UKMIX Urban/R&B Album of the Year 2016 - WINNER!

Moderators: biscuits, Benjamin, stevyy

Postby croatiaxtina » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:06 am

tyguy723 wrote:Time for ANTI to get that crown 8-)
croatiaxtina
Legend

Postby abi » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:12 am

DnBLover wrote:Funnily enough, I've never played any of Anti's deluxe tracks.
I'm with you. Even "Sex With Me", I get that song is a sexy R&B track that many Urban fans will love easily but I just don't like it. The other two, yeah, I don't remember how they sound like.

Aside from the deluxe tracks, ANTI is a damn solid album. It's actually one of my favorite Rihanna albums along with Rated R. Unapologetic used to be ahead of it for me but when I decided to listen to the album the other day, many songs sound dated as hell now. :lol:
abi
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:34 pm

Y'all are tripping. Pose is a BOP and a half. But yeah...they don't fit the smokers vibe of the album.
SEE.sza.RUN
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Loveguru » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:59 am

Abi might as well post the worst kept secret :lol:
Forever Young
Loveguru
Legend

Postby abi » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:48 am

Loveguru wrote:Abi might as well post the worst kept secret :lol:
Let's not act that you didn't wait years to announce the top two zzz. :lol:
abi
Legend

Postby abi » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:06 am

LADIES AND GENTLEMAN
ARE YOU GUYS READY TO MEET OUR RUNNER UP?

Starting Off In A 3-Member Girl Group,
She Then Went Solo and Quickly Became One of the Biggest & Most Respected Acts Worldwide

Having Received a Bunch of Number One Records On Her Own, Including One of The Most Critical-Acclaimed Albums of 2016

As Well As Several Chart-Topping Collaborations With Fellow Icons Such As JAY Z, Sean Paul and Coldplay

And She Recently Made A Headline at the Music's Biggest Night, 2017 GRAMMY Awards

For Taking Shots & Facetiming Her Friend in the Middle of Somebody Else's Performance

it's RIHANNA!

CONGRATULATION! 8-) 8-) 8-)
abi
Legend

Postby abi » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:07 am

Rihanna ANTI
* Year-End Chart History:
Good Girl Gone Bad (#2, 2007), Rated R (#2, 2009), LOUD (#6, 2007), Good Girl Gone Bad (#5, ‘00s), Rated R (#26, 2007), Talk That Talk (#8, 2011)

* Voted by: Erotica, mattsky, LongingHeart, JSparksFan, NothingFails, Ruthymon, Hermes, Biebz, thankfulforkelly, nas4life123, cheapthrills, GyspsyHeart, DnBLover, NavyUK, pscalp, intosoul, Ska8er, Jonathan, Gravity, stevyy, spiritboy, xerxes, Unbreakable34, abi, tyguy723, truthless, BeeBoy, Noahh, bluecherry, croatiaxtina, Rihab, nuttah, ludichris, ThaInfo1, cristy, GetBack, flsilva
* Genre(s): R&B, Hip-Hop, Dancehall, Alternative R&B, Pop
* Highlights: "Kiss It Better”, “Needed Me”, “Love On The Brain”, “Work” (feat. Drake), “Consideration” (feat. SZA), “Desperado”

Anti is the eighth studio album by Barbadian singer Rihanna. It was released on January 28, 2016, through Westbury Road and Roc Nation. The singer began planning the record in 2014, at which time she left her previous label Def Jam and joined Roc Nation. Work continued into 2015, during which she released three singles including "FourFiveSeconds", which reached the top 10 in several markets; they were ultimately removed from the final track listing. Anti was made available for free digital download on January 28 through Tidal and was released to online music stores for paid purchase on January 29.

As executive producer, Rihanna contributed to most of the album's lyrics and collaborated with producers including Jeff Bhasker, Boi-1da, DJ Mustard, Hit-Boy, Brian Kennedy, Timbaland and No I.D. to achieve her desired sound. The efforts resulted in a departure from Rihanna's previous dance and club music genres and created a primarily pop and R&B album, with elements of dancehall and soul. The producers incorporated dark, sparsely layered, minimalist song structures, with most of Anti's lyrics dealing with the complexities of romantic love and self-assurance.

The album was released to positive reviews from music critics and numerous publications included it on their lists of the best albums of 2016. It peaked at number one on the US Billboard 200, moving 166,000 equivalent-album units in its first full-tracking week, and after two days of its release was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) as a result of Samsung purchasing one million copies of the album in advance that were then given away as a free download. It was promoted with four singles, including the single "Work", featuring Canadian rapper Drake, which peaked at number one on the US Billboard Hot 100 becoming Rihanna's fourteenth number one song on the chart. To further promote the album, Rihanna embarked on the Anti World Tour in 2016.

tyguy723 wrote:Rihanna’s ANTI might have taken a tad too long for the Navy at first, but good things come to those who wait. Laced with a dark moody atmosphere and true her classic I don’t give a f*** attitude, Rihanna delivered her most cohesive body of work yet.
MusicJunk90 wrote:I have not spoke too fondly of RiRi music of late, but I FUXXXXXX with this :o

Glad she scrapped FFS, BBHMM, AO and went back to the drawing board. Didn't envisage her releasing a full PBR&B album, but it's possibly her strongest set to date alongside Rated R, but maybe because this is the type of music I'm into. That dark, alternative R&B Tinashe/SZA/Early Weeknd type vibe.

I guess her pop fans will be disappointed though!!

Rated R tracks like G4L would fit perfectly on ANTI too & that was always my favourite RiRi album.
truthless wrote:Had my 15th listen of the album in the train. Might be even more. I stan for this album. And usually I would never use a word like that.
Noahh wrote:I think why this album gets praised by both fans and non-fans is because with this album Rihanna shows artistic growth. It's by far her most cohesive and creative work sonically. She's stepping outside her comfort zone and this album feels like it is truly her. You can tell how invested she was in creating this album as well by her (co)writing on all songs except for the cover she did on the album.

I'm blown away by this album. It's so good. I was devastated that "A Night" wasn't on the tracklist initially but I'm happy that it will be on the deluxe edition.

Album is on repeat. 8-)
samra wrote:JUST FINISHED!!!! IN A TRANCE :cry: :cry: :cry:

AAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: MAMA SERVING US VOCALSZZZZ!!! YAS GAWD! YAS! I'M MORE THAN A LITTLE PRESSEDT AT THE NUMBER OF INTERLUDES AND THE FACT THAT PROMISED ISN'T ON THERE BUT YAAAAS @ EVERYTHING ELSE!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: KISS IT BETTER!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: LOVE ON THE BRAIN!! :cry: :cry: :cry: YEAH I SAID IT! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Hermes wrote:This album is turning from a fan to a stan. I LIVE. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Biebz wrote:Same Ol' Mistakes :o Finally the Rihanna I've been waiting for
Pompeii wrote:Not to sound dramatic but I think it could be one of my favourite albums ever. Obviously time will tell but it's just totally my cup of tea and couldn't have come at a better time. I don't know if it will go down as a classic album to the general public but for me it definitely is.

* Trivia:
- With the total points of 388, the album has the third biggest number of points received of all time.
- ANTI becomes Rihanna’s third number two album on this countdown. Her previous runner up’s Good Girl Gone Band & Rated R were both held off the top spot by Alicia Keys (whose album placed at number eleven this year)

Last edited by abi on Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
abi
Legend

Postby abi » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:11 am

Surprise. :lol: :lol: :lol:
abi
Legend

Postby croatiaxtina » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:53 am

:lol: i was reading and celebrating... I thought it's Beyonce.

Anyways best 2 albums for top 2 spots.
croatiaxtina
Legend

Postby Loveguru » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:30 pm

abi wrote:
Loveguru wrote:Abi might as well post the worst kept secret :lol:
Let's not act that you didn't wait years to announce the top two zzz. :lol:
:lol: :lol:

receipts please
Forever Young
Loveguru
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:35 pm

Yes at everyone stanning for this album.

I love it. Still do. Her second best (after Rated R) to me.

I will see the AUNTIE era had some of her best promo/award show performances ever.

I have no Idea who could possibly be number 1 :lol:
SEE.sza.RUN
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby nas4life123 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:04 pm

my # 2 as well 8-)

Queen of #2
JOJO
nas4life123
Superstar

Postby Hermes » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:27 pm

My #1, and my favorite album of the year. I've always loved Rih from the Rated R era to now but this album made me love her even more. I can't even name highlights because most of it is amazing. I'm so glad she decided to take it up a notch and deliver her most polished and cohesive body of work. It is unquestionably her best album, imo (and it would be near flawless without Pose and GG, tbh). Thanks for this masterpiece, Rih ! 8-)

Excited to see who's #1, woooo ! :lol:
Hermes
Manager

Postby tyguy723 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:28 pm

Rih was robbed :cry:

It was kinda obvious from the start tho that Bey would win :lol:
tyguy723
Manager

Postby abi » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:13 pm

Why is nobody asking about this part? :cry:

abi wrote:Starting Off In A 3-Member Girl Group,
She Then Went Solo and Quickly Became One of the Biggest & Most Respected Acts Worldwide
I did a deep research through Wikipedia and I found this:

In 2003, Rihanna formed a musical trio with two of her classmates. She was discovered in her home country Barbados by American record producer Evan Rogers. Without a name or any material, the girl group managed to land an audition with Rogers who commented, "The minute Rihanna walked into the room, it was like the other two girls didn't exist".
DC3 was shooked. :cry:
abi
Legend

Postby Hugo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:18 pm

abi wrote:
In 2003, Rihanna formed a musical trio with two of her classmates. She was discovered in her home country Barbados by American record producer Evan Rogers. Without a name or any material, the girl group managed to land an audition with Rogers who commented, "The minute Rihanna walked into the room, it was like the other two girls didn't exist".
If I were one of the other girls after witnessing vocals like these I'd pretend I didn't exist too and that I didn't know pon. :lol:
"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby JSparksFan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:24 pm

Anti has some terrific highlights, but, as a whole, I think it's one of her weakest LPs. I may feel differently about it in a few years' time, though.
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby abi » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:00 pm

Beyoncé LEMONADE
* Year-End Chart History:
B’Day: Deluxe Edition (#7, 2007), I Am… Sasha Fierce (#1, 2008), B’Day (#4, ‘00s), I Am… Sasha Fierce (#6, ‘00s), Dangerously in Love (#9, ‘00s), 4 (#1, 2011), Beyoncé (#1, 2013)

* Voted by: Erotica, mattsky, LongingHeart, JSparksFan, NothingFails, Ruthymon, Hermes, Biebz, DOSSOME, thankfulforkelly, nas4life123, cheapthrills, GyspsyHeart, Phoenixx, Loveguru, DnBLover, NavyUK, pscalp, intosoul, Ska8er, Jonathan, Gravity, stevyy, spiritboy, xerxes, Unbreakable34, Madelinefs, abi, truthless, leomedar, BeeBoy, Noahh, bluecherry, croatiaxtina, Rihab, ThaInfo1, Hugo, cristy, GetBack, flsilva
* Genre(s): R&B, Reggae, Pop, Soul, Hip-Hop
* Highlights: "Sorry”, “Formation”, “All Night”, “Freedom” (feat. Kendrick Lamar), “Hold Up”, “Daddy Lessons”, “6 Inch” (feat. The Weeknd), “Love Drought”, “Don’t Hurt Yourself”

Lemonade is the sixth studio album by American singer Beyoncé. It was released on April 23, 2016, by Parkwood Entertainment and distributed through Columbia Records. The record is Beyoncé's second "visual album", following her eponymous 2013 record, and a concept album according to official description: "a conceptual project based on every woman’s journey of self knowledge and healing". While its predecessor featured individual music videos for each track, Lemonade was accompanied upon its release by a one-hour film aired on HBO. Primarily an R&B album, Lemonade encompasses a variety of genres, including pop, reggae, blues, rock, hip hop, soul, funk, Americana, country, gospel, electronic and trap. The album features guest vocals from James Blake, Kendrick Lamar, The Weeknd and Jack White. The album contains samples and interpolations of a number of hip-hop and rock songs.

The record was made available for online streaming on April 23, through the streaming service Tidal, which Beyoncé co-owns, was released for paid purchase through the service the following day. It was later launched for purchase by track or album to Amazon Music and the iTunes Store on April 25, and at physical retailers on May 6. The record was widely acclaimed by critics, who praised it as Beyoncé's boldest work to date. Lemonade debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200, selling 653,000 copies in its first week (485,000 in pure-sales), earning Beyoncé her sixth consecutive number-one album in the country. The album was supported by five singles: "Formation", "Sorry", "Hold Up", "Freedom" featuring Kendrick Lamar, and "All Night"; alongside a promotional single, "Daddy Lessons" featuring Dixie Chicks. In April 2016, Beyoncé embarked on the Formation World Tour, to promote the album. Several music publications included the album among the best of 2016, such as Rolling Stone listing Lemonade at number one. As of December 2016, the album sold 1.52 million copies in the United States, making it the country's third-best-selling album of the year.

At the 59th Grammy Awards, Lemonade was nominated for nine awards, winning for Best Urban Contemporary Album and Best Music Video. Its leading single "Formation" received nominations for Record of the Year, Song of the Year, and Best Music Video, while "Hold Up", "Don't Hurt Yourself" and "Freedom" were nominated in pop, rock, and rap categories.

Hugo wrote:WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
Hugo wrote:fave song of the year for me. ok, i'm done´

i'm done ok im' done
Hugo wrote:GFGHRDFHHGJHGFJHGFGFGHRDFHHGJHGFJHGFGFGHRDFHHGJHGFJHGFGFGHRDFHHGJHGFJHGFGFGHRDFHHGJHGFJHGFGFGHRDFHHGJHGFJHGFGFGHRDFHHGJHGFJHGFGFGHRDFHHGJHGFJHGFGFGHRDFHHGJHGFJHGFGFGHRDFHHGJHGFJHGFGFGHRDFHHGJHGFJHGFGFGHRDFHHGJHGFJHGFGFGHRDFHHGJHGFJHGFGFGHRDFHHGJHGFJHGFGFGHRDFHHGJHGFJHGFGFGHRDFHHGJHGFJHGFGFGHRDFHHGJHGFJHGF
Hugo wrote:YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSS
Hermes wrote:I can't believe she's served actual flawlessness since 2011. 4/ST/Lemonade truly are her best albums, but it especially amazes me how she gets even better with time while others generally decline when it comes to offering quality.
Nackar wrote:I am so, so glad she stopped going the poppy route. Her poppiest album to date, IMO, is also her worst, again, IMO: IASF.

Since then she's become more and more interesting to me with each album she's released. This is my favourite so far, for sure. If that means no longer scoring multiple pop smashes per era, I'll gladly take that.
menime123 wrote:Holy shit where did Freedom come from?
ThaInfo1 wrote:Beyoncé Giselle Knowles-Carter…Idk how you keep improving but you do. Don’t stop. It's such an inspiration and makes me want to improve daily. I still think I love the Beyoncé album more but I can see this possibly beating it. Too soon to tell though. This is legit her story since the last album and it’s done so beautifully. I believe it’s about finding a power in forgiveness. I don’t think she’s telling everyone to forgive their sorry ass broke baby daddies, but for her…it was what her heart told her. And I’m sure Jay had to do some hard work to win her heart back. Also it dabs into how she had been affect by all the black lives matter situations as well, which is so important and feels my heart with so much joy that she speaks out about. So relatable, so masterfully done. Thank you, Beyoncé. So proud to be a stan of yours.
samra wrote:She experimented with so many different sounds and genres on this album, love it! Some of my faves:

Don't Hurt Yourself: :o Wasn't expecting a rock song from her but it's amazing! Top 2 or 3 off the album tbh

Daddy Lessons: Now country is definitely not what I was expecting but I'm here for it. This > Tayloo's discography

Hold Up: Love the island vibe, just wanna groooove to it. Plus the Soulja Boy/Keri Hilson sample at the end... Not sure if that's shade or not...... Mess :lol: :lol: :lol:

6 Inch: The chorus is soooo sexy. The Weeknd sounds so good with Bey.

Pray You Catch Me: What a statement making way to open the album.
Guru wrote:The album is so tasteful with every listen. She is continuously evolving with each album and I love that. I'd hate more pop jams like she's stuck where she started off. Someone mentioned here that the closing track being Formation says a lot about the album. And it does. If Formation is the closing track on the album, and it has such an intensive message, one can only imagine what the rest of the album is all about.

Also, many other artists just give us albums. No theme (well they think there is) etc. Beyoncé continues to break barriers. Music but with themes. Last time we had the visual album. Now we get a movie that incorporates her songs into it. It could have literally been another 12 track album with videos. But she finds ways to get the same message across in a different way.

I love Sandcastles. That. Piano. And then Freedom. I can hear she gives her all in the chorus.
DnBLover wrote:Pray You Catch Me is this album's best song. It's breathtaking.
But Daddy's Lessons is so unexpected and brilliant at the same time... That I would probably rank it #1 as this album's most remarking song.

* Trivia:
- With the total points of 475, the album is officially the biggest album in the history of UKMIX Urban/R&B Album of the Year Countdown, beating Self-Titled with only 3 points behind.

abi
Legend

Postby abi » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:01 pm

That's it y'all.

Thank you so much for all the love. Thank you also for participating & following this countdown. Really, really appreciate all the love! <3 Hope you guys enjoyed every bit of it.

See y'all again later this year!
8-)
abi
Legend

Postby Hugo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:10 pm

My posts are so insightful :lol: :lol:

Best album ever.

Never forget

"You are Beyoncé!"
"Thank You."
Hugo
HAL 9000

Postby LongingHeart » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:30 pm

Thanks for hosting! Deserved winner
Shame on me for changing.... no no no... shame on you for stayin' the same.
LongingHeart
Manager

Postby Hermes » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:09 pm

Yep, a deserving winner though I prefer ANTI quite a lot. My #7. The album has many highlights and I like the story-telling in it, it feels like a full-fledged experience. Love Drought is the best on it, truly a GEM. 8-)

Thanks for hosting this, abi ! Visuals and organization on point, as always. Not everybody have those !
Hermes
Manager

Postby abi » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:47 am

My votes:

1. DEAN - 130 Mood : TRBL
To be honest, I was having a hard time deciding which one should be number one, between this and LEMONADE. I eventually went with this though. A masterpiece. A solid Alternative R&B album and I just enjoy every bit of it. I like that he's not afraid to experiment with a lot of stuff and the visuals were on point. Can't wait for the next one although I'm very afraid he wouldn't be able top this.

2. Beyonce - LEMONADE
While it's not my favorite Beyonce album, it is a very solid body of work. I remember being so impressed with "Formation", "Freedom" and "Don't Hurt Yourself" on my first listen. I just wish the ballads were stronger ("Pray You Catch Me" and "Sandcastle"). Those two were what prevented me from putting the album at number one.

3. Bruno Mars - 24k Magic
My favorite Bruno album with no doubt. The throwback R&B sound is everything. A shame the singles so far aren't as big as his previous releases but it's kinda understandable because of the genre.

4. Rihanna - Anti
Definitely one of my most favorite Rihanna albums along with Unapologetic & Rated R. I wasn't really into it at first but it grew on my a lot during the end of 2016. "Kiss It Better", "Consideration" and "Love On The Brain" are definitely the album's highlights for me.

5. Jay Park - Everything You Wanted
A very typical yet enjoyable Contemporary R&B/Hip-Hop album. If only he put more efforts into the lyrics instead of the production, I might have ranked him higher.

6. Zayn - Mind of Mine
This is the album where the good songs are really really good, yet the bad ones are just bad and forgettable. "She" is forever my jam. I wish he had been in the right mind & health when he released the album. There are so many potentials wasted with this.

7. BIGBANG - MADE
8. Gallant - Ology
9. The Weeknd - Starboy
10. Anderson .Paak - Malibu
11. Ariana Grande - Dangerous Woman
12. Jojo - Mad Love
13. Yuna - Chapters

I really, really like/love all my top 6 albums although I can see myself only play the first four albums years from now. I feel like album #5 & #6, although they are good, they feel very current and will get dated easily.
abi
Legend

Postby Phoenixx » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:28 pm

Yessss, Bey at #01! 8-)
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby JSparksFan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:02 am

Ah, Lemonade, my favourite album of 2016. After the self-titled effort, I didn't have any real expectations for its follow-up. "Formation" had a powerful message, but, considering it was her weakest lead single to date, the hype for Lemonade remained modest for me. Then the album dropped, I heard "Daddy Lessons" and "6 Inch", watched the full-length visual online, and slowly grew to love, or at least strongly appreciate, each track. I don't think it's eclipsed 4 for me, but it's easily her second best LP, and to still be recording such strong albums so far into her career is a massive achievement. So, overall, it's an expected #1, but a very well-deserved one!

Thanks for hosting this, Abi! You did a fine job, as always!
"You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read." - James Baldwin
JSparksFan
Legend

Return to R&B & Urban