UKMIX Urban/R&B Album of the Year 2017 (WINNER!)

Moderators: urbanmusik, stevyy, Benjamin

Who's going to be #1?

Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
31%
SZA - CTRL
69%

Total votes : 16

Postby abi » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:07 pm

TLC TLC
* Year-End Chart History:
N/A

* Voted by: Benjamin, Controlfreak, Loose, bluecherry, Guru, ludichris, Unbreakable34, Goldmoney
* Genre(s): R&B
* Highlights: "Way Back”, "Start A Fire”, "It’s Sunny”, "American Gold”

TLC is the fifth and final studio album by American group TLC, released on June 30, 2017, by their newly formed label 852 Musiq. TLC has partnered with various distribution companies: Sony Music RED (North America), Liberation Music (Australia), Warner Music Group (Japan), and Cooking Vinyl (rest of world). It is TLC's first UK Top 40 album in 18 years.

The deluxe edition features remastered versions of the singles "No Scrubs", "Creep", "Unpretty", "Baby-Baby-Baby", and "Diggin' on You". The album debuted at number 38 on the Billboard 200, selling 11,117 album-equivalent units.

Muzikritik wrote:Very easy to listen to but short of a few standouts - I like American Gold, It's Sunny - but the rest are just not that distinctive on their own.
Benjamin wrote:Listening to the album for the first time in full now. It flows well :)
abi
Legend

Postby abi » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:09 pm

Drake More Life
Views (#14, 2016), Nothing Was The Same (#3, 2013), Take Care (#5, 2011), Thank Me Later (#2, 2010)

* Voted by: Benjamin, pscalp, eminemno1, mattsky, BeeBoy, Goldmoney, Ska8er
* Genre(s): Hip-hop, R&B, Dancehall
* Highlights: "Passionfruit”, "Fake Love”, "Portland” (feat. Quavo & Travis Scott), "Gyalchester”

More Life is a commercial mixtape by Canadian rapper Drake. The artist describes More Life as a playlist, though some publications have referred to it as a mixtape. It was released on March 18, 2017, by OVO Sound, Young Money Entertainment, Cash Money Records and Republic Records.

Production of More Life was handled by a variety of record producers, including 40, Frank Dukes, Boi-1da, Murda Beatz, T-Minus, Nineteen85 and Kanye West, among others. An ensemble of guest vocalists also appear, including Young Thug, Giggs, Skepta, Quavo, Travis Scott, 2 Chainz, Kanye West, Jorja Smith, Sampha and PartyNextDoor. The songs on More Life feature a broad range of genres, including hip hop, R&B, dancehall, grime, trap, Afrobeat, and pop. The mixtape was supported by five singles: "Fake Love", "Passionfruit", "Free Smoke", "Portland" and "Glow".

More Life received generally positive reviews and debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200, becoming his seventh consecutive number one album, while also breaking several streaming records.

BillyBlitzkid wrote:I'm not an expert on his music, I actually only listened to Views in full before this "playlist". And damn, Passion fruit, Madiba Riddim, get it together, teenage dream and Fake Love alone shit all over Views. I thought it was a short love but I keep revisiting this.
truthless wrote:The Album/Playlist/Mixtape whatever is pretty amazing. I really love the whole vibe.
abi
Legend

Postby Gravity » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:04 pm

These two are surprisingly high considering they were panned on UKMix.
Floped and localed
Gravity
Superstar

Postby ludichris » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:12 pm

I gave TLC a sympathy vote. The album got old fast, really fast.
ludichris
Manager

Postby LongingHeart » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:14 pm

Yeah ...no! TLC was just bad - not top 20 worthy at all
LongingHeart
Manager

Postby ThaInfo1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:46 am

ludichris wrote:I gave TLC a sympathy vote. The album got old fast, really fast.
I was going to until I found more albums to put on my list

TLC is in my top 5 of all time, but they could’ve kept this.
'SCAPE
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:51 am

TLC were my #2 but it’s still an average album.

Drake’s was total filler. Passionfruit was okay but I don’t use the rest.
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby Controlfreak » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:57 am

TLC was in my Top 10 or Top 5. The album was a dud by their standard but they're one of my favorite musical acts.
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby heppolo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:04 am

Goldmoney wrote:
Drake’s was total filler. Passionfruit was okay but I don’t use the rest.
What an awful and bland record/mixtape.
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby abi » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:47 am

17. (tie)
Khalid American Teen
N/A

* Voted by: Benjamin, leomedar, LongingHeart, mattsky, Loveguru, ludichris, BeeBoy, minime
* Genre(s): Alternative R&B, Pop
* Highlights: "Location”, "Young Dumb & Broke”, "Saved”, "8TEEN”

American Teen is the debut studio album by American singer Khalid. It was released on March 3, 2017, by Right Hand Music Group and RCA Records. The album was supported by the singles "Location", and "Young Dumb & Broke".

In October 2017, the album was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) for accumulating over 1 million in combined pure sales and album-equivalent units.

ludichris wrote:I really love the title track. It's without a doubt one of my songs of the year!
Kaloki wrote:Ok, so I ended up checking this out again after writing it off earlier today..... it's actually really good :o 8TEEN is pretty amazing, no idea why I never appreciated it before!
abi
Legend

Postby abi » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:02 am

17. (tie)
Jessie Ware Glasshouse
Tough Love (#3, 2014)

* Voted by: Benjamin, Gravity, LongingHeart, heppolo, cristy, mattsky, WakeUpMusic, croatiaxtina, Swingin
* Genre(s): Pop, Soul, R&B
* Highlights: "Alone”, "Selfish Love”, "Midnight”, "Thinking About You”

Glasshouse is the third studio album by English singer-songwriter Jessie Ware. It was released on 20 October 2017 through Island Records. The album was supported by the singles "Midnight", "Selfish Love" and "Alone".

At Metacritic, which assigns a normalised rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, Glasshouse has an average score of 73 out of 100, which indicates "generally favorable reviews" based on 8 reviews.

Cless wrote:Devotion is one of the best albums of the past ten years. Unfortunately, I don't expect her topping that anytime soon. This is a good record though, very cohesive and consistent in quality (no bad songs). It just doesn't have the massive tracks her first two albums had but still good nonetheless.

PS. The new version of "Til the End" is amazing. Dem horns.
WakeUpMusic wrote:The album is amazing. Not as instant as her previous work but still a very strong piece of work.
I enjoy every single track but my favourites for now are Your Domino and Selfish Love. Midnight is a great opener though
abi
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:32 am

Khalid's album was the most blandest body of work I've heard in a long time.

I enjoyed Jessie's album a lot. Very smooth.
'SCAPE
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby LongingHeart » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:09 am

I really enjoyed Khalid‘s album last year.
Jessie on the other hand .... I don’t even know why I put her on my list. Along with Mary (and a lot of other albums) it was a big disappointment for me.
LongingHeart
Manager

Postby heppolo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:17 am

Jessie's album is solid
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby Gravity » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:42 pm

Jessie's album was a massive disappointment to me. After brilliant Devotion and Tough Love (one of my favorite albums ever)...Glasshouse felt like a slap on the face. Still, it's a solid album overall and it got a pity vote from me.

I want to like Khalid so badly but I just can't. He's blander than oatmeal.
Floped and localed
Gravity
Superstar

Postby ludichris » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:08 am

Khalid was my #1. Not a single bad song on this album and I think he is one of the better male vocalists to emerge in the last couple of years.
ludichris
Manager

Postby abi » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:39 am

Tamar Braxton Bluebird of Happiness
Calling All Lovers (#7, 2015), Love and War (#17, 2013)

* Voted by: Gravity, LongingHeart, bluecherry, Guru, mattsky, WakeUpMusic, ThaInfo1, RayRay, Unbreakable34, tyguy723, Swingin, minime
* Genre(s): R&B, Soul, Pop
* Highlights: "My Man”, "Blind”, "Hol’ Up” (feat. Yo Gotti), "The Makings of You”

Bluebird of Happiness is the fifth and final studio album by American R&B singer Tamar Braxton, released on September 29, 2017, through LoganLand Records and Entertainment One. The album has been preceded by the release of two singles—"My Man" and "Blind".

tyguy723 wrote:It kinda took a lil slow burn but this whole album is just amazing now, even as slow as it gets I think it easily ties CAL, which looking back while more varied was more hit and miss for me, BOH while ballad heavy I love them all :oops:
BlueScorpion wrote:Album is good, her voice alone shines throughout. She's flopping as everybody else is these days. Plus, she went independent.
abi
Legend

Postby abi » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:52 am

Fifth Harmony Fifth Harmony
N/A

* Voted by: Gravity, Guru, mattsky, JSparksFan, ThaInfo1, Phoenixx, abi, Goldmoney
* Genre(s): R&B, Pop, Tropical
* Highlights: "Lonely Night”, "Sauced Up”, "Deliver”, "Angel”

Fifth Harmony is the self-titled third studio album by American girl group Fifth Harmony, released on August 25, 2017, through Syco Music and Epic Records. It features the guest appearance of American rapper Gucci Mane, with collaborations from several notable producers such as Ammo, who contributed to their 2016 smash hit "Work from Home", along with Poo Bear and Skrillex. Its lead single, "Down", which features rapper Gucci Mane, was released on June 2, 2017. The second single "He Like That" was serviced on digital and streaming platforms on August 25, 2017 and as their previous releases, the sound of the album is characterized by a combination between pop and R&B genres as well as tropical house, reggae, hip hop, dancehall, synthpop and trap music, being described as "versatile."

topopMAC1 wrote:It's a really strong album - and finally solidifies their musical identity IMO - this is the direction I wanted them to go in. I'm pleased! The "He Like That" video is HOT too - they've definitely stepped up their game - the choreography and look is awesome.
Guru wrote:The album is solid :o
I'm shook :P
theArmy wrote:Woah, my girls DELIVERED :cry: :cry: (pun intended)

I never liked one of their full lengths as a whole before, but this is the one :cry: From start to finish, it is perfect :cry:

I would've actually put Angel as the opener and tossed Down to #8 instead, but alright

the harmonies, the lyrics, the melodies :cry: the CONFIDENCE!!!! YASS GIRLS, OH MY GOD!!

Sauced Up is definitely my favorite, but between the rest it's really hard to choose my next faves.

Don't Say You Love Me is beautiful OH MY GOD!! then He Like That, Lonely Night, Make You Mad 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Bridges is the perfect closer.

I don't want to believe that this is the last one, but if it is, at least they're going out with one great album :D :cry: :D :cry:
abi
Legend

Postby abi » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:55 am

Fifth Harmony is such a solid record. People really slept on it. It was my #2.

First of all, all the single choices were 100% WRONG starting with "Down (the Charts)". "He Like That" is a cute bop but there are much better songs off the album. The album sounds very current & trendy yet I'm getting major throwback vibes to Danity Kane/Destiny's Child's Survivor at the same time with songs like "Lonely Night", "Sauced Up" and "Deliver" - which is I guess the reason why I like this album a lot. "Lonely Night" reminds me a lot of DC3's "The Story of Beauty" for some reason.
abi
Legend

Postby mattsky » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:04 am

Khalid's record is absolutely amazing. Nw he would have been in my top 3.
Haven't been early since '88
mattsky
Superstar

Postby tyguy723 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:45 am

Ooh Tamar's album is still IT for me now, the opening track is just heavenly with the sitar and earthy vibes :oops:
tyguy723
Manager

Postby Loveguru » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:16 am

Auuuw at Khalid
Forever Young
Loveguru
Legend

Postby Gravity » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:31 am

5H's album suffers from really bad song sequencing. It's a strong urban/pop/R&B album. Make You Mad, He Like That, Angel and Messy are all bops.

Tamar's album wasn't as strong as CAL but it's still pretty good. I love Forever, Heart In My Hands and Empty Boxes.
Floped and localed
Gravity
Superstar

Postby ThaInfo1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:16 pm

FH made their best album yet. It was a really strong fast food album. Angel, Deliver, He Like That were BOPS and JAMS!!!!! All were my top songs of the year. This album really showed off their potential when done right. It isn't perfect, but I was impressed.

I felt a way about Tamar's after unfairly comparing it to Calling All Lovers (which was my #1 album in 2015). This album was more of a grower than CAL, and even though it's still weaker, it's still a great album. I gotta appreciate that she is one of the few artist these days giving you VOCALS. I felt like this album was actually strong with the bops, but the ballads could've used more variaty. Like 3 pure piano ballads for a 11 track album (which has like 3 other slower songs) is too much.
'SCAPE
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby RayRay » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:35 pm

Nice to see Tamar doing well here.
RayRay
Legend

Return to R&B & Urban