Toni Braxton | Sex and Cigarettes

Moderators: urbanmusik, stevyy, Benjamin

Postby Gravity » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:12 pm

It just feels disrespectful to have only 8 tracks after so many years and label it an album. It's an EP :-?
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby Guru » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:44 pm

I always thought that since an artist last album to their new album, the amount of time is what took them to record this many songs. So she had 8yrs and let’s give her 1yr touring credit, you are trying to tell me she took 7 years to record 8 songs? Some artIsts just shove it in your face and take to support for granted.
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby RayRay » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:53 pm

When I started buying albums in the 80s, it wasn't unusual for an album to have eight tracks.
Madonna's first album had 8 tracks.

As long as all 8 songs are good, I don't mind. I'd rather have 8 great songs, than an album with more songs that you will skip.
RayRay
Legend

Postby Benjamin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:03 pm

Gravity wrote:It just feels disrespectful to have only 8 tracks after so many years and label it an album. It's an EP :-?
Benjamin
Kid At Heart

Postby psycellium » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:43 am

Guru wrote:I always thought that since an artist last album to their new album, the amount of time is what took them to record this many songs. So she had 8yrs and let’s give her 1yr touring credit, you are trying to tell me she took 7 years to record 8 songs? Some artIsts just shove it in your face and take to support for granted.
Couldn't agree more. Whenever an artist takes yeeears to come back, I always think of Beyoncé having the entirety of B'Day done in two weeks. Makes me think of Nelly Furtado coming back with The Spirit Indestructible, even with fillers that album was 20+ tracks, and fillers grow on you! 8 songs after a 7-8 year absence is bad. Still waiting for the Target tracklist to be uploaded. If the +3 are remixes I'm out.
psycellium
Groupie

Postby Guru » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:10 am

psycellium wrote:
Guru wrote:I always thought that since an artist last album to their new album, the amount of time is what took them to record this many songs. So she had 8yrs and let’s give her 1yr touring credit, you are trying to tell me she took 7 years to record 8 songs? Some artIsts just shove it in your face and take to support for granted.
Couldn't agree more. Whenever an artist takes yeeears to come back, I always think of Beyoncé having the entirety of B'Day done in two weeks. Makes me think of Nelly Furtado coming back with The Spirit Indestructible, even with fillers that album was 20+ tracks, and fillers grow on you! 8 songs after a 7-8 year absence is bad. Still waiting for the Target tracklist to be uploaded. If the +3 are remixes I'm out.
I am also eyeing Target tracks.
Please post it here if you beat me to it :P
| Ciara | Beyoncé | Janet | Toni | Kelly R | Leona | Tinashe | Whitney | Brandy | Monica | Tevin | Mariah | Britney |
Guru
Guru

Postby Guru » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:19 pm

The song Sex and Cigarettes is out. Pure F heaven!!! Ballad of note :P :cry:
Guru
Guru

Postby psycellium » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Guru wrote:The song Sex and Cigarettes is out. Pure F heaven!!! Ballad of note :P :cry:
You make me craaazy, craaaaaaazy! Wow. I literally just finished my first listen. I feel like this album will be all killer.
psycellium
Groupie

Postby firefairyangel » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:24 pm

Loose wrote:I think the minimum amount of tracks for an LP should be 10.

8 tracks just feels super rushed.
Even 10 always feels a bit short to me, but it would definitely be better than 8! 30 minutes is not a full album to me. Toni is one of my favourite artists and I want to support her, but it doesn't really seem like a complete project to me. Target bonus tracks don't help me since I don't live in the US and I'm not really interested in importing from there just to get the few extra songs.
firefairyangel
Manager

Postby psycellium » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:33 pm

firefairyangel wrote:
Loose wrote:I think the minimum amount of tracks for an LP should be 10.

8 tracks just feels super rushed.
Even 10 always feels a bit short to me, but it would definitely be better than 8! 30 minutes is not a full album to me. Toni is one of my favourite artists and I want to support her, but it doesn't really seem like a complete project to me. Target bonus tracks don't help me since I don't live in the US and I'm not really interested in importing from there just to get the few extra songs.
I'm from the UK and will definitely buy the standard album digitally then find the Target tracks online until I can import the physical. These Target / Japan exclusive tracks from almost every artist are beyond annoying now. If the 3 bonuses aren't remixes and are decent tracks I'll forgive Toni for this EP. Lol.
psycellium
Groupie

Postby quilmrt » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:41 am

psycellium wrote:
Guru wrote:The song Sex and Cigarettes is out. Pure F heaven!!! Ballad of note :P :cry:
You make me craaazy, craaaaaaazy! Wow. I literally just finished my first listen. I feel like this album will be all killer.
Woahhhhh! This is great!
quilmrt
Groupie

Postby Controlfreak » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:50 am

Controlfreak
Manager

Postby GetBack » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:15 am

RayRay wrote:When I started buying albums in the 80s, it wasn't unusual for an album to have eight tracks.
Madonna's first album had 8 tracks.

As long as all 8 songs are good, I don't mind. I'd rather have 8 great songs, than an album with more songs that you will skip.
I feel like they are following Bruno Mars' 24K Magic album where he revived the eighties style of albums where there are only 8 strong songs that are ready to be singles. :D :D
The love be so fake, but the hate be so real...
GetBack
Legend

Postby quilmrt » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:18 am

I'm seeing reports that the album has leaked .... hopefully it doesn't squash her sales too much (since I'm not expecting stellar numbers as is with the lack of promo)
quilmrt
Groupie

Postby psycellium » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:17 am

quilmrt wrote:I'm seeing reports that the album has leaked .... hopefully it doesn't squash her sales too much (since I'm not expecting stellar numbers as is with the lack of promo)
Where'd you see that?? :o
psycellium
Groupie

Postby ThaInfo1 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:37 am

The titled song is on iChunes. It's a good piano ballad!

But I really hope she gives me another Hands Tied...or something in the vain of "Just Be A Man About It".
BARDI GANG!!
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Controlfreak » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:46 pm

The title track is nice. All I know is when this is release, I'll be purchasing the Target exclusive. I'm gonna get my dollars worth.
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby Unbreakable34 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:12 pm

I LOVEEEEE the title track!!!!!

Can't wait for the album!
Unbreakable34
Personal Assistant

Postby RayRay » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:36 pm

Unbreakable34 wrote:I LOVEEEEE the title track!!!!!

Can't wait for the album!
RayRay
Legend

Postby Controlfreak » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:53 am

Controlfreak
Manager

Postby Loose » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:53 pm

The title track is ok.
Baby, hell no, that's not the way it goes. It's all about me tonight.
Loose
Legend

Postby jio » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:23 pm

Based on the two first singles this is shaping to be her best album since forever... good stuff

wait... wha? 8 tracks only?
jio
Legend

Postby Gravity » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:27 pm

The title track is just alright.
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby Guru » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:21 pm

Gravity wrote:The title track is just alright.
Guru
Guru

Postby LongingHeart » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:34 pm

Titel track is my favorite so far
LongingHeart
Manager

Return to R&B & Urban