Toni Braxton | Sex and Cigarettes

Moderators: urbanmusik, Benjamin

Postby Loose » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:47 pm

She's clearly not an album artist for me (I feel every album of her is packed with filler-ish material) but Deadwood and Long As I Live add up to the best tracks in her back catalogue.
Baby, hell no, that's not the way it goes. It's all about me tonight.
Loose
Legend

Postby TIfan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:55 pm

Loose wrote:She's clearly not an album artist for me (I feel every album of her is packed with filler-ish material) but Deadwood and Long As I Live add up to the best tracks in her back catalogue.
I LOVE her first two albums. They slayed hard for me.
TIfan
Legend

Postby Loose » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:04 pm

TIfan wrote:
Loose wrote:She's clearly not an album artist for me (I feel every album of her is packed with filler-ish material) but Deadwood and Long As I Live add up to the best tracks in her back catalogue.
In fact, I've made a Spotify playlist with 14 tracks only (2 off each album minus "Libra"). :oops: It looks like this:

01. Another Sad Love Song [Toni Braxton]
02. Seven Whole Days [Toni Braxton]
03. Un-break My Heart [Secrets]
04. Let It Flow [Secrets]
05. He Wasn't Man Enough [The Heat]
06. Spanish Guitar [The Heat]
07. Hit The Freeway [More Than A Woman]
08. And I Love You [More Than A Woman]
09. Yesterday [Pulse]
10. Pulse [Pulse]
11. Roller Coaster [Love, Marriage & Divorce]
12. Hurt You [Love, Marriage & Divorce]
13. Deadwood [Sex & Cigarettes]
14. Long As I Live [Sex & Cigarettes]
She's quite consistent and always delivers 2 very memorable songs each era.
Baby, hell no, that's not the way it goes. It's all about me tonight.
Loose
Legend

Postby MusicJunk90 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:17 pm

Loose wrote:
TIfan wrote:
In fact, I've made a Spotify playlist with 14 tracks only (2 off each album minus "Libra"). :oops: It looks like this:

09. Yesterday [Pulse]
10. Pulse [Pulse]
:o :o :o What about "Where Did We Go Wrong" from Love, Marriage Divorce? Her voice on that....in fact BOTH their voices on that track, but Toni' in particular, I could listen to it all day! I also really love "I Wish" & "I'd Rather Go Broke". The whole album is just so well done. I really hope they drop a Part II someday.

I've been listening to Toni all week. I think it was seeing Bey's Halloween costume.
MusicJunk90
Personal Assistant

Postby GetBack » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:25 am

Her only filler heavy album to me is The Heat. Her first two albums and Libra are three of the best R&B albums ever. Love, Marriage and Divorce doesn't fall behind as well. I wish she worked with Babyface again for her next album.
GetBack
Legend

Postby Guru » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:56 am

GetBack wrote:Her only filler heavy album to me is The Heat. Her first two albums and Libra are three of the best R&B albums ever. Love, Marriage and Divorce doesn't fall behind as well. I wish she worked with Babyface again for her next album.
For me they’ve proven that 2 decades later (Debut 1993 and Secrets 1996 and LMD 2013) they’ve never lost that chemistry. Why fix something that isn’t broken? She should continue working with him as a producer. They make baby making music 8-)
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Pawlu84 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:27 am

I never heard her first 2 album but Libra and More than a woman are my favourite.
Pawlu84
Manager

Postby RayRay » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:47 pm

Loose wrote:In fact, I've made a Spotify playlist with 14 tracks only (2 off each album minus "Libra"). :oops: It looks like this:

09. Yesterday [Pulse]
10. Pulse [Pulse]
Where's That Somebody Was You? One of her best songs ever!
RayRay
Legend

Postby RayRay » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:47 pm

Pawlu84 wrote:I never heard her first 2 album but Libra and More than a woman are my favourite.
Her first two albums are her best by far. You should really check them out. Filled with single material. :D
RayRay
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:14 am

Pawlu84 wrote:I never heard her first 2 album but Libra and More than a woman are my favourite.
If you love Libra, you will love her first two.

Although, her first two albums are what made Toni Braxton the bad bitch that she is. How on earth you ain't listen to them? :evil:
Serby wrote:Cuz you ugly and can't relate
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Loveguru » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:18 pm

Her debut is POP brilliance.
yes I said pop and said what I said.

As long as i live is one of the best tracks of the year
Forever Young
Loveguru
Legend

Postby Guru » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:52 pm

RayRay wrote:
Loose wrote:In fact, I've made a Spotify playlist with 14 tracks only (2 off each album minus "Libra"). :oops: It looks like this:

09. Yesterday [Pulse]
10. Pulse [Pulse]
Where's That Somebody Was You? One of her best songs ever!
That was a feature on Kenny G’s album but yes, brilliant song!
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby TIfan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:04 pm

She could definitely get a Grammy nod for this. They love her.
TIfan
Legend

Postby Guru » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:15 pm

I really wish she wouldn’t take so long a break between albums!
Guru
Guru

Postby Controlfreak » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:17 pm

Her first three albums slay.
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby MO_FAN95 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:03 am

Controlfreak wrote:Her first three albums slay.
Yes! Especially her debut!
MO_FAN95
Manager

Postby GetBack » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:47 pm

Guru wrote:
GetBack wrote:A Grammy nod for would be good for her. :cry: :cry: :cry:
I feel it deserves it! At least a nod!
Oh my goodness! :o :o :o :o This album just got her three nods! 8-) 8-) 8-) This is the most she got for an album since Secrets (which also got three nods, two of which were awarded to Toni). :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

If the same voters/rules applied before, Libra would have surely been there as well! :cry: :cry: :cry:

What a great time to be a Toni fan! Hope she wins at least one! H.E.R. and Lalah Hathaway are her biggest competition. :oops: :oops: :oops:
GetBack
Legend

Postby Guru » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:05 pm

GetBack wrote:
Guru wrote:
GetBack wrote:A Grammy nod for would be good for her. :cry: :cry: :cry:
I feel it deserves it! At least a nod!
Oh my goodness! :o :o :o :o This album just got her three nods! 8-) 8-) 8-) This is the most she got for an album since Secrets (which also got three nods, two of which were awarded to Toni). :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

If the same voters/rules applied before, Libra would have surely been there as well! :cry: :cry: :cry:

What a great time to be a Toni fan! Hope she wins at least one! H.E.R. and Lalah Hathaway are her biggest competition. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Yasssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Guru
Guru

Postby MusicJunk90 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:02 pm

Unfortunately she'll lose to H.E.R/Daniel Caesar for R&B Performance and H.E.R for Best R&B Album. The fact that H.E.R has FIVE nominations including Album Of The Year & Best New Artist means The Academy are clearly big fans. I think she'll lose to Boo'd Up (which is nominated for Song Of The Year) for R&B Song.

I do think it's gonna be tight though and Toni will end up in the top 2 for all/most of her categories. The Grammys love Toni...but H.E.R and Ella will be difficult to beat this year as both have had such good years. It's a shame H.E.R is nominated for R&B Album instead of Urban Contemporary Album otherwise I would have said Toni will win that one.
MusicJunk90
Personal Assistant

Postby ThaInfo1 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:53 pm

Don’t count Toni out though. She’s a Grammy darling. They tend to go her way with whatever she has been nominated for.
Serby wrote:Cuz you ugly and can't relate
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby GetBack » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:40 am

MusicJunk90 wrote:Unfortunately she'll lose to H.E.R/Daniel Caesar for R&B Performance and H.E.R for Best R&B Album. The fact that H.E.R has FIVE nominations including Album Of The Year & Best New Artist means The Academy are clearly big fans. I think she'll lose to Boo'd Up (which is nominated for Song Of The Year) for R&B Song.

I do think it's gonna be tight though and Toni will end up in the top 2 for all/most of her categories. The Grammys love Toni...but H.E.R and Ella will be difficult to beat this year as both have had such good years. It's a shame H.E.R is nominated for R&B Album instead of Urban Contemporary Album otherwise I would have said Toni will win that one.
SZA was a big nominee last year and she went home empty-handed.
GetBack
Legend

Postby MusicJunk90 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:50 am

GetBack wrote:
MusicJunk90 wrote:Unfortunately she'll lose to H.E.R/Daniel Caesar for R&B Performance and H.E.R for Best R&B Album. The fact that H.E.R has FIVE nominations including Album Of The Year & Best New Artist means The Academy are clearly big fans. I think she'll lose to Boo'd Up (which is nominated for Song Of The Year) for R&B Song.

SZA was a big nominee last year and she went home empty-handed.
Outside of BNA SZA's noms were just in the urban categories though last year. But time will tell. I know the Grammys love them some Toni!
MusicJunk90
Personal Assistant

Postby ludichris » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:56 am

I think she deserves to win R&B Performance and Song for Long As I Live as that song is stunning, timeless perfection. By far the best song in those categories.
ludichris
Manager

Postby Guru » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:22 pm

ludichris wrote:I think she deserves to win R&B Performance and Song for Long As I Live as that song is stunning, timeless perfection. By far the best song in those categories.
I can see me blasting that song 20 years from now, like a song from Secrets!
Guru
Guru

Postby GetBack » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:43 am

She needs to win one at least, "Long as I Live" is one of the best R&B songs in the dying classic R&B age of the 2010s. :cry: :cry: :cry:
GetBack
Legend

Return to R&B & Urban