UKMIX Urban/R&B Album of the Year 2016 - WINNER!

Moderators: biscuits, stevyy, Benjamin

Postby ThaInfo1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:55 am

Jonathan wrote:Self Control is the best song of the album.
SEE.sza.RUN
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Loveguru » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:53 am

ThaInfo1 wrote:ZADDY FRANK. This album means so much to me. I'm one of the odd ones that thinks this is better than Channel Orange. I love this album.
this is his 3rd best tbh
Forever Young
Loveguru
Legend

Postby Hermes » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:44 am

Not really keen on Ariana, tbh. I enjoyed Yours Truly and its R&B lane but she lost me after that. Let Me Love You is ace, though !

I LOVE Blonde, Frank really came through with it. Pink + White is one of my favorite songs from last year, it's heavenly. 8-)
Hermes
Manager

Postby Ska8er » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:43 pm

ThaInfo1 wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Self Control is the best song of the album.
Rest In Peace Lilly!
Ska8er
Legend

Postby abi » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:58 am

The Weeknd Starboy
* Year-End Chart History:
Kiss Land (#25, 2013), Beauty Behind The Madness (#1, 2015)

* Voted by: Erotica, JSparksFan, NothingFails, Hermes, Biebz, DOSSOME, cheapthrills, Phoenixx, NavyUK, Ska8er, Jonathan, stevyy, spiritboy, xerxes, Unbreakable34, abi, truthless, leomedar, BeeBoy, Noahh, croatiaxtina, Rihab, GetBack
* Genre(s): R&B, Disco-Pop, Hip-Hop
* Highlights: "False Alarm”, “Party Monster”, “Starboy” (feat. Daft Punk), “Reminder”, “I Feel It Coming”

Starboy is the third studio album by Canadian singer and songwriter The Weeknd. It was released on November 25, 2016, by XO and Republic Records. The album features guest appearances from Daft Punk, Lana Del Rey, Future, and Kendrick Lamar. The album was supported by three singles: "Starboy", "I Feel It Coming" and "Party Monster".

Starboy received generally positive reviews from critics and debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 with 348,000 album-equivalent units, including 209,000 traditional album sales in the first week. It also debuted at number one on Billboard's Canadian Albums Chart.

At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream publications, the album received an average score of 67, based on 25 reviews. Annie Zaleski of The A.V. Club said, "The record is a few songs too long, and it loses steam as it progresses. But such imperfections are par for the course: He'd rather express everything he's feeling than put forth an airbrushed or idealized version of himself. In that sense, Starboy is one of the most confident releases of the year, one bold enough to reveal the cracks in The Weeknd's façade for the sake of resonant art." Michael Madden of Consequence of Sound said, "It would help if more of the album were idiosyncratic that way, but as is, Starboy is still the sound of Tesfaye knowing he has what it takes to be a major figure in pop music for a very long time."

Biebz wrote:This album is SO much better than BBTM, I can't :cry: :cry: :cry:
truthless wrote:I had my first listening of the album in my car on Friday, it's release day. The album.... Is f*cking LIT. I was caugh off guard when I turned on the volume of my car to max. It was amazing. True Colours OMG. #feels

I was flying when Star Girl with Lana Del Rey came on. It is so spacey... Damn! Loved it so much.

The whole album has such a good atmosphere. Some groove here and there daaamn.
Michiel wrote:This shits on his last album tbh. The production is so tight.

Lana should work with the same team of producers for her next studio effort :lol:.
cdschart wrote:BBTM is miles better but I can still appreciate this album. I don't understand how most of y'all hate Rockin' though. Stargirl and Reminder are the only ones that should've been cut. :-?

My favorites at the moment are I Feel It Coming, Six Feet Under, Party Monster, and Die For You.
Hermes wrote:The album is definitely in my top 3 of the year.
Party Monster is my clear favorite, but there are so many standouts : Six Feet Under, Reminder, Rockin, Starboy, I Feel It Coming, Secrets, Sidewalks, A Lonely Night, True Colors, Ordinary Life, Nothing Without You, Stargirl, etc... I just have to mention them all due to their quality !

* Trivia:
- This is The Weeknd’s third consecutive album to appear on the countdown.
- Starboy scored only 33 points less than last year’s Beauty Behind The Madness which placed at number one, that made him the first and the only male act to top the countdown in the decade.
abi
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:37 am

Starboy is on par with its predecessor, which was a huge surprise to me. That title track might be the Weeknd's best song to date, too.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby flsilva » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:36 am

I still prefer Trilogy and Kissland tho
flsilva
Personal Assistant

Postby ludichris » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:43 am

Half of the album sucked for me maybe I'm listening to it wrong :-?

Secrets and Nothing Without You on the other hand were two of the best album tracks I heard last year.
ludichris
Manager

Postby Loveguru » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:00 am

Next
Forever Young
Loveguru
Legend

Postby Ska8er » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:42 am

Blonde was my #2, Starboy my #5. Both great records!
Rest In Peace Lilly!
Ska8er
Legend

Postby Hermes » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:28 am

This is his best album, though his mixtapes remain his greatest material. I've always been a fan so whatever he releases, I'll just love it. My #3.

So the top 3 is Beyoncé, Rihanna and Solange ? Amazing. 8-)
Hermes
Manager

Postby Phoenixx » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:02 pm

Oh, that has been my #03! So still one Album missing 8-)
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby truthless » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:13 pm

My number two album of 2016. I still really like to listen to some songs.

I actually saw him live as a surprise guest on Drake's concert on Saturday. DAMN. We were dying in awe. The whole arena was SHOOK. He performed The Hills and Starboy. That shit cray.

And bitches... I'm going to see him live on Thursday. DAAAAAAMN. Part two I guess. I will listen to the whole album today and a few older songs for Thursday. 8-)
truthless
Once in a lifetime

Postby ThaInfo1 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:32 pm

Besides the 8 million "Can't Feel My Face" replicas, the album was pretty dope. I'd rank it the same as his last album.
SEE.sza.RUN
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby abi » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:29 pm

Solange A Seat at the Table
* Year-End Chart History:
Sol-Angel and The Hadley St. Dreams (#2, 2009)

* Voted by: mattsky, ControlFreak, LongingHeart, NothingFails, Ruthymon, Hermes, DOSSOME, thankfulforkelly, GypsyHeart, Loveguru, DnBLover, pscalp, intosoul, Ska8er, Jonathan, stevyy, xerxes, Madelinefs, leomedar, BeeBoy, heppolo, Noahh, bluecherry, croatiaxtina, nuttah, ThaInfo1, cristy, flsilva, Swingin
* Genre(s): Neo Soul, R&B, Funk, Psychedelic Soul
* Highlights: "Cranes in the Sky”, “Don’t Touch My Hair”, “Mad” (feat. Lil Wayne), “Don’t You Wait”, “Weary”

A Seat at the Table is the third studio album by American singer-songwriter Solange. It was released on September 30, 2016, by Saint Records and Columbia Records. While recording the album, Knowles released an EP, titled True (2012) and launched her own record label named Saint Records. Writing for the album began as early as 2008, while the recording sessions took place from 2013 to June 2016. Solange enlisted the variety of collaborators with American rappers Lil Wayne and Q-Tip, and fellow American singer-songwriters The-Dream, BJ the Chicago Kid, Kelly Rowland and Tweet, and musicians Sampha, Kelela and David Longstreth, among others.

The album was widely acclaimed by music critics and became Solange's first number-one album on the Billboard 200 in the United States, debuting with 46,000 copies sold (72,000 with additional album-equivalent units). On Metacritic, it has a score of 89 out of 100, based on 26 reviews. The album's lead single, "Cranes in the Sky" was released on October 5, 2016, and won the Grammy for Best R&B Performance, becoming Solange's first Grammy nomination and win.

hellohello wrote:I love this album. She really excelled with the production and the vocals. I think she has been taking notes from the Neo-Soul acts like D'Angelo and Lauryn Hill, her sis (obviously), Aaliyah (maybe), Minnie Riperton (maybe), Janet Jackson (maybe) and the PBR&B genre. Every track is smooth and compliment each other really well. Solange has shown how unique she is with this album. :D
intosoul wrote:Every time I listen to this album, I discover new things.
It really is a perfect body of work.

It reminds me of "The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill" a lot...
urbanmusik wrote:This is such an accomplished body of work, Solange should be very proud. On my third listen right now, Solange has created such a rich soundscape to get lost and contemplate in.

I can't wait to fully digest this album lyrically, there's so much poetry in there. Cranes in the Sky is the track that's really stood out to me most so far. It contains such a creative and fitting metaphor for depression, while the verses create such a heartbreaking portrayal of the things we'll do to try and fill that void in our lives. Mathew and especially Tina's interludes are particularly powerful as well.

The visuals for the two singles are stunning, agree that the aesthetics are so on point.

As for people pitting Solange and Beyoncé against each other, that's ridiculous. Both sisters would hate it. They're both extremely creative individuals who touch on similar subjects due to having the same upbringing. But they're individuals with different personalities and an array of talents.
Taurus wrote:She definitely shows vision on this album. I definitely hold firm to my belief that its very akin to music from D-Angelo, maybe Voodoo era? Instrumentally its very relaxing. I really like it so far but I cant lie and say I miss the pop melodies that were on True. True was absolutely perfect. This album is a expansive experience. You really need to give it time. Its almost like a movie how it plays. I will say that this is her strongest ALBUM. Its cohesive in feel, sound and aesthetic. She really put together something solid. I miss True though :( Im sorry
ThaInfo1 wrote:I'm in love. I love everything it stands for. I love the minimalist approach to the production with the rich harmonies. Don't Touch My Hair is my immediate favorite from a first listen.

* Trivia:
- With the total points of 320, the album actually garnered bigger points that the number one albums for the last two years.
abi
Legend

Postby abi » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:46 pm

So yes, as the whole universe predicted, the top two is between these two beautiful, talented ladies.

Some trivia for our top two:

- Beyoncé was always ranked at number one with each of her studio albums here in the countdown, except for the re-release of her second studio album, B'Day: Deluxe Edition which was placed at #7.

- While Rihanna hasn't scored any number one yet here, all her albums were always placed high in the countdown - the highest being 2007's smash album Good Girl Gone Bad and 2009's Rated R both as the runner-up's while the lowest is the Hip-Hop-leaning Talk That Talk at #8 in 2011.

- Both albums received a major number of votes with 40 and 37 each respectively and share 34 mutual votes. For comparison, last year's number one only received 27 votes while 2014's number one received 25.

- This year's number one has the biggest points any albums have received ever since I hosted this countdown in 2013, while the number two album is currently the third biggest.

Albums with the Biggest Points since 2013

1. This Year's Number One
2. Beyoncé - Beyoncé (472 points)
3. This Year's Number Two
4. Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience (328 points)
5. Solange - A Seat at the Table (320 points)

So, who's gonna be number one?
abi
Legend

Postby JSparksFan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:51 pm

I never got around to listening to Solange's album in full, but "F.U.B.U." is fantastic.

Lemonade was my #1, so I'm hoping Bey takes the crown. RiRi is my girl forever, but Anti was sub-par for her.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:23 pm

'Langie was my number one album. Even surpassed her sister's with how much I love the album. Words can't describe how much I love that album. This is an album I want to introduce to my kids (well...If I have any when I get older). I'm so happy she won a grammy for Cranes In The Sky,

You can't go wrong with this top 3. All 3 of them where in my top 3.
SEE.sza.RUN
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby tyguy723 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:59 pm

Time for ANTI to get that crown 8-)
tyguy723
Manager

Postby Hermes » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:22 pm

Solange was my #6. She deserves all the acclaim she has with this album, it's so full or pride and tenderness that it's beautiful. I actually enjoyed it more than her sister's album.

Beyoncé is probably the winner, but ANTI is THE one in my book. Rihanna gave her all for this one, it's absolutely brilliant and I hope she pursues that direction for R9.
Hermes
Manager

Postby Loveguru » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:18 am

Slay sis
Forever Young
Loveguru
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:12 am

If Anti was 4 tracks shorter (ok, 3... Finish with LOTB), it would be a modern day urban masterpiece, and would have won in any other year where Lemonade was not up for competition. Funnily enough, I've never played any of Anti's deluxe tracks.

If we exclude the visuals, I would rank Solange #1. Her album is the best.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby Ska8er » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:35 am

Solange's album was a pleasant surprise and my #4. I still play Cranes and Mad on a regular basis.
Rest In Peace Lilly!
Ska8er
Legend

Postby tyguy723 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:22 am

DnBLover wrote:If Anti was 4 tracks shorter (ok, 3... Finish with LOTB), it would be a modern day urban masterpiece, and would have won in any other year where Lemonade was not up for competition. Funnily enough, I've never played any of Anti's deluxe tracks.

If we exclude the visuals, I would rank Solange #1. Her album is the best.
:o you're seriously missing out on Sex With God :oops: Pose is kinda trashy I'll admit, and Goodnight Gotham is nothing but an interlude :lol:
tyguy723
Manager

Postby Gravity » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:34 am

I love Solo's album lyrically but musically...boring AF. True was much better.
Gravity
Superstar

Return to R&B & Urban