UKMIX Urban/R&B Album of the Year 2017 (WINNER!)

Moderators: urbanmusik, Benjamin

Who's going to be #1?

Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
28%
SZA - CTRL
72%

Total votes : 18

Postby abi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:50 pm

Sampha Process
* Year-End Chart History:
N/A

* Voted by: leomedar, pscalp, cristy, Loveguru, croatiaxtina, minime, Ska8er, urbanmusik
* Genre(s): Neo soul, Alternative R&B, Electronic
* Highlights: "(No One Knows Me) Like The Piano”, "Blood On Me”, "Plastic 100°C”, "Timmy’s Prayer”

Process is the debut studio album by British musician Sampha, released on 3 February 2017 by Young Turks. It was co-produced by Sampha and Scottish music producer Rodaidh McDonald and won the 2017 Hyundai Mercury Prize.

As compared to Sampha's characteristic bedroom recording style, Process was recorded in professional recording studios. The album was primarily recorded in studios across Sampha's native city of London, although it was also partially recorded at Ocean Sound Recordings on the Norwegian island Giske.

RaFanatic wrote:It's just too beautiful for words. Between this, the xx and Bonobo i'm in heaven.

His voice is everything :cry:
Oh and i just read that he recorded Blood On Me after he had a run, so it would sound better and suitable with lyrics :o
Loveguru wrote:BLOODY HELL THIS IS IMMENSE
urbanmusik wrote:Listened to this album so much, it's beautiful. Sampha's voice is so tender. It's hard to get past Plastic 100°C because it's just such a good opener.
abi
Legend

Postby abi » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:02 pm

LeToya Luckett Back 2 Life
Lady Love (#13, 2009)

* Voted by: Gravity, Controlfreak, Longingheart, mattsky, ThaInfo1, ludichris, Unbreakable34, Swingin, minime
* Genre(s): R&B
* Highlights: "In The Name of Love”, "Used To”, "B2L”, "Grey” (feat. Ludacris)

Back 2 Life is the third studio album by American R&B singer LeToya Luckett, released on May 12, 2017, through eOne Music Entertainment. The album was preceded by two singles—"Back 2 Life" and "Used To". The album debuted at number 91 on the Billboard 200, marking her lowest charting album in the United States to date.

Odyssey wrote:Good ol' R&B bops.
Gravity wrote:I've had this album in heavy rotation since it came out. It's my most played album of 2017 so far. I know some people might consider it boring but it's right up my alley.
ThaInfo1 wrote:Solid simple R&B...with a dash of trap
abi
Legend

Postby LongingHeart » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:43 pm

LeToya ... such a big disappointment for me. Don’t even know why I voted for it
LongingHeart
Manager

Postby ThaInfo1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:46 pm

I enjoyed Letoya’s album. Just a good, simple R&B album. It’s her worst but it’s still really decent.

Sampha’s was ok. I prefer him as a feature artist.
Serby wrote:Cuz you ugly and can't relate
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Gravity » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:37 pm

I loved Back 2 Life. It's very minimalist R&B, kinda same-ish but I love every song.
Floped and localed
Gravity
R&B Junkie

Postby Loveguru » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:14 am

Sampha’ was dope guys
Forever Young
Loveguru
Legend

Postby abi » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:57 am

Anyway, the next entry is by far the most surprising one yet (at least for me).
abi
Legend

Postby Controlfreak » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:01 am

Back to Life was decent. It's just like the rest of her albums nothing outstanding or great but just ok. Vocally, though she improved so much.
Controlfreak
Manager

Postby abi » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:29 pm

Nelly Furtado The Ride
Loose (#55, ‘00s)

* Voted by: Loose, heppolo, cristy, mattsky, WakeUpMusic, GreekGreek, Phoenixx, croatiaxtina, tyguy723
* Genre(s): Indie pop, R&B, Synth pop
* Highlights: "Pipe Dreams”, "Cold Hard Truth”, "Sticks And Stones”, "Flatline”

The Ride is the sixth studio album by Canadian singer Nelly Furtado. The album was released on 31 March 2017 by Furtado's own record label, Nelstar Music.

The album reached number 76 in Furtado's home country, Canada, and also reached the top 100 in Germany, Italy and Switzerland. It did not chart on the UK Albums Chart, but reached number 81 on the UK Album Sales Chart.

GreekGeek wrote:This album is clearly one of the best and most exciting releases of 2017. :D :D :D
Loose wrote:The Ride adds more variety and enjoyable soundscapes to her discography. I am happy that she does what Madonna stopped doing long time ago: re-invent herself.
Benjamin wrote:It's a great album, but it's her own fault for not having commercial success with it.
She should've released a proper single and all. That said, I don't think she really cares about commercial success anymore.
It's a great record for the fans.
abi
Legend

Postby abi » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:32 pm

Sam Smith The Thrill of It All
In The Lonely Hour (#10, 2014)

* Voted by: Guru, mattsky, JSparksFan, Loveguru, RayRay, BeeBoy, Unbreakable34, croatiaxtina
* Genre(s): Pop, Soul, R&B
* Highlights: "Too Good At Goodbyes”, "Pray”, "One Last Song”, "Burning”

The Thrill of It All is the second studio album by English singer and songwriter Sam Smith. It was released on 3 November 2017 through Capitol Records.

The album the entered atop the US Billboard 200 with 237,000 album-equivalent units, including 185,000 pure sales, giving Smith his first chart-topper and highest opening sales in the United States. It also had the country's seventh-largest album opening of the year at the time. The Thrill of It All dropped to number two the following week, earning 66,000 album-equivalent units. It also became his first number one on the Canadian Albums Chart, debuting with 16,000 units, including 9,500 copies.

Loveguru wrote:The Album is actually very top notch. the title track is AMAZING

I think the album does not have a stay with me but it's far far far much more coherent as a body of work compared to his debut.

The thing i LOVE about this era is ... he came back with a bit more personality and kinda stamping his spot on the pop arena. He is basically being unapologetically himself and I am living.
JSparksFan wrote:I definitely prefer the tone of this album to In the Lonely Hour, though I feel this one doesn't have as many stand-out moments. On the first spin, "Him" seems to be the best song, but lemme see how I feel in a week's time.

I must give him an A+ for use of choir vocals, though.
Popsessed wrote:This album is beyond insane, its sooo good! First listen sounded dull, but second listen i was hooked. No Peace is my favorite, can relate the lyrics in many ways, its like it was written for me. It feels always so great to hear a song that you can relate to in every word. Btw what a great year has it been for pop music. Best year since a long time IMO. I was already hooked on the new albums by P!nk and Kelly, but this truly deserves to win record of the year.
abi
Legend

Postby abi » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:37 pm

I was surprised at how high Nelly Furtado is considering the album bombed so bad. Also, I was just listening the album earlier while making that post, and it certainly didn't sound as R&B as it was the first time I checked it out. Not sure why I decided to make it eligible here but get that recognition I guess. :lol: It does give me some Solange's Hadley St. Dreams vibes though on songs like "Cold Hard Truth" and "Live" which I really like, but the album overall falls flat to me. I need more bops.

As for Sam Smith, I don't know, his music is not doing anything for me but I'm not bothered by it either. Like if his songs come on the radio I wouldn't change the station but I'm not moved either nor do I want to buy his music. He's just... there.
abi
Legend

Postby heppolo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:50 pm

Sam Smith...almost making top 10 here, gosh, the record is really dire
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby RayRay » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:53 pm

Great to see Sam Smith at #11. Wish it had been top 10 though.

One of the best albums I've heard in a long time.
RayRay
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:51 am

I couldn't get into Nelly's album for the life of me. Like girl what was that?

Sam's album had some cute songs. The title track and Pray are dope.
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby Goldmoney » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:15 am

Poor Fergie Ferg needed that top 10. :lol: :cry:
Goldmoney
Legend

Postby abi » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:18 am

Jhené Aiko Trip
Twenty88 (#37, 2016), Souled Out (#9, 2014), Sail Out (#23, 2013)

* Voted by: Benjamin, pscalp, LongingHeart, heppolo, cristy, WakeUpMusic, ThaInfo1, ludichris, BeeBoy, Swingin, minime
* Genre(s): R&B, Alternative R&B, Soul
* Highlights: "Sativa” (feat. Rae Sremmurd), "While We’re Young”, "Moments” (feat. Big Sean), "Never Call Me” (feat. Kurupt)

Trip is the second studio album by American singer Jhené Aiko. It was released on September 22, 2017, by ARTium and Def Jam Recordings. It succeeds Aiko's debut album Souled Out (2014), which was released three years prior, and the collaborative album Twenty88 (2016), while releasing numerous non-album singles in between.

The album contains production from frequent collaborators Dot da Genius, Fisticuffs, No I.D. and Key Wane, along with several other record producers such as Amaire Johnson, Frank Dukes, Benny Blanco, Cashmere Cat and Mike Zombie. It includes guest appearances from Big Sean, Swae Lee, Kurupt, Brandy, Mali Music, Aiko's father, with the moniker, Dr. Chill, and Aiko's daughter, Namiko Love.

The album was released without prior announcement, supported by the lead single "While We're Young" and "Sativa" featuring Rae Sremmurd.

LongingHeart wrote:okay - this is everything. this surely isn't for everyone but it sure is for me!
UKMusicLova wrote:It's the classic hazy, hippie alt-R&B you expect from Jhene with a fea bops thrown in for good measure. It's quite a long record (perhaps too long) so needs some time for the songs and narrative to set in but it does sound like another great project from her!
ThaInfo1 wrote:It's long af, but I do love it. I love the story behind it. And I got a full album of high vibe tunes. 8-)

Sativa and Never call me are everything. Gotta ride to those in the car at night.

Aescemption with Brandy is beautiful. :cry:

I can tell it's gonna be a project that grows and grows.
flsilva wrote:I'm Just...I'm shaken... It Just feels like an even deeper follow-up to her dealing with her brother's death, her trying to heal. It's everything, it's dreamy, it's trippy, it's heavy and also joyful at times. I love how it's just as a cohese, tell-tale body of work as it is great as individual tracks. So many good songs here, and not a single bad one. It actually didn't feel too long at all to me.
abi
Legend

Postby abi » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:20 am

I like some Jhene's songs here and there including "While We're Young" but I could never get into her whole albums for some reason. It's kind of too moody/artsy for me.

Also while we're here, let's get dizzy to the album cover.

abi
Legend

Postby mattsky » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:08 am

I saw her live last month and she was good!
Haven't been early since '88
mattsky
Superstar

Postby JSparksFan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:35 am

In the Lonely Hour was better than I expected it would be. I hope he releases "Him" at some point. I'm already envisioning Brandon Flynn in the video.
JSparksFan
Legend

Postby ThaInfo1 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:48 am

TRIP is so good. Ultimate Jhene.
ThaInfo1
Legend

Postby heppolo » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:49 am

Jhené Aiko deserves top 10 because this record simply stands out
Waffles are checked cookies
heppolo
Legend

Postby LongingHeart » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:07 am

Beautiful beautiful record!!! I still find myself having new favorites, finding new melodies and new lyrics etc in some songs here and there - she just makes clever and beautiful music.
Ya‘ll should also check her poetry book (2 fish) out 8-)
LongingHeart
Manager

Postby Loose » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:42 pm

abi wrote:12.
Nelly Furtado The Ride
Loose (#55, ‘00s)

* Voted by: Loose, heppolo, cristy, mattsky, WakeUpMusic, GreekGreek, Phoenixx, croatiaxtina, tyguy723
* Genre(s): Indie pop, R&B, Synth pop
* Highlights: "Pipe Dreams”, "Cold Hard Truth”, "Sticks And Stones”, "Flatline”

The Ride is the sixth studio album by Canadian singer Nelly Furtado. The album was released on 31 March 2017 by Furtado's own record label, Nelstar Music.

The album reached number 76 in Furtado's home country, Canada, and also reached the top 100 in Germany, Italy and Switzerland. It did not chart on the UK Albums Chart, but reached number 81 on the UK Album Sales Chart.
Magnificent!! I'm very thrilled Nelly made it into the Top 15 and that's exactly where she belongs!

Whether the R&B content of The Ride may be arguable, the quality of the well-crafted songs isn't!

Yes - the album lacks obvious hits.
Yes - the album isn't especially cohesive.

But it's a pretty damn good collection of urban-influenced songwriting that showcases a rather withdrawn and insightful Nelly Furtado.
It's handled. (Olivia Pope)
Loose
Legend

Postby abi » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:04 am

Calvin Harris Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1
N/A

* Voted by: Benjamin, heppolo, bluecherry, Guru, JSparksFan, Loveguru, Phoenixx, BeeBoy, croatiaxtina, Goldmoney, Ska8er
* Genre(s): Funk, Disco, Post-disco, Boogie
* Highlights: "Feels” (feat. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry & Big Sean), "Slide” (feat. Frank Ocean & Migos), "Rollin” (feat. Future & Khalid), "Faking It” (feat. Kehlani & Lil Yachty)

Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1 is the fifth studio album by Scottish DJ and record producer Calvin Harris. It was released on 30 June 2017 by Columbia Records. The album features guest vocals by Frank Ocean, Migos, Schoolboy Q, PartyNextDoor, DRAM, Young Thug, Pharrell Williams, Ariana Grande, Future, Khalid, Travis Scott, Snoop Dogg, John Legend, Nicki Minaj, Katy Perry, Big Sean, Kehlani, Lil Yachty and Jessie Reyez, as well as prominent writing contributions from Starrah.

Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1 was supported by five singles: "Slide", "Heatstroke", "Rollin", "Feels" and "Faking It". The album received generally positive reviews from critics, and debuted at number two on both the UK Albums Chart and the US Billboard 200.

DnBLover wrote:This album sounds amazing
Hype wrote:This is a good summer album! I like it a lot! None of the songs are better than slide though.
urbanmusik wrote:This LP has a lot more character than Calvin's previous two releases. It strikes a good balance between the playfulness of Calvin's earlier material and his newfound 70s/80s laidback disco R&B sound.

Apart from the singles the two closing tracks are my immediate favourites. Kehlani sounds so good on Faking It, and I love Lil Yachty's line about pepperoni pizza.
luckyONE wrote:This album sounds very good. :o 8-)
abi
Legend

Postby tyguy723 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:59 am

Too much autotune for my vote, had the record been void of it I loved the funk vibes otherwise...
tyguy723
Manager

Return to R&B & Urban