UKMIX Urban/R&B Album of the Year 2017 (WINNER!)

Moderators: urbanmusik, stevyy, Benjamin

Who's going to be #1?

Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
29%
SZA - CTRL
71%

Total votes : 17

Postby Loveguru » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:23 am

His best Album
Forever Young
Loveguru
Legend

Postby bluecherry » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:42 am

My second favourite album of last year. I found it to be so fun, summery and light hearted.
♡ i bloom just for you ♡

bluecherry
Manager

Postby Gravity » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:02 am

I don't like Calvin Harris but I probably should give his album a try...
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby ThaInfo1 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:44 am

I forgot to vote for this, but this album was a vibe. I enjoyed his groovy urban-esque productions.
'SCAPE
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Phoenixx » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:35 pm

8-)
Phoenixx
Purpose

Postby abi » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:40 am

JAY-Z 4:44
* Year-End Chart History:
Magna Carta… Holy Grail (#6, 2013), Watch The Throne (#3, 2011), The Blueprint 3 (#9, 2009), American Gangster (#20, 2007)

* Voted by: Benjamin, bluecherry, Loveguru, ThaInfo1, nas4life123, BeeBoy, Goldmoney, Ska8er, urbanmusik
* Genre(s): Hip hop, Conscious Hip hop
* Highlights: "Family Feud” (feat. Beyoncé), "The Story of O.J.”, "Bam” (feat. Damian Marley), "4:44”

4:44 is the thirteenth solo studio album by American rapper Jay-Z. It was released on June 30, 2017 through Roc Nation and Universal Music Group, as an exclusive to Sprint and Tidal customers. The album is the first in a planned series of music exclusives from the Sprint–Tidal partnership. For a short time, on July 2, the album was made available for free digital download in Tidal's site. A physical edition was released on July 7, including three additional tracks. On the same day, the album was made available to other streaming platforms, such as Apple Music, Google Play Music and Amazon Music.

The album received widespread acclaim from critics, who praised its emotional and personal content. On July 5, the album was certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), in recognition of one million copies purchased by Sprint and offered to consumers as free downloads. It debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200, making it Jay-Z's 13th consecutive studio album to top the chart. The album spawned three singles, the title track "4:44", "Bam" and "Family Feud", as well as several music videos, directed by a variety of high-profile collaborators. The album received a Grammy Award nomination for Album of the Year, while the title track was nominated for Song of the Year and "The Story of O.J." was nominated for Record of the Year at the 60th Annual Grammy Awards.

TIfan wrote:OK I listened again, this album slays
urbanmusik wrote:This album is incredible.
RaFanatic wrote:This is damn good. Not a bad track on this, i'm quite surprised. HIs albums were always kinda hit and miss for me, but from start to finish this is all kinds of amazing.

Frankisha slaying me like that on Caught Their Eyes :cry: :cry: :cry:
Loveguru wrote:This is a good album and I like it because i like the jayz and Beyonce tea but i fear that people who don't give an F about his personal life... may not relate to this
abi
Legend

Postby Loveguru » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:20 am

Oh wow. SOOOO LOW
Forever Young
Loveguru
Legend

Postby abi » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:45 am

Loveguru wrote:Oh wow. SOOOO LOW
I mean, it's not our fault that we couldn't find the album on Spotify...

Anyway, that GRAMMY's pic of B, Blue & Jay should've been the single artwork for "Family Feud". :lol:
abi
Legend

Postby Loose » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:01 pm

I was never bothered about neither Jay-Z nor Calvin Harris. :-?
LIKE A WEAPON IN THE WRONG HANDS YOU COULD DO DAMAGE
Loose
Legend

Postby abi » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:14 pm

Mary J. Blige Strength of a Woman
Think Like A Man Too (#36, 2014), The London Sessions (#15, 2014), My Life II... The Journey Continues (Act 1) (#7, 2011), Stronger with Each Tear (#19, 2010), Growing Pains (#5, 2008)/(#37, ‘00s), The Breakthrough (#14, ‘00s), No More Drama (#38, ‘00s)

* Voted by: Benjamin, Controlfreak, bluecherry, mattsky, JSparksFan, ludichris, Unbreakable34, Swingin, nuttah, minime, Goldmoney
* Genre(s): R&B, Soul, Hip-hop soul
* Highlights: "U + Me (Love Lesson)”, "Thick Of It”, "Love Yourself” (Remix) [feat. A$AP Rocky], "Glow Up” (feat. Quavo, DJ Khaled & Missy Elliott)

Strength of a Woman is the thirteenth studio album by American singer Mary J. Blige. It was released on April 28, 2017 by Capitol Records. The album features guest appearances by Kanye West, Quavo, DJ Khaled, Missy Elliott, Prince Charlez, and Kaytranada.

Strength of a Woman debuted at number three on the US Billboard 200 for the issue dated ending May 20, with 78,000 album-equivalent units, selling 72,000 copies in its first week. Blige's highest-charting album since 2009's Stronger with Each Tear and her tenth top five entry on the chart, it marked a significant lift for the singer, whose previous release The London Sessions (2014) had opened at number nine with first week sales of 55,000 copies.

tada wrote:the album is a grower.
It is very urban/hip-hop, back to Mary roots.
minime wrote:The album is okay. Some really nice songs on here but overall I don't like it as much as I wanted to. Maybe I'm not in the mood right now.
Controlfreak wrote:Easily her best since Growing Pains.
rnbboy wrote:When I first heard this album I was disappointed and thought it was dull as hell...Then I re-listened, then again - Now I cant stop!

It is amazing..
abi
Legend

Postby Loose » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:49 pm

I didn't even vote for MJB's record because I thought it was rather underwhelming. :-?

I am almost shocked that it made the Top 10.
Loose
Legend

Postby LongingHeart » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:34 pm

Another big disappointment. It was just a filler vote for me
LongingHeart
Manager

Postby Loose » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:42 pm

I hope Kelela's still in. She's my only hope to make a decent Top 5. :-?
Loose
Legend

Postby abi » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:31 pm

Kehlani SweetSexySavage
You Should Be Here (#21, 2015)

* Voted by: Benjamin, Gravity, LongingHeart, cristy, bluecherry, WakeUpMusic, ThaInfo1, ludichris, BeeBoy, Unbreakable34, croatiaxtina, Swingin, minime, urbanmusik
* Genre(s): R&B, Pop, Hip-Hop
* Highlights: "CRZY”, "Distraction”, "Keep On”, "In My Feelings”

SweetSexySavage is the debut studio album by American singer and songwriter Kehlani. The album was released on January 27, 2017 by Atlantic Records. Kehlani started work on the album shortly after the release of her mixtape You Should Be Here, with work proceeding into 2016. Kehlani described the album as having three elements; Sweet, Sexy and Savage, which are intended to be reflected in the album's lyrical content and production.

Kehlani was the lead writer on all tracks aside from "Intro", which was written by Reyna Biddy. Production on the project was handled by Pop & Oak, Jahaan Sweet, Charlie Heat, among others, who worked to incorporate a variety of different sounds on the album.

The album received mainly positive reviews from critics, generating a Metacritic score of 76, which ranks as Kehlani's second-highest score after her mixtape You Should Be Here from 2015. It debuted at number three on the US Billboard 200, moving 58,000 album-equivalent units in its first tracking week. The record was promoted with two official singles, "Crzy" and "Distraction", which both peaked at number eighty-five on the Billboard Hot 100. To further promote the album, Kehlani embarked on the SweetSexySavage Tour.

WakeUpMusic wrote:Some songs on this are just brilliant! I didn't know any of her music before this album and I'm just in love with her vocals
ThaInfo1 wrote:Love this album. Still my favorite album to be released this year so far. Some songs could've been cut due to repetitive-ness but this album is full of R&B bops.
urbanmusik wrote:Listened to this album a handful of times over the week and really enjoyed it. The song structures and production can get a bit samey, while some of the lyrics are a mess (the chorus of Too Much :oops: ), but Kehlani sounds so good and the melodies are so strong that I can forgive her for the album's shortcomings.
intosoul wrote:I can't get over how special her voice is :o
abi
Legend

Postby Gravity » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:14 pm

My pity vote :lol: it's an ok album, I love the 90s vibe. Her voice is really enjoyable, I just wish her music was better.
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby ThaInfo1 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:14 pm

Gravity wrote:My pity vote :lol: it's an ok album, I love the 90s vibe. Her voice is really enjoyable, I just wish her music was better.
Chile you tripping lol

This was my number 3 album of last year. It has a couple of filler, but I enjoyed the fresh R&B sounding bops and jams she delivered.
'SCAPE
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby heppolo » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:56 am

should have voted for Kehlani
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Gravity » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:22 am

ThaInfo1 wrote:
Gravity wrote:My pity vote :lol: it's an ok album, I love the 90s vibe. Her voice is really enjoyable, I just wish her music was better.
Chile you tripping lol

This was my number 3 album of last year. It has a couple of filler, but I enjoyed the fresh R&B sounding bops and jams she delivered.
Meh...most of these "bops" sound half-baked to me. I like Keep On, Distraction and I Wanna Be though.
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby Loose » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:24 pm

A Kehlani record this high proves that it was a rather underwhelming year for Urban
Loose
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:48 pm

Oh sh*t forgot to vote on this countdown.
To be honest haven't played most of these albums but I do have some clear faves.

Trip by Jhené was good but not a patch on her previous work. Some amazing songs in there though
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby abi » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:28 pm

Kelela Take Me Apart
TBA

* Voted by: Gravity, pscalp, LongingHeart, Loose, cristy, bluecherry, Loveguru, ThaInfo1, croatiaxtina, urbanmusik
* Genre(s): Electro-R&B, Alternative R&B, Soul
* Highlights: "Frontline”, "LMK”, "Waitin”, "Onanon”

Take Me Apart is the debut studio album by American singer and songwriter Kelela. It was released on October 6, 2017, through Warp Records

Kelela worked on Take Me Apart for four years, alongside Arca and Jam City, whom she had previously worked with on Hallucinogen and Cut 4 Me respectively. She stated that they "anchored" the album and produced the bulk of it. On February 18, 2016, Kelela featured on a short film by Dazed named "Interlude", which contained new material that would later turn out to be snippets of tracks included in the album. In a press release, Kelela explained that the album expresses "an honest vision of how we navigate dissolving ties with each other and yet remain sanguine for the next chance at love," continuing: "despite it being a personal record, the politics of my identity informs how it sounds and how I choose to articulate my vulnerability and strength. I am a black woman, a second-generation Ethiopian-American, who grew up in the 'burbs listening to R&B, jazz and Björk. All of it comes out in one way or another."

Loose wrote:Easily the best urban record of the year for me.

High artistic value.
UndercovaSista wrote:Amazing album! :o

Waitin is like a modern day version of Janet’s Empty
cristy wrote:Album of the Year for me. 8-)
Hermes wrote:Okay, what the **** ?! I've been sleeping on her SO bad. I really enjoyed Rewind from her and I was snatched after watching and listening to Blue Light, but this level of slayage I did not expect.

Fave album of the year right there.
Better, Onanon, Frontline... this whole masterpiece. BYE. :cry:
UKMusicLova wrote:Onanon is f*cking flawless! This album is so damn special, definitely still in the process of absorbing it all but already feel it may be a competitor for CTRL as my favourite album of the year.
abi
Legend

Postby Gravity » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:42 pm

Should've been even higher.
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby cristy » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:58 pm

I thought it had the top 3 on lock. :(
Masterpiece!
cristy
Superstar

Postby Loose » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:52 pm

Gravity wrote:Should've been even higher.
+1 :-?
Loose
Legend

Postby abi » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:21 am

Y'all are ungrateful. :lol: Her position is very high considering how unknown she is to UKMIXers.
abi
Legend

Return to R&B & Urban