for this album, I just feel it could have been a better album with all the time he took to make it. I will be more than happy if he can win one Grammy but I am not expecting a lot of nominations. That's what I like deserves a Grammy.
He might take two in the R&B categories that will be it, he could have more nominations but 100% sure he won't get any major awards
frrr
Manager

Postby Madelinefs » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:16 am

lia wrote:I know I am going to be attacked for saying this but I don't think that he deserves many Grammys for this album, I just feel it could have been a better album with all the time he took to make it. I will be more than happy if he can win one Grammy but I am not expecting a lot of nominations. That's what I like deserves a Grammy.
Lmao. Take several seats.
Madelinefs
Manager

Postby frrr » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:39 am

TWIL (2 millions views per day) and JTWYA (half a million views per day) will cross the 1 billion mark anytime soon :D
frrr
Manager

Postby abi » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:16 am

I think the submissions are pretty fine, aside that he should've submitted "Versace" to Traditional R&B. But other than that, I think it's fine. Submitting something to Pop would be a waste since we all know Ed will win that anyway.

And I think they made the right decision for the SOTY & ROTY submissions. They usually give SOTY to Billboard Hot 100 number one hits so "That's What I Like" it is.
abi
Legend

Postby frrr » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:33 am

abi wrote:I think the submissions are pretty fine, aside that he should've submitted "Versace" to Traditional R&B. But other than that, I think it's fine. Submitting something to Pop would be a waste since we all know Ed will win that anyway.

And I think they made the right decision for the SOTY & ROTY submissions. They usually give SOTY to Billboard Hot 100 number one hits so "That's What I Like" it is.
That's not true, it's more the other way around, let's look at the past three years.
SOTY: Hello (#1 Hot 100), Thinking Out Loud, (#2 Hot 100), Stay With Me (#2 Hot 100)
ROTY: Hello (#1 Hot 100), UF (#1 Hot 100), Stay With Me (#2 Hot 100)

Even with these examples nothing is guaranteed, but I will tell you something they usually give the SOTY award to the song with fewer writers. : wink:
Last edited by frrr on Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frrr
Manager

Postby Madelinefs » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:27 pm

I think Adele can't be used as an example of anything. I know she was the big winner last year but she's always was and probably always will be the exeption. :lol:

At first Mars submissions took me by surprise but now they make much more sense now.

Sending several vids to VOTY is apparently more common that I've originally thought for ex Ed sent Shape Of You & Castle On The Hill. But it doesn't matter since Swift is likely taking it with her mediocrity.

I've been lurking in forums where Grammy voters hang out.
While Bruno's submissions seemed obvious to them the fact that he didn't sent anything to Pop Solo not only took them by surprise but won him credibility points. VOTF in Traditional Rnb perf could be too much too early especially since he submitted TWIL where possible and VOTF wasn'i exactly a hit. :P

Btw they're predicting Shape of You will follow UF! fate in SOTY due to the controveries, lost cases and added songrwiters bc of it.
Madelinefs
Manager

Postby frrr » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:37 pm

It can be used because was I discussing #1 hits. Some people are speculating that Mars didn't submit to pop has in order to not steal votes from Sheeran, since they both belong to Atlantic Records. I strongly believe them, plus it gives him more credibility just like you said. It's not like all the nominations for best traditional R&B performance are hits :lol:.

I find that quite weird it slims his chances unless he has a superb video of course. Pop Solo is 100% guaranteed for ED, but a nom wouldn't hurt. It wasn't an objection for "Stay With Me", I don't think Sheeran will win SOTY but let me see the noms and I will take a closer look, snce right now there are like 300 :lol:
frrr
Manager

Postby Madelinefs » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:35 am

I honestly think that the determing factor of his submission was the fact that he recorded an rnb album. It's not like he's the underdog. His history at the Grammys is more impressive that Sheeran's (21noms & 5wins vs 9noms & 2wins).
But the fact than Brunz had enough balls to submit 24k where it actually belongs makes me even more excited for his future. Now I can totally see him sumbitting wherever his material calls for. My gut feeling tells me Rock might be next in the line. :P
WHY? The fact that Gorilla made a comeback in his setlist may suggest it's the sound that he's currently missing. Looking back at his previous tour setlists were givin a lot of clues... :P
Madelinefs
Manager

Postby frrr » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:38 am

Madelinefs wrote:My gut feeling tells me Rock might be next in the line. :P
WHY? The fact that Gorilla made a comeback in his setlist may suggest it's the sound that he's currently missing. Looking back at his previous tour setlists were givin a lot of clues... :P
Something like Prince's album Purple Rain, MJ's Beat It, Dirty Diana, Lenny Kravitz fly away, beleive, again... hisentire discography :lol:. Yes I would love a pop rock album, pure pop-rock :wink: Best Rock album, rock song, and rock performance :wink:
frrr
Manager

Return to R&B & Urban