UKMIX Urban/R&B Album of the Year 2017 (WINNER!)

Moderators: urbanmusik, stevyy, Benjamin

Who's going to be #1?

Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
28%
SZA - CTRL
72%

Total votes : 18

Postby Loose » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:27 am

I was digging Sky Walker for weeks!
I find it overall not as good as wildheart but still memorable enough.

Whereas I already forgot about Fergie-Ferg’s record...
Baby, hell no, that's not the way it goes. It's all about me tonight.
Loose
Legend

Postby DnBLover » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:12 pm

I-I-I I wanna say I told you so..

so good.

Also, J Cole features on the album so it instantly becomes much better.
I dig the album, I actually like most stuff by Miguel.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby abi » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:39 pm

And our number two is…

Kendrick Lamar DAMN.
* Year-End Chart History:
Untitled Unmastered (#25, 2016), To Pimp A Butterfly (#6, 2015), Untitled Unmastered (#25, 2016)

* Voted by: Benjamin, leomedar, pscalp, LongingHeart, bluecherry, eminemno1, mattsky, JSparksFan, Loveguru, ThaInfo1, nas4life123, Phoenixx, abi, BeeBoy, croatiaxtina, nuttah, Goldmoney, Ska8er, urbanmusik
* Genre(s): Hip-hop, Conscious rap
* Highlights: "LOYALTY.” (feat. Rihanna), "HUMBLE.”, "LOVE.” (feat. Zacari), "DNA.”, ”ELEMENT.”

Damn (stylized as DAMN.) is the fourth studio album by American rapper Kendrick Lamar. It was released on April 14, 2017, by Top Dawg Entertainment, Aftermath Entertainment and Interscope Records. The album features production from a variety of record producers, including executive producer and Top Dawg Entertainment label-head Anthony "Top Dawg" Tiffith, Sounwave, DJ Dahi, Mike Will Made It and Ricci Riera; as well as further production contributions from James Blake, Steve Lacy, BadBadNotGood, Greg Kurstin, The Alchemist and 9th Wonder, among others.

Damn received widespread critical acclaim and topped the charts in the United States and Canada while reaching number two in Australia, Belgium, Denmark, Ireland, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, and the United Kingdom. The album was supported by three official singles: "Humble", "Loyalty" and "Love". "Humble" became Lamar's first number one single on the US Billboard Hot 100 as a lead artist. In July 2017, Damn was certified double Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). The album was nominated for Album of the Year and won Best Rap Album at the 60th Annual Grammy Awards. Damn was the Billboard Year-End number one album of 2017.

urbanmusik wrote:This album is fantastic. I've only listened to it four times, so I need more time to really get into everything, but I'm so impressed. K.dot's did it again.

The intro that becomes the outro is just :cry: :cry: . Apart from the single DNA., PRIDE. and FEAR. are early favourites. The PRIDE. gets instrumental/melodies get me so bad, Anna Wise needs to collaborate with with Kendrick for eternity.

Rih's lower register rap-singing on LOYALTY. reminds me of Beyoncé if she'd been hitting the blunt a little harder.

Big AOTY contender.
hellohello wrote:Kendrick is a sick lyricist. He is really captivating with rhymes and how tells his story. His story is relatable and he is a true visionary. I actually think he bringing back the old style of hip hop when it was more focused on rhyming and storytelling about the struggles of people of colour in America. I place him among the greats such as Eminem, Biggie and Tupac. J Cole is good but Kendrick is on another level of great imo.
naughtynae wrote:Yes already a fave for me this year. I can't get enough currently. I can't wait for summer!
Hermes wrote:This is all I'm listening to, at the moment. I'm not feeling YAH. much, but that's probably because it comes right after DNA., which is bananas. It's not too bad, though. Actually, there's not a single track I dislike on it. 8-)

I wish he'd come to France too. I'd buy tickets in a heartbeat. :cry:
truthless wrote:I freaking love this dude. I freaking love section.80, good kid, To Pimp A Butterfly (In the last half year I discovered a new found love for this album... Like it struck me) and DAMN.. And I still couldn't find the time to analyze Damn.'s lyrics and overall structure.

A quick notice regarding To Pimp A Butterfly. The political statement... I never could identify with it. But seeing all these news in the past... I suddenly could relate more to the record. I found a new amazement of this freaking huge record. Although I'm still not the biggest fan of the jazz influence.

Whenever he will come to tour in Germany... I will RUN to my laptop and buy a f*cking ticket and I will happily die.
abi
Legend

Postby abi » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:43 pm

With only 11 points ahead…

SZA CTRL
* Year-End Chart History:
N/A

* Voted by: Benjamin, leomedar, pscalp, LongingHeart, cristy, bluecherry, mattsky, JSparksFan, WakeUpMusic, Loveguru, ThaInfo1, ludichris, abi, BeeBoy, Unbreakable34, croatiaxtina, tyguy723, nuttah, minime, Ska8er, urbanmusik
* Genre(s): R&B, Neo soul, Alternative R&B
* Highlights: "The Weekend”, "Love Galore” (feat. Travis Scott), "Broken Clocks”, "Supermodel”, ”Drew Barrymore”

Ctrl (pronounced "control") is the debut studio album by American singer-songwriter SZA. It was released on June 9, 2017, on Top Dawg Entertainment/RCA Records. Originally scheduled for release in late 2015, it was delayed by SZA's experience of "a kind of blinding paralysis brought on by anxiety." She worked and reworked the album until the record company took away her hard drive in the spring of 2017.

SZA wrote most of the album's lyrics and collaborated with producers including Craig Balmoris, Frank Dukes, Carter Lang, Scum and ThankGod4Cody to achieve its sound. The efforts resulted in a primarily neo-soul and R&B album, with elements of hip-hop, electronic, indie and soul. Lyrically the album has a confessional theme, which touch upon SZA's personal experiences and complexities of modern love; including desire, competition, jealousy, sexual politics, social media, and low self-esteem.

The album was released to acclaim from music critics. It debuted at number three on the US Billboard 200, moving 60,000 equivalent-album units in its first full-tracking week. It generated the singles "Drew Barrymore", "Love Galore", "The Weekend", and "Broken Clocks". As of March 2018, the album has been certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America for accumulating over 1,000,000 in album-equivalent units and pure sales. The album and its songs were nominated for four Grammy Awards, while SZA was nominated for Best New Artist.

bluecherry wrote:This is my favourite album since ‘Born to Die’. It’s already beginning to rank amongst my favourite albums.
Pompeii wrote:I'm mad she didn't collect a single Grammy. She was clearly one of the front-runners. It seems as though the Academy is operating at its usual pace - only awarding the names that it knows best, rather than the ones that actually connected with the culture.
ThaInfo1 wrote:Honestly I can't even with how magical this album is to me. I can honestly see it going down as one of my all time favorite albums. I haven't related to an album like this in forever.
DnBLover wrote:Fck... I just got hooked on this album. :cry:

Broken Clocks damn
thankfulforkelly wrote:So I'm living for this at the minute, I love how mellow it is and it's a nice break from the intense pop I usually listen to tbh :lol: Her voice is to die for and the production is really great tbh. My faves are Love Galore, Supermodel, Drew Barrymore, 20 Something and Broken Clocks
abi
Legend

Postby abi » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:47 pm

Most people who voted for Kendrick also voted for SZA so they were neck to neck really. And the gap between Kendrick and the #3 album (Miguel) was really huge too, almost 80 points difference.

Kendrick was my #1. He really came through with the album. I love everything about it, the lyrics, the production, the music videos. And I like the fact that it sounds a bit more mainstream than his usual stuff, but not too mainstream as well and not too weird/experimental for my taste. I was obsessed with "Loyalty" and "Love" for MONTHS!
abi
Legend

Postby tyguy723 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:00 pm

Yasss SZA get that UKMIX acclaim!

Wonderful as always abi, such a talent compiling the votes and releasing the artwork banners! Can't wait for next year's!
tyguy723
Manager

Postby DnBLover » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:11 pm

Kendrick was great but to me it was not as strong as his two previous ones. I also was rather busy play J Cole's so I admit I should have given it more time. Anyway, it's his biggest-sounding album and every song sounds huge. Faves include XXX and DNA

SZA had hands down the best Urban album of the year. It's the rawest, most unique, freshest and f*CK you release of the year. It has a bit of everything sound-wise without ever getting poppy or commercial. She's a unique kind of artist with her only flaw being that trollback seems to like her.
I am the maniac, I am the ghoul
I'm in the shadows in the corners of my room
DnBLover
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:47 pm

DnBLover wrote:SZA had hands down the best Urban album of the year. It's the rawest, most unique, freshest and f*CK you release of the year. It has a bit of everything sound-wise without ever getting poppy or commercial. She's a unique kind of artist with her only flaw being that trollback seems to like her.
This shade at the end though :lol: :lol:

She was my number one...but I whore my love for this album out so y'all know how I feel about it. I could write an essay on how dope and special this album is to me.

Kendrick's and Miguel were solid too. Some of my favs for the year as well.
Last edited by ThaInfo1 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serby wrote:Cuz you ugly and can't relate
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:48 pm

Here is my top 15 of 2017
(Demi would've been the real #3 if she was eligible...love that album)

1. SZA - Ctrl
2. Snoh Allegra - FEELS
3. Kehlani - SweetSexySavage
4. Jhene Aiko - Trip
5. Syd - Fin
6. Kelela - Take Me Apart
7. Tyler The Creator - Flower Boy
8. Kendrick Lamar - Damn
9. Fergie - Double Dutchess
10. Fifth Harmony - Fifth Harmony
11. Letoya Luckett - Back 2 Life
12. George Maple - Lover
13. Jay-Z - 4:44
14. Goapole - Dreamseaker
15. Tamar Braxton - Bluebird of Happiness
Serby wrote:Cuz you ugly and can't relate
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby LongingHeart » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:07 pm

1. Jhene Aiko - TRIP
2. SZA - CTRL
3. K. Michelle - Kimberly: The People I Used To Know
4. Sevyn Streeter - Girl disrupted
5. Fat Joe & Remy Ma - Plata O Plomo
6. Kehlani - SweetSexySavage
7. Bryson Tiller - True To Self
8. Tamar Braxton - Bluebird of Happiness
9. Keyshia Cole - 11:11 Reset
10. Khalid - American Teen
11. LeToya Lucket - Back 2 Life
12. Jessie Ware - Glasshouse
13. Kelela - Take Me Apart
14. Jidenna - The Chief
15. Kendrick Lamar DAMN
LongingHeart
Manager

Postby Controlfreak » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:15 am

My Top 15.

1. Goldlink | At What Cost
2. Daley | The Spectrum
3. Mary J. Blige | Strength of A Woman
4. Ledisi | Let Love Rule
5. Chante Moore | Rise of the Phoenix
6. TLC | TLC
7. 112 | Q Mike Slim Daron
8. Faith Evans & Notorious BIG | King & I
9. Letoya Luckett | Back 2 Life
10. Keyshia Cole | 11:11 Reset
11. Vivian Green | VGVI
12. Sammie | Coming of Age
13. Musiq | Feel the Real
14. Trey Songz | Tremaine
15. Jagged Edge | The Layover
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby Loose » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:23 pm

Great presentation, abi! I really enjoyed the 3-month-ride. :D

Meeeeh for the results themselves. Definitely my least favourite year regarding the UKMIX Urban/R&B Album Of The Year. Lots of disagreements and apparently my taste does not reflect the chart at all.

Fingers crossed 2018 will be better (the albums released already are!).
Baby, hell no, that's not the way it goes. It's all about me tonight.
Loose
Legend

Postby abi » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:38 pm

Loose wrote:Great presentation, abi! I really enjoyed the 3-month-ride. :D .
tyguy723 wrote:Wonderful as always abi, such a talent compiling the votes and releasing the artwork banners! Can't wait for next year's!
Thank you so much! I always love doing this and I had so much fun this time! :P

Please look forward for this year's countdown. I'm planning to do album of the 10's as well by 2020. I know it's still a long way to go but priority I guess. :lol: I hope we're all still gonna be here. :lol:
abi
Legend

Postby tyguy723 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:22 am

abi wrote:
Loose wrote:Great presentation, abi! I really enjoyed the 3-month-ride. :D .
tyguy723 wrote:Wonderful as always abi, such a talent compiling the votes and releasing the artwork banners! Can't wait for next year's!
Thank you so much! I always love doing this and I had so much fun this time! :P

Please look forward for this year's countdown. I'm planning to do album of the 10's as well by 2020. I know it's still a long way to go but priority I guess. :lol: I hope we're all still gonna be here. :lol:
Now THAT will be fun :o 8-) (and really difficult to rank :oops: )
tyguy723
Manager

Return to R&B & Urban